Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Netanyahu
Nov 20, 2013

The blood of Palestinian children keeps my engine running smooth.
I'd like to compare these two cars. Both 6 cylinders.

Charger 2006 - $7940

56,100 miles

Mustang 2007 - $8995

145,000 miles

CarFax reported that in less than a month after the Charger was first purchased in 2006, it got salvaged (now rebuilt). Presumably titled so due to a fender bender after reading an archived online auction matching the VIN. Current owner unsure himself and rarely used it. Carfax says no structural damage/airbag deployments were reported. Will do full inspection prior to purchase.

2007 Mustang is clean title.

I want to buy the Charger because the supposed-$11K in modifications ($7K paint, $2K on body and $2K in wheels) look really nice and spacious back seats are a plus.

I don't want to buy it because I fear the ultimate implications of the salvage title vs a clean Mustang.

I want to buy the Mustang because that seems cheap as gently caress for a clean-titled 2007 in excellent condition. Is 145,000 miles a valid explanation for its price or is it still a great deal?

CarFax history

Charger (I still cannot comprehend how one can salvage a brand-new car in less than a month)

Mustang

Which is ideal with these circumstances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My biased opinion:

Modern and later model Dodges are crap. Been down that road and burned twice. Grab that stang', and down the road throw a Coyote 5.0 in there. the 4.0L V6 is decent and I hear the centrifugal superchargers play nicely together for 400+ RWHP.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Let's go with neither.

The lovely rice-mobile is cheap for a reason (hint: because it's a lovely salvaged-titled rice mobile). The 'Stang seems overpriced, given its mileage. And the 2007 V6 is not that great of a car.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Any Dodge that's like pre-2013 is absolute garbage. I was valet and I got to drive tons of Chargers (and other "quality" GM products)
and they're all garbage. Hope you like an underpowered engine and a wasteland of lovely sheet plastic for an interior.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Buy them both!

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
V6 mustangs are garbage, and I personally would never spend more than 2k on anything with a salvage title. Sit on your money instead, the right car will come along soon enough

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Given your username and choice of colors I'm going to suggest the IDF version of the Caterpillar D9R. It's diesel (always good on fuel), has an awesome lighting system, is pretty much indestructible and great for shoving undesirables into the nearest body of water. There's even an optional FN Mag machine gun if you need someone to help plow the road ahead of you.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That's a cool idea and all, but clearly one buys a car because one desires to drive them on roads and have some sort of maneuverability. This vehicle, while not really playing either side, is rugged and versatile and should be able to traverse any type of rubble that may block main roadways if one needed to leave or enter an area quickly.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

quote:

I want to buy the Charger because the supposed-$11K in modifications ($7K paint, $2K on body and $2K in wheels)

hahahahahhaha

quote:

look really nice

BWAHAJAWHEFA

I dont know why im giving you advice because you have poor taste and judgment: buy a very high mileage gto so you get a car with a v8 in it.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 31, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Netanyahu posted:

Charger (I still cannot comprehend how one can salvage a brand-new car in less than a month)

The fact that you don't comprehend this is why you think it's a good idea. Simple: A month after the car was bought, something happened to it wherein insurance decided that it was better to replace a car that cost at minimum $22k, than it was to repair whatever damage occurred.

$10k+ in damages is most certainly not a "fender bender".

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

$10k+ in damages is most certainly not a "fender bender".

They must have bent all the fenders.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Believe it or not, this isn't the first time I've seen a totaled, salvaged wreck of a car described as "heavily modified."

poo poo post tag, salvage Charger vs. V6 Mustang with 150k miles (that's described as "clean" :laugh: )... it's hard to see this as a non-troll thread.

Even so, Das Volk had the best choice.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Netanyahu posted:

I'd like to compare these two cars. Both 6 cylinders.

Charger 2006 - $7940

56,100 miles

Mustang 2007 - $8995

145,000 miles

CarFax reported that in less than a month after the Charger was first purchased in 2006, it got salvaged (now rebuilt). Presumably titled so due to a fender bender after reading an archived online auction matching the VIN. Current owner unsure himself and rarely used it. Carfax says no structural damage/airbag deployments were reported. Will do full inspection prior to purchase.

2007 Mustang is clean title.

I want to buy the Charger because the supposed-$11K in modifications ($7K paint, $2K on body and $2K in wheels) look really nice and spacious back seats are a plus.

I don't want to buy it because I fear the ultimate implications of the salvage title vs a clean Mustang.

I want to buy the Mustang because that seems cheap as gently caress for a clean-titled 2007 in excellent condition. Is 145,000 miles a valid explanation for its price or is it still a great deal?

CarFax history

Mustang

Which is ideal with these circumstances?

I'd rather walk that drive either of those two shitbxoes. GG, they cant be your only choices.

The Mustang is the better, the Charger deserves a litre of fuel over the interior and a match. But I would probably get two litres and douse the Mustang at the same time.

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011
That charger is sick, dude. You should definitely buy it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Find a better mustang. 145k is a $3500 car.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

6 cylinda- really brah?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Buy them both!

Automotive Insanity, indeed.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You should totally buy that hosed up and unwanted abortion of a car (either one). You are the perfect fit for either one! Go hog wild!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

You should totally buy that hosed up and unwanted abortion of a car (either one). You are the perfect fit for either one! Go hog wild!

That Charger looks like the perfect fit for a 21 year old with multiple DUI's on antidepressants. Hopefully the welded back together frame will break in half in your driveway and make you stick to public transportation.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Offer the Charger guy 4K cash in hand and a week later sell it for $8k to some sucker who believes that aftermarket paint increases a used car's value. I'm sure there are a few around.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
A piece of poo poo Charger that'll probably rattle apart when a fly farts on it, or a well-overpriced piece of poo poo Mustang. Either or is a great choice, buddy! :thumbsup:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'm still stuck at paint wheelz and body kitz being considered "heavily modified"

buy a 10 year old M3 dude.

buy something tacky AND fast with a real 6 cylinder.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

That Charger is sick nasty!!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you buy that Charger, you need a slap.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

If you buy that Charger, you need a slap.

Sounds like he could use a slap anyway.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Neither, but if that Charger was totaled less than a month after it was purchased, it wasn't a "fender bender"

Also, :lol: $11K in "modifications" as a positive

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Let's speculate on the damage necessary to salvage a brand new car.

I guess it could be theft but why would you even want to find out? Run. Go buy a civic.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma
Knowing nothing about car paint jobs, what kind of paint job would cost $7k?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tiananman posted:

One that involves a whole bunch of hours on body work. like, say, stretching door frames back into shape so the doors open and close normally again.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

One that involves a whole bunch of hours on body work. like, say, stretching door frames back into shape so the doors open and close normally again.

And then laying down some blotchy metallic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tiananman posted:

Alternatively, if we were talking about cars that weren't total hackjobs, one that would probably cover a proper full color change - removing parts to get full access to paintable areas, blasting everything down to the metal, correcting any dents or rust, and then spending some serious quality time laying down some better-than-factory primer, basecoat, and clearcoat, with lots of wetsanding.

In other words, a $7k paintjob should look really goddamned good and not require any prepwork to be done by anyone other than the bodyshop, and calling it just a paintjob is a bit misleading.

But since we are talking about hackjobs... it should inlcude ghost flames, brah!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Buy a VL Calais, OP.

Alternatively, buy 5 1990 Subaru Legacys. Or give me the money.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is this real?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

quote:

I want to buy the Mustang because that seems cheap as gently caress for a clean-titled 2007 in excellent condition

In what world is $9k for an 8 year old Mustang a great deal? Did you realize that you can go get a brand new 2014 Mustang for $18k or less right now easily now that the 2015s are coming, and that a brand new one would have 50% more power, better fuel economy, and not be a giant piece of poo poo? Also 150k miles is a LOT for a Ford of that era.

Do NOT buy either of those cars. I hope you're trolling.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

animeliker posted:

Buy a VL Calais

Words I never expected to see in AI.

Buy the Calais, put a locked diff in it, boost it to 30psi and do fully sic helis at Parra Maccas to impress the chicks. Mate you will get so much mad pussy your dick will be just wet for weeks.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Not to get all Bucephalus up in here, but have any of you guys read the OP's post history?

:stonklol:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
This guy seems like a candidate for a Panther.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Terrist posted:

Words I never expected to see in AI.

Buy the Calais, put a locked diff in it, boost it to 30psi and do fully sic helis at Parra Maccas to impress the chicks. Mate you will get so much mad pussy your dick will be just wet for weeks.

I'm not even Australian and live nowhere near it. Still, I have a thing for the Calais, I really like it's styling, especially the absolutely redundant pop-up headlight eyelids. But from what some of the NZ and Aus guys tell me it's a pretty mediocre car aside from the powertrains.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrChips posted:

Not to get all Bucephalus up in here, but have any of you guys read the OP's post history?

:stonklol:

I bet Bucephalus has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
guys should I punch myself in the dick or finger my rear end with sandpaper

• Locked thread