Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

woozle wuzzle posted:

I dunno, I bet judges enjoy the fresh new face every year. Clerks are typically unspoiled by the vagaries of real life. Like a witch that must sacrifice virgins to stay young, the judge requires a naive 20-something that they can impress.

If it became a career, then the job doesn't exist anymore. The judge doesn't need a clerk, they need a captive audience to realize how smart they are. [It's still a sweet as hell job, but the judge doesn't want sloppy seconds]

I guess that's true in some cases. My judge has explicitly asked me to stay beyond my commitment/do it as a career if I'm interested, but I think we also have an unusually good working relationship and I don't know whether many judges are as receptive to listening to their clerk's opinions and thoughts on things as she is with me. (Maybe this is also naive? I don't know.)

And in my situation it's not even the salary alone that's the problem, it's that when I inevitably have kids, the school district is THAT bad and private school is astronomically expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I swear to god if the USPTO doesn't come up with some 101 regulations that are possible to follow...

Them: "Abstract ideas aren't patentable unless they satisfy the following conditions"
Me: "Hey, that's great, but how do I know what an abstract idea is?"
Them: "Does it look like a financial business method like in Alice?"
Me: "So, we're basically just ignoring 101, then?"
Them: :argh:
Me: :argh:
On the other end, we've been running into examiners who are abstracting from concrete claim language in order to assert that claims cover abstract ideas. As in, "so I know you claimed x, which is a process with a concrete result, but really x is just an application of y, and y is abstract; therefore x is abstract." Truly frustrating.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 28, 2014

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
My judge isn't running for another term (he could run once more before being age-limited). So I have no clue what next year holds for me. First time his seat has been up for grabs since Reagan.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm getting to mess with bankruptcy for the first time in years this week. I forgot how loving particular the rules are for everything. Also, the debtor is screwing over my client so that's fun to explain: "well, yeah, he owes you money, lots of it. But uhh, he yelled bankruptcy and now you're going to get a nickel a year for a few years. Well, good luck!"

Actual practice note that you may well already know but just in case: brace them to get hosed by the nickel payments. Trustees don't pay out evenly, each one does their own thing. So rather than getting 60 checks for a nickel, in year 4 your client will get a check for $3 mailed to the wrong address.

It's just an inevitable call after you've braced them to get the lovely payments, and then they don't even get those, they go berserk.

[And this is assuming the case survives until their payment is made, which is often unlikely.]

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 28, 2014

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

woozle wuzzle posted:

Actual practice note that you may well already know but just in case: brace them to get hosed by the nickel payments. Trustees don't pay out evenly, each one does their own thing. So rather than getting 60 checks for a nickel, in year 4 your client will get a check for $3 mailed to the wrong address.

It's just an inevitable call after you've braced them to get the lovely payments, and then they don't even get those, they go berserk.

[And this is assuming the case survives until their payment is made, which is often unlikely.]

There is always the claims trading market, of course.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I met an honest to God sovereign citizen today. Things I learned, from a serious as a heart attack client:

You used to get a "registry of birth" at birth, but after the federal reserve was created they changed it to a birth CERTIFICATE! Look up certificate in Black's law dictionary, and it says certificates denote ownership. QED They literally own you.

The federal reserve created social security, specifically, to hide the truth of our true creditors. <ominous pause>

On every birth certificate there is a hidden bank name, sometimes scratched out, sometimes by anagram, that denotes which bank purchased you.

The entire taxation system is illegal because there is no law or constitutional right to tax labor. Income is defined as profits from business, but profits from labor are exempt from all collections. The Supreme Court has denied cert on every attempt since the federal reserve was created to cover up the truth.

I did not bring up my lack of experience with admiralty maritime law.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Personally I'm glad a bank purchased me, it makes me feel wanted and loved. Better than being depressed and alone in my office sending a partner the same case for the fifth time because he can't be bothered to read my first four e-mails.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Pretty sure we're all owned by the U.S. Department of Education (and/or Sallie Mae).

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

mikeraskol posted:

Personally I'm glad a bank purchased me, it makes me feel wanted and loved. Better than being depressed and alone in my office sending a partner the same case for the fifth time because he can't be bothered to read my first four e-mails.

I was purchased by Wells Fargo, but then was given away to a nice couple in Nebraska because they opened a Wells Fargo Checking Package with a qualifying direct deposit :(

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

woozle wuzzle posted:

I met an honest to God sovereign citizen today. Things I learned, from a serious as a heart attack client:

You used to get a "registry of birth" at birth, but after the federal reserve was created they changed it to a birth CERTIFICATE! Look up certificate in Black's law dictionary, and it says certificates denote ownership. QED They literally own you.

The federal reserve created social security, specifically, to hide the truth of our true creditors. <ominous pause>

On every birth certificate there is a hidden bank name, sometimes scratched out, sometimes by anagram, that denotes which bank purchased you.

The entire taxation system is illegal because there is no law or constitutional right to tax labor. Income is defined as profits from business, but profits from labor are exempt from all collections. The Supreme Court has denied cert on every attempt since the federal reserve was created to cover up the truth.

I did not bring up my lack of experience with admiralty maritime law.

Every time I talk to one of these nuts I have the urge to fan the flames and tell them about secret un-depublished acts of congress or some poo poo, just keep making stuff up and see if they ever realize I'm bullshitting them. Since apparently they never realized whoever told them all of that other nonsense was bullshitting them.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Tell them as an attorney you require them to sign a deed of attornment before you can "represent" them as a bona fide member of the British Accredited Registry, a/k/a "the BAR"

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
What about the secret tunnel system under the United States that Elon Musk is trying to co-opt that was accidentally revealed by Sen Ted Stevens? The Internet as we know it was a well designed smoke screen to hide the truth. It's actually a series of tubes!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This country is going down the tubes

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Not bullshitting for effect: I shifted the sales pitch legal advice from my standard credit talk to English common law and the abolition of debtor's prison, moving to the original text of the Constitution giving Congress power to create bankruptcy law. He paid in full immediately. A couple years ago I would have lost him for sure.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm actually surprised he paid you in actual legal tender

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
Does anybody ITT have experience working at a mental hygiene court or with a mental hygiene legal service? It always seemed like a pretty unique form of law to me, I'm curious to hear what it's like.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Day 1 of the Texas bar exam today, wish me luck so that I can be miserable with the rest of you.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

beefart posted:

Day 1 of the Texas bar exam today, wish me luck so that I can be miserable with the rest of you.

God speed!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

beefart posted:

Don't do it. My morning commute plus lovely judges mean there are days I would welcome death.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Don't do it. My morning commute plus lovely judges mean there are days I would welcome death.

lovely Judges? In my courtroom?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Good luck, beefart and all other bar goons. I am sorry that your bad choices have led you here, but now that you are here I wish you nothing but success.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Also, is it beef art or bee fart? This is going to haunt me for the rest of the day.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
That reminded me of Pet Smart or Pets Mart ? and I now wish there was a national retail chain that sold both Bee Fart and Beef Art.

Because America.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

lovely Judges? In my courtroom?

Collin County, bro.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Oyak posted:

Does anybody ITT have experience working at a mental hygiene court or with a mental hygiene legal service? It always seemed like a pretty unique form of law to me, I'm curious to hear what it's like.

Is this different than involuntary mental health commitments?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Day 1 of New York down. :thumbsup:

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Congrats on making it through the first day - the second won't be as crazy/stressful.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ersatz posted:

Congrats on making it through the first day - the second won't be as crazy/stressful.

Some chick passed out at one point and had to get carried out.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Bold Robot posted:

Javitz? That place loving sucked.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Bold Robot posted:

Dat Partnership Question Tho

Seriously, who the gently caress studied for LLC rather than LLP or corporations?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

von Metternich posted:

Dat Partnership Question Tho

Seriously, who the gently caress studied for LLC rather than LLP or corporations?

I just said it works like a corporation does. Members are shareholders. :shrug:

The multiple choice was hilarious. Why do they even bother if they're going to throw that sort of poo poo at us?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Bold Robot posted:

Did you scream about how her collapse distracted you and affected your ability to take the test in the proper environment, and then demand appropriate additional time and other concessions because of it?

If you didn't, congratulations, you just failed the real bar exam.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Day 1 was fairly easy, MPT and Texas Procedure/Evidence exam, which account for 20% all told. Nobody had a breakdown or anything and it went off without a hitch. Except for the fact that I finished the TPE literally 10 seconds after the 15 minutes remaining mark so I got to sit there for another half hour having to piss like Seabiscuit while the administrators checked to make sure everyone turned in their booklets.

Good luck to you Bold Robot and von Metternich on New York and to any other bargoons out there.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Also, is it beef art or bee fart? This is going to haunt me for the rest of the day.

Bee-fart

CaptainScraps posted:

Thankfully I've incurred an additional 50k of debt to flee to DC and get me some of that sweet, sweet tax law learning, so none of that till next May hopefully!

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Oyak posted:

Is this the same thing as mental health court/law? I deal with it just about every day since we have a lot of mentally ill clients. I have literally no idea what it's like in the States, but generally it involves a lot of handholding, informal resolutions, discussions with doctors/health officials, and dealing with family. Pretty similar to low-tier criminal law generally, but a bit more involved and closer to being a social worker and less of a lawyer.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
all my friends taking the bar today tell me that Examsoft's servers have totally crashed-none of the exam files will upload, can't even get a call through to their help center. What the gently caress does that company do with it's obscene laptop user fees

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

beefart posted:

Thankfully I've incurred an additional 50k of debt to flee to DC and get me some of that sweet, sweet tax law learning, so none of that till next May hopefully!
Having been out of law school several years now, the expense of it has become truly mindbending. As a student 50k for a semester or two seems like it's just a number. When you're paying it back it's an incredible amount of money, even if you are in biglaw.

errad
May 31, 2013

Emanuel Collective posted:

all my friends taking the bar today tell me that Examsoft's servers have totally crashed-none of the exam files will upload, can't even get a call through to their help center. What the gently caress does that company do with it's obscene laptop user fees

My wife is in the same boat. It's pretty loving ridiculous. Exam takers are stressed enough as it is.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

When I was taking CA earlier this year, we had a person bolt for the door and pass out on the threshold, and--same session--another person started screaming in his seat and had to be dragged out by security.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bro Enlai posted:

When I was taking CA earlier this year, we had a person bolt for the door and pass out on the threshold, and--same session--another person started screaming in his seat and had to be dragged out by security.

CA is actually hard though, right? So it's at least halfway understandable. The general consensus among everyone I talked to about NY seemed to be that it was pretty easy so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

beefart posted:

Day 1 was fairly easy, MPT and Texas Procedure/Evidence exam, which account for 20% all told. Nobody had a breakdown or anything and it went off without a hitch. Except for the fact that I finished the TPE literally 10 seconds after the 15 minutes remaining mark so I got to sit there for another half hour having to piss like Seabiscuit while the administrators checked to make sure everyone turned in their booklets.

Back in my day we could bounce when we were done. They made you just sit there?