Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reive
May 21, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It occurs to me that, while a lot of people in the thread obviously like shmups, not everyone's familiar with the terminology, like 1CC, loop, etc. Anyone mind if I write up a short glossary of terms?

Fortunately this is already a thing that exists:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=9665

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure if it's because it's not up to the standards or I didn't make the post large enough, but my Raptor video didn't make into the OP. Just nitpickin'.

Sorry, I have to go through the thread again. I did a little bit at work, but didn't get a chance. Soon!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Any ideas for how to record a game that's rather... vertical? The native resolution for this game is 3:4, and that seems like it would look awful on youtube.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
This thread has a lot of bullets and it has a lot of anime bullshit, but you know what it doesn't have? A versus mode.

Buckle up for Twinkle Star Sprites, one of the best shooters (and best video games period) you've never heard of.

Seriously, check it out. I don't think there's another game like it in existence (other than the sequel)

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

:swoon:

I think my username/av make this fairly obvious, but Ketsui is quite possibly my favorite shmup ever. Jaimers already pointed it out, but the general style and aesthetic of this game are absolutely gorgeous. Also Tiger Schwert and Panzer Jaeger are probably some of my favorite player ships ever.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

inthesto posted:

I don't think there's another game like it in existence (other than the sequel)

The only other one I know of is Phantasmagoria of Flower View, which also does the splitscreen versus mode thing. Doing stuff on your side causes spellcard attacks to appear on the other side.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

inthesto posted:

This thread has a lot of bullets and it has a lot of anime bullshit, but you know what it doesn't have? A versus mode.

Buckle up for Twinkle Star Sprites, one of the best shooters (and best video games period) you've never heard of.

Seriously, check it out. I don't think there's another game like it in existence (other than the sequel)

So is this kinda like the Tetris Versus/Puyo Puyo thing of sending garbage to your opponent, except as a shmup?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah I was thinking the same, really reminded me of Tetris Attack.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Reive posted:

Fortunately this is already a thing that exists:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=9665

Well poo poo, wish I'd found that before I wrote all this up.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Well poo poo, wish I'd found that before I wrote all this up.

A lot of these terms are self-explanatory and it's definitely going to be overwhelming for a new person to sort through the insane amount of chaff that glossary has, so you should post yours.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

So the last time a shmup megathread popped up, it inspired me to track down an old game I remember playing as a kid, Raptor. This time I've managed to find the other old shmup I used to play, Galactix.

Of course, it turns out that Galactix is simplistic, very repetitive, and short, so my commentary will mostly be about planets instead. The full 30-minute video is encoding even now, but getting enough factoids to fill it will take some time, so this is just a heads up for the thread/me making sure that going off on a tangent is kosher.

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

Cho Ren Sha 68k is a doujin shmup originally released at Comiket 1995 for the Sharp X68000 line of home computers in Japan. The game was developed by Koichi Yoshida with music done by Loser Kashiwagi. Although the game is nearly 20 years old, it's still a really enjoyable game with great gameplay, controls, and music. It received a Windows port in 2001 and has been available as freeware for a while. You can download a copy for yourself here, although you'll probably need to set the compatibility to Windows 98 mode in order to fix music and sound stuttering issues.

I'll be demonstrating a full run of the first loop of the game. It's not a particularly difficult game compared to other shmups, but it's a ton of fun to play and it strikes a good balance between the sparseness of older shmups and the screen-filling bullet curtains of newer ones, plus the music is always a treat to listen to. It's a great choice for anyone looking to get into shmups or fans of the genre looking for something new.

With that in mind, please watch and enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8lp4hWulQg

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Lance Streetman posted:

So is this kinda like the Tetris Versus/Puyo Puyo thing of sending garbage to your opponent, except as a shmup?

Yep, as a versus game, TSS really resembles a puzzle game more than a fighting game, but it's great either way.

Also, I looked up Phantasmagoria of Flower View, and man it just looks so unpolished. But I guess all Touhou games are like that.

Also also, I didn't catch him in the video, but TSS has one of the greatest characters of all time, Feline Sentinel:

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I've uploaded a quick video of a challenge run in Jamestown. It shows my last death and my win.

http://youtu.be/eMjZfK0cA7Y

\/\/\/\/\/

Whoops. Not anymore. Sorry about that.

NinetySevenA fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 31, 2014

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

NinetySevenA posted:

I've uploaded a quick video of a challenge run in Jamestown. It shows my last death and my win.

http://youtu.be/eMjZfK0cA7Y

That was an impressive run!

Kobold eBooks fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 31, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

bathroomrage posted:

A lot of these terms are self-explanatory and it's definitely going to be overwhelming for a new person to sort through the insane amount of chaff that glossary has, so you should post yours.

That's a fair point, actually. Okay then, here's a brief glossary of the most common terms and phrases you're likely to encounter in this thread. If anything needs further clarification or adding, let me know.

Shmup: short for 'shoot-em-up', a genre consisting of One Lone Ship auto-scrolling forth against endless armies of increasingly complex and elaborate death machines. Pronounced the way it looks. Also known as 'shooters'.

Danmaku: also known as 'bullet hell' or 'curtain shooter', this is a game/genre that is typified by complex patterns of bullets that the player has to weave between while firing back. The word 'danmaku' means 'barrage'.

Vertical shooters: Played top-down with the playfield scrolling from top to bottom. Classic vertical shooters include Raiden, the 194X series and TwinBee. Most bullet hells/danmaku games are vertical shooters, but not all vertical shooters are bullet hells.

Horizontal shooters: A side-view game, where the playfield scrolls from right to left (and sometimes the other way if the designers are feeling sadistic). Generally seen as being slower-paced and more methodical than their counterparts, these tend to be more about surviving waves of enemies, rather than waves of bullets. The genre is typified by games like R-Type, Gradius and Darius.

Touhou: the series that most people think of when they think of bullet hells. Created by a one-man programming team known as Team Shanghai Alice (Or ZUN, as the guy himself is known), the Touhou series arguably revitalized the genre in the eyes of the general public. The series has spawned enough fanwork and fan-made games to fill the Mariana Trench. Basically a Big Deal.

Cave: The other company folks think of when it comes to shmups, Cave are responsible for most of the major shmups of the last decade or so, with games such as the DoDonPachi series, Deathsmiles, Mishihimesama and Ibara. Also dabbled in the MMO market with the Shin Megami Tensei game IMAGINE Online.

Doujin shooters: games made by amateur teams, rather than professional companies, usually sold at Comiket (SDCC for amateur/fan manga artists/writers, programmers, etc). Games are usually limited print runs, only sold at Comiket, but word of mouth (and :filez:) typically helps raise their profile. More than a few large franchises, such as Touhou, have started this way. More and more are steadily making their way West via digital distribution, and several, such as Crimzon Clover, have made their way onto Steam.

Top Screen: the top 20/30% of the playfield. Most high-level players will spend much of their time here, letting them kill enemies, chain combos and look pro as hell with ease.

1CC: One Credit Clear - finishing the game on a single continue/credit. Often a requirement for seeing the secret boss(es)/true final level in modern games.

Loop: When you finish the final stage of a game, many go back to the first stage again, this time on a harder difficulty. Sometimes this only occurs if you've met certain criteria, such as not losing any lives or using any bombs. Again, this is often a requirement for seeing the full game. Also known from the first loop onwards as the 'Ura' loop.

True Boss: a super-secret final boss that usually requires the player to go through an absurd number of hoops to see, let alone defeat. Many players don't consider a game 'beat' until you kill the True Final Boss.

Hitbox: consisting of a handful of pixels, this is the actual part of your sprite that takes damage. Bullets can appear to pass through your ship, but cause no damage until they collide with the hitbox. In modern games, the hitbox is clearly denoted in the very centre of your craft, letting you clearly see judge your room for manoever. In horizontal shooters, this is typically the canopy of your craft.

Bullets: refers to the shots being fired at you, not your own, often in nice, clear neon colours. 90% of the shots on any given screen won't affect you, something that many new players forget or don't realise, leading to many panicked deaths.

Suicide bullet: bullets fired out when an enemy dies. Often the prelude to death for the unsuspecting. Also known as 'revenge bullets'.

Pattern: the way enemy bullets are fired in in bullet hell-style games. Patterns are usually fixed, rather than random, allowing players to learn and eventually weave through these patterns. Touhou games are especially famous for their bullet patterns.

Bomb: your smartbomb. Clears the screen of enemies and often bullets. Usually your only form of defence, it's sometimes the only way to progress without losing a life, also known as 'panic bombing'. Some games will let you expend a bomb when hit ('autobomb'), rather than dying automatically, but this often comes at a penalty, usually to your score multiplier, sometimes locking you out of additional content entirely.

Chain: a method of scoring that increases a score multiplier. This can take the form of constantly destroying enemies or picking up tokens left after killing enemies.

Rank: Occasionally referred to as 'grade', this is a form of dynamic difficulty that reacts to how well the player is doing. Typically, the better the player does, the harder the game gets. Rank can also decrease if the player dies or performs badly. Rank is usually a hidden mechanic, but some games include a visible counter, allowing the player to manipulate it more directly.

Grazing: another scoring method, this relies on the player getting as close as they can to bullets, so that they 'graze' the ship's sprite. Not for the faint of heart as the game encourages what would be suicidal behaviour in most other games.

Milking: deliberately procrastinating on a boss or mini-boss to further increase your score or multiplier. This can be by destroying additional parts of the boss, killing minions or missiles, etc.

Popcorn: typical enemies that die in a single hit, occasionally tossing a bullet your way. No real threat (death will more commonly come at a bullet than a collision), they only exist to increase your score.

Score: The be-all and end-all of your game. This is what you're here for. In all games, the bigger your score, the more attractive you will appear to members of your preferred sexuality and the bigger your penis gets. Even if you're a girl. Typically features enough digits to only be expressed in mathematical notation, and that's if you're not even good at the game.

Easy Mode: Seriously. Don't do it.

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 6, 2014

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I hope someone is planning to do some Raizing stuff, notably Battle Garegga and Armed Police Batrider.

I love the hell out of those games but even with playing on and off for several months now, I'm still terrible. :v:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

iastudent posted:

I hope someone is planning to do some Raizing stuff, notably Battle Garegga and Armed Police Batrider.

I love the hell out of those games but even with playing on and off for several months now, I'm still terrible. :v:

I second this, and I REALLY wanna see someone play the pre-update version of Battle Garegga with all of the drab-colored bullets. :unsmigghh:

For those not in the know, Raizing is known as the 'other' big shooter dev alongside Cave. Where Cave games generally involve concentrated, humongous pretty patterns of bullets that you have to figure your way through, Raizing opts for a style that's best described as more chaotic. Less bullets, but there are also less neat organized patterns and they tend to fly much faster than bullets in your typical Cave shooter.

Battle Garegga's original version had drab-colored bullets to fit the World War theme, they later had to update and re-release the game machines with brighter colored bullets because in a Raizing game, if you can't see every bullet you -will- get killed by a stray.

Also: WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY

Kobold eBooks fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 31, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh god drat it who summoned Jaimers. :argh: ('sup.)

iastudent posted:

Oh my god, Batrider. I don't think I ever managed to pull off my 1cc of that. Now I find myself almost tempted to pull it out again.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

bathroomrage posted:

I second this, and I REALLY wanna see someone play the pre-update version of Battle Garegga with all of the drab-colored bullets. :unsmigghh:

You mean the ONLY version of Garegga. :colbert:

E: To add on to your Raizing discussion, Garegga and Batrider are both rather notorious games thanks to their developer, Shinobu Yagawa. In both games Yagawa implemented a dynamic difficulty system known as Rank. Essentially, the game keeps track of multiple elements in the background (shots fired, power-ups collected, lives hoarded, etc.) and upon hitting certain plateaus, the game automatically becomes harder. More enemies, enemies with more health, faster bullets, and so on. The only way to significantly reduce rank in either game is by suiciding. Thus, learning to play either game well means going against some rather common conventions of the genre.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 31, 2014

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

iastudent posted:

I plan on showcasing a Raizing title, but a later one than that.

Honestly, I mostly love it because of its batshit insane intro.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

iastudent posted:

I have a batch of old 90s shmups that I plan to try and do a huge stream of me just doing a "single quarter run" of each one as if I was trying them out in an arcade. Batrider and Garegga is among them, but odds are I'll probably suck poo poo at them

Also I tried to stream Batrider once upon a time I believe 2 years ago. My modem actually died since the visual stimuli put my upload well and beyond my DSL modem's capacity. :v:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Here's a thing I did for Hellsinker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdKt1FCMCuM

I really need to actually finish that game sometime...

By the way, are there any Espgaluda experts around?
I was going to record a thing for it, but I don't do that game justice, like at all, I think I used upwards of 20 continues on the run I just did.
I don't want to YouTube Dump, but I also have my fairly recent Crimzon Clover 1CC on my channel.

Reive fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 31, 2014

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Let's take things in a more modern direction.

Always be Vauntin'- Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony
Guest starring Killer Emcee

"The year is 1619. War rages between England and Spain, unrelenting and bloody."

Released in 2011, Jamestown is a modern shooter channeling the classic arcade shooter games from the 90s. Jamestown is a vertical scrolling shooter with a horizontal aspect ratio, which is a bit strange for the genre but it handles the presentation well both visually and gameplay wise. Most of the mechanics for Jamestown are the same as classic shooter games, however instead of a screen-clearing bomb you instead have the Vaunt System which absorbs all incoming bullets for a second and doubles your damage output for a certain amount of time. The game has five stages, a gauntlet which is basically 1CC mode, several challenge missions and other goodies, along with some DLC ships that have their own perks and downsides. The game also has up to 4 player co-op, however its local co-op only.

This run was recorded in front of a live audience as Killer Emcee and I show off most of the content in Jamestown. Its not a pro-play since I'm saving that for the 1cc Gauntlet run later, but you'll get a good view of all the game's content as I clumsily try to remember how to play.

Any interested parties can get this on Steam or On their website for a fair price if you haven't done so already.

Playlist:

Stage 1: War Upon the Eastern Frontier
-In which a settlement is ravaged by betentacled martians loyal to the Spanish, and a villain appears!

Stage 2: Journey Through the Dark Sector
-In which Raleigh is pursued by the vigilant Spanish border guard, and the Awful Truth stands revealed!

Stage 3: Prisoner of the Badlands
-In which a prison break is effected by attacking the prison and all its robotic guards in broad daylight, and Roanoke's last survivor shares a vital clue!

Stage 4: Secret Mines of New Madrid
-In which Raleigh races time to prevent a foul desecration of Mars itself, and the villain shows his hand!

Final Stage: The Lost Temple of Croatoa
-In which the most ancient sanctuary of a forgotten Martian culture is awakened and made very angry, and The Conquistador goes All In!

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
At 8:45 AM EST, I'm going to stream some U.N squadron for the SNES on hard mode. Probably going to be a let's fail, but you never know. :)

https://www.twitch.tv/garbanzoguy

Made it to stage 8, then lost. I'll probably stream this again later, but I'm going to start the stream from level 8. This was fun!

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6jibn6_sdg

GarbiTheGlitchress fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 31, 2014

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014

inthesto posted:

Touhou has two of these versus shmups. One is Phantasmagoria of Flower View which was mentioned already and the other is Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream, which was actually one of the old PC-98 titles.
I like PoDD a lot more than PoFV. PoDD is super intense and fast-paced with bullets constantly being fired at you at light-speed. PoFV is also super high on the bullet-cancel scale while for PoDD you just have to suck it up.
PoDD is more like a manic shmup like many arcade ones. It's also the hardest Touhou game.

Seihou also had a versus shmup called Kioh Gyoku where you grazed bullets to dump obstacles into your enemy's field. The game is unfortunately crippled by not having difficulty settings as it's just not interesting enough.

A bit different versus shmup is the arcade game Change Air Blade. Instead of two fields in this game you directly fight the other player. One of the players can also change into a boss occasionally to attack the other player.

Reive posted:

By the way, are there any Espgaluda experts around?

I've got a 53.5 million 1cc replay file lying around somewhere that I never did anything with. Maybe I can do something with that.

theshim posted:

Oh god drat it who summoned Jaimers. :argh: ('sup.)

Say shmup three times... (sup shim)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

We've seen mention of a few other Cave shooters in the thread so far, but no one's mentioned Guwange yet!

Let's Try Guwange

Part 1 (Youtube)
Part 2 (Youtube)

Guwange (guh-wan-geh) is a vertical shooter set in 14th century Japan, where you play as one of three characters each possessed by a shikigami, an evil spirit. The shikigami will kill the possessed person within a year, so all three protagonists are on the search for the demon Guwange, in the hopes that defeating him will free them of their possession. Gameplay-wise, the shikigami manifests whenever you hold down the fire button (as opposed to tapping it). While the button is held, your firing mode changes and you can move your shikigami around the field, hitting enemies you otherwise couldn't (behind cover, on top of houses etc.). Additionally, the shikigami slows bullets it comes into contact with (turning them pink), and when an enemy is defeated, any bullets the shikigami is in contact with are canceled and turned into point items. You have a short lifebar divided into three sections, and you can survive about 2-4 hits before you lose a life; but this also means you can't stockpile extra lives, and life restores are rare. Maintaining your damage combo lets you stack up coin value, but remaining passive drains your combo bar pretty quickly.

The three player characters play pretty similarly, but have different frontal attacks. Shishin is a ninja possessed by the oni Rikiou, who demands Shishin slaughter as many humans as possible so he can eat their souls. His shots angle slightly as he moves. Kosame is a shrine maiden possessed by the kyuubi Yasuhisha, who is actually not actually evil and voluntarily helps her defeat Guwange. Her shots are very powerful, but narrow. Gensuke is a pharmacist possessed by the spiteful tengu Kirinmaru, causing Gensuke to take up bounty hunting as a way to sate his bloodlust. His shots are wide and penetrate obstacles.

This game also has some crazy bosses, including a giant spider with a cat's face, a shrine on wheels with a demon face in the center, and a demon baby (Guwange) with a nun growing out of its pate.

This game is almost entirely new to me. I'd heard about it, but not played it before today (I did a few short test runs to get a feel for each character), so don't expect a 1CC run. I die a lot, especially in part 2; I didn't count the number of credits I burned to get through the game, but it's got to be at least 10. It starts out pretty easy, but a few levels in the game starts throwing some real bullshit at you. Bullet patterns are extremely dense at times, and you have to be real fast with your shikigami to cancel out enough of them to slip past. Later on, you also have enemies coming in at you from the left, right, and bottom (and the only way to hit below you is with your shikigami), sometimes simultaneously, and the last level has several sections I just don't know how to deal with at all without bombing like crazy.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 31, 2014

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
I'm about to do a quick playthrough of Thunder Force 3 on mania(won't beat the whole game, but I'll see how far I can get)

https://www.twitch.tv/garbanzoguy

Gamingnerd
Apr 14, 2014
Retro/Grade

This is a pretty unique horizontal shooter / rhythm game in which you travel through the game in reverse! Basically you start the game at the final boss, and finish at the first level undoing every action that is taken by both you and the enemies onscreen. How this is achieved is based on the music that plays during each level. Every action is done in time to the music and you must match the visual cues to successfully "fire" your gun, or dodge enemy fire.

I did a full playthrough on all difficulties (no commentary) earlier in the year, but I would also love to watch someone else try it out for themselves and see how they like it.

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014

eXceed 3rd- Jade Penetrate (1cc, highest difficulty)

Someone already mentioned this but eXceed 3rd- Jade Penetrate Black Package actually did used to have a non-black package version.
And I think this version is worth showcasing just to show off how vastly different it is to Black Package. Because it would be easier to say what is NOT different.
Graphics, mechanics, bullet patterns, stage design, pacing it's all different. It's pretty much a completely different game.

The original was way, way faster paced in action while Black Package was made to be very slow-paced and all of the bullets go at a snail's pace even on the highest difficulty.
I guess you can say that the original was more in the manic arcade style while for Black Package they felt like they had to make the game in more of a Touhou sort of style. It's interesting just to see how dramatically it changed between versions.

I'm a bit bummed they didn't include this version into the eXceed collection because it's actually quite fun and I sort of like it more than Black Package.
I'm not sure why they didn't include this game, but did include eXceed 1 which is a complete piece of garbage.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
"It's Like Gradius But Japan", let's play Gokujou Parodius!

Click Here To Receive Your Free Complete Game Parodius!

Welcome one and all to Gokujou Parodius, a.k.a Fantastic Parodius: Pursue the Glory of the Past which is the third in the Parodius series. The series blends a fine mix between Gradius-style shoot-em-up gameplay with powerups and pace along with some elements of Twinbee. Konami's absurdly-stupid-but-INCREDIBLE-FUN series is a mockery of itself, other Konami games and even Japan itself.
Join me and FreezingInferno in this one-hit-video wonder of mind-bending madness played by a not-so-competent player whose only saving grace, is that he played this game an incredible amount of times to the point of memorising a lot of parts. If you know how Gradius works, you pretty much understand this game, but for those of you who don't, a rundown of powerups:

Speed-Up: Self-explanatory
Poton/Missile: Ground-crawling attack to deal with enemies underneath you
Double: Shoots a secondary shot upwards, must choose between this or Spread Gun
Spread Gun: Shoots a blast-inducing series of shots to trap enemies in its blast radius, must choose between this or Double
Option: Extra allies to increase rate of fire
OH!: Reduces all of your stats to 1 and takes all abilities away
Bubble: A shield

Every choice of fighter has their own variations of this but this is pretty much all you need to know. As for some additional info on stuff I mentioned
The Israeli folk song remix from Sexy Parodius based on "Mayim Mayim".
The "Turkey in the Straw" song on the PSP version of Gokujou Parodius.
The "That's The Way (I Like It) remix featured in Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius.

Have fun everyone, and go crazy! If nobody else wants to try Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius then I will gladly go ahead and do it. Parodius Da however I'm letting Highwang or someone else do because gently caress that game.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 31, 2014

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Those colored tablets are a reference to Xevious, where they were a big pain in the rear end indestructable enemy. :eng101:

Reeckensall
Sep 27, 2012

When I broke bad
I never knew 'bout all this trouble I would have...

Jaimers posted:

I'm not sure why they didn't include this game, but did include eXceed 1 which is a complete piece of garbage.

I bought the collection on steam forever ago, but never bothered to play eXceed 2nd or 3rd because I played eXceed 1 and it was loving terrible. After having seen both you and Slowbeef's eXceed videos in this thread I have to agree that whoever made that marketing decision probably doesn't deserve to keep their job.

Reeckensall fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 1, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Jaimers posted:

And I think this version is worth showcasing just to show off how vastly different it is to Black Package. Because it would be easier to say what is NOT different.
Graphics, mechanics, bullet patterns, stage design, pacing it's all different. It's pretty much a completely different game.

One thing that was a little weird is the beginning of that looked like super unmanageable. Kudos on a 1cc of that; it looked like a nightmare.

Is Ultra mode like Lunatic in Touhou? I notice Black Package only goes up to Hard - maybe I have to unlock it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Gotta agree with most of what you said. Ketsui is all around pretty great and I absolutely love it. It's just a really good combination of challenging and accessible while still being really fun and having great visuals and music. And HIVAC is one of my favourite Cave true last bosses.
Speaking of which, any feelings on Ketsuipachi?

Also forgive me for gushing, but I really like your playthroughs/runs. Usually the first person I look up for maximum difficulty or perfect runs of shmups.

I'm glad Parodius exists. The developers were obviously both high and really loved shmups and I wish there was more nonsense like this.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Have yet to see mention of Psikyo. They put out some rather cool shmups in the 90's. Strikers 1945, Gunbird, Dragon Blaze, etc. They were also responsible for the Aero Fighters series by Video System. I mention this because Aero Fighters 2 on the Neo Geo arcade system was the game that got me interested in shmups.

I wish I could contribute but I'm broke and don't have a decent USB controller. I have a 360 pad, but the d-pad doesn't register diagonals very well, making shmupping nearly impossible.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Something about the bullets in Psikyo shmups absolutely destroys me. I don't know why, but I'm absolutely ungodly awful at anything by Psikyo :(

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

I was going to do a video for Axelay, but I'm rustier than I thought I was, and well...

I'm sure anyone who isn't the best at Axelay is familiar with this scenario.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'll admit that this is the only reason I know anything about Aero Fighters:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

theshim posted:

Something about the bullets in Psikyo shmups absolutely destroys me. I don't know why, but I'm absolutely ungodly awful at anything by Psikyo :(

Psikyo bullets are very small and very fast, they destroy anybody who hasn't memorized the safe spots/paths.

• Locked thread