Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Yeah, Arthas's transition from `great noble' to `evil leader' really shows the depth of the story. It shows how great of writers Blizzard has.

My most favorite moment is Arthas when he's going to get Frostmourne. He's just so hellbent on getting this item which will save his people and help him fight the scourge, but he doesn't realize he is the scourge yet.

And don't even get me started on Rexxar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

here's a video explaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ__nRnO2mE

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gas

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

"Somebody gets corrupted and is evil now until you hit them enough times" is the only plot element a true masterpiece requires.

That and Chris Metzen's voice.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like the part where you race with the undead guy to see who can kill the most peasants the fastest

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
so which dude is gonna get corrupted in this expansion pack?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I kind of have a soft spot for it, OP, but there's probably better lore.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

never let lead devs write videogame stories cause they always screw up and everybody is too afraid to tell him his story is absolute dogshit

even the best writers have editors for a reason

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ekster posted:

never let lead devs write videogame stories cause they always screw up and everybody is too afraid to tell him his story is absolute dogshit

Yeah that's what I'm wondering: why don't any video game companies have editors? I have never seen a guy credited as an editor on the writing team ever.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Ekster posted:

next your gonna tell me that George Lucas needs an editor.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

so which dude is gonna get corrupted in this expansion pack?

after putting the player and their npc allies in an unwinnable fight with garrosh, thrall swoops in and saves the day by instantly killing him

that's kind of like corruption because it's corrupting anythiing resembling competent storytelling

that actually happens btw

oh and the dragon who set the whole expansion up just kind of dies offscreen so far with no explanation besides "you find his corpse while doing something else"

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 29, 2014

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
: "Yeah we'd, we'd gone a long time without seeing Thrall, now going by Go'el, but now he's back in action. He's got Doomhammer's plate-his plate armor back and he's even more just, imposing, and visually epic, and savage, which is central to Warlords of Draenor, the just savagery of the entire continent of Draenor. Players encounting Go'el should be ready for a truly epic and savage experience in their questing."

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

sword_man.gif posted:

: "Yeah we'd, we'd gone a long time without seeing Thrall, now going by Go'el,

:dawkins101:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

welp looks like jim raynor is his self-insert

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

sword_man.gif posted:

after putting the player and their npc allies in an unwinnable fight with garrosh, thrall swoops in and saves the day by instantly killing him

that's kind of like corruption because it's corrupting anythiing resembling competent storytelling

that actually happens btw

oh and the dragon who set the whole expansion up just kind of dies offscreen so far with no explanation besides "you find his corpse while doing something else"

god loving damnit I expect nothing and I still am disappointed every time.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

god loving damnit I expect nothing and I still am disappointed every time.

they're so proud of it that you can right click gorehowl and view the loving cutscene again, because drat if thrall isn't loving epic and savage and poo poo

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

warlords of draenor: every single quest is rousing lazy peons

Dec 26, 2012

Ekster posted:

welp looks like jim raynor is his self-insert

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think he's also Anduin Wrynn.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah that's what I'm wondering: why don't any video game companies have editors? I have never seen a guy credited as an editor on the writing team ever.
all the video game writers who really care about story are also the ones stuck up their own rear end

see: david cage, the bioshock dude

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Endorph posted:

all the video game writers who really care about story are also the ones stuck up their own rear end

see: david cage, the bioshock dude

from what i've been told there are very few game designers left who are interested in game design its just a means to an end to tell a story (lol)

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

bhlaab posted:

from what i've been told there are very few game designers left who are interested in game design its just a means to an end to tell a story (lol)

platinum turned down hideo kojima as a writer for MGR 2 iirc

platinum games are the best for plot, it's just more cool poo poo

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bhlaab posted:

It's kind of hard to say that when there's a shitload of games that come out each month that are worthwhile. AAA games maybe because they're like hundreds of millions of dollars, but there's loads of games that don't put the story above gameplay.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Hog Butcher posted:

platinum turned down hideo kojima as a writer for MGR 2 iirc

platinum games are the best for plot, it's just more cool poo poo

that sounds like a not-good decision altho the 2nd sentence is also true

Dec 26, 2012

bhlaab posted:

its more that the ones who are interested in game design arent usually the giant egoists who make a point of making sure they are personally known

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

koolkal posted:

that sounds like a not-good decision altho the 2nd sentence is also true

the blade wolf cutscene at the beginning is the perfect example of platinum v. kojima on writing

"why are you here?" "to kill you"

vs

"why are you here?" *john galt speech but with robot dog*

kojima is not a good writer and i don't get why people think he is, the only thing he owns at is coming up with characters and i don't know if he's even the one who does that

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
but his company is the one that did the writing

even tho it wasnt himself that personally wrote it, he still had a ton of input and it would probably not have been nearly as insane without him

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

kojima has a great sense of humor and his games generally have great gameplay so it's still fun despite the awful story, also he's not above making fun of his own dumb poo poo so it's at least tolerable

there's some wiki page about the story of Path of Exile, which is told vaguely and piecemeal a la Dark Souls so 99% of players don't know what is going on and, get this, it's actually good as far as videogaming writing goes. an indie F2P ARPG has a better storyline than the vast majority of AAA games, which is absolutely hilarious to me, you can read it here

tl;dr the more devs force their stories in your face the more it will invariably suck

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Morrowind was cool because of all the books. gently caress, I think I got an hours worth of time spent in Morrowind just reading all the poo poo I looted and bought.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Morrowind was cool because of all the books. gently caress, I think I got an hours worth of time spent in Morrowind just reading all the poo poo I looted and bought.

just an hour? Man when I found out about the hidden library under Vivec I spent almost an entire week trying to find stupid and obscure books explaining the dissident priests

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Good thing you can walk around the library at a snails pace and stop every few inches to catch your breath, and to really appreciate all the Lore they put into it.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

kojima writing is terrible but its the best kind of terrible

it's just sappy, cheesy, movie stuff. it owns. unless youre one of those people who takes The MGS Canon extremely seriously in which case i'm sorry

americong
May 29, 2013

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

lol if you care about warcraft "lore"

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

uther comes back but now he is a demon and also a bad guy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ekster posted:

kojima has a great sense of humor and his games generally have great gameplay so it's still fun despite the awful story, also he's not above making fun of his own dumb poo poo so it's at least tolerable

there's some wiki page about the story of Path of Exile, which is told vaguely and piecemeal a la Dark Souls so 99% of players don't know what is going on and, get this, it's actually good as far as videogaming writing goes. an indie F2P ARPG has a better storyline than the vast majority of AAA games, which is absolutely hilarious to me, you can read it here

that all reads like generic fantasy hubba-hubba-dubba to me

like warcraft

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LaTex Fetish posted:

My most favorite moment is Arthas when he's going to get Frostmourne. He's just so hellbent on getting this item which will save his people and help him fight the scourge, but he doesn't realize he is the scourge yet.

No Arthas, you are the scourge.

And then Arthas was the scourge.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

No Arthas, you are the scourge.

And then Arthas was the scourge.

Your custom title is win as hell.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Ekster posted:

tl;dr the more devs force their stories in your face the more it will invariably suck

lmao i have literally never met anyone extolling the virtues of the lovely ultra grimdark story of Path of Exile until now, thanks

I will say that they definitely took the correct route for storytelling in an ARPG in that you don't have to pay attention to any of it, but complexity/"REAL HISTORY with LOTS OF DATES" doesn't really make it at all worthwhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wormskull posted:

Your custom title is win as hell.

Thank you. It takes a special kind of idiot to be so enraged over rick rolling that he rages purchases a title for someone.

• Locked thread