Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Kickalicious destroyed Lions training camp, loses to Akers who pretty much cost the Lions the playoffs.

Lions still have no reliable FG kicker, why not get the guy who did really loving good last year?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Hizawk posted:

Kickalicious destroyed Lions training camp, loses to Akers who pretty much cost the Lions the playoffs.

Lions still have no reliable FG kicker, why not get the guy who did really loving good last year?!

Kickalicious and Giorgio Tavecchio both getting roster spots this year would really own.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shocking!

quote:

The Detroit Free Press reports first-round TE Eric Ebron has dropped "an inordinate number" of passes through spring and the first two days of camp.

At least one NFL scout questioned Ebron's hands, especially when going over the middle, in the pre-draft process. He had an 11.4 percent drop rate last season at UNC. Coach Jim Caldwell isn't worried, and blames Ebron learning so many positions and thinking too much right now for his shaky hands. It could be an up-and-down rookie year for Ebron. He's a late-round flier in re-draft.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Atticus Finch posted:

It didn't have to. If you gave Johnson the contract he currently has with the Bucs, you could very easily have given an extension to Burfict and had money left over. Green is with the team for 2 years, minimum. Dalton could be with the team for one extra year. Both deals can be extended with the franchise tag. None of that even takes into account the growing cap number.

I know Johnson was a long wait, but Johnson also knew what football was and had played it for a while/didn't start his sophomore season as an old man. Hunt is not going to magically replace Johnson. Also, Hunt isn't taking Johnson's spot on the line.

Johnson also wasn't 280 lb (now 290+ lb) monster who is both the strongest guy on the team yet also runs (unofficial) 4.51 forty. I'd be very surprised if Hunt didn't at least match Johnson's 2013 performance this year.

Carlos Dunlap is taking RDE spot.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 30, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Prepare to be very surprised because that's a lot to ask for.

I know Dunlap is taking Johnson's spot, that's part of the problem of seeing Hunt as Johnson's replacement.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

:laffo: good job lions

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Good lord what an awful pick.

Is this what the DHB pick looked like at the time? I was in way too much denial for 2 years or so

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Nah, Ebron was the top TE for a lot of people

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
I don't get how Mayhew went from being a really good GM to a really mediocre one in such a short amount of time.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Blitz7x posted:

Is this what the DHB pick looked like at the time? I was in way too much denial for 2 years or so

Not nearly this bad. Ebron was the highest ranked TE on almost everyone's board. he got drafted a little too highly but he had a lot of potential and wasn't too far of a stretch. DHB was a late first rounder at best and was taken higher with the best prospect WR still on the board.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
A few sources were convinced that Baltimore was very high on Ebron. Considering their 1st round offensive track record it would make sense if he sucked. On the topic of big men who can't catch footballs how has Kelvin Benjamin looked in camp?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

Times this by 10 and you have that Oakland pick

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The DHB pick was extra fun because Al Davis had fully devolved into cliche by that point and everyone called it before it happened.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

A few sources were convinced that Baltimore was very high on Ebron. Considering their 1st round offensive track record it would make sense if he sucked. On the topic of big men who can't catch footballs how has Kelvin Benjamin looked in camp?
Injured.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I never heard anything about Ebron having drop problems.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Has had one drop all camp, but banged his knee and got a bone bruise. He looks like our best receiver by far (admittedly this doesn't say much, but still)

He's missed one practice and shouldn't be gone too long. They're just beings super careful because, again, he's currently their best wideout.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Speaking of..

Jamison Hensley posted:

Defensive end Brent Urban and defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan both got hurt on a running drill against the offensive line less than an hour into practice.

Urban, a fourth-round pick out of Virginia, looks more seriously hurt with what appears to be a right knee injury. He needed to be helped off the field by two trainers and was later carted off.

Jernigan, a second-round pick from Florida State, suffered a back injury. He followed Urban inside team headquarters but he walked off the field on his own power. Jernigan, who was competing for a starting job, had been one of the more impressive rookies at this year's training camp.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

zimbomonkey posted:

That was one of the biggest knocks on him. Scouts loved his size and athleticism but noticed he never really blocked and had a high drop rate.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

zimbomonkey posted:

Lol are you serious? Where were you all throughout the draft process, Crimea?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Lol are you serious? Where were you all throughout the draft process, Crimea?

No, I just didn't pay attention to any players that were projected in the top 20. Also my whole family are unc homers that promised me he was the next Jimmy Graham.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

News from yesterday, but Chris Harris Jr. is finally off the PUP list! :woop:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

So things are going well on the rookie TE front. Good thing we have this STUDfeld.

quote:

@CLoprestiWFAN
Vick for Amaro. The rookie falls down and Antonio Allen takes it the other way for a pick 6. Yikes...

@DWAZ73
[Jace] Amaro on diff. between concepts in college & pros: "It's like speaking Chinese to English. It's like numbers to crazy lingo."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ozu posted:

So things are going well on the rookie TE front. Good thing we have this STUDfeld.

Austin Sefari-Jenkins isn't doing well either. Richard Rogers is the only one I've heard much positive about tbh.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Glad to have some of the guys back who were hurt last year, let's see how they're doing....

Josh Wilson @Coltsfanwilson · 30m
Uh oh. Donald Thomas lets out a scream and injured on field. Walks off field but he's hurting. #Colts

Welp.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Some fighting going on at Bengals training camp, LB Emmanuel Lamur threw a punch at G Clint Boling and hit AJ Green instead (that's kind of a no-no)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

pigdog posted:

Some fighting going on at Bengals training camp, LB Emmanuel Lamur threw a punch at G Clint Boling and hit AJ Green instead (that's kind of a no-no)

is Emmanuel Lamur any good?

Cause he's probably released soon.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Yeah Lamur is pretty important to the team. And it sounds more like Boling/Lamur had the fight and AJ was a part of trying to break it up and that's when he was pushed.

When that happened the crowd yelled "NOT AJ!" lol

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

Glad to have some of the guys back who were hurt last year, let's see how they're doing....

Josh Wilson @Coltsfanwilson · 30m
Uh oh. Donald Thomas lets out a scream and injured on field. Walks off field but he's hurting. #Colts

Welp.

:suicide:

At least Luck is use to having no time in the pocket.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Seems like a lot of training camps have been getting fairly chippy. Lamarr Houston has been involved in three already throughout OTAs and training camp.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Azhais posted:

Austin Sefari-Jenkins isn't doing well either. Richard Rogers is the only one I've heard much positive about tbh.

Isn't the learning curve for TEs supposed to be similar to that of receivers, in that they usually take a season or two to look NFL ready?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

DupaDupa posted:

Seems like a lot of training camps have been getting fairly chippy. Lamarr Houston has been involved in three already throughout OTAs and training camp.

He does that

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Raise your hand if your training camp has the "more physical than last year" vibe going for it. There was zero hitting during the Shanahan era and the defense definetely looked like they never hit anybody. Anyway maybe that's the reason for all the fighting.

Or the heat, heat makes people crazy.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Things get chippy every year. It's not really a new thing at all. You've got a mix of a bunch of new guys desperately trying to prove they can make a roster, guys on the bubble desperately trying to stay on the roster, and veterans trying to prove they've still got it.

The surprising part is that there isn't even more people getting chippy during camp.

TBC
Jan 12, 2006

Glazers gonna Glaze

Azhais posted:

Really? The reports I've seen from people at camp watching ASJ have been pretty positive. Not the best blocker for his size, and conditioning is not where it could be, but he's been good as a pass catching TE so far.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TBC posted:

Really? The reports I've seen from people at camp watching ASJ have been pretty positive. Not the best blocker for his size, and conditioning is not where it could be, but he's been good as a pass catching TE so far.

Maybe it was early jitters then. Tweets I saw were just discussing him dropping balls a lot, but I haven't looked at the last few days.

Chichevache posted:

Isn't the learning curve for TEs supposed to be similar to that of receivers, in that they usually take a season or two to look NFL ready?

Worse. Really nobody should expect anything from a rookie TE. They need to learn all the routes like the WRs, and then all the run and pass blocking assignments too.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Remember Justin Tucker's 61-yard FG against the Lions?

He kicked a 63-yarder today :woop:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Field goals are super easy vs no defense

edit: Unless he was kicking against a goal line unit

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
There have been some reports that weight room champion Lawrence Okoye is showing signs of improvement in padded practice. In fact, he managed to completely bowl over the offensive lineman across from him with his bull rush. That offensive lineman? Jonathan Martin.

lol

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

There have been some reports that weight room champion Lawrence Okoye is showing signs of improvement in padded practice. In fact, he managed to completely bowl over the offensive lineman across from him with his bull rush. That offensive lineman? Jonathan Martin.

Tank Carradine did it today. Against Iupati.

:fap:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Atticus Finch posted:

Yeah Lamur is pretty important to the team. And it sounds more like Boling/Lamur had the fight and AJ was a part of trying to break it up and that's when he was pushed.

When that happened the crowd yelled "NOT AJ!" lol

It's funny partly because Green has been surprisingly durable considering his frame. You'd think he had Percy Harvin's injury history based on how everyone freaks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Blitz7x posted:

Remember before 2012 when Raiders fans were all talking poo poo about Crabtree like 'I guess Al Davis knew what he was doing after all :smug:' and then Crabtree promptly puts up a 1000 yard season once Kaepernick takes over the starting job? That was pretty funny.

• Locked thread