Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Tracula posted:

So did any of you assholes actually go back and count during the last BOTW?

This is I've of those things where I respect them a lot for taking that risk with such a dumb joke. Rich Evans never disappoints.

For me it was funny the first 5 times or so, then stopped being funny for a while, then the last few got me laughing out loud again, harder, because of how stupid and drawn out it was. There was a Mr. Show bit like this once where a dude kept falling over the same poo poo over and over and it stops being funny for a while then for some reason gets way, way loving funnier as you were almost begging for it to happen again each time they set it up. How does that even work? No clue, but good poo poo nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
When it became clear that they were really going to play the clip twenty times, I just skipped to the end. That kind of joke just doesn't work on me I guess.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I didn't mind that at all because I was legitimately impressed with the stunt. :drat:

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I'm looking forward to Doug and Rob Walker's talks on Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie was REAL fun. Rob indicated on Facebook he really liked it, so hopefully it won't be this nit-picky thing they do sometimes. Cause say what you will about the Nostalgia Critic, I for one enjoy watching these two discuss movies as themselves. Even when they're totally wrong, like thinking the bleak and overly serious mess that was Thor 2 is better than the first one.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

dijon du jour posted:

Speaking of which, Lupa takes a look at Ratboy courtesy of Patreon! Thanks Patreon. :sigh:

Watching the video, this movie seemed familiar somehow. Yet I've completely forgotten about its existence. I'm so sorry you had to endure that. :smith:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Kimble Justice looks at the Crazy Frog phenomenon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSps8p2XpkQ

I've only really heard the lovely Axel F song a couple of times, I think the US was pretty clear of the whole thing. It is interesting to see how a terrible cell phone ringtone ad spawned something as absurdly huge as that.

What is with the UK pop charts anyway? Todd mentioned it in a video a while back, but it seems like the UK charts get infiltrated by weird gimmick songs like Crazy Frog and Do the Bartman a lot. Are there differences in how songs are selected between the UK and US charts or something?

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 1, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

What is with the UK pop charts anyway? Todd mentioned it in a video a while back, but it seems like the UK charts get infiltrated by weird gimmick songs like Crazy Frog and Do the Bartman a lot. Are there differences in how songs are selected between the UK and US charts or something?

The UK Official Chart published by the BBC is determined entirely by sales numbers (although I believe paid streaming data has also been added this year); conversely, the Billboard Hot 100 complies its lists based on singles sales, radio airplay, and on-demand and passive streaming, each of which is weighted differently.

This is a reverse of the situation in the 1990s, when the Hot 100 was entirely sales based and a song couldn't chart without a physical release; this is why massive hits from that decade (the four most famous are "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia, "Don't Speak" by No Doubt, "Iris" by the Goo-Goo Dolls, and "Wonderwall" by Oasis) were all multi-week number ones on the radio charts and arguably the most popular songs in America, but were never released physically and as such were ineligible to chart on the Hot 100.

I'm a bit rusty on chart mechanics; I could have given a more precise answer maybe a year ago, but that's what I think the situation is.

Anyway, I keenly remember Crazy Frog, along with Nessie the Dragon and Sweety the Chick, and TV advertisements for ring-tones in general, really. A bit of a relic of the early 2000s, there, like "Cha Cha Slide" and Tony Blair being a popular prime minister.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

dijon du jour posted:

Speaking of which, Lupa takes a look at Ratboy courtesy of Patreon! Thanks Patreon. :sigh:

That first bit could have easily ended with a fade to black till a circle in the middle is left and her saying 'that's all, folks'. Those facial expressions were spot on loony tools material!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Metal Loaf posted:

The UK Official Chart published by the BBC is determined entirely by sales numbers (although I believe paid streaming data has also been added this year); conversely, the Billboard Hot 100 complies its lists based on singles sales, radio airplay, and on-demand and passive streaming, each of which is weighted differently.

This is a reverse of the situation in the 1990s, when the Hot 100 was entirely sales based and a song couldn't chart without a physical release; this is why massive hits from that decade (the four most famous are "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia, "Don't Speak" by No Doubt, "Iris" by the Goo-Goo Dolls, and "Wonderwall" by Oasis) were all multi-week number ones on the radio charts and arguably the most popular songs in America, but were never released physically and as such were ineligible to chart on the Hot 100.

I'm a bit rusty on chart mechanics; I could have given a more precise answer maybe a year ago, but that's what I think the situation is.

Anyway, I keenly remember Crazy Frog, along with Nessie the Dragon and Sweety the Chick, and TV advertisements for ring-tones in general, really. A bit of a relic of the early 2000s, there, like "Cha Cha Slide" and Tony Blair being a popular prime minister.

Thanks for the info!

The ads I remember most that the US got were ones with hilariously awful clip art 3d animations of people laughing for a service where you'd get "HILARIOUS" jokes sent to your phone. Same scam as the jamster ring tones and I'm almost certain the jokes were terrible knock knock jokes and poo poo.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I think I once heard it suggested that the UK is more conducive to novelty chart toppers because it's a much smaller place than the US, and has less regional diversity in terms of music taste than the geographically enormous States.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Do people in other countries not buy something just out of a perverse sense of humour?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

HopperUK posted:

Do people in other countries not buy something just out of a perverse sense of humour?

According to the Teevee News all other countries are desperate war-torn hellholes that don't have money to spend on frivolous things that aren't "ammunition" and "dirty water for the children". Check your novelty music act privilege please.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Metal Loaf posted:

I follow a channel on Youtube that compiles the entire Hot 100 every Thursday with short excerpts from each song, and it's really fun to watch it evolve week by week. Around Halloween, "Thriller" usually shows up and makes it to the 20s or so before plummeting off the chart in November, and it the same at Christmastime with Mariah Carey. Every now and then there's something inexplicable ("Living on a Prayer" hit 17 or something for a week last year and I have no idea why).

An odd trend I've noticed though is that if a song is really popular for a few months, it will usually have a slow decline until it hits the high 40s or so, and then drops completely. I don't know why this happens, as opposed to slowly falling all the way to the bottom. Does anyone with a better understanding of the pop charts have a good explanation?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yeah, a lot of people here are spot on with the reasons why we tend to get quite a few novelty hits here. The size of the country and the (until very recently) reliance on sales only means that novelty stuff definitely seeps through a lot of the time...novelty stuff has always tended to attract people who don't usually buy singles or music too. Imagine how depressed every old lady got in 1980 when their kids bought them "There's No One Quite Like Grandma"...it's not just novelty hits of course - the UK Charts can also frequently leave themselves open to chart pushes by bands with relatively small but dedicated fanbases and the like - rock/metal acts, dance acts and so on...it's interesting looking at what tends to hit #1 around January or so (the slow period after Christmas). Iron freaking Maiden have a #1 single over here, for christ. As do Rage Against the Machine, but that's a whole different story, worth a video on its own.

Actually, one thing I'm curious about. I might have even asked before but...how important is it to be the #1 song at Christmas over in the US? Over in the UK it's (or at least it used to be, but then the charts really aren't as big now) the most important chart battle of the year, to the point where people got almost intolerably hosed off at Simon Cowell's stranglehold of the position through Reality TV and the like (see RATM last paragraph)

And while a UK Chart discussion's going on, I must throw this link in here because it's ESSENTIAL: http://freakytrigger.co.uk/popular/

This is a written blog as opposed to anything visual, but "Popular" is a chronicle/rating of every single UK Chart #1 ever. The guy (Tom) is currently up to late 1998 and "Believe" by Cher, so there's plenty to catch up on...anything he's done from about 1994 or so is brilliant though. And this is also one of those rare sites where reading the comments is not only worthwhile, but in fact very highly recommended. There are, like, literally no bad comments and tons of them add lots more extra info/alternative viewpoints of the #1 in question. Fantastic reading, and usually updated every week (at least it has been recently).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ninjahedgehog posted:

An odd trend I've noticed though is that if a song is really popular for a few months, it will usually have a slow decline until it hits the high 40s or so, and then drops completely. I don't know why this happens, as opposed to slowly falling all the way to the bottom. Does anyone with a better understanding of the pop charts have a good explanation?

I would guess that Radio 1 might remove songs from regular rotation when they fall out of the Top 40, so they're losing attention at the same time as newer hits are starting to receive more, but I'm not sure.

I'd also surmise that the recurrence of stuff like "Livin' On a Prayer" is largely down to iTunes. It's used in some high-profile movie or sporting event or whatever, everyone jumps on their computer and downloads it because it's only 99p. Again, that's just a guess.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Actually, one thing I'm curious about. I might have even asked before but...how important is it to be the #1 song at Christmas over in the US?

Utterly meaningless. There is absolutely no cultural equivalent in USA/Canada to the UK Christmas #1 thing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

And while a UK Chart discussion's going on, I must throw this link in here because it's ESSENTIAL: http://freakytrigger.co.uk/popular/

This is a written blog as opposed to anything visual, but "Popular" is a chronicle/rating of every single UK Chart #1 ever. The guy (Tom) is currently up to late 1998 and "Believe" by Cher, so there's plenty to catch up on...anything he's done from about 1994 or so is brilliant though. And this is also one of those rare sites where reading the comments is not only worthwhile, but in fact very highly recommended. There are, like, literally no bad comments and tons of them add lots more extra info/alternative viewpoints of the #1 in question. Fantastic reading, and usually updated every week (at least it has been recently).
Billie Piper had a music career? I've seen everything now...

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Zeether posted:

She was a pop star before she was an actress...Doctor Who was part of her transition to acting.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Turns out SMG is actually the guy who does renegade cut :aaaaa:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/leon-thomas/renegade-cut/44231-jurassic-park

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is there no TGWTG anniversary thing at all this year? I know last year they did the individual short films.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The RLM guys are playing Mario Kart 64, featuring Jack, Josh, Jesse, and That Fucker Rich Evans

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there no TGWTG anniversary thing at all this year? I know last year they did the individual short films.

knowing how i feel about doug in the last year, it was most likely canceled to do more Vlogs of some popaler cartoon to get easy hits.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

The RLM guys are playing Mario Kart 64, featuring Jack, Josh, Jesse, and That Fucker Rich Evans

Bitchfucker Rich Evans. :eng101:

Jessi's the best.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently they're a nightmare to arrange.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I've got another new review, and because of the super-depressing subject matter (the Red Terror), this episode is almost all analysis and very few jokes. Here's The Chekist.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

They've stopped doing those. Flying everyone in became too expensive and too time-consuming to do yearly, especially given the need to continuously top the previous year's outing.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Zeether posted:

Yeah, her acting career was a second wind. Her pop career lasted a couple of years (she was sort of like the UK Britney, despite managing to predate her by a couple of months) but then kind of fell into a whole lot of tabloid fodder poo poo. It's probably safe to say that she'll never go back to it, even without all that acting success.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What I meant is that they aren't even doing the separate short films like last year that had basically no cameos. I knew they were done with having everyone together in one place after two years ago.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

FlamingLiberal posted:

What I meant is that they aren't even doing the separate short films like last year that had basically no cameos. I knew they were done with having everyone together in one place after two years ago.

Yeah, there's no short films this time either. At least as far as I've heard.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

New Sonichu review. This one starts to delve into some of the weirder intricacies of Chris's worldview, and a bit of discussion of the Something Awful post that may have been the spark that started the Chris-Chan phenomenon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

New Sonichu review. This one starts to delve into some of the weirder intricacies of Chris's worldview, and a bit of discussion of the Something Awful post that may have been the spark that started the Chris-Chan phenomenon.

It's weirdly fascinating to see how deep the Sonichu rabbit hole goes some times. DStecks, has Christian ever tried to contact you (directly or otherwise) about these reviews? Given his propensity to attack his critics with both barrels, I mean Or is he even aware of your existence?

I'm just asking because I'm noticing some parallels between Sonichu and Christian Humber Reloaded in terms of both composition, discovery by the broader internet (thanks in part to Something Awful in both cases), general derivativeness, and the personalities behind both "works".

I know Normalman's CHR comic adaptation was shut down after Humber's parents contacted him and asked him to stop. Would you do the same if the Chandler family asked you to stop?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 3, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

DStecks, has Christian ever tried to contact you (directly or otherwise) about these reviews?... is he even aware of your existence?

I really really doubt it.

nine-gear crow posted:

I know Normalman's CHR comic adaptation was shut down after Humber's parents contacted him and asked him to stop. Would you do the same if the Chandler family asked you to stop?

After Asperchu and the dozens of other troll comics and videos, I doubt I'd be singled out, but if Chris-Chan did ask me to stop, I honestly don't know what I'd do. It would depend on the circumstances and context; like, if he made some YouTube video ranting about me befouling his good name, no I probably would not stop, but if he asked me respectfully I'd probably consider it before saying no.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Well that review really struck me on my ol' bean.
THAT'S NOT WHAT OL(d) BEAN MEANS! Aargh!

I enjoyed the intro. It was the most Canadian thing I've seen since I reviewed Bomb Girls and I got a cameo of the Cinemasochist drinking maple syrup while wearing a Canada shirt.

I cannot think of anything more depressing than a Chris-chan video game. It'd be like being stuck in the worst cutscene of all time.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DStecks posted:

Your brother has a SWEET mullet.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Phelous covered recently Lion And The King, aka the adventures of Slalov Zizek Not-Mufasa.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I finally got around to reviewing Rebel Without a Cause. Yes, it's a gay movie.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

DStecks posted:

but if he asked me respectfully I'd probably consider it before saying no.

Thanks for Catechumen; totally helped me kill my day off yesterday.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

I finally got around to reviewing Rebel Without a Cause. Yes, it's a gay movie.

Dang. I have to agree that I despise the 1950's views of family, coming from a single parent unit and all. I also have to agree that the warped morals presented in both Rebel Without a Cause and Ferris Bueller's Day Off can simply be in a way wish fulfillment. That the idea that you can bullshit your way out of anything without any consequences or having a domineering father figure is to me, a cry to a belief of something that simply isn't true. Plus there's the fact I find funny that in both films the message seems to be "as long as you have a fall guy, it's all good".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Oh man, Half in the Bag ripping Boyhood is sort of amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DStecks posted:

I decided to watch all your reviews of this thing. Right now I am on Sub Episodes 1-4. Holy poo poo dude, Optimus Schlongichu!

Chris-Chan does scare me a bit. He is the absolute worst stereotypical nerd. Plus, you ever look at someone and think "Wow...that could have been me at one point"

I have been meaning to ask though, What made you want to review something like this?

• Locked thread