Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Koobze posted:

What if it only does the mining during menu times? Or while you're in the VAB/contracts screen/tracking station? My question wasn't exactly serious, but there are certainly ways to make it non-obvious. You could probably even have the mod kick off some other mining app when you shut down KSP, and have it die when you restart KSP or something...

Propose it to Majiir, that can only be the next logical progression of ModStatistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DStecks posted:

For the love of god, just install the loving mods you want for now.

Majiir is a shitstain who needs the fear of god put into him, but for the moment you are not going to get viruses or have any kind of real privacy violated by ModStatistics.

I haven't looked at it myself, but if the clear HTTP autoupdater discussion is remotely accurate I wouldn't say this at all. Majiir probably isn't going to intentionally deliver anything significantly worse that what he currently does (which personally I don't have a problem with once there's a clear option associated with it, even if it is default on). The problem is that until the updater is secured anyone who plays Kerbal with it installed while connected to an untrusted network is at risk of receiving any arbitrary stuff the network's operator desires.

They don't have to use HTTPS, but if they don't they MUST use some other method to ensure that the package downloaded was actually from the mod developer and had not been tampered with or replaced in transit.

Basically if you have one of these mods with crappy autoupdaters I strongly recommend not running Kerbal on public WiFi or at LAN parties. Home is fine, if a malicious attacker has control of your home DNS or can intercept HTTP traffic you have bigger problems.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 29, 2014

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
Back in the land where people smile and go outside during the day, while I'm liking contracts, it seems more like an evolution than a revolution. Science was already plenty of an excuse to test new frontiers, with the multipliers for harder biomes. Funding really just makes a gentle suggestion to build ships efficiently instead of giant Jeb-approved monster rigs. Contracts are kinda nice for new gameplay challenges, but of course they need some tweaking. Reputation... it's just making me reload. Admittedly, maybe I need to try an XCOM style hardcore run and discover new sorts of fun. So results are tentative.

The problem with limited funds/rep and the test contracts, is there's no simulator, so I just reload. If I could fly a certain number of "simulation" flights before a hardcore run where I have to accept success or failure, I'd be more inclined to not reload. As is, I'm doubly not going to fly all the way to Mun just to run out of delta-vee AND lose funds/rep. That's borderline not fun.

So my dream/suggestion? Squad should get a simulator in by v1. Maybe do some nifty bits like accepting a contract gives you so many simulator tickets, and the tickets expire with the contract so you can't just collect them (unless you chain together several missions at once). Do some "this is cyberspace" texture effects to remind you what mode you're in. Plus, new crewmember: An army of clones of Virtual Kerman, the only Kerbal braver and dumber than Jeb.

Back in the land of Mountain Dew Gamer Fuel:

Can we just stop celebrity-worshipping the shitlords? It's all oh woe is us, for the great and mighty Him has such power. We've already forked most projects, and the only major line of complaint is damnit squad require forkification.

DStecks posted:

For the love of god, just install the loving mods you want for now.

Asterisk, you can disable ModStatistics easily. Google it.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
How would a simulator work? It doesn't sound very fun to do a mission first in a simulator to see that it works, and then do it again for the reward. The game is already basically a simulator, I don't see any reason to add another level of simulation that just makes you play everything twice.

A simulator where you can just instantly jump into a predefined situation would be nice though. For example, if I want to make an orbital station around another planet or build a lander, I cannot easily experiment with different designs to see what works best because just getting everything in place is challenging and time-consuming. Something like a scenario, where you start already in place somewhere, but with whatever ship design you want.

Also, there are just so many reasons to quickload in this game that any sort of "ironman mode" would be infuriating. For example, I have several times misclicked when trying to exit warp mode and ended up smashing into the ground at high speed.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Looking into the forkification deal. On another note, reading the last few pages of the thread has me like this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The thought of a simulator in KSP is super amusing to me. What do they call it, Human Space Program? :v:

If aerodynamics ever become an actual system, some kind of airflow simulator/visualization would be super awesome. Like it does some kind of wind tunnel simulation that shows where bits hanging off the craft create turbulence and imbalance, allowing you to fix them without having to launch and watch the rocket veer into the ocean.

Veering into the ocean is definitely part of the fun of the game, but real time feedback would be a big help when making more tricky craft.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

Looking into the forkification deal. On another note, reading the last few pages of the thread has me like this.

Worst :10bux: you ever spent, huh?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Can someone tell me what's causing me to crash? As soon as I choose my save the game crashes. Already tried removing some mods that I just downloaded, removing mods mentioned on the crash log, but no dice. I'm pretty bad at this stuff.
And I even updated mods that were called incompatible on the loading screen.

http://a.pomf.se/ssnvns.rar

e: running x64, no surprise

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Refraining from pressing those tempting Revert and F9 buttons is just another test of your ironman will. You don't need the game to slap your wrist when you try, knowing you're a quitter is its own punishment. Quitter.

xzzy posted:

The thought of a simulator in KSP is super amusing to me. What do they call it, Human Space Program? :v:

Kerbal Kerbal Space Program Program

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

haveblue posted:

Refraining from pressing those tempting Revert and F9 buttons is just another test of your ironman will. You don't need the game to slap your wrist when you try, knowing you're a quitter is its own punishment. Quitter.

Kerbal Kerbal Space Program Program

KSP²

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Is there any good method of estimating fuel requirements without spreadsheets?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

haveblue posted:

You can disable them in the alt-f12 menu.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fuel requirements for what? I think you can look up the approximate optimal delta V for taking off from any given planet, as well as transfer dVs between various bodies, and kerbal engineer/mechjeb can give you total dV of a rocket in the VAB I think.

What are you wanting the fuel requirements for?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

accipter posted:

Is there any good method of estimating fuel requirements without spreadsheets?

If its to the Mun or Minmus, a few K dv will get you there and back (after the 4500 launch requirement).
If its to another planet/moon, you could stick a station or probe in orbit around Kerbin and then plot a maneuver node to get to wherever. Then double your current total for the return trip (shouldn't be that much, but cushion never hurt). If you want to land or take off from somewhere, that's another issue entirely.

Really, do a search for "kerbal delta-v map" and you'll find a bunch of ballpark guides to get where you need to go. Just remember most are best-case Hohmann transfers; if you're outside that window you'll need more gas.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

What are you wanting the fuel requirements for?

I have been meaning to play around with MechJeb and this gives me yet another reason. I am just getting into KSP, but I was stuck on the Mun without enough fuel and looking for ways to prevent that.

OAquinas posted:

If its to the Mun or Minmus, a few K dv will get you there and back (after the 4500 launch requirement).
If its to another planet/moon, you could stick a station or probe in orbit around Kerbin and then plot a maneuver node to get to wherever. Then double your current total for the return trip (shouldn't be that much, but cushion never hurt). If you want to land or take off from somewhere, that's another issue entirely.

Really, do a search for "kerbal delta-v map" and you'll find a bunch of ballpark guides to get where you need to go. Just remember most are best-case Hohmann transfers; if you're outside that window you'll need more gas.

Thanks.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

In the base game how do you know your delta V to even use those resources?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BitBasher posted:

You don't, it's been one of the biggest UI feature requests for a long time and why Kerbal Engineer is pretty much mandatory to get beyond Minmus.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Easy:

But really, you don't. Stock game is best played by feel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Once you get into space, a nuclear engine will get you anywhere, and generally, even with the new budget system, it's not too expensive to over engineer to just give yourself way more dV than you need.

For the mun specifically, I generally find it helpful to include a capsule, a small fuel tank, and a small rockomax engine that detaches from the main lander, that'll always get you home with any science you have.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

xzzy posted:

Worst :10bux: you ever spent, huh?

I bought an account after being talked into making LP's by Totalbiscuit. It turned out to be way too much work so I just lurked and eventually started playing EVE. It has been a good 10 bux.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Well, poo poo. I tracked a bunch of asteroids, and only when I found one on a suitable path did I pick up the contract to bring it into orbit around Kerbin. Didn't notice the contract specifying that I had to take the contract first before tracking the asteroid....

At least I figured out how to capture an asteroid (with a generous amount of help from Mechjeb), so now I just need to do it again. Can I put an asteroid to use somehow (with mods) or should I just "land" them on the Mission Control building?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
There are some mods that make them a source of resources, and one that I recall that makes them into storage space for your own resources. I'd leave it in orbit anyway, no telling what they might be useful for in stock in future updates.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Forget delta-V, stock doesn't even have TWR. You won't know if your ship (or each stage) can lift its own weight until you test it.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
The rule of thumb where you need 10 kilo-Newtons of thrust for every 1000 kg of mass of the ship to achieve a TWR of 1 on Kerbin works. However, when I get to the point in a career game where I'm breaking out my old TI-83 to plan stuff and figure out dV and TWR for longer trips is when I'll usually just install Kerbal Engineer Redux.

I could see it being fair in stock to not provide that functionality to the player until they demonstrate they're capable of solving the problems. Achieving mastery of all the parts of the game takes awhile.

forfeit
Oct 5, 2008

John_A_Tallon posted:

I could see it being fair in stock to not provide that functionality to the player until they demonstrate they're capable of solving the problems. Achieving mastery of all the parts of the game takes awhile.

I'd love to see Fine Print take MechJeb's gated module unlocks in the tech tree and instead tie them to research contracts. In fact, a new progression where you test parts to unlock them would be interesting.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

Forget delta-V, stock doesn't even have TWR. You won't know if your ship (or each stage) can lift its own weight until you test it.

I'd argue the case for this needing to be in now we have budget to worry about, was OK before when it didn't matter

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Spookydonut posted:

When in doubt, add more boosters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AceClown posted:

I'd argue the case for this needing to be in now we have budget to worry about, was OK before when it didn't matter

Yeah, there used to be absolutely no downside to overbuilding but now it's something that avoiding really does make you better off.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

oxbrain posted:

When in doubt, add more boosters.

As was posted above, not so true now that you have budgets to worry about.

You're forced to go through trial and error, just like in MCE where you'd have to do two launches to test and then do it for real. It's boring and frustrating for the player.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I just use Mechjeb and its dV stats. Is there an advantage to Kerb Engineer? Does it have like dV charts for other planets?

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
The most efficient use of fuel is to change your orbit at apoapsis right?

I'm playing the science sandbox where money doesn't matter, but you're limited in spaceship parts until you earn them. I just tried my first Mun orbit with a pretty barebones ship. Jebediah got there, orbited, did some goo experiments (what else are you gonna do flying through space alone?), but as I got close to home, I kept waiting for periapsis to shrink my orbit. Right about the time I ran out of fuel at a circularized orbit of 90k meters, I thought maybe orbit changes made at the slowest point of my orbit would be cheapest.

So...Jeb is floating in perpetual orbit right now, and I don't have access to a capsule that can hold more than one Kerbonaut at a time. So I figure I have two options:

1. Build a rescue craft that has two command capsules. One manned (Kerbed?), and one unmanned. Fly up, match orbit, have Jeb jetpack over to the empty capsule, and climb in. Somehow bring both capsules home. Even assuming I can get that much weight up and back with the limited list of parts I have, is it possible to launch an empty capsule along with a crewed capsule, or will that confuse the game?

2. Build a craft with a scoop on the nose, built out of those rectangular strut assembly thingies. Fly up, match orbit, gently cradle Jeb's capsule in the basket, and fire retrograde until Jeb's on a course home.

Any advice? What's the best way to plan your launch to rendezvous with an orbiting craft? Will Jeb run out of food or oxygen while I plan this daring rescue?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Iceshade posted:

I just use Mechjeb and its dV stats. Is there an advantage to Kerb Engineer? Does it have like dV charts for other planets?

dv is the same everywhere, but Engineer will give you your TWR on other planets which you'll need to build a lander that can get back into space.

Watommi posted:

I'm playing the science sandbox where money doesn't matter, but you're limited in spaceship parts until you earn them. I just tried my first Mun orbit with a pretty barebones ship. Jebediah got there, orbited, did some goo experiments (what else are you gonna do flying through space alone?), but as I got close to home, I kept waiting for periapsis to shrink my orbit. Right about the time I ran out of fuel at a circularized orbit of 90k meters, I thought maybe orbit changes made at the slowest point of my orbit would be cheapest.

Your orbit won't change unless the periapsis is inside an atmosphere; in Kerbin's case that's less than 70 kilometers.

quote:

1. Build a rescue craft that has two command capsules. One manned (Kerbed?), and one unmanned. Fly up, match orbit, have Jeb jetpack over to the empty capsule, and climb in. Somehow bring both capsules home. Even assuming I can get that much weight up and back with the limited list of parts I have, is it possible to launch an empty capsule along with a crewed capsule, or will that confuse the game?

Yes, you can launch with an empty capsule with the crew tab in the VAB or with the craft selector when clicking the launch pad. If you're in the VAB make sure to double-check before launching as kerbals like to sneak back inside the ship after you've removed them for some reason.

Bringing both capsules home is just a matter of designing the ship right and including enough parachutes for the extra weight.

quote:

2. Build a craft with a scoop on the nose, built out of those rectangular strut assembly thingies. Fly up, match orbit, gently cradle Jeb's capsule in the basket, and fire retrograde until Jeb's on a course home.

This is also doable, but much harder and you will not be able to use time acceleration after you catch him.

quote:

Will Jeb run out of food or oxygen while I plan this daring rescue?

Nope, he'll happily float in space for years if necessary.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 29, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Iceshade posted:

Yeah, it lets you click any body in the system and it shows the TWR for each stage on that body.

The interface is kind of butt though, way too much clicking around and it eats up a lot of the screen. The game would be vastly improved if I could just mouse over a stage and a hovebox would reveal that shows the vital stats of the rocket at that stage.. weight, twr, d/v, and probably some others I'm forgetting but those are the big three.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spookydonut posted:

As was posted above, not so true now that you have budgets to worry about.

You're forced to go through trial and error, just like in MCE where you'd have to do two launches to test and then do it for real. It's boring and frustrating for the player.

Actually since the budget update I've found the best method of success to be 'when in doubt, replace things with boosters'

I generally try to avoid using actual engines for anything other than orbital maneuvers, as for the price of a fuel tank and engine, I can add several boosters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spookydonut posted:

Well, you can do the arithmetic on it, but you have to at least wheel the ship out to the pad unless you want to sum all the parts’ mass by hand.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Watommi posted:

blah blah stuck in a 90km circular orbit

Get jeb out of the capsule, and push it so the periapsis drops below 60-70km, and then get back inside and wait it out.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

haveblue posted:

dv is the same everywhere, but Engineer will give you your TWR on other planets which you'll need to build a lander that can get back into space.

Oh, I see. I guess that will be pretty useful when I eventually come around to Eve and Tylo.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

haveblue posted:

MechJeb can do that too now, and has been able to do that for a couple months. So there really isn't any actual reason to use Engineer that I can think of.

forfeit
Oct 5, 2008

xzzy posted:

Yeah, it lets you click any body in the system and it shows the TWR for each stage on that body.

If you click the little arrows near the top of the Vehicle Info window in the VAB you can see your TWR on other planets with MechJeb, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Well, you can do the arithmetic on it, but you have to at least wheel the ship out to the pad unless you want to sum all the parts’ mass by hand.

I might even be fine pounding numbers into a calculator if getting the data didn't require this.

KSP just makes it a colossal chore to actually design a rocket to the point I won't even bother without a mod doing it for me. It's fun to just bolt on more fuel and engines for a while but KSP is kind of selling itself short by stubbornly clinging to that mindset.

• Locked thread