Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The only public opinion that matters to Israel is U.S. public opinion and they have that locked down for at least the next decade. In fact, it's not even U.S. public opinion that matters, it's the opinion of U.S. politicians. The Obama administration has shown a total lack of will to force the issue. In 2016, it doesn't matter if Hillary or the Republican is elected because both will show deference to Israel. So Israel has the U.S. political class locked in for the next decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

murphyslaw posted:

Lucky. Comment fields over here are usually rabidly pro-Zionist, calling for the heads of editors for daring to publish something mean about Israel, and screaming bloody murder about pro-terrorist bias and political correctness gone mad whenever an article comes out suggesting that Israel may be acting a little excessively, even when it takes pains to provide a 'balanced' view.

I can't really put my finger on why, except perhaps for a deeply rooted fear of Arabs.

They're paranoid, bloodthirsty, psychotically racist colonialists with a victim complex who go through universal military indoctrination. What do you expect, a drum circle?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

radical meme posted:

The only public opinion that matters to Israel is U.S. public opinion and they have that locked down for at least the next decade. In fact, it's not even U.S. public opinion that matters, it's the opinion of U.S. politicians. The Obama administration has shown a total lack of will to force the issue. In 2016, it doesn't matter if Hillary or the Republican is elected because both will show deference to Israel. So Israel has the U.S. political class locked in for the next decade.
Also 100% of the Senate voted to sign a letter expressing that basically all of this is Hamas' fault, despite it of course not actually being that way.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Tezzor posted:

They're paranoid, bloodthirsty, psychotically racist colonialists with a victim complex who go through universal military indoctrination. What do you expect, a drum circle?

I'm posting from Norway, haha. 'Drum circle' basically describes our politics, usually. That and 'entitlement complex'

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

Entropia posted:

another thing i'd like to know, is there any reaction from the class of highly-educated university types? one would imagine that when a state goes pseudo-fascist like Israel seems to be, the cosmopolitan learned classes flee.

Not Israeli but an American Jew. Scott Aaronson is a well-regarded MIT based theoretical computer scientist and an expert in quantum information. Critical thinking seems to shut down completely on issues regarding israel.
http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=1939

FaceAttack
Apr 25, 2007

that's mah bitch

radical meme posted:

You are forgetting to mention the massive amount of funds being spent to make sure that Senators and Congressmen toe the line on I/P or become blacklisted. Until that influence evaporates, nothing will happen in my estimation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

That Hamas, they must be everywhere.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Youtube video of a massive airstrike 20 minutes prior to the ceasefire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NANqcKIrbV0

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Tezzor posted:

that horse (?) must be eternally terrified

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Remarkable precision and restraint. The horse made it out alive!

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Tezzor posted:

How is that not a criminal act?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Jesus christ

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Tezzor posted:

This must be what its like having a psychotic roommate you constantly get in arguments with who thinks the whole house is his house and when you finally agree to take a break so you can get some sleep they pickup the kitchen garbage bin and throw it into your bed with a smug "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?" face.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SedanChair posted:

That Hamas, they must be everywhere.

Obviously since the IDF is turning Gaza into one of those old Stalingrad pics.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So the original plan was to impose the 12 hour humanitarian ceasefire, and during that window, to work on negotiations to expand it an extra 12-24 hours. Israeli cabinet just passed an extra 4 hours. :eng99:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So in funhouse ceasefire world, does "continuing to destroy tunnels" mean "continuing to bomb"? Will they just say that there was a tunnel instead of that Hamas launched a rocket nearby?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Tezzor posted:

A ceasefire implies that you fire before it. I dont get why continuing to fight before the ceasefire goes into effect is noteworthy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
According to the IDF it's impossible to damage the tunnels with air strikes so hopefully that's one justification we aren't going to hear.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

So in funhouse ceasefire world, does "continuing to destroy tunnels" mean "continuing to bomb"? Will they just say that there was a tunnel instead of that Hamas launched a rocket nearby?

3 IDF soldiers died overnight, so obviously there was still fighting.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
New excuse: The core of the earth counts as a tunnel.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
From Al Jazeera: Israeli police have banned an anti-war rally scheduled for 8pm tonight in Tel Aviv, citing "security concerns" about large crowds gathering outside.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GaussianCopula posted:

A ceasefire implies that you fire before it. I dont get why continuing to fight before the ceasefire goes into effect is noteworthy.

*group of football hooligans kicking an unconscious man*

"I'm about to cease hostilities. Guys, get ready to stop kicking him, I'm about to cease hostilities. Keep kicking for now though I have to really cap this off." *goes off to find giant rock to drop on unconscious man's spine*

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

New excuse: The core of the earth counts as a tunnel.

As long as the Israeli government believes in the hollow-earth theory this might be understandable.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

SedanChair posted:

*group of football hooligans kicking an unconscious man*

"I'm about to cease hostilities. Guys, get ready to stop kicking him, I'm about to cease hostilities. Keep kicking for now though I have to really cap this off." *goes off to find giant rock to drop on unconscious man's spine*

That is pretty much the attitude of the IDF going back to the 6day war or Yom Kippur war. You always try to achieve as much as possible before you are stopped.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

From Al Jazeera: Israeli police have banned an anti-war rally scheduled for 8pm tonight in Tel Aviv, citing "security concerns" about large crowds gathering outside.

The Israeli police have been pretty lenient with the protests so far. The safety of the protesters can't be guaranteed at all, and cops have been sticking themselves in between counter protesters throwing rocks and left wing protesters on a daily basis for a while. They had to hide all the protesters in a dark alley once and commandeer a public bus to get them all out safely. At least once it turned into a huge brawl in a cafe. However, people are saying the Tel Aviv protest will go on anyway, and some are coming from Jerusalem to join it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
The philosopher David Enoch wrote a piece in Haaretz (he didn't translate it...it's a bit...awkward at places). Here it is.

quote:

The pictures of the horror and the stories of the brutality in Gaza are unbearable. No decent person could remain unmoved by so much suffering and pain — in many cases of innocent people, including children. But decent people dull their emotions; they often say: So what do you propose?

Not that this is an illegitimate question; people have a right not to be attacked. They have a right to demand that their country act to protect them from attacks; the state is responsible for protecting its citizens. Because of Hamas’ manipulations — for example, the use of human shields — and for reasons like the crowding in much of Gaza, Israel has no other way to meet this responsibility and cause fewer civilian casualties. In other words, if you have an idea about a different way, offer it. If you don’t, shut up.

One way to view this assertion's problems is to consider the notion that nations have a right to self-determination. People have a right not to live under occupation, repression and a blockade, as well as personal and national degradation. People have a right to have hope and a reasonable standard of living. Leaders are responsible for making sure that their people are not denied these rights.

Because of Israel’s manipulations — the settlement policy, the unwillingness for true negotiations — and because of the economic, technological and military disparities, the Palestinian leaders have no way to guarantee these rights save terror, including the use of human shields. In other words, if you have an idea about a different way, offer it. If you don’t, shut up.

Most of us aren’t convinced by this assertion, and justifiably so. But why not? And how is it different from the similar contention about the brutal attacks on Gaza?

The problem in trying to justify terror is that when a certain goal appears just and a certain method appears best for achieving it, this method shouldn't necessarily be used. There’s a general principle: Some means — even though they’re best for achieving a goal — might be so evil that the goal should be dropped, as long as we’re not forced to pursue it. If the only way to promote freedom from repression is terror, this could be enough to justify dropping this legitimate goal.

Similarly, if the only way to protect ourselves from the rocket threat and maybe even the tunnel threat is to cause death, injury, suffering and destruction in Gaza, maybe we should drop the legitimate goal of preventing these dangers.

But maybe there’s no need to rush and forgo these goals. For example, the Palestinian side could hold a nonviolent campaign for national independence. And the Israeli side could conduct true negotiations to solve the problems of Gaza, not just defeat Gaza. The minute you look beyond the present moment, you discover possibilities.

One key task for leaders is to prevent tragic scenarios in which legitimate goals can only be promoted through horrible means. The Palestinian leaders sometimes appear to fail in fulfilling this obligation. The Israeli leaders have certainly failed at it. Their policies in recent years have brought about the current situation — the settlements, the blockade of Gaza, the delegitimization of the Palestinian Authority and its leaders, and especially the deliberate effort in recent weeks to shatter the Palestinian reconciliation.

I am not naive. Peoples and countries tend not to concede their strategic goals just because of the unforgivable moral cost of achieving them, especially when the price is lives on the other side, and when such efforts are made to deny their humanity and ignore their suffering. Israel will continue to cause indescribable suffering, which there is no way to view as proportional to its legitimate goals. And Hamas will continue to attack civilians and employ terror, like every other nation in a similar situation struggle. Not enough blood has been spilled, it seems.

But at least we should shirk the feeling of moral superiority, as if there were no resemblance between us and them, as if there were nothing to compare. Anyone who understands the horrors of Gaza and asks “so what do you propose?”— as if that were enough to bury the implications of these horrors — uses the same argument that the terrorists use.

Volkerball posted:

The Israeli police have been pretty lenient with the protests so far. The safety of the protesters can't be guaranteed at all, and cops have been sticking themselves in between counter protesters throwing rocks and left wing protesters on a daily basis for a while. They had to hide all the protesters in a dark alley once and commandeer a public bus to get them all out safely. At least once it turned into a huge brawl in a cafe. However, people are saying the Tel Aviv protest will go on anyway, and some are coming from Jerusalem to join it.
Good to know, thanks.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GaussianCopula posted:

That is pretty much the attitude of the IDF going back to the 6day war or Yom Kippur war. You always try to achieve as much as possible before you are stopped.

And when your enemy is not an army, but every school and hospital inside the concentration camp you set up, all the more reason to be thorough.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm reading "Goldstone Recants" by Finkelstein, it's only 27 pages and it sheds a lot of light both about Goldstone's recantation, the original report and the implications of Goldstone's recantation.

http://www.amazon.com/Goldstone-Recants-Norman-Finkelstein-ebook/dp/B0054DR2JK

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

What do Palestinians do between picking up rubble? Sit in their house and wait to die? I can't imagine a lot of people are going to any sort of job. What a depressing existence, either day in the next air strike or go pick up the remains it left.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Bury their family members

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shaocaholica posted:

Reading the comments people are noticing a cut in the footage from ground shadows and stuff drifting in the wind suggesting that it's not accurate to real time.

People have nitpicked basically every video from the conflict, like the guy looking for his family who was murdered by the Israeli sniper was supposedly fake because there was distortion in the video for a second and people didn't think the bang sounded right.

It's a tactic that's deliberately used to deflect discussion from the video's topic.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What do you guys think the best plausible outcome is?

Short of something crazy turning international support into political suicide and enabling a two-(viable) state solution, maybe Palestine can aggregate and use its status as 'Weak But Dangerous' as a basis for negotiating the best one-state apartheid they can get.

I don't think anything better than that's plausible and think we're a shoe-in for migrants from the Palestinian diaspora festooning the Middle East.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Accretionist posted:

I don't think anything better than that's plausible and think we're a shoe-in for migrants from the Palestinian diaspora festooning the Middle East.
This is what I go with....I think eventually down the road some Israeli leader will drop all pretense and just annex the remainder of Palestinian territory and force out whoever's left. That could be a long way in the future, but it seems inevitable.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Accretionist posted:

What do you guys think the best plausible outcome is?

Short of something crazy turning international support into political suicide and enabling a two-(viable) state solution, maybe Palestine can aggregate and use its status as 'Weak But Dangerous' as a basis for negotiating the best one-state apartheid they can get.

Weak states can't negotiate with a strong one in good faith and any sort of terror response like the Qassam rockets have been neutralized by Israel's huge tech advantage.

The only way out is for Israel to become a pariah state similar to apartheid area South Africa and get punished with things like economic sanctions/large scale disinvestment campaigns.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Israeli politics continues to degrade to the point that they elect a PM who publicly calls President Clinton a whore to Muslim dogs for suggesting the mildest possibly reform.

This is honestly what I think is going to move things forward. Not slow sympathy for the Palestinian cause, but rapid crazification in Israel.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

Israeli politics continues to degrade to the point that they elect a PM who publicly calls President Clinton a whore to Muslim dogs for suggesting the mildest possibly reform.

This is honestly what I think is going to move things forward. Not slow sympathy for the Palestinian cause, but rapid crazification in Israel.

It's going to get worse rather than better since the 18-35 israeli demographic is also increasingly right wing in voting habits too.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

etalian posted:

Weak states can't negotiate with a strong one in good faith and any sort of terror response like the Qassam rockets have been neutralized by Israel's huge tech advantage.

The only way out is for Israel to become a pariah state similar to apartheid area South Africa and get punished with things like economic sanctions/large scale disinvestment campaigns.

I'll eat my own cum if this ever happens. You can toxx me on that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Agrajag posted:

I'll eat my own cum if this ever happens. You can toxx me on that.

Be prepared. Nothing lasts forever. Israel is one United States away from becoming the 21st century's South Africa...which is remarkably close to actual South Africa.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

etalian posted:

It's going to get worse rather than better since the 18-35 israeli demographic is also increasingly right wing in voting habits too.

At the same time as 18-35 year old Americans are increasingly disgusted by Israel. We may see some change yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

DarkCrawler posted:

Be prepared. Nothing lasts forever. Israel is one United States away from becoming the 21st century's South Africa...which is remarkably close to actual South Africa.

I'm pretty sure it is political suicide to even hint at Israel being "not right", in America.

• Locked thread