Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Troy Queef posted:

Rios just got a final warning for hitting after the ref called to break, so it seems a make-up call might be in the offing.

And there we go, although maybe that was legit.

I mean it's a hard fight to ref but if he keeps this up he's going to have to DQ someone.

e: and yeah not legit at all.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I mean it's a hard fight to ref but if he keeps this up he's going to have to DQ someone.

Yeah that's what it sounds like.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

If Chaves keeps jab-straight-turn going all night, Rios will look outclassed.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
This fight is frustrating is a very consumable way.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Ninja PD posted:

This fight is frustrating is a very consumable way.

Agreed, it's a sloppy fight between two salty guys but there's several moments of quality that make up for it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Man I'm not a huge Rios fan but I don't want him to go away anytime soon. It seems like if you put him in the ring with anyone who's game you end up with an awesome fight (as long as they don't totally outclass him like Manny did).

Jesus christ with the points.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

"HE HIT MY FUCKIN' EYE!"--Brandon Rios, as this fight gets even crazier

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

DDT! Holy gently caress.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Chavez demonstrating an excellent DDT

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
gently caress that.

Rematch with a different ref please.

e: Yeah the DDT probably should have ended it if anything I guess. Either way wanted to see the end of things.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Holy gently caress.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
lol, someone gif that "Who, me?" shrug from Chavez

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Boxxxxxxxiiiiiiiiiiiiing

:argh:

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
I will remember this fight forever.

The Pugilist posted:

Rematch with Steve Smoger as the ref please.

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 3, 2014

The Pugilist
Jan 10, 2006

Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
Rematch with Steve Smoger as the ref please.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

So he clears it for a DDT but a standard hold with both guys acting on opposite spectrums ends it? :psypop:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
What a shame

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Rios claims in the interview that Chaves kept jabbing a thumb in his (Rios') eye, I'll have to check the replay to prove it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

balancedbias posted:

So he clears it for a DDT but a standard hold with both guys acting on opposite spectrums ends it? :psypop:

Not to mention all of the fouls earlier which seemed to be randomly called.

I mean there was plenty of poo poo going on but you can't just call accumulation of poo poo fouls. Like they were both butting and punching in clinches on the break constantly but none of the points were taken from that.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Chaves could be a really charismatic heel.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

And gently caress, Chaves was winning on two cards and Rios on one, all 75-74.

What could have been but for a stupid ref.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Is the Kovalev fight over?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--yeah was over pretty quick, watch the replay if you can find it.

Only boxing could take something as awesome as that was turning out to be and leave me feeling this frustrated.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
At this point I would rather see Laurence Cole as a ref than Drakulich. What a loving joke.

Also this me right now.

https://vine.co/v/M9mvTm93OvK

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Kessler is making noises on twitter and in interviews about dropping down to middleweight and potentially opening up a fight against Golovkin.

I'm not entirely convinced that fighting GGG would be a good idea for his health, but presumably a pretty good idea for his bank account.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

MrBling posted:

Kessler is making noises on twitter and in interviews about dropping down to middleweight and potentially opening up a fight against Golovkin.

I'm not entirely convinced that fighting GGG would be a good idea for his health, but presumably a pretty good idea for his bank account.

I'd be down for that.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Just saw that Rod Salka is +1400 against Danny Garcia. Even though Danny is likely to get a decision no matter how poo poo he fights, it might be worth :10bux: in light of his performance against Herrera.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Gregor Samsa posted:

Just saw that Rod Salka is +1400 against Danny Garcia. Even though Danny is likely to get a decision no matter how poo poo he fights, it might be worth :10bux: in light of his performance against Herrera.

Garcia has a tendency to fight down to his level of competition which is why he looked so different against say Zab Judah than against Matthyse but honestly Salka is such an absurd step back in competition that 14-1 doesn't even seem like a good bet. I mean we're talking Tyson - Douglas levels of an upset if Salka were to pull it off.

Edit: Also there's some pretty clear evidence that Diego Chaves was indeed thumbing Brandon Rios' eye which unfortunately exonerates Vic Drakulich.
That being said if they were to rematch on (for example) Pacquiao - Algeri under card the back and forth could be epic.

http://bloguin.com/queensberryrules/2014-articles/rios-vs-chaves-results-brandon-rios-wins-by-controversial-disqualification.html

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 5, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Per boxing scene Canelo is eyeing a December return against James Kirkland in San Antonio or LA. To me this is more dangerous than Lara since while Lara could/did make Canelo look bad at times there wasn't the potential that he could be stone put out as there is with Kirkland especially since an 8 figure mega fight with Cotto is there even without another fight in between. Man continues to earn my respect.

http://www.boxingscene.com/team-canelo-eye-james-kirkland-clash-december--80787

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

He's clearing out the division in preparation for his move up, I think. If Canelo takes out Kirkland he'll have silenced everyone in the division apart from Mayweather and perhaps Lara, both rematches that people aren't really clamoring for in any case. Then he can move up to middleweight with a lot of credibility as Cotto's challenger. There's nobody else at 154 aside from Carlos Molina who make for an even more ugly PPV fight than Lara did.

BLH reporting that Cotto has MSG already booked for December so this could be a case of him taking a stay-busy fight that builds a big money fight between him and Alvarez in June. Cotto's got a ton of options for fights worth huge money with Mayweather, Pacquiao, Alvarez or even GGG next year so realistically he probably will want to take a tune-up somewhere around the middleweight limit while the networks and promoters explore options in the meantime.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Danny Jacobs would gently caress Peter Quillin's world up, and I hope that fight actually happens soon.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Danny Garcia,

Way to show that you're ready to be a pound for pound guy by sparking a not 25 guy two weight classes below you.

Love,

The SituAsian

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

Danny Garcia,

Way to show that you're ready to be a pound for pound guy by sparking a not 25 guy two weight classes below you.

Love,

The SituAsian

I can't wait to see him go up to 147 and get his poo poo ruined.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
It was clear that Danny Garcia and his dad are punks from the first Erik Morales weigh-in. I just remember his crew talking lots of poo poo and being disrepectful in general. I'll give him some credit for beating Matthyse, but other than that gently caress 'em.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Slaine posted:

It was clear that Danny Garcia and his dad are punks from the first Erik Morales weigh-in. I just remember his crew talking lots of poo poo and being disrepectful in general. I'll give him some credit for beating Matthyse, but other than that gently caress 'em.

That's where I'm at. He may be one of my most disliked fighters in the game right now (almost reaching Adrien Broner heights. Almost)

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Garcia wrecking Khan was also pretty cool....

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

ForbiddenWonder posted:

Garcia wrecking Khan was also pretty cool....

I dunno, I thought a juiced Peterson beating him was funnier.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

ozymandius1024 posted:

I dunno, I thought a juiced Peterson beating him was funnier.

Garcia will move up and Lamont Peterson will defeat-oh let's say-Karim Mayfield for the vacant belts and will become the lineal junior welterweight champion.

Speaking of champions getting uncrowned Dan Goosen may be soon stripped of his title as pound for pound promotional contract arbitration champion

Some thing called boxingobserver posted:

Exclusive: We can reveal that undefeated current super-middleweight king Andre Ward has sensationally agreed to face Danish boxing star Mikkel Kessler over in Denmark. Reports in Denmark indicate that both camps have agreed terms for the unexpected sequel and the fight will be announced within the next 24 hours.

http://www.theboxingobserver.com/2014/08/andre-ward-agrees-to-face-mikkel-kessler-in-denmark-hbo-and-danish-ppb-to-air-rematch/

Could be interesting if true only because while they're both still at the top of 168 it's really hard to say where either Ward or Kessler even is these days.

EDIT

The Ninth Layer posted:

Ward wins more widely in my opinion. Kessler had a good showing last year against Froch but I don't think it was enough to suggest he's beating one of the best boxers in the world.

I didn't even watch the Garcia-Salka fight over streams because I knew it would be an embarrassment to the sport. It was a big tip-off to the quality of that fight when even the sanctioning bodies didn't want to call it a title fight.

On the subject of the WBA I managed to catch Sportscenter sometime after the fight and one of the anchors (Robert Flores) was doing some sort of 'Hero the day' thing and chose Danny Jacobs. And why not since we know he's no top tier middleweight still coming back from cancer to achieve in a sport-especially something as grueling as prize fighting is something to be celebrated. Still, it was nice to hear Flores preface his comments with the fact that while Danny Jacobs accomplished something wonderful that "this sanctioning body regularly creates belts to drum up sanctioning fees" and "make no mistake, Gennady Golovkin is the real middleweight belt holder but.." was great to hear from more mainstream sports media which either highlight the negative or more often ignore boxing altogether.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ward wins more widely in my opinion. Kessler had a good showing last year against Froch but I don't think it was enough to suggest he's beating one of the best boxers in the world.

I didn't even watch the Garcia-Salka fight over streams because I knew it would be an embarrassment to the sport. It was a big tip-off to the quality of that fight when even the sanctioning bodies didn't want to call it a title fight.

• Locked thread