Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

My uncle was homeless for a while last winter.

He's a felon (attempted murder, and he also burglarized my aunt's house, although she never pressed charges), former heroin addict, high school drop-out who struggles with mental illness. He has a GED but there's not a lot of work for a 61 year-old man, especially with his history considered.

He mostly hung out in the library to avoid the cold and posted on Facebook until he managed to get into a veteran's shelter, and then got an apartment and a job.

My uncle's criminal history and his flakiness contributed to him being shunned by my family. And he lives in Boston, whereas most of my family is in New Jersey.

He's not one of those crazy hobos you see screaming about the CIA and aliens, he just has a pattern of antisocial behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Attempted murder, but he's not crazy at all

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

vyst posted:

Attempted murder, but he's not crazy at all

Trying to kill someone and failing is in no way indicative of being insane, it just means you suck at killing people

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Something like a third of homeless people in the US are veterans too, OP.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
The weirdo hobos you see day in and day out in the same spot are a tiny portion of the homeless population, and trying to access all of the opportunities supposedly available to the homeless/broke can be a full time job. A lot of shelters exist are overcrowded, and are either too dangerous to live in or actively exclude others (I.e. "Women and kids only") in order to actually make it a safe space. Being poor sucks and it costs more to be poor the poorer you are.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Clochette posted:

My uncle was homeless for a while last winter.

He's a felon (attempted murder, and he also burglarized my aunt's house, although she never pressed charges), former heroin addict, high school drop-out who struggles with mental illness. He has a GED but there's not a lot of work for a 61 year-old man, especially with his history considered.

He mostly hung out in the library to avoid the cold and posted on Facebook until he managed to get into a veteran's shelter, and then got an apartment and a job.

My uncle's criminal history and his flakiness contributed to him being shunned by my family. And he lives in Boston, whereas most of my family is in New Jersey.

He's not one of those crazy hobos you see screaming about the CIA and aliens, he just has a pattern of antisocial behavior.

lol

Also being homeless sucks

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
It sucks.

Though I haven't gotten that homeless look because dope fiend bums still ask me for change when I'm walking around.

Also I have a job but I can't tell my employers because they will fire me/take advantage of the situation and overwork me to death/or treat me as a pariah

I'd say don't be homeless, but my situation is shared with lots of other people who sleep in their car at your local 24 hour wal-mart, so it's way more common than it should be.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OMFG FURRY posted:

It sucks.

Though I haven't gotten that homeless look because dope fiend bums still ask me for change when I'm walking around.

Also I have a job but I can't tell my employers because they will fire me/take advantage of the situation and overwork me to death/or treat me as a pariah

I'd say don't be homeless, but my situation is shared with lots of other people who sleep in their car at your local 24 hour wal-mart, so it's way more common than it should be.

There's nothing wrong with living in a car man. I did it for nine years. The best years of my life.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
what kind of car do you live in

a van wouldn't be bad

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
a mazda, so it's very uncomfortable and i am honestly envious of people with vans and that is state of being i never thought i would attain

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OMFG FURRY posted:

a mazda, so it's very uncomfortable and i am honestly envious of people with vans and that is state of being i never thought i would attain

How is it that you're working but live in a car? Where does the money go?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't mind paying taxes but I think the budgeting thing for budgeting sake is dumb see: nasa has to spend all their money on one rover to establish the necessity of their budget, then it gets slashed anyway.

Why can't some of the repaving of neighborhoods wait while the homeless get cleaned off the streets?? Cause of the invisible envelopes that separate each category??

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
you have no idea how expensive it is to eat when you have no oven or fridge

also storage for my stuff that i can't sell/need

i also have a planet fitness membership so i can shower regularly

i'm trying to save up for an apartment but tips haven't been all that great and i've been getting a lot less hours than i should, been looking for a second job

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
drat that sucks

you gotta try to get a job at a place that has showers there that's a big help

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
It's pretty easy to wind up homeless even if you don't have any raging drug issues or arguments with invisible men but for some reason are incapable of holding a job (work history consists entirely of lifting things and then your hurt your back whoops lol tough luck sucker; you're perfectly lucid and intelligent but incapable of acting like a model citizen long enough to work at Starbucks or w/e; you got convicted for something dumb at 19), once you're living out of doors getting any kind of steady job starts to become an absurd proposition, and most households can't just take on stray people like they're cats or something so you just stay out there living like an animal and getting dirtier and crazier until some bored rich kids come by and light you on fire

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 31, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if I ever became that hosed I'd probably go murder suicide some ultra rich people because why not

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

RWT3 posted:

Factory worker gets laid off. He doesn't have any particular skills and struggles to find work. He is diagnosed with cancer and undergoes expensive treatment, wiping out his savings. Unemployment runs out. Bank forecloses on his house, and he has to live in his car. No one wanted to hire him anyway, and they especially won't hire someone who hasn't showered in days.

Within six months, all homeless people are drug addicted or mentally ill, whether they started that way or not.

I'm so scared of this being me. I haven't worked in years due to not cancer, but kidney failure. I'm still extremely lucky to be living off the charity of my family, though that only goes so far. Like, I live with my dad, but I'm in the process of being pushed to a second property where I'll pay for utilities, and even that is a cause for stress on my extremely limited ssi funded budget. However, I'm not at all in my lowest point right now. I've been lucky to always have a roof over my head but I've been extremely poor at times, living and working among people that didn't as peers. I've had points where I've had to swallow my pride and let strangers volunteer to pay for things like food or my baby's diapers for me. It's an ugly, humiliating place, and it terrifies me that I have to rely on others in my life as I'm too sick and our nation's healthcare state is too hosed to allow me the bootstraps to pull myself up by.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

OMFG FURRY posted:

you have no idea how expensive it is to eat when you have no oven or fridge

can you get SNAP without an address?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

gagelion posted:

can you get SNAP without an address?

lol i just looked this up and i have to go through surveys and add my phone number to a calling list to even start applying, god i love texas

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You might be able to avoid some of the red tape if you apply in person at the Health and Human Services department in your county (or whatever Texas might call it). But I'm still not certain that you can get away with having no mailing address. You might need at least a PO box to receive paper mail. I know here in Michigan they have yet to enter the 21st century and send anything electronically.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
id think you could use a homeless shelter for your mailing address

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
the only homeless shelter i know of is also the go to place for an open air drug market so i'm not spending any amount of time near there, seriously a wal-mart parking lot is safer than that place

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there was a Let's Play in the LP forum that was canceled because one of the goons in it became homeless

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

gagelion posted:

id think you could use a homeless shelter for your mailing address

You could if you want your poo poo stolen, certainly

Assuming you're in a place which even has shelters open year round, such as...?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Section 8 housing, Medicare, food stamps, unemployment, what happened!? I need an ex-homeless person to explain it all to me. How did you alienate your entire family (close or extended, especially if your close family all died in a house fire that claimed your identification and fingerprints)
Your Dead Gay Son hosed around with this message at Jul 30, 2014 around 8:53 AM

we have all these things and they get people off the street, but it's an extremely bureaucratic process full of catch-22s like trying to get a homeless vet who has only been clean for a month and has no cell phone to find their social security card

until we treat homelessness and mental illness like loving emergencies and, holy poo poo, get these people in apartments and/or on necessary medication before worrying about paperwork it's going to continue to be a problem

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Moridin920 posted:

if I ever became that hosed I'd probably go murder suicide some ultra rich people because why not
you'll get taken out by some poor fat guy working private security they hired for $2 above minimum wage before you even get close.

babies havin rabies posted:

until we treat homelessness and mental illness like loving emergencies and, holy poo poo, get these people in apartments and/or on necessary medication before worrying about paperwork it's going to continue to be a problem

sorry but blacksnig-urban feralswelfare queens will abuse the system and that would be v. bad. it's better to inconvenience everyone to make sure it doesn't get abused 1% of the time. also that way we have to pay out less. personally we should just deal away with the whole crummy charade and remove all those useless parasitic programs.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 31, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

utah figured out "hey, leaving people out on the street costs us more money than giving them a home and a social worker" and lo and behold, they now have the best homeless policy in the U.S.

never thought i'd say that we should emulate Utah but there you go

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Y-Hat posted:

utah figured out "hey, leaving people out on the street costs us more money than giving them a home and a social worker" and lo and behold, they now have the best homeless policy in the U.S.

never thought i'd say that we should emulate Utah but there you go

they don't actually give them homes, they just lure them into empty apartment buildings and harvest their organs for mormon ceremonies

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Seriou post from someone who works with homeless in California

Most areas do point in time homeless surveys once a year. Most homeless are single men. Most of them have mental illness/addiction/dual diagnosis. They're chronic homeless and really tough to get into long term trtreatment

They usually don'tsucceed going straight from long term homeless to something like sec 8. They fail and landlord may see all sec 8 as a problem to avoid

What is needed and works is more transitional housing. Apartments often close to shelter with on site case management and behavior requirements. Funding keeps getting cut for this

Finally many homeless won't go to shelters also cause of pets

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
serious post:

Well during high school I got in contact with a school social worker (who worked at the school mainly for pregnant girls that were kicked out of homes due to being pregnant), and at the time my family was evicted from our home but never left. In any case I became legally homeless, and due to that I got subsidized housing to leave my family. I left due to abuse issues, so I "chose" to be homeless but at the same time, due to the eviction my family was technically homeless anyways? That was the situation until college, in which i lived at the dorms. Since then I have been staying at friends or getting internships for breaks. I understand that this is not the conventional idea of being homeless, but I never know where I will live beforehand for breaks and that can be somewhat stressful. In an obtuse way I am homeless and before I was legally homeless. I have not returned home or seen my family in several years. But honestly I think this decision was probably the best in my life.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Moridin920 posted:

If I ever became that hosed I'd just jump off a loving bridge. I don't think I need to explain the excruciating physical pain that comes from lack of nutrition, hygiene, and weather conditions due to prolonged periods of being homeless. I'd rather die with some dignity.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
just came back from a few days in Portland and holy poo poo that city is a loving DISASTER

racist, entitled homeless people, everywhere downtown.

literally had people telling me to take money out of an ATM for them, and tell me i was an rear end in a top hat when i refused.

also got to hear rants about those drat asians kicking them out of their liquor stores for being cheap assholes hitting up customers for drinks

shoot those people into the loving sun

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 31, 2014

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Chinatown posted:

just came back from a few days in Portland and holy poo poo that city is a loving DISASTER

literally had people telling me to take money out of an ATM for them, and tell me i was an rear end in a top hat when i refused.

also got to hear rants about those drat asians kicking them out of their liquor stores for being cheap assholes hitting up customers for drinks

i lived in sellwood and all the homeless people were rly friendly

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Chinatown posted:

So gently caress homeless people only if they're white. Got it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Kaytwo posted:

So gently caress homeless people only if they're white. Got it.

good work bringing up race

gagelion posted:

i lived in sellwood and all the homeless people were rly friendly

downtown portland is apparently very different

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Hobos don't have enough care to be politically correct, and justifiably so.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Chinatown posted:

good work bringing up race

You did. Reread your previous post.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
oregon is like 90% white (or asian) and known for being racists so yea it was implied they were white I guess.

eugene had a shitton of homeless, but mostly young gutterpunk kids and they seemed content. it was strange. they were really nice and when my girlfriend and i were living out of our car for about a week became friends with some of them and they told us some tips on where to park, shower, food, etc

i don't remember having unpleasant experience with homeless in downtown portland tho but that was about 5 years ago.

malder
Feb 7, 2005

Grimey Drawer
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651044

Hope this helps OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
.... I have legitimately thought about being homeless as a career choice. Still think about it sometimes when the price of gas goes up or strata fees go up or taxes go up or whatever else goes up.

Well, maybe not so much homeless, but go all Dick Proenneke "Alone In The Wilderness". But with internet.

• Locked thread