Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...vy-seal-sniper/

quote:

A jury in Minnesota awarded $1.845 million in damages Tuesday to former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura, deciding that he was defamed by the late Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle who said he punched Ventura out in a bar in 2006 after the former governor said the SEALs “deserved to lose a few” in war.

The news emerged after six days of deliberations in St. Paul, Minn. The award includes $500,000 in defamation damages and $1.345 million for “unjust enrichment,” according to the Star-Tribune of Minnesota. “Unjust enrichment” is typically awarded in cases in which the court finds that one person has unjustly or by chance made money at the expense of another, requiring restitution.

As outlined in this Checkpoint post, the case got its start when Ventura sued Kyle, who is billed as having the most confirmed kills by a sniper in U.S. military history. Kyle wrote in his 2012 book, “American Sniper,” that he punched out a celebrity while mourning the death of Navy SEAL and future Medal of Honor recipient, Master at Arms 2nd Class Michael Monsoor.

Kyle did not identify Ventura by name in the book, but said that he swung at the individual after he “started running his mouth about the war and everything and anything he could connect to it.” That included President George W. Bush and deployed SEALs, who “were doing the wrong thing, killing men and women and children and murdering,” the man said, according to Kyle’s book. Ventura said the whole episode was fabricated.

Kyle, who was shot to death in 2013 in Texas, alleged that he tried to get the man — identified only as “Mr. Scruff Face” — to keep it down, and he responded by saying the SEALs in the bar “deserve to a lose a few.” The man eventually took a swing at him, Kyle alleged, and all hell broke loose.

“Being level-headed and calm can last only so long,” Kyle said in his book. “I laid him out. Tables flew. Stuff happened. Scruff Face ended up on the floor.”

Kyle later said in media interviews while promoting his book that “Scruff Face” was Ventura, who served in the Navy’s Underwater Demolition Teams during the Vietnam War era. The first SEAL teams were created from UDT personnel in the 1960s, with the remaining UDT units redesignated as SEAL Delivery Vehicle Teams in the 1980s.

Legal experts had anticipated that it would be a tough case for Ventura to win. But the jury found in his favor 8-2, media reports said. Ventura’s lawyer, David B. Olsen told reporters after the verdict was read that there were no winners in the case.

“We don’t know what others may think, but certainly with this generation of young SEALs, we don’t know that his reputation can ever be repaired,” Olsen said, according to media reports.

I think this is a good thing, mainly for making a bunch of troops all butthurt they can't just make up stories about beating up professors and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
good, gently caress the military

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Cool, another outrage for my conservative friends to spam Facebook over.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

i don't know which part of this i'm supposed to be outraged at or whose side i'm supposed to take

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
what are the GIP reactions?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I heard Jesse Ventura punched the guy right in his coffin at the funeral. It's what I heard.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

First Bass posted:

what are the GIP reactions?

i assume thatll depend on whether or not they realize that jesse ventura was also (basically) a seal

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Jesse Ventura is great, Sean Hannity loves that dead guy, so I'm going with this is good.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Most confirmed kills = slaughtered the most human beings out of any other sniper in history. Hahaha, this dude is so awesome, shooting people repeatedly until he has singlehandedly killed (and gotten the highscore) than any other shooter killer dude.
Look at those numbers man.
loving NOOBS, HOW MANY HAVE YOU SNIPED TODAY? gently caress YOU, loving poo poo KD RETARDS.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Facebook idiots are real mad about this

gently caress facebook is what im saying qtiyd

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Simo Haya punched Jesse Ventura?

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp
1.3 mil can buy a whole lot of tinfoil, which he'll need to fully cover his gigantic head.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
if u sue a man for defamation when he doesnt identify u by name...
arent u admitting its true, or perhaps defaming urself

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah and the fox news pants pissing over it is fantastic

this loving idiot thought it was a good idea to help a PTSD soldier by taking him to a shooting range where he surprise, shot and killed him in a fit!

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Hey buddy howsabout you and me go down to the range and take it easy, maybe listen to the flashback inducing crack of gunfire for a while

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

WHAT A MANEUVER!!!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Why hasn't Carl Weathers tried to run for governor? Like Arnold and Jesse Ventura were in Predator and both became governors, so obviously actors who were in Predator have a good chance at running for the office of governor so why doesn't Carl Weathers run?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Good, gently caress that dead guy for making book money off killing people and making up stories about punching a cast member from predator.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jesse Ventura is crazy but its like this totally righteously indignant kind of crazy and I think he's cool

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Sintax posted:

Hey buddy howsabout you and me go down to the range and take it easy, maybe listen to the flashback inducing crack of gunfire for a while

what could go wrong?

also I just loving put 2 and 2 together and realized the dead dude is the same dude that got shot at that range

Makes me even happier Jesse won

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
He also claimed he killed a bunch of people in New Orleans after Katrina, and killed two texans who tried to take his truck in which their bodies were never found.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tory/?tid=hp_mm

I dunno.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So if the guy is dead who pays Jesse Ventura?

Or is it like a figurative million dollars.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Moridin920 posted:

his estate

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

you posted a lot of anger over how global economics work and you dont even understand estate law?

thats like Bourgeois 101 man

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Moridin920 posted:

Book money I'd imagine.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
was trying to make a joke

:negative:

it was going to lead to 'pissed of SEAL's kid refuses to pay since he says it's his money now not his dad's and he doesn't owe poo poo.'

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

we all pay with our tears

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

JebanyPedal posted:

Most confirmed kills = slaughtered the most human beings out of any other sniper in history. Hahaha, this dude is so awesome, shooting people repeatedly until he has singlehandedly killed (and gotten the highscore) than any other shooter killer dude.
loving NOOBS, HOW MANY HAVE YOU SNIPED TODAY? gently caress YOU, loving poo poo KD RETARDS.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JebanyPedal posted:

he's the ultimate 360noscope

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Moridin920 posted:

he's the ultimate 360noscope

if he did that ppl would have taken his side itt

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

how did he even find that many islams?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Moridin920 posted:

I've read that it's the insurance company for his book.

Vacation Tenzin
Jan 23, 2005

I'M TOTALLY CALM AND RELAXED.
Guy claimed he could cure some dudes war PTSD by taking him to a loving shooting range. Talk about Trigger Warning :rip:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Well Jessie died in Predator so he is kind of the authority on that. Good for him

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Vacation Tenzin posted:

Guy claimed he could cure some dudes war PTSD by taking him to a loving shooting range. Talk about Trigger Warning :rip:

"oh, you got some issues dealing with all the bangbang and death you saw/dealt out over there? poo poo bro, I know what you need - nothing like returning to the same sort of high stress situation to make you feel whole again!"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Vacation Tenzin posted:

Lmao, good pun.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vacation Tenzin posted:

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Maybe he was setting up another situation where he could shoot someone then write a book about it.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's still hosed to sue the family of a dead man no matter how many afghani headshots he's boomed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
you mean the guy that sniped 160 dudes is a liar?

• Locked thread