Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

quote:

Arch Linux, a lightweight and flexible Linux® distribution that tries to Keep It Simple

quote:

xorg-server 1.16 is now available

2014-07-28

The new version comes with the following changes:

X is now rootless with the help of systemd-logind, this also means that it must be launched from the same virtual terminal as was used to log in, redirecting stderr also breaks rootless login. The old root execution behavior can be restored through the Xorg.wrap config file (man xorg.wrap). Please note that launching X through a login-manager (gdm, kdm, ...) doesn't yet provide rootless access.

The default configuration files are now in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d, all host configurations are still taking place in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory. Please note that files 10-evdev.conf and 10-quirks.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d could be renamed with .pacsave suffix, which could break your configuration, then just rename them and remove the .pacsave suffix.

tl;dr: here's the new xorg-server that was released five minutes ago. it's guaranteed to break every installation that uses xorg-server. it's broken because it defaults to a new configuration that nothing yet supports. to get it working again you have to create a new configuration file and fill it with new options and if you don't know what those are already, go read a manpage because gently caress you. we're also going to rename two of your configuration files for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your tl;dr is like 2 paragraphs long fucker

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its almost as long as the loving article

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

its nice to see you too pram

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
reddit loves its tldr

"today i hosed a cat"

tldr: cat gently caress

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

you sure do know a lot about reddit

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sweet buckle

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
i downloaded arch linux once and the packaging system was broken out of the box. then i installed slackware because i wanted something that was more user-friendly.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

shrughes posted:

i downloaded arch linux once and the packaging system was broken out of the box. then i installed slackware because i wanted something that was more user-friendly.

this is a perfect execution of some classic humor, but it requires some knowledge on the part of the reader. u see a scenario is set up which is believable (pacman is broken) and then, THIS IS WHERRE THE MAGIC HAPPENS, he switches to something which has abysmal package management

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just saying pacman was broken wouldnt be a joke

pram
Jun 10, 2001
close thread and goldmine thx

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

pram explains it all

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did we all switch to lunix yet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i used slackware once it owned

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

well i fixed all my machines but jesus christ

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

theadder posted:

did we all switch to lunix yet

what do you mean "switch"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

i used slackware once it owned

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013

oval office AND PASTE posted:

why? they are just going to be equally retarded and break it in a new way soon.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

pwned

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

posting in an arch thread, the most shameful of linuxes

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

or is "linux" just plural by itself

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pretty sure gentoo is the worst

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

arch is "gentoo without all that waiting" so it's at least better than one thing

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
tl;dr: my linux broke itself in an update because it wouldn't be linux otherwise

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

rotor posted:

from one of the other operation systems, rotor. solaris, or hp-ux, or possibly aix.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phoenixan posted:

tl;dr: my linux broke itself in an update because it wouldn't be linux otherwise

idk why youd update linux

once when i ran slackware and it owned it was a server and why the heck would i ever update it

youre the same kind of mother fucker who updates windows and has ios7 aren't you

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i like slackware

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I think Ubuntu is pretty cool. It's totally free, and did you know it means "peace" in African?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is there a distro that's as pleasant to janitor as arch but less of a frickin minefield every time theres a package update. my linux box is probably old enough to work with debian stable, maybe ill try that again :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is there a distro that's as pleasant to janitor as arch but less of a frickin minefield every time theres a package update. my linux box is probably old enough to work with debian stable, maybe ill try that again :v:

My man, have you tried PCLinuxOS?

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
in something like 2010 i installed fedora and tried to play somes music and it said some bullshit about not having the right package installed so i clicked the thing to make it install and then it said somehting about a broken dependency and i stopped using it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

atomicthumbs posted:

My man, have you tried PCLinuxOS?

does it support my uber :spergin: custom encrypted lvm scheme

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

did someone say gentoo?

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
didn't know linux was still going

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

apparently it is. and it's gnomeier than ever.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

lol if you're too dumb to check arch news before pacman -Syu. like do you not learn lessons ever

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

arch is garbage and also the best linux

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dicky B posted:

arch is garbage and also the best linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

oval office AND PASTE posted:

if u actually continue to use arch you deserve everything you get

have you considered using a distribution of linux known as fedora, op?

• Locked thread