Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009

davejk posted:

Yes, and it worked really well. It maps melee, grenades and your super to the touchscreen and sprint to down on the d-pad.

The gameplay being as slow and floaty as it is completely offsets the slight input lag you get from remote playing over the Internet, too, so it's not unreasonable to play it from outside your house if you have a solid connection on both ends.
I imagine playing the missions on Normal and using an Auto Rifle + Shotgun/Fusion Rifle should take care of most of the potential problems with aiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

MrLonghair posted:

Official website: http://www.destinythegame.com
Database, character builder etc: http://www.destinydb.com

PGS clan thread and how to enter http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644857 Due to a clan size limit of 75 there will be several smaller but all operating under the flag of the group of the goons, sub-clans are listed in that thread!

Come group up with goons! IRC channel #destinygoons on synIRC http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/125806

MrLonghair, maybe we should move this part of the information to the top of the second post, instead of the bottom of the first?

EDIT also looks like there's a random link to AusGoons at the end there.

whoknew fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 28, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

davejk posted:

sprint to down on the d-pad.

How does this work anyways, do you just hold down and you'll automatically run forward, or do you have to press down on the dpad while pushing forward on the stick?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Broseph Brostar posted:

How does this work anyways, do you just hold down and you'll automatically run forward, or do you have to press down on the dpad while pushing forward on the stick?

You have to hold it but it's really easy to do the vita sticks are short.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
For those who were busy during the two hours of the Moon, uploaded my first trip to the moon and doing the mission http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22bmkl_that-guardian-came-from-earth_videogames (whenever it finishes encoding). Had to take it down to 720p to get it to even upload, still better video quality than what youtube provides and you can easily download the raw uncompressed file.

Mm mm, thank you.

whoknew posted:

MrLonghair, maybe we should move this part of the information to the top of the second post, instead of the bottom of the first?

EDIT also looks like there's a random link to AusGoons at the end there.

Yeah it didn't quite fill up down there. Maybe bottom first for media impressionce once it's reviewtime.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

FishBulb posted:

You have to hold it but it's really easy to do the vita sticks are short.

Yeah after some remote play with my VITA I have to say that the implementation of sprint on the D-pad as well as lack of dance emoting (for crucible of course) is why I will limit it to normal mode PvE play.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There was a "7" face tattoo for the exo. :colbert:

There are a few pvp medals that require streaks of 7.

So glad I read this thread, else I'd still be using pulse rifles in pvp and thinking I suck completely instead of just a little bit.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Tyberius posted:

Yeah after some remote play with my VITA I have to say that the implementation of sprint on the D-pad as well as lack of dance emoting (for crucible of course) is why I will limit it to normal mode PvE play.

Emotes are still there! You just hold left on the d-pad then press a face button (so dancing is left + circle).

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
Sprint is also a toggle. Once you are sprinting you don't need to hold in the stick (or the d-pad button on Vita), you'll continue sprinting until you stop moving.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

davejk posted:

Yes, and it worked really well. It maps melee, grenades and your super to the touchscreen and sprint to down on the d-pad.

The gameplay being as slow and floaty as it is completely offsets the slight input lag you get from remote playing over the Internet, too, so it's not unreasonable to play it from outside your house if you have a solid connection on both ends.

Sounds good, I'm not home a ton so it's nice to be able to at least take care of the menial stuff like manage gear/shop over lunch or at my girlfriend's place. That it's even playable enough for basic missions is icing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Tyberius posted:

Yeah I wouldn't try to do any PVP with it. It might hurt my already mediocre kdr and then better goons would make fun of me :(

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

FishBulb posted:

Yeah I wouldn't try to do any PVP with it. It might hurt my already mediocre kdr and then better goons would make fun of me :(

Don't worry, I'll do that anyway. :smugbert:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Crossposting from Imp Zone...

Hope you guys like paying $60 for sub-10 hour games and endless DLC!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/07/28/bungies-destiny-might-be-smaller-than-everyone-thinks/

Truly peak Activision

[fixed link]

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 28, 2014

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

zenintrude posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...veryone-thinks/

Truly peak Activision

I played the beta for 40 hours.

Edit: For free. I would retroactively pay them $60 just for what my friends and I got out of the alpha/beta. I'd pay them ANOTHER $60 just to have them release the beta content again.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

gameday posted:

I played the beta for 40 hours.

You may want to get that checked out

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

zenintrude posted:

Truly peak Activision

This is stupid, Forbes is consistently full of nonsense, and the beta alone could be played for way longer than 10 hours.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

zenintrude posted:

Truly peak Activision

I too get my gaming news from Forbes.

Really the voice of our generation

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I probably logged about 5-ish hours into Destiny beta but I didn't play any of the PVP content. I'm not sure how that dude played all the missions in one hour unless he completely ignored the tower, the explore mode, and just bunny hopped his way through.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

zenintrude posted:

Truly peak Activision

All the Halos had 10-15 hour single players. No one cares about that crap. Well, except the people who do, but they aren't me.

pr0digal posted:

I too get my gaming news from Forbes.

Really the voice of our generation

Forbes has better games coverage than pretty much any dedicated 'games journalism' site.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

If you read the article Bungie themselves shot it down. They obviously have a vested interest in selling their game, but I think drawing any serious conclusions about how much content is going to be in the final game based solely on a beta is pretty silly. There's an unclear amount of endgame content, datamining has provided us with some good numbers as far as strikes and raids go, etc.

Ultimately, we're all just guessing. Bungie are the only ones who really know and they're not really saying anything concrete. I certainly hope Destiny has a good amount of content out of the box, though.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Quest For Glory II posted:

I probably logged about 5-ish hours into Destiny beta but I didn't play any of the PVP content. I'm not sure how that dude played all the missions in one hour unless he completely ignored the tower, the explore mode, and just bunny hopped his way through.

Maybe he's just incredibly pro okay

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The 'endless DLC' thing is a legitimate gripe and something I hate (yay for splitting the pvp community within a matter of months) but griping about game length is retarded if what you get is enjoyable. People spend $20+ for two hour films.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Playing the 5 story missions on normal really doesn't take all that long if you're good at FPSes. Playing them on hard when underleveled is a whole different story, maybe he should have done that if he was blowing through them too quickly.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
So this is why developers/publishers don't do demos anymore...

e: like, I don't mean to say no one should question how much content will be in the game but drawing any formal conclusions at this point is ridiculous. Anyone concerned about how much game they get should just wait for reviews/initial gooncensus before making a purchase and that's that.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 28, 2014

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Playing the 5 story missions on normal really doesn't take all that long if you're good at FPSes. Playing them on hard when underleveled is a whole different story, maybe he should have done that if he was blowing through them too quickly.

In any case, 'Story' missions are but one aspect of the game. Hell, I spent over 12 hours tooling around in Explore. 17 hours logged in the Beta, all in, and I didn't even touch the Crucible.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

DangerKat posted:

Yeah I'm beginning to understand it. In this thread alone you have people who played for 10-20 hours complaining that the final version won't have enough content. Everyone is just using the beta to draw a ton of conjecture about the final game, and it's pretty much just a bunch of baseless guesswork. It's kinda mind boggling to me.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't try to critically evaluate the beta, but people should take it in context.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

DangerKat posted:

nor should they. video gamers are the worst.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I may be crazy on this but I'm probably gonna play through the campaign three times anyway just to do it with all three classes. Even if it's only 10 hours of story, that ends up being 30, and there's still all the side stuff that the guy isn't counting but everyone will sink time into. Honestly I'd be surprised if the campaign by itself breaches 20 hours in total, but it'll probably be impossible to tell due to all the side activities that'll end up distracting us for hours on the way to the end of the story. When a game has a strong amount of replayability it's story length doesn't matter.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I don't think you're crazy. A shorter campaign is appealing in the context of leveling multiple classes. Isn't that part of why the level cap is only 20, too?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

DangerKat posted:

That's a fair point. Isn't that also what Bungie said about using such a low level cap?

From what I remember Bungie talked about how they don't want it to be a grind to get to 20 and start experiencing the endgame content. I wonder if you'll hit 20 before you finish the story? It'll be interesting to see.

I'm not really worried about the DLC, either. As long as they can put out quality content for a reasonable price I'll buy it. If they don't deliver, then I won't. I get the concern over multiplayer maps fracturing the community but I don't remember it being a problem in the previous Bungie games.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I hope you can level consistently via pvp because if it's possible I'm going to hit 20 without touching the story at all. Gotta have those pvpurples.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Don't forget the grind to reach the most important part of the game: to get the most ballin rear end ship and over the top gear in order to be the most fashionable space shootmans.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

DangerKat posted:

I don't think you're crazy. A shorter campaign is appealing in the context of leveling multiple classes. Isn't that part of why the level cap is only 20, too?

In all honesty I doubt the campaign will be short, it'll probably be a suitable length of around 15 hours I bet give or take a few. Doing it for all three classes could put it close to some jRPGs in length. No idea about the level cap, but that makes sense. There's some speculation that the leveling will either be slower in the release or it will get slower as you get to higher levels.

So much of this is crap we won't know until release, there was a decent chunk of content for the beta, as evidenced by some of us playing for a solid day or so, but it's really just scratching the surface. Like the scratches on the Moon's surface.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are also a lot of hints about progression systems that aren't part of the basic 1-20 leveling. Strange coins, motes of light, faction rewards, and so on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DangerKat posted:

On the other hand I had absolutely no interest in this game until I played the beta.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

haveblue posted:

There are also a lot of hints about progression systems that aren't part of the basic 1-20 leveling. Strange coins, motes of light, faction rewards, and so on.

There is also the secondary progression system of the Light stat which I'm sure is the gear check system in place for endgame strikes and raids.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

If anyone hasn't checked out their medals on bungie.net you should do so before they wipe everything, it's really cool seeing what they actually mean and how many you've received. I like how they weigh them based upon how difficult they are too. Really hope they improve the in-game multiplayer interface before launch, it was weird as hell how you couldn't see your and everyone elses medals in the postgame.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Am I allowed to pop into this thread just to say that this soundtrack is absolutely incredible? I'm floored and can't wait for the full release.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

a cop posted:

If anyone hasn't checked out their medals on bungie.net you should do so before they wipe everything, it's really cool seeing what they actually mean and how many you've received. I like how they weigh them based upon how difficult they are too. Really hope they improve the in-game multiplayer interface before launch, it was weird as hell how you couldn't see your and everyone elses medals in the postgame.

My plan is to get a billion points on "Back in Action" medals alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Siets posted:

Am I allowed to pop into this thread just to say that this soundtrack is absolutely incredible? I'm floored and can't wait for the full release.

Only if we're allowed to inform you that Marty O'Donnel has been fired :( Good news is he was fired near the end of development so it's still basically his score. It's seriously so fuckin' good, love those war drums.

• Locked thread