Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

True ending to Evangelion manga leaked :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Pen Pen is sacred, and I am irrationally mad about anime now.:ssj:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well now I just want to read the manga more.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
If we are going to go on that track, I want to contribute too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQvPFNjxxU0

duvel
Dec 13, 2008
If I wanted to read the manga, is the official translation any good? I've watched the series, End of Evangelion, and the rebuild movies, and I kinda want to check out the manga for more details.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

duvel posted:

If I wanted to read the manga, is the official translation any good? I've watched the series, End of Evangelion, and the rebuild movies, and I kinda want to check out the manga for more details.

I seem to recall it being mostly fine.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've never heard a bad thing about Viz's translation except from their older stuff from like the 90s. And the people complaining were those super-crazy Dragonball fans so even then I'm not sure how much truth it is to their complaints. I'd certainly trust them over scanlations which I honestly avoid like the plague even if it means I'm way behind everyone else following the same series I like.

Something to keep in mind though is that the Eva manga isn't finished here yet. Viz has only published up to Volume 13. Volume 14 comes out in Japan in November so who knows when we'll get it. I just hope Volume 13 doesn't end on some awful cliffhanger that I'll be dying to learn more about for months and months.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 29, 2014

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

NikkolasKing posted:

Something to keep in mind though is that the Eva manga isn't finished here yet. Viz has only published up to Volume 13. Volume 14 comes out in Japan in November so who knows when we'll get it. I just hope Volume 13 doesn't end on some awful cliffhanger that I'll be dying to learn more about for months and months.

Volume 14 has a same-day release in English as it does in Japanese. The publisher, Kadokawa, loves to beat piracy and release their volumes of licensed "big" titles in multiple markets if licensors are caught up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well that is some awesome news. Thanks.

I gotta remember to have a few bucks saved up for...November 20th I think it was. That's not too far away since I plan to spread out my reading of the manga for a couple months anyway.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I will be disappointed if Rebuild 4 doesn't consist entirely a live action Anno walking onto the set, flipping the bird to the audience, and walking off again.

The credits will be every single death and suffering scene played in slow motion while 'We Are the Champions' plays in the background.

It's actually going to be saccharine sweet and everyone lives and is happy, to really gently caress with the audience

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I vote for a dumb EoE-connecting ending. Like "this world too is a possibility of instrumentality, shinji-san :mrapig: "
basically for all those theories people had about it being more continuation than remake.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I've watched this show twice. I hate this loving show but it fascinates me nonetheless. Why do I want to watch it a third time in some vain hope I might ~get it~?

Edit: Okay, I admit I didn't read through this entire thread but can you explain who was actually fighting for and against Third Impact? In EoE I felt like NERV and Seele were equally fighting for and against it and hnggghghhhhh :suicide: Please actually explain this to me.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 30, 2014

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Tracula posted:

I've watched this show twice. I hate this loving show but it fascinates me nonetheless. Why do I want to watch it a third time in some vain hope I might ~get it~?

Edit: Okay, I admit I didn't read through this entire thread but can you explain who was actually fighting for and against Third Impact? In EoE I felt like NERV and Seele were equally fighting for and against it and hnggghghhhhh :suicide: Please actually explain this to me.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Saw this in the PYF GIF thread and lost it laughing.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I don't even know what to put here.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just make sure you focus on all the religious symbolism and technobabble, that's the key to understanding evangelion.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Tracula posted:

I don't even know what to put here.

Welp, it's pretty much correct. Thinking about EoE/NGE in terms of "who was for/against Third Impact" isn't really the right direction to steer your thoughts. Basically, both SEELE and Gendo (whose aims were put into motion through NERV, though officially NERV was ostensibly made to act out SEELE's will) want to initiate Third Impact. However, SEELE wants to be in control of the process. Gendo also wants to be in control of the process. They both get hardfucked when a hyperdepressed 14-year-old is instead given the Tang Overseer role, due to Rei III telling Gendo to gently caress off and subsequently merging with Lilith.

The whole notion/idea of fighting against Third Impact isn't really even touched upon in the series--no one realized what NERV and SEELE were actually doing. While it seems that the in-world perception of NERV from the general populace/most of the people who work at NERV is that it's working to prevent another apocalypse, it's really just originally set up to achieve SEELE's ends. That goes off the rails when Gendo goes Gendo and tries to take control of everything himself.

Had Misato/Kaji had more time, it's likely that some kind of anti-Impact organization would have coalesced around them. That's what appears to be the case with WILLE in the Rebuilds.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

No joke that's actually really loving succinct and a good image.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Okay. I admit I might be wrong here but why is is Seele having Nerv stopping third impact at all if it's what they want to happen? I seriously need to watch this poo poo a third time to actually get it.

I think the point I gave up on NGE was in episode 21 when this image popped up:

The Holy Mountain is one of my favorite movies and that is literally "Christian Symbolism: The Movie" and that loving scene still pissed me off.

I thought the ends of episodes 19 and 20 were so amazingly loving good that I was intriuged to see where the series would go and then I don't even know what the gently caress. Are the last six episodes the creators descent into depression?

I know I'm rambling and bitching hard but I haven't had any proper channel to vent this in and I've been bothered by this loving series for months now.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

SEELE isn't "having NERV stopping third impact at all." They intended to use NERV as a means to achieve their ends, specifically Third Impact under their control and the production of the Evangelions and such. But Gendo tried to gently caress them over by initiating Third Impact on his own terms, but got Lilith-blocked by Rei III. Rei III then initiated Third Impact and handed over the control panel to Shinji, probably under influence from Yui-in-Eva-01.

Does that make sense?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If the angels initiate the Third Impact themselves humanity just sort of dies off or something instead of getting tanged.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Thank you. That makes more sense than the series or the wikis.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

If the angels initiate the Third Impact themselves humanity just sort of dies off or something instead of getting tanged.

Yes, that too. So SEELE setup NERV to make the Evas, fight off the Angels (whose "attacks" were prophesied/described in the Dead Sea Scrolls), and then allow SEELE to implement TI on their terms.

Apparently the Dead Sea Scrolls said that the Angels had to be defeated before human(Lilin)-initiated Third Impact could occur. Or something. Maybe.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DrPop posted:

Yes, that too. So SEELE setup NERV to make the Evas, fight off the Angels (whose "attacks" were prophesied/described in the Dead Sea Scrolls), and then allow SEELE to implement TI on their terms.

Apparently the Dead Sea Scrolls said that the Angels had to be defeated before human(Lilin)-initiated Third Impact could occur. Or something. Maybe.

Evangelion: Or something. Maybe.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Szmitten posted:

No joke that's actually really loving succinct and a good image.

Not really. Everyone doesn't get their own matrix like fantasy world if they accept instrumentality, you just cease to exist as an individual, it's no different than death. Thats why Shinji's choice is significant, he chooses to exist because you can always improve your circumstances if you exist, choosing nonexistence is a dead end ("Death creates nothing"). I think the creator misunderstood the fantasy world shown in the last episode, that wasn't an example of what it was like goopified, it was showing what could be possible if he lived his life a little differently.

quote:

Shinji: I've got it. This is also a world. The possiblity within me. The me at the moment is not always the me as I am. There are many myselves. Yes. There must be the me who is not the Eva pilot.
Misato: Thinking so, the real world itself is not always bad.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Zahki posted:

Not really. Everyone doesn't get their own matrix like fantasy world if they accept instrumentality, you just cease to exist as an individual, it's no different than death. Thats why Shinji's choice is significant, he chooses to exist because you can always improve your circumstances if you exist, choosing nonexistence is a dead end ("Death creates nothing"). I think the creator misunderstood the fantasy world shown in the last episode, that wasn't an example of what it was like goopified, it was showing what could be possible if he lived his life a little differently.

I know, the Matrix implication is misleading but the rest of it is on point though.

Tracula posted:

Okay. I admit I might be wrong here but why is is Seele having Nerv stopping third impact at all if it's what they want to happen? I seriously need to watch this poo poo a third time to actually get it.

It's as everyone else said, but also there's literally a checklist of Angels that have to be killed off first. they could ahve doen it before, but then they'd just be a big puddle and the next Angel would just touch an unguarded Lilith, kill everything and gently caress everything up, and there'd be nothing to do about it.

Which isn't the best because it trivialises everything before the ending. "All those close calls and dramatic character moments? Just as planned! Buwahahaha!"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So SEELE wanted to stop the Angels from making contact with Lilith hence why NERV exists.

Then they sent an Angel - Kaworu - to make contact with Lilith.

Huh?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

So SEELE wanted to stop the Angels from making contact with Lilith hence why NERV exists.

Huh?

Their exact intent behind that is mostly unclear, but-

They presumably did it on purpose, and were well aware of what they "had" in Kaworu from the beginning. They just expected/hoped that Shinji would "defeat" him to allow their plans to move forward.

I have to imagine that the line about the 17th Angel in the Dead Sea Scrolls was a mouthful. "So the 17th will be the soul of the first, but you, future evil organization, will have to provide a vessel for it. You will also have to have awakened the first and salvaged its soul prior to any of this happening. Also, this is all presumably written in Aramaic or whatever."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Doesn't the world go pop if an Angel makes contact with Adam, not Lilith? Lilith is down there pretty much as a decoy.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Doesn't the world go pop if an Angel makes contact with Adam, not Lilith? Lilith is down there pretty much as a decoy.

Whenever you see Antarctica in the series it's this crazy red landscape and everyone refers to it as hell. Second Impact, sure, was a big explosion, but it also created a small Angel ecosystem that's inhospitable to Lilin.

An Angel successfully making contact with Adam will produce a worldwide version of that (which is Third Impact without an Instrumentality). This is slightly hard to achieve given that Adam is a soulless embryo.

Honestly, the Adam/Lilith switch and what Angels are actually trying to accomplish with who/what is flimsy as gently caress and they kinda try to have it several ways at once. Kaji calls Lilith Adam when confiding with Misato even though he delivers Adam to Gendo himself. Most handwave it away with "Angels can sense but not differentiate between Adam and Lilith and just head towards it. There's an insinuation when they fetch the spear from Lilith that an Angel making contact with Lilith will do nothing and the whole thing is a lie to ensure NERV employees do their best not to accidentally allow Lilith to get destroyed and gently caress up Instrumentality plans by raising the stakes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

But isn't Lilith the one under NERV HQ? Pretty much all the Angels as far as I can recall, excluding the one in that volcano and the one away in the ocean when Asuka appears, head straight for NERV don't they? Well i guess there was the one that just chilled out in space and destroyed Asuka's mind...

Anyway I was just going off an NGE Wiki that said Third Impact was starting by Angels getting to Lilith so maybe it's wrong and I'm wrong and i just need to re-watch the series already.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I think it's safe to assume that Angels getting into immediate physical contact with Lilith would be A Bad Thing for Humans. However, whether it'd start Third Impact as we witness it in the show and Rebuilds is up for debate.

As to whether they're (Angels) trying to touch Lilith to trigger the Global Human Self-destruct Switch or are doing some other weird poo poo (i.e. don't realize that Lilith isn't Adam for some reason, which I doubt), :iiam:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Angels third impact: Mirge with Adam and become something new, or what ever they want. Not sure if its just that angel or all angels that would merge or Tang.

Seele third impact: Mirge Lillith with Adam, the Lillim (humans being Lillith offspring) merge along with her and Adam and tang together. Rei here acts like the dummy plug(irony) here allowing Seele to control process. kawrou is Seele's plan to set this in motion when they figure Gendo is not playing ball (though not 100% where the lance figured in the original plan)

Gendo's third impact: basically Seeles but has Adam grafted to his hand in order to try control it so as it lets him and Yui be together again.

Anno's third impact: to gently caress with the viewer by using sub textual talk about ego death and rebirth as well psychobabble to teach them how to be happy.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 30, 2014

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Seele third impact: Mirge Lillith with Adam, the Lillim (humans being Lillith offspring) merge along with her and Adam and tang together. Rei here acts like the dummy plug(irony) here allowing Seele to control process. kawrou is Seele's plan to set this in motion when they figure Gendo is not playing ball (though not 100% where the lance figured in the original plan)

I don't think that SEELE planned on using Kaworu to implement TI. In fact, I'm pretty sure their plans totally relied on his death.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

NikkolasKing posted:

Huh?
The human/Angel conflict is best viewed as a giant ritual (several rituals, really) governed by ineffable laws. They sent Tabris to be defeated because all of the other Angels need to be destroyed for the ritual to proceed. Thinking too hard about why it has to work this way is an exercise in futility.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaworu flat-out goes "oh poo poo, this isn't Adam, it's Lilith" when he gets there.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

But isn't Lilith the one under NERV HQ? Pretty much all the Angels as far as I can recall, excluding the one in that volcano and the one away in the ocean when Asuka appears, head straight for NERV don't they? Well i guess there was the one that just chilled out in space and destroyed Asuka's mind...

Anyway I was just going off an NGE Wiki that said Third Impact was starting by Angels getting to Lilith so maybe it's wrong and I'm wrong and i just need to re-watch the series already.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

They're drawn to whichever one they sense. The first few were heading for Lilith, the one in the ocean was drawn to the Adam embryo, and every Angel thereafter was drawn to NERV because Adam and Lilith were both in its possession.

DrPop posted:

I think it's safe to assume that Angels getting into immediate physical contact with Lilith would be A Bad Thing for Humans. However, whether it'd start Third Impact as we witness it in the show and Rebuilds is up for debate.

As to whether they're (Angels) trying to touch Lilith to trigger the Global Human Self-destruct Switch or are doing some other weird poo poo (i.e. don't realize that Lilith isn't Adam for some reason, which I doubt), :iiam:

It's weird because of the insinuation that all it takes is a touch for a kaboom, but I think it could be less of a case of touching it and more an Angel having access and control of Lilith and/or potentially destroy it. Or, as I said, nearly every Angel thinks Lilith is Adam and if any of them were to head down they'd see it, try to do any funny business and have the same realisation as Kaworu and go "Well, gently caress" because an Angel can't actually do anything with it, which is perhaps why NERV/SEELE are very confident and brazen about everything.

Again, the concepts in episode 24 and Instrumentality afterwards kind of trivialises everything in the series before it and it's kinda not worth thinking about in that level of depth because I'm sure plans changed and they're playing an audience and so forth.

ImpAtom posted:

Kaworu flat-out goes "oh poo poo, this isn't Adam, it's Lilith" when he gets there.

SEELE misled him. They were loving him over.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
And then he tells Shinji to kill him. Interesting how the angel that SEELE sent to NERV turned out to not even want to cause the end of the world (even if he could?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

And then he tells Shinji to kill him. Interesting how the angel that SEELE sent to NERV turned out to not even want to cause the end of the world (even if he could?).

Yeah. Arael and Armisael also seem to be doing more of a "hey you humans what are you, let's talk oh whoops you killed me" than following some MUST DESTROY HUMANS programming.

Szmitten posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

They're drawn to whichever one they sense. The first few were heading for Lilith, the one in the ocean was drawn to the Adam embryo, and every Angel thereafter was drawn to NERV because Adam and Lilith were both in its possession.

It's weird because of the insinuation that all it takes is a touch for a kaboom, but I think it could be less of a case of touching it and more an Angel having access and control of Lilith and/or potentially destroy it. Or, as I said, nearly every Angel thinks Lilith is Adam and if any of them were to head down they'd see it, try to do any funny business and have the same realisation as Kaworu and go "Well, gently caress" because an Angel can't actually do anything with it, which is perhaps why NERV/SEELE are very confident and brazen about everything.

Again, the concepts in episode 24 and Instrumentality afterwards kind of trivialises everything in the series before it and it's kinda not worth thinking about in that level of depth because I'm sure plans changed and they're playing an audience and so forth.

SEELE misled him. They were loving him over.

This.