Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well if you don't really have any other armor you'll be using, sure, but I mean if you have other armor you're gonna be wearing no one ever makes the choice to boost up a shield instead-and I think the original given point of that change was to make it one of the "meaningful choices" crawl pushes you into making. +1 SH is just not as good as +1 AC, even now that what one SH is was effectively doubled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I think people put too much emphasis on totally eliminating penalties for shields and armour.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Haifisch posted:

Don't mind me, have a touching family reunion instead.

Bonus points if you kill both brothers with a single cleaving attack.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
0.15 beta/feature freeze is up on CSZO and CAO.

Also, Frances got a :krad: new tile:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If I want to be a dirty save scumming whore where do saves go now? It seems they used to be in the Crawl folder but not anymore.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

DANG!

Pleasingfungus that was the most abrupt and hilarious death I've seen in a while. Thanks for the bellylaugh!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Cactus posted:

DANG!

Pleasingfungus that was the most abrupt and hilarious death I've seen in a while. Thanks for the bellylaugh!

What happened?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

3898 PleasingFungus the Jinx (level 10, -13/76 HPs)
Began as a Vampire Arcane Marksman on Aug 3, 2014.
Was a Believer of Okawaru (penitent).
Hit by a large rock thrown by a stone giant (58 damage)
... created by the fury of Okawaru
... on Level 7 of the Dungeon.
The game lasted 00:37:55 (9258 turns).
He teled away from the wrath at first, but then he teled back there after fighting something else.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Brannock posted:

What happened?

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/PleasingFungus/morgue-PleasingFungus-20140803-171905.txt

quote:

Message History

Drink which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You feel better! The jelly misses you!
Evoke which item? (* to show all) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Zapping: F - a wand of frost {zapped: 1}
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - jelly
Aim: a jelly (almost dead)
The puff of frost hits the jelly!
You annihilate the jelly!!!
Okawaru roars: ANNIHILATED!
Your Crossbows skill increases to level 6!!!
You have reached level 10!!!
You start resting!
You repair your equipment!
You start resting!
You start resting!
Your surroundings suddenly seem different!
The stone giant shouts!!! You hear a shout!!!
The stone giant throws a large rock! The large rock hits you!!!!!!!!!
DANG
rip

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Haifisch posted:

Also, Frances got a :krad: new tile:

That's a pretty cool tile for one of the biggest chumps in the game.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Crawl 0.15: He Ain't Heavy, He's My Boggart

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
There gonna be a new tourny?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
nvm, misread 'tile' as 'title'.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
10-rune sprint complete, got all 10 runes:

code:
 Dungeon Sprint DCSS version 0.16-a0-25-g33eb9e9 (webtiles) character file.

43027890 bananaken the Archmage (level 19, 166/166 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Elf Fire Elementalist on Aug 3, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Sif Muna.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 10 runes!

The game lasted 03:53:30 (14784 turns).

bananaken the Archmage (DEFE)                      Turns: 14784, Time: 03:53:30

HP 166/166       AC 21     Str  4 (5)  XL: 19   Next: 91%
MP  50/50        EV 35     Int 34      God: Sif Muna [******]
Gold 2206        SH 20     Dex 22      Spells: 12 memorised,  2 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis .     L - +6 blowgun of Circular Logic {speed, rElec rF+}
rCold  + + +     Clarity  +     B - +2 robe {rC+ rF+}
rNeg   + + +     rCorr    .     z - +4 shield "Moicza Ree" {Slay+5}
rPois  +         rRot     +     R - +2 hat {MR+}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     n - +2 cloak of the Ditch-Digger {Dex+4 Int+2}
SustAb .         Warding  .     M - +0 pair of gloves of Greater Demons {rC+ Dex+3}
rMut   .         NoTele   +     x - +2 pair of boots {run}
Gourm  .                        Z - amulet "Iptawneg" {Clar rF+}
MR     +++..                    I - ring of wizardry
                                Q - ring "Grach" {Int+3 Slay+1 Stlth+}

@: lich-form, studying Throwing, deflect missiles, quick, extremely resistant to
hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: large bone plates 1, blurry vision 1, high mp 1, robust 1
a: End Transformation, Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 10/10 runes: decaying, barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy,
bone, demonic

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Ring of Flames        Chrm/Fire      #######...   1%          7    N/A
b - Fire Storm            Conj/Fire      ########..   3%          9    N/A
c - Spellforged Servitor  Conj/Summ      #######...   1%          7    N/A
d - Lehudib's Crystal Sp  Conj/Erth      ########..   1%          8    N/A
e - Fireball              Conj/Fire      ########..   0%          5    N/A
f - Delayed Fireball      Conj/Fire      N/A          1%          7    N/A
g - Haste                 Chrm           #######.     1%          6    N/A
h - Orb of Destruction    Conj           ########..   1%          7    N/A
i - Necromutation         Trmt/Necr      ########..   12%         8    N/A
j - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       ######....   9%          6    N/A
k - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    N/A
l - Flight                Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          3    N/A
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/bananaken/morgue-bananaken-20140803-234706.txt

Sif Muna's usually pretty generous with spells, so you can get delayed fireball/ring of flames before you even enter the Lair area. Once you get Fire Storm you can just drop tactical nukes on everything (carefully since the map is kinda cramped). I managed to get book gifts containing Necromutation and even Death's Door, but I never had to resort to using DD. Lich form is incredibly useful though, no hunger and torment immunity makes the extended areas a lot easier. :getin:

This seems to be the no.1 score on Akrasiac, maybe people don't play sprint maps often?

EDIT: nvm I'm retarded, fixed it

apple fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 4, 2014

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

apple posted:

This seems to be the no.1 score on Akrasiac, maybe people don't play sprint maps often?
Yeah, Sprint isn't very popular for whatever reason. My guess for why is partially that your userpage doesn't acknowledge sprint games in any way, and partially that it's really easy to cheese certain sprints. (Want to break crawl in half? Do zigsprint with Qazlal!)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, Sprint isn't very popular for whatever reason.
Ideally they're kind of meant to be a "compressed" version of Crawl, in a certain sense, but the big problem is that a lot of them are basically puzzles with very little viable solutions where you die over and over while you figure out, and not only that but they're also LUCK-based puzzles where you got to do things like melee starting enemies as an unsuitable character so you can save your consumables for later enemies because they don't spawn as often as they do in an "actual" game.

I feel the later Sprints are at least much more interesting than the early ones because they're essentially "mini-games using the Crawl engine" like Arena of Blood.

apple
May 18, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, Sprint isn't very popular for whatever reason. My guess for why is partially that your userpage doesn't acknowledge sprint games in any way, and partially that it's really easy to cheese certain sprints. (Want to break crawl in half? Do zigsprint with Qazlal!)

Yeah, zigsprint just seems more of an easy way to try ideas out without straight up using wizard mode. The hardest one for me seems to be Fedhas' Mad Dash, while 10-rune sprint can also be pretty difficult to get all 10 runes.

They're all pretty fun, though not surprisingly standard games have the most replayability.

Davzz posted:

Ideally they're kind of meant to be a "compressed" version of Crawl, in a certain sense, but the big problem is that a lot of them are basically puzzles with very little viable solutions where you die over and over while you figure out, and not only that but they're also LUCK-based puzzles where you got to do things like melee starting enemies as an unsuitable character so you can save your consumables for later enemies because they don't spawn as often as they do in an "actual" game.

I feel the later Sprints are at least much more interesting than the early ones because they're essentially "mini-games using the Crawl engine" like Arena of Blood.

While it's true you're funneled into using specific backgrounds to do certain sprints because they're more optimal, it's fun to find alternate ways of doing them. I thought the Fedhas sprint wasn't viable unless you're doing some kind fire elementalist, but I had an idea with an octopode assassin and it worked like a charm. I have no idea how you'd do all runes in the 10-rune challenge without ring of flames and firestorm though, one of the runes basically scream "you better be a fire elementalist for this part!"

apple fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 4, 2014

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

apple posted:

While it's true you're funneled into using specific backgrounds to do certain sprints because they're more optimal, it's fun to find alternate ways of doing them.

mrpyro on berotato had a very entertaining time (I was spectating) winning a Felid Earth Elementalist in linesprint, going from Sif to Chei as soon as Sif gave away statue form. A kitty with 150HP that jump attacks around and 1shots yaktaurs is pretty funny.

Change
Apr 26, 2007

Davzz posted:

Sprint's not too bad in terms of rng generally. Some combos are hosed (never pick a mummy) but a lot of them get by just fine. I've run linesprint with troll conjurers trying not to melee things except at the very start and got pretty far but got a bit lazy/annoyed at how bad that combo is. I don't really like the ones with all the preset gear/artifacts lined up for you to take at the very start because they feel like wizmode and encourage tabbing over more interesting gameplay. Fedhas and Red Sonja are both set up pretty well and play consistently. Except for the version where they removed pulsating lumps and replaced them with jellies. Loot was lost, I cried, it's fixed now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

themed sprints with a specific gimmick (such as arena of blood like davzz said) are much more likely to draw interest for at least a single play, because i figure that most people will just want to play the base game because what's the point of winning a sprint if most people won't really consider it an actual crawl win

i mean, for those who already have a couple of wins under their belt they might be more enticing, but i wouldn't be surprised if someone without a single one has no idea what the hell a sprint is despite it being an option on the main menu

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've never clicked on the sprint button and I'm not sure I ever will.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I like sprint a lot, though the opening usually seems pretty luck-based depending on your combo. I really like pitsprint as a micro-crawl.

Change
Apr 26, 2007
I'd like sprints more if they had glass/see-through walls/free perma-scrying because most of them are set layout/single paths. Most the time you have to deal with the poo poo in all the rooms anyways and the knowledge mostly just helps first time players.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

apple posted:

While it's true you're funneled into using specific backgrounds to do certain sprints because they're more optimal, it's fun to find alternate ways of doing them. I thought the Fedhas sprint wasn't viable unless you're doing some kind fire elementalist, but I had an idea with an octopode assassin and it worked like a charm. I have no idea how you'd do all runes in the 10-rune challenge without ring of flames and firestorm though, one of the runes basically scream "you better be a fire elementalist for this part!"

I don't get the Fedhas sprint at all, there's just so much praying that Okhlobs miss you, and sometimes they don't, invisibility or no.

apple
May 18, 2003

LogicNinja posted:

I don't get the Fedhas sprint at all, there's just so much praying that Okhlobs miss you, and sometimes they don't, invisibility or no.

It seems as long as you don't get in melee range, they don't retaliate while you're invisible. The first oklob plant is pretty brutal though, so you're better off running past it (though it's hard not to wake it up with non-stealth characters). Unfortunately their behavior while you're invisible means without a strong enough ranged attack you're not taking them out safely unless you stab them while they're asleep, which limits your options.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Hmm, so I kind of wish there was a god that's basically a reverse Vehumet - in other words, gifts you non-Conjuration spells and the associated Miscast protection/casting assistance to go along with it. So I can grab a bunch of utility spells without having to rely on book/shop spawns at the cost of my religious choice.

Out of the three spellcasting gods, Sif Muna... SORT of fits, but since her piety gain is tied to increasing your magic skills really high and she only starts giving books at 6*, you basically kind of only want to worship blasters with her since hybrids only want enough magic skill to reliably cast their buff/utilities, and in that case why aren't you using Vehumet?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if Sif piety gain had something to do with sending them books. Like, mechanically identical to sacing them, but flavored as sending them to Muna. The more you add to Muna's libraries, the more access you get. You'd still probably want a backup piety gain mechanism in learning magic skills to prevent people from getting screwed over by the RNG.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Davzz posted:

Sprint isn't really meant to be any one thing. Some of the maps are preconstructed scenarios which are more puzzle-like, especially the earlier ones. Others are more focused on pure combat (the pit, zigsprint, linesprint). And a couple are straight up minigames. The only things really unifying them are that they have accelerated skill and piety gain, and they focus on a single map. But even that isn't set in stone, necessarily.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

EvilMike posted:

Sprint isn't really meant to be any one thing. Some of the maps are preconstructed scenarios which are more puzzle-like, especially the earlier ones. Others are more focused on pure combat (the pit, zigsprint, linesprint). And a couple are straight up minigames.
Hmm, maybe they could be categorized into those categories? Personally, if I hadn't been encouraged to test out the other sprints by other posters, I would probably just ditch the game mode after dying a bunch of times to the first scenario.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Sprints are really weird but kinda fun.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Anyone else on s-z find that their tiles display doesn't update automatically? I have to hit "pray" or "explore" or "tab" sometimes to have it update to the present and show the current game state.

edit: happens to me on trunk, has actually been happening for a while. (days or weeks)

bisonbison fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 4, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

bisonbison posted:

Anyone else on s-z find that their tiles display doesn't update automatically? I have to hit "pray" or "explore" or "tab" sometimes to have it update to the present and show the current game state.

It wasn't doing that this morning when I was playing and was working fine, though I haven't played in a couple hours.

edit: still working fine, though I am playing trunk, not 0.15, if it matters.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

bisonbison posted:

edit: happens to me on trunk, has actually been happening for a while. (days or weeks)

Here is my guess: problems with your internet service, particularly packet loss or maybe jitter. I'm not certain, but there is a quick and painless way to see if I'm completely wrong. If you go to pingtest.net and run a test, what kind of numbers do you see?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

bisonbison posted:

I've had this happen, but mostly during times when a lot of other people are playing(so more lag) & especially when there's a bunch of specs(which also seem to cause lag).

The solution is to play on berotato, which has no lag at all since 3 people go there. :v:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Zig sprint with Qazlal really is cheating, holy moly.

I guess I only got one mummy floor and one pan lord floor, though.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If you like sprints you might also be into Desktop Dungeons, which takes a similar approach of making a puzzley roguelike.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Brannock posted:

If you like sprints you might also be into Desktop Dungeons, which takes a similar approach of making a puzzley roguelike.

Desktop dungeons is a little too deterministic for me, I like it but it almost feels like I could write a computer program to play it better than I can manually. Sprint feels more like a game than than that, whatever that means. (Also positioning and line of sight and stuff is really big in crawl and certainly is important in sprint as well, and DD has none of that.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 4, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

desktop dungeons is better described as a puzzle game, since anyone getting it expecting a roguelike will be disappointed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
With 0.15 closing in, I'm sort of curious what it'd take for the game to be officially called 1.0. The game has been stable, playable, and fun for years so I'm just sort of curious what the devs are waiting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

With 0.15 closing in, I'm sort of curious what it'd take for the game to be officially called 1.0. The game has been stable, playable, and fun for years so I'm just sort of curious what the devs are waiting for.

ftp://ftp.dungeoncrawl.org/final/1.0.x/bin/

have at it

• Locked thread