Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Alternative title:

Dogfucking: I got 99 bitches but a schoolmate hosed one

Yeah, we'll keep this gif here for a while:

Previous UK Threads

July '14 thread - Claim to fame as thread regular knows dogfucker from school
June '14 thread
May '14 thread
April '14 thread
March '14 thread
February '14 thread
January '14 thread

December '13 thread
November '13 thread
October '13 thread
September '13 thread
August '13 thread
July '13 thread
May/June '13 thread
April '13 thread Thatcher came to this thread to die.
Feb/March '13 thread Warning: :biotruths:
BOGOF Dec '12/ Jan '13 thread with such highlights as my terrible landlady stealing my underwear to make sure I returned the keys and Trickjaw's fight against the bastards of the Work Program.

2010? :iiam: -2012

Two for the price of one October and November '12 thread

September '12 thread.

August '12 thread.

July '12 thread (with links to previous threads and Iohannes definitive Minimum Alcohol Pricing post).

Ninpo's excellent effortpost on the poverty trap that exists for people working up to 16 hours (but no more) a week.

Other threads of interest for the citizens of the UK :britain:

Hackgate scandal thread - Something actually happened recently!

UK Marriage Equality thread

The Irn Bru Blood Transfusion thread

The EDL/UK Fascist watch thread

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

PS: I cant believe Xachariah thinks we only went to the moon once jesus christ

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zero Gravitas posted:

And with the shuttle no less :laffo:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Zero Gravitas posted:

Xachariah also thinks that's all NASA does. I'd do a 6000 word essay on all the great things NASA did and why it furthers our understanding of our universe, our earth and ourselves 10 fold. But it's late so have just small number of things:

NASA has done some amazing things with regard to science education.

NASA's goals:
  • Extend and sustain human activities across the solar system
  • Expand scientific understanding of the Earth and the universe
  • Create innovative new space technologies
  • Advance aeronautics research
  • Enable program and institutional capabilities to conduct NASA's aeronautics and space activities
  • Share NASA with the public, educators, and students to provide opportunities to participate

Examples of some current NASA missions:
  • 2001 Mars Odyssey, Mars orbiter
  • Cassini, Saturn orbiter
  • Chandra X-ray Telescope
  • Curiosity rover (Mars Science Laboratory), Mars rover
  • Dawn, asteroid orbiter
  • Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope
  • Hubble Space Telescope
  • International Space Station
  • Kepler mission
  • Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, Lunar orbiter
  • MESSENGER, Mercury orbiter
  • Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, Mars orbiter
  • MAVEN
  • New Horizons, Pluto flyby
  • Opportunity rover, Mars rover
  • Solar Dynamics Observatory
  • Spitzer Space Telescope
  • STEREO
  • Swift Gamma-Ray Burst Mission

Not to forget Voyager 1 & Voyager 2 which still get a tear when hearing pale blue dot. They also do tons on geoscience. There's too many things they've done to further our understanding of the universe and our plant I don't know where to start. So have some cool space photos.

Space debris I
Space debris I" visualizes the collection of space junk in orbit around earth. Najjar: “Based on a data archive each spherule in the picture represents a real existing object orbiting in space. The visualization has been realized in collaboration with the Institute of Aerospace Systems at the Braunschweig University of Technology, the world leading institute for space debris tracking.

The Rose Galaxies

This image of a pair of interacting galaxies called Arp 273 was released to celebrate the 21st anniversary of the launch of the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope.

The distorted shape of the larger of the two galaxies shows signs of tidal interactions with the smaller of the two. It is thought that the smaller galaxy has actually passed through the larger one.
The Crab Nebula

See that white square? well here it is zoomed in:

The Eagle Nebula

Zoomed in, Those are as big as our entire solar system.

A Star in Midexplosion

The Westbrook Nebula is a star in the protoplanetary nebula phase, and it's actually a pretty rare phenomenon to catch on camera, because in the grand scheme of things, they don't last that long.

A Star on the Verge of Supernova

This is the Homunculus Nebula, it's spewing out poo poo tons of gas.
Will be the cloest one to earth to ever happen when its finished.

The Red Rectangle

This is the Red Rectangle Nebula, and not "Kind of a Purplish, Freaky X-Files Logo Looking Thing," because early telescopes were looking at it through our atmosphere, which distorted the image into this:

An Invisible Galaxy Destroyer

It's a victim of ram pressure stripping -- a force associated with rapid motion that can suck all of the gas out of a galaxy. This particular one, named NGC 4522 (obviously), is one of the most clear examples of the phenomenon. It's a part of a group of galaxies called the Virgo Cluster that contains between 1,300 and 2,000 galaxies. As it zips through space at over 6 million miles per hour like a loving crazy-rear end, it slams into slower-moving molecular gas, which rips out its own.

Mayall's Object

Notice the shock wave that blows out of its center, followed by the loose stars being sucked away.

The Cartwheel Galaxy

That looks like two galaxies right at the exact point of impact, doesn't it? But actually that entire structure on the right is a single entity called the Cartwheel Galaxy. About 200 million years ago (from our perspective) another galaxy collided head-on with it, sending out that blue shock wave of stars and dust. Since then, the ball-busting gravity at the center has steadily been trying to put things back together again.

Big Red Bubble

This is SNR B0509-67.5. This is the remnants of a supernova. What's crazy is that this one is 23 light-years across and expanding at 11 million miles per hour. Also looks like a red bubble.

Hubble Ultra Deep Field

The star-forming region NGC 3603 - seen here in the latest Hubble Space Telescope image - contains one of the most impressive massive young star clusters in the Milky Way. Bathed in gas and dust the cluster formed in a huge rush of star formation thought to have occurred around a million years ago. The hot blue stars at the core are responsible for carving out a huge cavity in the gas seen to the right of the star cluster in NGC 3603's centre.

This Hubble Space Telescope view shows one of the most dynamic and intricately detailed star-forming regions in space, located 210,000 light-years away in the Small Magellanic Cloud (SMC), a satellite galaxy of our Milky Way. At the centre of the region is a brilliant star cluster called NGC 346. A dramatic structure of arched, ragged filaments with a distinct ridge surrounds the cluster.

A torrent of radiation from the hot stars in the cluster NGC 346, at the centre of this Hubble image, eats into denser areas around it, creating a fantasy sculpture of dust and gas. The dark, intricately beaded edge of the ridge, seen in silhouette, is particularly dramatic. It contains several small dust globules that point back towards the central cluster, like windsocks caught in a gale.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 31, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

No, the maintenance outlay of any given space shuttle mission is to ensure it lifts off once, months apart from each other. There have been over 130 flights but that's nothing on a monorail being used daily for 50 years (thats 18,200 "flights").

The maintenance outlay of a massive monorail thats being used every single day isn't a worthwhile comparison to a shuttle that's not used nearly as often.

I guess I worded this point pretty badly though.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Xachariah posted:

No, the maintenance outlay of any given space shuttle mission is to ensure it lifts off once, months apart from each other. There have been over 130 flights but that's nothing on a monorail being used daily for 50 years (thats 18,200 "flights").

The maintenance outlay of a massive monorail thats being used every single day isn't a worthwhile comparison to a shuttle that's not used nearly as often.

I guess I worded this point pretty badly though.

Eh, this is true, but I mainly used the shuttle program to illustrate that its a mountain sized pile of money that could be better spent on other things. Like ten shuttle :ussr: BURAN :ussr: programs or creating a new series of urban centers instead of shoehorning more people into london suburbia.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Well that was a very intellectual start to the new thread. Makes a change.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Actually I can't really imagine anything better economically to spend it on apart from another large public works project like large scale council house building (which a government would never due due to house prices and the hysterics induced by them).

The money doesn't disappear once it's spent, it just circulates, I'd say the multiplier effect for a public works project is vastly higher than just about anything else short of benefits spending. EDIT: That's just a guess though.

EDIT2: Obviously I'd prefer London to not be an economic black hole sucking in all the jobs and money but Ill take any public works project over defense spending.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 31, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The Tories have fixed the deficit forever and the public finances are all tickety-boo, so they're thinking up all manner of taxes they can waffle on about cutting in the next Parliament. They've already totally rejected switching to a flat income tax and hinted at plans to raise the higher rate threshold for income tax, apparently because being in the top 15% of all wage earners in the country merely makes you a "middle earner" (I guess it's a big middle?). Now they're muttering about stamp duty and inheritance tax, which are very unfair because they "predominantly hit middle-class families."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hi, just wanted to check in from those of us still in July: is the World still there in August?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's August somewhere in the world.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

I fancied an early night tonight. Im really sorry for creating a new thread ahead of time so it wouldnt be late :catstare:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

El Scotch posted:

Hi, just wanted to check in from those of us still in July: is the World still there in August?

The future sucks, it's full of Tories and there's no Space Shuttles or Concorde.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's not August op.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014
August UKMT two and a half hours early. Cameron's Britain.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
We're here to discuss August, not be in August.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fine, I'll go ask the convicts Australians.

vvvvv Incorrect, there is a timeline where Maggie is still in power (being alive not necessary).

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 31, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The future sucks, it's full of Tories and there's no Space Shuttles or Concorde.

We're in the darkest timeline, aren't we?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

HortonNash posted:

We're in the darkest timeline, aren't we?

No, in the darkest timeline in 1984, as a result of the falklands war, Thatcher was 'upgraded' to a cyborg so that she could rule forever with a literal iron fist and iron handbag.

Instead of the gherkin, a 400m tall statue, made of the finest Kyoto steel, of her stares west from where London City Airport would be, reminding all of the world that the iron lady will never falter.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

It's not August op.

It isn't!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

El Scotch posted:

vvvvv Incorrect, there is a timeline where Maggie is still in power (being alive not necessary).
Yes there is, it's this one.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm more infuriated that the OP missed the opportunity to use BoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

BoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

The Earth hasn't exploded yet; there's still time.

PS: it is now August. :colbert:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

OP is missing something

ARE :britain: CHANCELLOR :britain: :siren: saviour of the economy :siren:.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

twoot posted:

OP is missing something

ARE :britain: CHANCELLOR :britain: :siren: saviour of the economy :siren:.

Hmm. Do they not require ministers to be security vetted? Surely this sort of history would be a big black mark on any sort of security clearance?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

HortonNash posted:

Hmm. Do they not require ministers to be security vetted? Surely this sort of history would be a big black mark on any sort of security clearance?

He got the job because he's friends with David Cameron. That's his entire qualification for the job.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gonzo McFee posted:

He got the job because he's friends with David Cameron. That's his entire qualification for the job.

He could have snorted mountains of cocaine like a cartoon elephant for all I care, if he had the remotest shadow of the expertise or knowledge required for his position. I mean there's the obvious hypocrisy involved too, but it's hardly the most disturbing aspect of how he got the keys to the UK economy

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Some people have such a pathological hatred of London. Comes up everything any sort of investment project is mentioned.
Get tied in in contradictory nonsense opposing both improvements to central London and designs to relieve pressure on it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HortonNash posted:

No, they're not vetted at all. The rumour has always been that the security services make their files available to the Cabinet Office (and hence the PM) when appointing ministers, but no actual evidence this is the case.

Anyway, past drug use or even use of prostitutes is not actually a barrier to security clearance as long as it's declared. They're interested in/worried about things that make you a likely target for blackmail or other malicious influence, so they dig pretty hard into your finances and ask lots of questions about your sex life but as long as you're honest and don't, say, owe £10k to Big Lenny to cover your hooker and blow bill you'll get through. For example - the dominatrix at the heart of the Max Moseley case was married to a serving MI5 officer, who by definition would have to have the highest level of security clearance. This presumably wasn't a problem.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
If ministers were vetted, Norman Baker wouldn't have even been considered to be within ten miles of ministerial office; MI5 really don't like him (if it wasn't for the DPA case that forced them to turn over MI5 files on him, it was certainly the David Kelly book).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, they're not vetted at all. The rumour has always been that the security services make their files available to the Cabinet Office (and hence the PM) when appointing ministers, but no actual evidence this is the case.

Anyway, past drug use or even use of prostitutes is not actually a barrier to security clearance as long as it's declared. They're interested in/worried about things that make you a likely target for blackmail or other malicious influence, so they dig pretty hard into your finances and ask lots of questions about your sex life but as long as you're honest and don't, say, owe £10k to Big Lenny to cover your hooker and blow bill you'll get through. For example - the dominatrix at the heart of the Max Moseley case was married to a serving MI5 officer, who by definition would have to have the highest level of security clearance. This presumably wasn't a problem.

Presumably a closeted gay person would be a security risk, but an out one wouldn't be? Interesting.

And I heard that because they can easily pass the background checks, the US security services are increasingly full of Mormons.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

marktheando posted:

Presumably a closeted gay person would be a security risk, but an out one wouldn't be? Interesting.

And I heard that because they can easily pass the background checks, the US security services are increasingly full of Mormons.

Yeah you can be as bizarre as you want as long as you reveal it to the spooks e.g. that dude who got off on locking himself into duffle bags (then died).

Having high debts, financial troubles is a big problem as well.

Anything that a foreign gov't can use over you is bad too.

The worst thing is to lie on one of those forms, do not do that at all.

They will find out.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Is there anything set in stone regarding criminality and getting into the cabinet (apart from having to be one! Hem hem)? Like say if an MP were an active paedophile would MI5 have a duty to report it to the prime minister or the police if they were up for a ministerial job?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I think it's apparent that they don't given recent events.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Serotonin posted:

I think it's apparent that they don't given recent events.

It is apparent that they haven't, not that no obligation existed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It is apparent that they haven't, not that no obligation existed.

There's no actual law, no. As i said before, the rumour has always been that the security services make their files available at least to the Cabinet Office when it comes to sensitive appointments (indeed the plot of the last episode of Yes Minister, where Hacker uses info supplied to him by Sir Humphrey, by then Cabinet Secretary, to finagle his way to Number 10, is based on this) but no, there's no legal obligation for them to do so.

There's an interesting counterpart to that line of thinking though - if there is an actual normal policy of vetting ministerial appointments it gives those services an effective veto on them, which is problematic at least on a philosophical level.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Q: Are we all going to die from ebola?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Little_wh0re posted:

Q: Are we all going to die from ebola?

A: Short answer, no. Not unless it mutates into an airborne virus.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012
Saw "Kings of Rock and Roll - '50s last night on BBC Four, and was struck with the paedosplaining that was done when it came to Jerry Lee Lewis. Fucker marries his 13 year old cousin and there's Tom Jones and Cliff Richards, amongst others, making out that it was no big deal. Tom Jones even made a point of saying "he married her before he had sex with her, that was his Christian beliefs" (or something very close to it).

I know that it was first broadcast in 2008 long before Savile, but gently caress me, in retrospect did people just go "yeah, he fucks kids, but I love his..../he's really talented"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

HortonNash posted:

Saw "Kings of Rock and Roll - '50s last night on BBC Four, and was struck with the paedosplaining that was done when it came to Jerry Lee Lewis. Fucker marries his 13 year old cousin and there's Tom Jones and Cliff Richards, amongst others, making out that it was no big deal. Tom Jones even made a point of saying "he married her before he had sex with her, that was his Christian beliefs" (or something very close to it).

I know that it was first broadcast in 2008 long before Savile, but gently caress me, in retrospect did people just go "yeah, he fucks kids, but I love his..../he's really talented"?
Did you miss the whole thing with Roman Polanski? Yes people say terrible stuff like that all the time.

• Locked thread