Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

You can't start crises as a GP but you can definitely start them against a GP (Ottoman Macedonia, anyone?)
You have to actually have a core, you likely only have Scandinavian cores in Finland.

I checked and they're Swedish :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

GrossMurpel posted:

You can't start crises as a GP but you can definitely start them against a GP (Ottoman Macedonia, anyone?)
You have to actually have a core, you likely only have Scandinavian cores in Finland.

Most of the games Russia is #2 or #3 GP so they have a large bonus against flashpoint development. Practically, they can never have a crisis inside their border if they keep their high ranking. Ottos are mostly #8 or secondary so they are crisis central.

Even so, I think Slime Bro can't even put a national focus to create a flashpoint tension in Finland. Either he is a Great Power, Russia is too strong or he can't because of Finland's cores (it's been a while so I forgot all the requirements).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I checked and they're Swedish :(

iirc you can't use NF to generate crisis points when any GP is at war.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

Most of the games Russia is #2 or #3 GP so they have a large bonus against flashpoint development. Practically, they can never have a crisis inside their border if they keep their high ranking. Ottos are mostly #8 or secondary so they are crisis central.

Even so, I think Slime Bro can't even put a national focus to create a flashpoint tension in Finland. Either he is a Great Power, Russia is too strong or he can't because of Finland's cores (it's been a while so I forgot all the requirements).

I tried it before I was a Great Power and still wasn't able too, and I think Finland has 3 cores from what I'm seeing in the game: Finland, Sweden and Russia. I suspect it's that (1) one of the GPs is at war (maybe the Netherlands crisis?) or (2) Russia is just too powerful. If it's 2, that feels pretty lame.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I tried it it my game and I could put a NF on northern Finland, but not on Southern Finland. I took Northern Finland to get a border with Southern Finland, but I still couldn't. The only difference I can see is that Sweden doesn't have a core on one of Southern Finland's provinces.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Seems to me that having Solider pops of a non-accepted culture is something you shouldn't even be able to do.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DStecks posted:

Seems to me that having Solider pops of a non-accepted culture is something you shouldn't even be able to do.

But that happened all the time during the vicky time frame, the sepoys for example.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Irish in Great Britain, Poles in Russia, Bretons in France- there are tons of examples of soldiers being called up from second-class citizens.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

But that happened all the time during the vicky time frame, the sepoys for example.

That's a good point, but more of an edge case than a real example: colonial armies in lightly-colonized regions. I guess that would be more a failure of the "accepted cultures" mechanic to capture that nuance; since while they may not have been "accepted" by the ruling group, they were the majority in the region.

It just feels like population control via army recruitment is something that should have some kind of disincentive attached to it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DStecks posted:

It just feels like population control via army recruitment is something that should have some kind of disincentive attached to it.

A sense of ethics?

I mean on the other side of that coin, you really shouldn't be able to murder your wife and children in CK2 either, but that's core gameplay there.

I'm not advocating for simulated pixelpeople Paradox game genocide.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

bUm posted:

On a somewhat related note (also from pages ago): it boggles my mind that people try to mod HoI to post-WWII instead of V2, which is the naturally most analogous to modern times. It seems like updating the tech trees (changing Industrialization to Modernization), adding more economic/geopolitical actions that could levee conflict without hot war, and modest other adjustments would go very far towards modelling the Cold War through today far better than anything HoI could do.

Speaking of Cold War mods for V2, are there any good ones out there?

The only up to date one Ive been able to find is kinda the 'Victoria Ultimate Mod Rebooted', it has a 1946 start scenario.
Any here ever try it? Is it any good?

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 3, 2014

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

Croatia was still technically a march with mandatory military service for the Austrian Empire until 1848. There were tons of Irish at every level in the British military. Cossacks were practically a military caste in the Russian Empire. The French army had vast, vast numbers of West African soldiers in World War I. I don't think these are edge cases, they're a fundamental aspect of how the period worked in multinational empires.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
It depends on the nation we're talking about how much sense it would make; on the one hand, things like Russia recruiting Polish soldiers, even if Russia has a citizenship policy that makes Poles second class citizens did totally happen in great enough numbers that it really can't be excluded, but on the other hand, the CSA recruiting African-Americans as soldiers shouldn't be possible outside of a decision to maybe create a couple of units. Granted it already can't really happen because the number of free African-Americans in the south tends to be so low there aren't even 1000 free African-American to make soldiers anyway, but you can theoretically have an independent CSA with legal slavery and African-American soldiers if you win the war and wait long enough.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
A simple solution could be to make it so militancy among non-accepted soldier pops (or possibly their culture in general?) increases dramatically the greater proportion of your total forces they represent? Maybe even just generally, so if there are more non-accepted culture regiments than regiments of your accepted cultures, they all start to gain militancy, even if they individually can't match your accepted culture regiments.

Not sure exactly where the balance should be, but I think it makes a certain kind of sense.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

DrProsek posted:

It depends on the nation we're talking about how much sense it would make; on the one hand, things like Russia recruiting Polish soldiers, even if Russia has a citizenship policy that makes Poles second class citizens did totally happen in great enough numbers that it really can't be excluded, but on the other hand, the CSA recruiting African-Americans as soldiers shouldn't be possible outside of a decision to maybe create a couple of units. Granted it already can't really happen because the number of free African-Americans in the south tends to be so low there aren't even 1000 free African-American to make soldiers anyway, but you can theoretically have an independent CSA with legal slavery and African-American soldiers if you win the war and wait long enough.

Since I'm still pretty new to V2, how would you do this? It seems like you generally control your soldier selection at the province level, so unless you segregate out our provinces pretty meticulously that's going to be tough when the vast majority of your African Americans are, presumably, slaves working in the same province as their owners?

I guess to me it seems like such a difficult to master mechanic at this point that I'm not sure it's worth the effort to model even more around.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The real pros leave their defense to the non-accepted peoples within their borders, so as to inexorably shift the demographic balance of your territories in your favor with each war you fight.
A valid point.

It does depend on the value they bring though; I'd be more hesitant to genocide conscript colonies with valuable RGOs (tropical wood, etc.) or states with industry filled with non-accepted culture just on the principle of it taking time to recover.

DStecks posted:

There are a couple, but they're fairly minor.

Doesn't seem like it'd be difficult to marginalize such a strategy with a minor tweak or two.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Drone posted:

NNM (and PDM, but you shouldn't play with PDM) makes the game for South America even better...

Any particular reason why you'd recommend NNM over PDM?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

unicr0n posted:

As I recall, PDM makes a lot of weird changes to the game, based largely on how the modders believe the game should work and not how it actually functions. They might(?) have fixed some of the issues later, but still, willfully ignoring how the game is actually programmed in favor of how you think it should be is probably not the best approach to modding.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

A Buttery Pastry posted:

As I recall, PDM makes a lot of weird changes to the game, based largely on how the modders believe the game should work and not how it actually functions. They might(?) have fixed some of the issues later, but still, willfully ignoring how the game is actually programmed in favor of how you think it should be is probably not the best approach to modding.

That, and PDM makes the game run incredibly slowly come around 1870.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

unicr0n posted:

Like people have said NNM is PDM with the crap sliced out.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rumda posted:

Like people have said NNM is PDM with the crap sliced out.

Still not enough though. Cant I just have more nations and events without the changing national values thing?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I dislike a lot of NNM's nation name changing, tbh.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Since I'm still pretty new to V2, how would you do this? It seems like you generally control your soldier selection at the province level, so unless you segregate out our provinces pretty meticulously that's going to be tough when the vast majority of your African Americans are, presumably, slaves working in the same province as their owners?

I guess to me it seems like such a difficult to master mechanic at this point that I'm not sure it's worth the effort to model even more around.

Basically, like you'd imagine, African American soldiers are really hard to make in a CSA with slavery. The only way you can really do it is to have a lot of free African-Americans already in the south, plop down a Promote Soldiers NF, set military spending to max, and just hope a bunch of African Americans really want to enlist in the CSA's army. And the only ways I can think to do that without banning slavery is:

1) Before the war, close all factories in the north and open up new ones in the south. Free African-Americans (and Yankees) will have to move south for work, once you get like 50,000 free African Americans in Virginia or something, it shouldn't be too hard to get 1,000 African Americans together to form a regiment once you place down a Promote Soldiers NF

2) Win the war as the CSA and just wait a long rear end time. Like, by the 1920s the natural rate of slaves promoting from slaves might give you enough free African American pops in Georgia to make 3000 dudes.

As you can imagine, neither solution will lead to too many African American regiments for the CSA so you can't enter wacky scenarios of an entirely African American army defending the CSA from Yankee forces, but if you do option 1 you might be able to get a good 15,000 man stack of African American soldiers fighting for the CSA in the Civil War.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Agean90 posted:

Still not enough though. Cant I just have more nations and events without the changing national values thing?

Patter Song posted:

I dislike a lot of NNM's nation name changing, tbh.

Sounds like I should still with Vanilla then.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Is there any particular mod for V2 that fixes the problem of the entire world running out of cement circa 1900 or so?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Blarghalt posted:

Is there any particular mod for V2 that fixes the problem of the entire world running out of cement circa 1900 or so?

You can run out of resources? Was that even a concern (from a global perspective) in that period?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

You can run out of resources? Was that even a concern (from a global perspective) in that period?

Not so much run out, but by 1900 what always happens to me is that nobody is producing enough cement, so production of new factories and the like grinds to a halt.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Blarghalt posted:

Not so much run out, but by 1900 what always happens to me is that nobody is producing enough cement, so production of new factories and the like grinds to a halt.

Sounds like a market opportunity to me

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Blarghalt posted:

Is there a way to tell if it' just that concrete's demand is continually increasing and the factories can't keep up, or does production drop off as capitalists try to replace the low margin concrete factories with higher end goods (I have no idea if the AI is that smart)?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Is there a way to tell if it' just that concrete's demand is continually increasing and the factories can't keep up, or does production drop off as capitalists try to replace the low margin concrete factories with higher end goods (I have no idea if the AI is that smart)?

Britain/France/Germany loses a major war and collapses into permanent revolutions and effectively stops producing anything. This has a catastrophic effect on the world market as whatever good(s) they produced the majority of simply stops existing.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

uPen posted:

Britain/France/Germany loses a major war and collapses into permanent revolutions and effectively stops producing anything. This has a catastrophic effect on the world market as whatever good(s) they produced the majority of simply stops existing.

Oh well, that too :)

(sorry he said 1900 so I assumed it was before WWI)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Sorry for the double-post, but I think I figured out the Sweden/Finland crisis issue I brought up a page ago or so.

Looking at the province info, I see that Viipuri (#339, the border province to Russia in the state of southern Finland) only has cores of Finland and Russia, and not Sweden. I suspect missing the Sweden core could be causing the problem with calling a crisis in southern Finland. I'll play around and test when I have a chance.

edit- also none of then have a core of Scandinavia, which seems wrong.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 4, 2014

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i usually play with the gsg mod, but i think cultural union cores dont show up until you form the union

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

When you form Scandinavia as Sweden you'll keep your old cores on top of the new ones you get.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drink Cheerwine posted:

i usually play with the gsg mod, but i think cultural union cores dont show up until you form the union

They show up as claims or whatever (yellow stripes instead of green ones).

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Blarghalt posted:

Build a cement factory and become rich?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Can anyone link or write up a quick event I can fire to remove USA cores from the CSA? It someone won the Civil war in 1861 in this game and I want to give it a chance.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

nothing to seehere posted:

Can anyone link or write up a quick event I can fire to remove USA cores from the CSA? It someone won the Civil war in 1861 in this game and I want to give it a chance.

I don't have my PC with V2 on it in front of me right now, but you should be able to look through the USA events. There should be an event already that the AI is presented with in the event of a CSA victory (or, more often, white peace) in the Civil War: one choice calls for the country to be reunited and keeps the USA cores on the South, while the other allows the US to decide to revoke its own cores on the South and accept a divided nation. There should be a way to alter the event so that the AI will pursue the latter option 90% of the time or what have you.

I'm on my way home from work now and can check in a little while for a more exact how-to.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So I know that theoretically you can play a single game that spans CK2 -> EU4 -> V2 -> HOI3, but is there a game to fill the gap between 1821 (EU4) and 1836 (V2), or a game to continue after 1948 (HOI3)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
code:
country_event = {
	id = 19999
	title = "Independence"
	desc = "Down south in Dixie"

trigger = {
		tag = CSA
		war = no