Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Uthor posted:

For some reason that reminds me of a sign I saw in a local motorcycle repair shop.

I want that sign. Is it available in a print-friendly size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KozmoNaut posted:

I just have the photo. There's "medium" sized images that I see on Google Image Search. It's just text, so it should take like 5 minutes to whip something up that looks really close.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
A truck hit the overhead structural steel on a local bridge today.

Red was a temporary work platform and yellow was a straight piece of structural steel earlier this afternoon.

A picture from the bridge deck.

This is a main arterial road into Toronto, and it looks like the bridge will be closed for weeks if not months during the repair.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The overhead view is quite spectacular

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bridge is going to have to go through a full inspection, right? You can't just rip away chunks of the structure without increasing load somewhere else, and maybe the stress will cause something to fracture.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Looks like the dump truck was driving with the bucket up, which doesn't surprise me. Every summer, the city comes through my parent's alley to patch the pot holes, and every year the dump truck snags a utility line and causes some major damage because the guys drive down the alley with the bucket completely raised..

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

xzzy posted:

Bridge is going to have to go through a full inspection, right? You can't just rip away chunks of the structure without increasing load somewhere else, and maybe the stress will cause something to fracture.

Bridge was in Canada, not the United States of Libertopia.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The truck to the right is a nice touch. :v:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I thought bridges like those were the non-redundant styles that if you take out one link the entire thing crumbles down. As the local engineers crank up into oh poo poo mode... what sort of repairs do you do ASAP to keep the structure up, and then stage to get that repair done? Also who ends up paying for those repairs? I'm guessing most insurance policies don't cover public infrastructure costs like a bridge.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

GTi_guy posted:

Red was a temporary work platform and yellow was a straight piece of structural steel earlier this afternoon.

This is a main arterial road into Toronto, and it looks like the bridge will be closed for weeks if not months during the repair.

That is just straight up impressive.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

dietcokefiend posted:

I thought bridges like those were the non-redundant styles that if you take out one link the entire thing crumbles down. As the local engineers crank up into oh poo poo mode... what sort of repairs do you do ASAP to keep the structure up, and then stage to get that repair done? Also who ends up paying for those repairs? I'm guessing most insurance policies don't cover public infrastructure costs like a bridge.

Similar thing happened in Washington state last year, except one span did collapse. Much smaller bridge but still a major headache for a few months. As far as I know the state ate the cost for the temporary span and the replacement, with some federal help I think. I'm sure there will be a nasty court battle over it, but realistically that just means some lawyers get fat paychecks. Just like with the tunnel debacle Seattle is not dealing with, lawyers and scum will get rich, the rest of us have to live with it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

`Nemesis posted:

The overhead view is quite spectacular

Holy poo poo

One niggle: As the bridge didn't collapse, this was a horrible mechanical success, though a horrible human failure.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Here you go. Click for printable bigness:

Enjoy!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

GTi_guy posted:

Which bridge is this? I'm from TO but can't place it.

As an engineer, that's terrifying. Mechanical success though. I'd bet on months before it's open again.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

TrueChaos posted:

Which bridge is this? I'm from TO but can't place it.

As an engineer, that's terrifying. Mechanical success though. I'd bet on months before it's open again.

The Burlington Skyway. Between this and Gardiner being worked on Toronto is slowly being bottled up and will eventually be a lawless dystopian 24 hour traffic jam.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Godholio posted:

Aren't these generally poo poo for most engines?

Yes - their ignitability is poor due to all of the ground electrodes sucking up the heat/energy during initial combustion phase. On the other hand, they're great if you're constantly fouling - but you could just go to a hotter heat range, instead.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

No. 6 posted:

Bridge was in Canada, not the United States of Libertopia.

And?

totalnewbie posted:

Yes - their ignitability is poor due to all of the ground electrodes sucking up the heat/energy during initial combustion phase. On the other hand, they're great if you're constantly fouling - but you could just go to a hotter heat range, instead.

But, +4 is higher than +1 or +2.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CuddleChunks posted:

Here you go. Click for printable bigness:

Enjoy!

Thank you kindly :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

While we're on this: I have a mate with a BMW e34 540i. I remember once, a few years ago, he replaced the spark plugs with no incident. A few months later his car started making ticking noises that you'd swear were tappets or exhaust header leaks. Upon closer inspection it seems the plugs had somehow come loose in the plug holes slightly; they were basically only finger tight. I reinstalled the plugs myself and just chalked it up to him being an idiot. A few months later, the same thing happened. These were some sort of 2- or 3-pronged bosch plug which AFAIK was the recommended plug for that vehicle.

After this I stuck some NGK's in it and it's still going perfectly fine with a dozen track days under it's belt. What on earth happened here? I've never been able to figure it out. I've done plugs on countless hundreds of cars, BMW v8's included, and never had this issue once.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Slavvy posted:

After this I stuck some NGK's in it and it's still going perfectly fine with a dozen track days under it's belt. What on earth happened here? I've never been able to figure it out.

In my professional opinion, I think that you could probably chalk that up to Bosch plugs being very bad.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I had the opposite problem with my car.

I've always run NGKs in every car i've owned. The Saturn was pinging a bit with them, so I pulled them after about 8k. Center electrode was melted on 2 of them (not badly, but they looked like a small glob of solder instead of a sharp tip), with the other 2 starting to show the same signs. It's back to ($$) AC Delco Iridiums.

Also the first car I've owned that didn't use crush washers on the plugs - to say I was nervous about overtightening the plugs would be an understatement.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

atomicthumbs posted:

In my professional opinion, I think that you could probably chalk that up to Bosch plugs being very bad.
New Royal Enfields come from India with Bosch plugs and most of them foul up for no apparent reason in the first thousand miles or so. We replace them with NGK and never hear from them again.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Unless you drive low tech engines.

Champion copper core for life yo. :whatup:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

New Royal Enfields come from India with Bosch plugs and most of them foul up for no apparent reason in the first thousand miles or so. We replace them with NGK and never hear from them again.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Unless you drive low tech engines.

Champion copper core for life yo. :whatup:

Rev you should try champion :v:

*gearbox explodes, wheels fly off dramatically*

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I just run without spark plugs entirely. I find it works pretty well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

While we're on this: I have a mate with a BMW e34 540i. I remember once, a few years ago, he replaced the spark plugs with no incident. A few months later his car started making ticking noises that you'd swear were tappets or exhaust header leaks. Upon closer inspection it seems the plugs had somehow come loose in the plug holes slightly; they were basically only finger tight. I reinstalled the plugs myself and just chalked it up to him being an idiot. A few months later, the same thing happened. These were some sort of 2- or 3-pronged bosch plug which AFAIK was the recommended plug for that vehicle.

After this I stuck some NGK's in it and it's still going perfectly fine with a dozen track days under it's belt. What on earth happened here? I've never been able to figure it out. I've done plugs on countless hundreds of cars, BMW v8's included, and never had this issue once.

Most of my spark plugs weren't even finger tight.

I put NGK iridums in. i'll check them in 10k, but i'm betting on the problem just being bosch garbage.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So on the topic of making sure your load can clear the bridge height:

Post Pictures of Horrible Giraffe Failures

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Re: spark plug chat

Please torque your spark plugs correctly :ohdear:

AC Delco hasn't made their own spark plugs in YEARS since they sold all their poo poo to... uhh, Torch, I think it was? That was years ago.
GM gets all their AC Delco plugs from their OEM suppliers.

GM and Ford insist on conical seat plugs because they're special snowflakes. Almost every other OEM in the world uses gaskets.

And don't use Champion. Just don't. I can't repeat the stories I've heard about Champion but, suffice it to say, the only thing they've got going for them is that they're dirt cheap... which, if you consider the fact that their market share in the OEM world is very low despite being dirt cheap, doesn't offer much confidence in their actual product.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

And don't use Champion. Just don't. I can't repeat the stories I've heard about Champion but, suffice it to say, the only thing they've got going for them is that they're dirt cheap... which, if you consider the fact that their market share in the OEM world is very low despite being dirt cheap, doesn't offer much confidence in their actual product.

If you knew British cars you'd say otherwise.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
How's that?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Found another pic of that truck/bridge impact.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

So on the topic of making sure your load can clear the bridge height:

Post Pictures of Horrible Giraffe Failures

This is bloody awful :(

Impressive!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

More a horrible bankrupt city police department failure (stacked on top of a horrible driver failure,) but this picture was taken 40 minutes after the accident blocked the road and the police still hadn't arrived. Much less someone from the FD to pour out oil-dri/foam/inspect to see that the mixture of oil, fuel, and coolant leaking on the road wasn't flammable. We're not even Detroit but damned if we aren't trying our hardest.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pendleton?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Way too green to be Pendelton IMO.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I 17 northbound 30 miles south of Flagstaff. Made an impreSsive sound.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

`Nemesis posted:

Found another pic of that truck/bridge impact.

Something like that happened in Houston last year too
http://www.khou.com/story/local/2014/08/02/11516574

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
2012 Kia Soul.

Brittle. :stare:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 3, 2014