Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

also the last time the UN attempted prosecute war crimes, they ended up sending peace keeping forces to protect the genocidaires from the people they tried to wipe out

there are lots of layers of meaning about the naure of international politics and the general state of the world in this anecdote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

israelis are by far the biggest group of pussies on planet earth lmao

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so is feeling feels about the death of dozens of literal children the same thing in Israel as getting up on a stage and calling gays fudgepackers in the US in that it'll get you fired and harrangued on tweeter

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

:laffo:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Fandyien posted:

so is feeling feels about the death of dozens of literal children the same thing in Israel as getting up on a stage and calling gays fudgepackers in the US in that it'll get you fired and harrangued on tweeter

only if the children are brown

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

isn't that a good thing, when someone is on trial for murder the cops don't just let the victim's family stroll into the defendant's cell

its not a good thing when the peacekeepers are protecting hutu killers hiding out in the congo from the people trying to haul them back to rwanda to face trial in front of hte UN-approved grassroots courts

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Exciting new research from Israel, home of the free - Scientists have succeeded in isolating and destroying the part of the brain that produces feelings of empathy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i mean yeah i guess there were also tutsi militias that were looking to straight up kill them, too. but uhh yeah worlds smallest violin for the guys who organized the panga-chopping of a couple hundred thousand people.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Please blow a massive hot load in side my terror tunnel

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

reminder that america was founded by terrorists

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Expose my shafts

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

i mean yeah i guess there were also tutsi militias that were looking to straight up kill them, too. but uhh yeah worlds smallest violin for the guys who organized the panga-chopping of a couple hundred thousand people.

that's not the point, the point is you can't have death squads roaming the countrside looking to extrajudicially execute people because that lacks due process and oversight which is the purpose of a trial

I mean look at these retards attacking doctors in Liberia/Sierra Leone, do you want these people organising genocider-killing militias?

reminder that the people in Liberia and Sierra Leone are so loving stupid that when the government declared war on the bands of marauding anal rapists that plagued both countries in the 90's/early 2000's the soldiers decided they liked the way those guys thought and just joined the gently caress in

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
well the UN also completely hosed the pooch with intervention during the actual rwandan genocide so its kinda screwed up that they can suddenly spare the resources to protect people when its the hutus

like the belgians of all people were sending requests to please please please for chrissake let us actually do something

ANYWAY THE POINT IS that the UN is not very good at what it purports to do

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

Bar Ilan University students, faculty and administrators are up in arms over a law professor’s email to his students that opened with an expression of sympathy for all victims of the Israel-Gaza war, implicitly reminding them that the overwhelming majority of those victims are Gazans.

Prof. Hanoch Sheinman’s email was sent to reassure his second-year law students that because the security situation had disrupted many students’ routines, there would be an additional date scheduled for his course’s final exam. Sheinman opened the email, however, by saying that he hoped the message “finds you in a safe place, and that you, your families and those dear to you are not among the hundreds of people that were killed, the thousands wounded, or the tens of thousands whose homes were destroyed or were forced to leave their homes during, or as a direct result of, the violent confrontation in the Gaza Strip and its environs.”

Sheinman then proceeded to inform the students of the additional testing date.

Sheinman’s reference to the victims of the fighting with no reference to their national affiliation led many students to complain to the dean of the law faculty, Prof. Shahar Lifshitz, who issued an urgent message to the students yesterday. “I was shocked to learn of the email sent to you by Professor Sheinman,” Lifshitz wrote. “It was a hurtful letter, and since this morning we have been justifiably flooded with messages from students and family members, many of whom are involved during these very days in the battles in the south.”

quote:

justifiably

gently caress yeah.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the UN is the most flaccid organization ever cobbled together. what we need is a tripartite power structure so two can always beat one.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

well the UN also completely hosed the pooch with intervention during the actual rwandan genocide so its kinda screwed up that they can suddenly spare the resources to protect people when its the hutus

like the belgians of all people were sending requests to please please please for chrissake let us actually do something

ANYWAY THE POINT IS that the UN is not very good at what it purports to do

Post that uninvolved in Africa pic

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Ethnic cleansing is weird.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

quote:

The survey also revealed that 85% of respondents would only support a cease-fire agreement if Israel eliminated every Hamas rocket and destroyed the full network of terror tunnels before agreeing to do so.

Seventy-seven percent (77%) of Israeli Jews polled "very strongly support" Operation Protective Edge's airstrikes on Gaza; 17% "support" the airstrikes; and 4.5% had "weak support" for the airstrikes. Just 1.5% of respondents opposed the airstrikes on Gaza.

Similarly, 50% "strongly support" the IDF's ground offensive in Gaza; 28% "support" the ground campaign and 14% have "weak support" for the campaign. By contrast, only 9% of respondents oppose sending ground troops into Gaza.

Eighty-two percent (82%) of respondents "strongly disagree" with the statement "Israel launching Operation Protective Edge was a mistake"; 11% only "slightly disagree." Just 7% of respondents "agree" or "strongly agree" with that statement.

As to the operation's success, 74% of respondents overall believe the IDF is "achieving its goals" in Gaza; of those, 23% "very strongly agree" and 51% "strongly agree." Just 22.5% of respondents were neutral on the issue and only 3% believe the operation is failing.

Ninety-five percent (95%) of respondents said the operation has "made them proud of the IDF, the State of Israel, and the Jewish people," and only 2% disagreed with that statement.

Respondents were also questioned on events surrounding the many protests for and against the operation over the past several weeks, which have seen protestors arrested in Tel Aviv and Haifa.

Fifty-seven percent (57%) of respondents "strongly agree" to the suggestion that protests against the IDF should be outlawed; 17% agreed. In addition, nearly half - 49% - of respondents believed that anti-IDF protestors should be tried for treason against the State.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has a very high approval rating, according to the survey: 65% are "very satisfied" with Netanyahu's handling of the operation, 20% are "satisfied" with his leadership and only 10% are "not satisfied" with the Prime Minister.

A surprising third (34%) of respondents also said that Israeli Arabs "cannot be trusted" and are "a security risk," vs. just 12% who insist that they "can be trusted" and 15% who believe they "are not a security risk."

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 30, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i am in favor of not killing people but when youre the literal Interahamwe im not really losing a lot of sleep over you tbh

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

i am in favor of not killing people but when youre the literal Interahamwe im not really losing a lot of sleep over you tbh

I am in favour of killing people who deserve it I just don't want that task left to a bunch of retards who will probably just kill more or less indiscriminately

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
incidentally it looks like the UN is now fighting the hutus in the congo. so that is a change from how things were last time i looked.

rwanda actually has its poo poo together pretty well for a country that just had a brutal sectarian purge. the grassroots courts plowed thru like 2 million cases in about eight years and actually managed reconciliation instead of revenge. good for them, and here;s hoping they manage to undo all the damage the germans and belgians did.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 30, 2014

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Israel sounds like a terrible country

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Have some actual humor, thrtead

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

look at these radical islamists who want to see israel razed to the ground

meanwhile, the good guys are

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Haha

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

guess you never seen gentrification up close?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They were hiding weapons there, in that entire square mile.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Makin room for a Whole Foods and upscale Condos.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

abu goatee

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lmao

it'd be cool to have a unified non-apartheid state so we could get more legit satire from arabic speakers

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

oh, and also, the crime of treason carries the death penalty in israel. 49% of israelis think that peace protesters should be put to death.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

treason carries the death penalty in a lot of places, to be fair. heck norway reinstated it just for one guy, then got rid of it again. treason is serious business. and besides, shouldn't people who oppose securing the safety of their national, religious, and cultural brothers be regarded as traitors engaged in treasonous acts? if you betray your social group are oyu not a traitor?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for lighter-shaded Jewish Israeli children.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

lol

do these guys have any skits about america

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

SplitSoul posted:

oh, and also, the crime of treason carries the death penalty in israel. 49% of israelis think that peace protesters should be put to death.

I agree with them insofar as I think all israelis should be put to death

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

nazi comparisons are totally unjustified lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7qFACSfd_k

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I am Toni Lippi posted:

Ethnic cleansing is weird.

ethnic cleansing is normal and natural which is why people kind of suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Rockets = settlements. Settlements = rockets.

• Locked thread