Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
This is the best Mario video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Somethingdumb posted:

I honestly didnt know that Vinci was a place and in the moment thought that Vinci could somehow mean Venice. Or something. It wasnt super smart.

I'll remind you all that the hundred years' war was actually 117 years long and that all things are not as they seem.
If you know a little bit about linguistics but not a lot about a particular language or the various names for a particular place, it's not at all implausible to imagine that, for instance, "Vinci" might be the genitive form of the 15th-century Italian name for Venice. It's not, but it's not that far out there.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
That's basically where I was coming from. I know enough about linguistics to make language questions way more complicated than they sometimes are.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

You see, really I'm too smart to get these questions right.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And Dauphins are known to kill porpoises. Just, you know, out of spite.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, has anyone mentioned Super Hornio Bros. 2? It completely skipped my mind when they were doing the movie.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Patter Song posted:

I read a book on the 100 Years War about a year ago and I was a bit confused at the mention of Joan of Arc's illiteracy because I remember that the book quoted letters from her, but it turns out she dictated those, which makes sense.

EDIT: Also, you are more on-track than you think with dauphin/dolphin. In addition to being the French title for the heir of the throne, it's also the French word for dolphin.

And it's on the Dauphin's coat of arms too:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Reveilled posted:

That thing practically looks like charlie tuna

Orry
Apr 5, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Which is where the title comes from. It literally means dolphin.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Orry posted:

Which is where the title comes from. It literally means dolphin.

What's the french word for "recursion"?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

What's the french word for "recursion"?

Dolphin

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
As a bit of a history buff when it comes to the early middle ages, I will say that nobody except history channel docs and Cracked.com articles actually call it the 'dark ages' anymore. I recommend 'The Inheritance of Rome: Illuminating the Dark Ages 400-1000', though be warned: despite a <700 page size, it's quite possibly the most dense book I've ever read in terms of pure info. Still really fascinating though.

/:spergin:

Anyway, love these videos. The Mario Paint episode is probably some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen. Can't wait till you two actually get to the 3d Marios. I hope it's soon.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
2 years to go rollofthedice.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Mario's Time Machine (1994)
Part 2/2 (LP pt.67) [Youtube]

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Lovin' that background Shrek

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Frenchman was Rousseau, who hosed about 3/4 as much as Franklin. Locke was the British man who believed that salt caused all conflict between people because it meant you could stockpile preserved meat and become rich.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You need to become video editing wizards so you can have the Mario detonation animation at the end of each game you play.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

"Best" part about this game? You're on an invisible loving time limit. Take too long to get to the end? Bowser won't be there, he'll just be relaxing on a beach somewhere and you get a generic "Welp, try to do it faster next time" and that's it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You know, this game seems to be pretty good for what it is. It's a bit tedious to see it all at once, but I probably would've enjoyed working my way through it more slowly when I was younger. I probably would've learned some stuff I didn't know, and it was genuinely funny when talking to all the strange people around the cities. It was certainly better than Mario is Missing by a long shot.

Ometeotl posted:

"Best" part about this game? You're on an invisible loving time limit. Take too long to get to the end? Bowser won't be there, he'll just be relaxing on a beach somewhere and you get a generic "Welp, try to do it faster next time" and that's it.

This sounds like bullshit though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

But...you have a time machine... :negative:

EDIT: Just finished watching the video. You guys :allears:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 26, 2014

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Congratulations on getting me to scream "Montecello" at my screen. Ugh.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Regy Rusty posted:

You know, this game seems to be pretty good for what it is. It's a bit tedious to see it all at once, but I probably would've enjoyed working my way through it more slowly when I was younger. I probably would've learned some stuff I didn't know, and it was genuinely funny when talking to all the strange people around the cities. It was certainly better than Mario is Missing by a long shot.

Because, minus the time limit garbage, it is. I had fun with it as a kid, which is more than I could say about Mario is Missing.

For the record, the people in the past do give you items that you're supposed to give to others in the same time period. You press a button and it'll switch the active item in the top left corner and you get to continue learning what is needed to fill in the blanks.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Squallege posted:

You need to become video editing wizards so you can have the Mario detonation animation at the end of each game you play.

That would actually be like 2 minutes worth of work. Not saying we'll ever do that, but we could easily do that.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

ikanreed posted:

Congratulations on getting me to scream "Montecello" at my screen. Ugh.

Oddly enough, that was the only Tom J-Fresh answer I knew immediately (aside from 1776 and 'he was president').

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Somethingdumb posted:

That would actually be like 2 minutes worth of work. Not saying we'll ever do that, but we could easily do that.

I have literally no video skills so just about anything seems super difficult to me.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The German Ludwig does correspond to the French Louis, but it also corresponds to the Italian Luigi. In those days people tended to just let themselves be called by the local equivalent of their name when travelling.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Patter Song posted:

The German Ludwig does correspond to the French Louis, but it also corresponds to the Italian Luigi.

If only Mario used the "WEEGEE!" voice sample when talking to Beethoven.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
So when people mentioned "if only I had ____ document I could tell you more" was there a way to bring them said document? I think maybe part 1 had a better example of this but I don't remember specifically what it was. Or like in this video the 2 guys who said they could tell you more a little bit later, in I think 1776. It just seems that if you needed to get all the answers from the game there are some missing.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

ZevGun posted:

So when people mentioned "if only I had ____ document I could tell you more" was there a way to bring them said document? I think maybe part 1 had a better example of this but I don't remember specifically what it was. Or like in this video the 2 guys who said they could tell you more a little bit later, in I think 1776. It just seems that if you needed to get all the answers from the game there are some missing.

Kyle insisted that we couldn't, but several YouTube comments said that we totally could and that every era had a trading sequence.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ZevGun posted:

Ometeotl posted:

For the record, the people in the past do give you items that you're supposed to give to others in the same time period. You press a button and it'll switch the active item in the top left corner and you get to continue learning what is needed to fill in the blanks.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

19LettersLong posted:

Mario's Time Machine (1994)
Part 2/2 (LP pt.67) [Youtube]

The best part of these were how well-timed the thermal detonator appearing was to your guys' moods.

Also, came for the history lesson, stayed for the detonator, rated 5 for the Super Wicked Gross-O.

is that like a colloquialism cuz "wicked" as an adjective definitely feels East Coast. Then again you guys are from there-ish so that would make sense, just I haven't heard you guys use "wicked" as a descriptor before unless that term is actually quoting something else.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 27, 2014

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
'Wicked' as an adverb is a thing up here in New England, used basically as a substitute for 'a lot' or 'very'.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

So between Keith and Kyle, who's the Doc and who's Marty?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Since there's not a general RunButton thread I just wanted to say congratulations to Keith for his masterful no damage/no slam/no slide 100% secrets Crash Bandicoot 2 speedrun.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Barfing Cumlord posted:

Since there's not a general RunButton thread I just wanted to say congratulations to Keith for his masterful no damage/no slam/no slide 100% secrets Crash Bandicoot 2 speedrun.

Thanks, I was very impressive. Here's the video for anyone that wants to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixJ8ttnvADw

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, uh, Monticello.

Do either of you have in your possession at the moment a United States nickel?

Examine the front and back carefully.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Glazius posted:

So, uh, Monticello.

Yeah, a lot of people have said this:
1. i dont spend a lot of time looking at the back of nickels and I dont think many people do. Like maybe two people.
2. even looking at the back of a nickel and recognizing the big, super recognizable building that OF COURSE I know, you'd still have to care enough to read money which, again, no one loving does.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Glazius posted:

So, uh, Monticello.

I only use buffalo nickels.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I checked the nickel very carefully under a blacklight and the front and back are distinctly Sally Hemings' vagina and rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nickels? What are you, poor?

• Locked thread