Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I've literally stopped making any plans that revolve around getting a job in science in Australia. At this point I'm closer to assuming that I'll try for work in the non-profit sector, hopefully with the Greens.

A politician with a background in science is a great idea. Even better if she/he also has a background in law and social sciences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

As the many excellent lawyers in our parliament demonstrate.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Tirade posted:

BB I imagine the various intelligence agencies have a need for audio forensics but I'd think that it's mostly done in-house, which would require a painfully invasive security clearance. And to be honest dude with your posting history I can't see you getting one.

Well, yore making a lot of assumptions there. The most egregious of then is that our intelligence services are even halfway competent.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Have to go overseas if you're going into academia. At least for a while.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Australian forensics begin and stop at the paper bag test.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Well, yore making a lot of assumptions there. The most egregious of then is that our intelligence services are even halfway competent.

Well yeah, I don't know the process but living in Canberra I've got a few mates who have been vetted. For ASIO/ASIS etc they ask for your entire life history and work on the assumption that everything you tell them is wrong, so they'll try to independently verify everything. They ask for your Internet habits, get you to give them your Facebook / other social media passwords, and so on. That's not even going into the interviews with friends and family, psych testing, and other random hoops they get you to jump through.

I'm not going to try and argue about their competence but I'm sure they're paranoid about not having an Australian Snowden, so they'll be focused on political views that suggest that's a possibility.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gough Suppressant posted:

Some actual living people thought joe jockey was "one of the good ones" before anyone gave him any responsibility or power.
Really? Who are they so I can slap some sense into them with a cricket bat.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm gonna snitch on BB to the fash because I'm sure he has said something mean about me and/or my posting at some point or another.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

You Am I posted:

I had a lunch convo at a relative's birthday over the weekend who hated Morrison and Abbott but felt Hockey "had a good heart".

I made "I just drank sour milk" face and spent 30+ minutes pointing out why Joe is an out of touch hack with no talent for the job and even less compassion.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
I am a hoot at parties.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

You Am I posted:

That was the whole reason they trotted hockey out on the morning shows opposite Rudd and put him on The Project regularly or made him wear a tutu and wave a wand(I think that happened but maybe it's just psychosis) , they thought he presented a human face of the reptilian overlords.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also isn't a cricket bat used to assault the treasurer and his supporters called a hockey stick?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Gough Suppressant posted:

That was the whole reason they trotted hockey out on the morning shows opposite Rudd and put him on The Project regularly or made him wear a tutu and wave a wand(I think that happened but maybe it's just psychosis) , they thought he presented a human face of the reptilian overlords.

Hockey is really the most human face they could fi-

Gah!

Oh god! :cry:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

open24hours posted:

As the many excellent lawyers in our parliament demonstrate.

As TOML's said before, Adam Bandt is a lawyer. Being a lawyer can be an advantage in Parliament, it just helps if you aren't also a lovely person.

Quantum Mechanic fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 4, 2014

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Today I got a foot in the vocational teaching door with a part-time gig in a community house teaching basic IT to older adults. Well, that is, if we can get 6-8 people interested. It's not much but I get to design the teaching and it's likely to be freeform since interested learners will probably dictate what they want, there's no actual structure to lean on. But I'm stoked to be doing something positive anyway and getting experience! And hopefully I can use that to sell myself to other community orgs!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I think it's more that not being a lovely person gives you an advantage, at least in appealing to this thread.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Today I got a foot in the vocational teaching door with a part-time gig in a community house teaching basic IT to older adults. Well, that is, if we can get 6-8 people interested. It's not much but I get to design the teaching and it's likely to be freeform since interested learners will probably dictate what they want, there's no actual structure to lean on. But I'm stoked to be doing something positive anyway and getting experience! And hopefully I can use that to sell myself to other community orgs!

Awesome news!

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

As TOML's said before, Adam Bandt is a lawyer. Being a lawyer can be an advantage in Parliament, it you just can't helps if you're aren't also a lovely person.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

ewe2 posted:

Congrats! I thought about this as a potential career pathway for a while (I learn best when teaching others, have had to coach in corporate environments, accrued most of a Cert IV in Workplace Training & Assessment while doing it), so I'd love to hear what your experience is like. At worst, you're going to get some good resume fodder from it.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
If you are looking at a career in the chemistry/food/biotech/pharma/environmental areas, definitely talk to Chemskill.

They are a top-notch recruitment agency that actually care about the people they are lining up for jobs. Hiring through them is great (though it does cost a bit) and I've had two friends who bounced around for months until I got them to register, and then had job offers fall out of the sky in Tasmania of all places. Well, they had 2-3 offers each in a couple of months for solid spots, but in Tasmania that's pretty drat good.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

BCR posted:

If you've got the cash, pay TAFE for the Cert II Electrical Engineering. Its six months where you learn the stuff, before the apprenticeship. If you're lucky you can do a traineeship. Traineeships are shorter and over as soon as you tick the boxes, apprenticeships are four years mandatory. You might want to look into getting a cabling license and going into security systems. Its quicker and pays about $70,000 a year for 45hr shift work a week. Diesel Mechanics, Electricians and Plumbers are still in demand. You'd have to look into what your state wants and trains. If you're going to get trade skills you're going to want to do it with the government, because they're going to treat you better. Adult apprenticeships are pretty hard to find (over 21) because they've got to pay $750ish rather than $500 ish a week. You're also going to have a lot of personality clashes.

On Cabling Licenses :

Now, my case is special under the old system, because normally you had to present a 500 hour cabling diary before you were awarded your open license. For us that was easy, we had been working on installing and troubleshooting internal cabling in company-owned datacentres for years, and had exceeded that number easily by a factor of 10, we just had to get licenses to working on areas outside of our companies demarc.

We are about to send a guy from our team the the new system where a 5 day course for $800 gets you the application for an open license, which qualifies you to train to install telephone circuits. You then have to work with a registered cabler to complete a certain amount of work experience before an open license is awarded - I don't have that information yet. In theory he goes straight from unregistered to open license with a stat dec from one of our managers who has been reviewing and documenting our work over the years - not quite sure what will be needed, though.

Once you have your open cabling license you now have to get the new competencies (Structured, Optical Fibre, Coax, Testing Structured and Testing Fibre) for about $1000 for a 5 day course (2 days Structured, 2 days Fibre, 1 day coax) under a course aimed at "We know you know what you are doing, so we'll show you everything once, and then test you". I do know some people with limited competencies came through with me, though, and they were planning on being the cable monkey to get the experience needed.

So really for under $2000 and two weeks work you can get the documentation - if you already have the skills and experience. If you don't and an ACMA inspector turns up and finds you have violated separation, or have been issuing dodgy TCA1's, you can lose the whole thing and get major fines.

So don't go into it thinking it's a rubber stamp.

Edit : Of course, it's about to get a lot easier. 10 years ago if we were running 40 mb up 20 floors of a building, we'd install a coax bundle, or pull copper. Now we just drop an 8 core fibre down the building's fibre guide, and if they want a DS3 on coax, we hand it over on a a media converter or a 1RU mux in the customer's premises. Cameras and security systems are all IP-based now, so that's Cat 5/5e/6 rather then stripping and terminating coax, but also increasingly going on fibre just because it's cheaper and easier to pull.

evilbastard fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 4, 2014

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Mattjpwns posted:

I am a hoot at parties.

Glassing him or her may be considered a faux pas.

--

Looks like the media are warming up for a classic curbstomp of the New Matilda.

Can't wait for "Hackergate ~ Matilda plots against our Aussie PM's family with sinister insider breach".

Not a problem when Uncle Rupert does it, of course.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mattjpwns posted:

Congrats! I thought about this as a potential career pathway for a while (I learn best when teaching others, have had to coach in corporate environments, accrued most of a Cert IV in Workplace Training & Assessment while doing it), so I'd love to hear what your experience is like. At worst, you're going to get some good resume fodder from it.

Will do, that's exactly how I see it - an opportunity to learn from learners and buff my selling points. The whole deal behind TAE (I dunno why its TAE and not TAA any more) now is "employability skills", this is also being rammed through in the Adult and Community Education sector too, its already part of their framework and the national modules are being redesigned for them. We're all going to be hearing about transferrable skills till we're sick of it but that's the push behind a lot of adult education now.

edit:

Thanks, too, TOML, it's been a bit of a positive couple of weeks for me and I'm out of a hole I was getting too comfortable in.

re: Hackergate, here's the substantive part of Crikey's report today

quote:

As part of its reporting, The Weekend Australian named two Whitehouse Institute staffers whose emails it had obtained, whom it quotes as conspiring to leak Frances Abbott’s scholarship.

Speaking to Crikey this morning, both New Matilda editor Chris Graham and contributing editor Wendy Bacon declined to confirm whether The Weekend Australian had correctly named their sources. "We can’t say whether or not they outed our sources,” Graham said. “But I can say there’s a stark difference here. We seek to not assist police investigations, and apparently The Australian seeks to assist them.”

Bacon similarly defends New Matilda's reporting, saying it shed light on how the government's public education policies would transfer millions of dollars to the private sector, which would benefit the institution that gave the Prime Minister's daughter a scholarship. She adds that all journalists rely on leaks that come from confidential emails, which are then reported on if they are in the public interest.

She says she was asked questions by The Weekend Australian about her contact with the sources of the story, but declined to answer those, though she did respond to other questions. “Ask any other journalists whether they’d go into their discussions with confidential sources -- of course they wouldn’t," she said.

The Weekend Australian’s report was illustrated with a photo of Bacon and depicts her as a central part of the story. But she says she only had a contributing reporting credit, and that most of the credit for the investigation should go to Graham and New Matilda staffer Max Chalmers. "It was New Matilda’s story -- they pursued it, and they should get the credit for it."

In a response posted on New Matilda this morning, Graham says the claim that 500 students were hacked is false. "How do I know? Well, I’d love to tell you, but at this stage, I have no intention of weighing into a police investigation, nor of providing information which may assist it."

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 4, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

adamantium|wang posted:

quote:

Government told Tamil asylum seekers they would be forced onto lifeboats and dropped in the ocean

3 August 2014

Media Release – for immediate release

Lawyers for the 157 Tamil asylum seekers today revealed that Australian Government officers told the group they would be forced to go to India in three orange lifeboats dropped into the ocean somewhere off the coast of India.

Nine adults were instructed in English how to use the lifeboats and told they had to obey Australian Government orders to go on the boats.

The move happened on around 14 July while the High Court proceeding was on foot and after the group had already been detained on the Oceanic Protector for almost two weeks.

“The Government’s willingness to consider forcing 157 men, women and children as young as one onto lifeboats and dump them out at sea makes a complete mockery of the its claims to care for their wellbeing and for safety at sea,” said Hugh de Kretser, Executive Director of the Human Rights Law Centre.

“The clients we spoke to were terrified at the prospect of being dumped in the ocean on lifeboats but were told they had to obey.

“What ever your personal views are on politics and refugee policy, this move was an affront to human decency.

“We have been told that on around Monday 14 July, 9 adults and 2 children were removed from the rest of the 157 in the group. The 9 adults were taken to a number of orange lifeboats and told that they would be put in them and would need to navigate them to India.

“They were instructed in English how to use the lifeboats. All of them speak Tamil and only 1 or 2 spoke a little English. They were told that each boat would have 50-60 people on it.

“When they refused, saying they had no experience in operating or navigating a boat and couldn’t take responsibility for ensuring the safety of the people on board, the officers told them it was an Australian Government decision and they had to obey.

“The 9 adults and 2 children were then separately detained from rest of the 157 for four or five days. Each day they were extremely fearful of what was going to happen to them. Then they were taken back into the three main rooms and reunited with the rest of the group. The entire group was then terrified that at any moment they would be dumped in the ocean.

“It’s not clear why the Government eventually decided not to proceed with the lifeboat plan but the whole episode reveals the desperate measures they are prepared to use regardless of the human cost.

“Secret detention on the high seas, trying to dump families in lifeboats in the ocean, secret overnight transfers, misleading the public, frustrating access to lawyers and to the courts – such behaviour from the Government is trashing the foundations of Australia’s democracy. Respect for the rule of law, open and transparent democracy and fundamental human rights are some of the things that have made Australia the great country it is, but this Government is seemingly willing to trash them all for a few cheap political points in the opinion polls.

“I was struck that despite everything they had been through, our clients thanked the Australian Government for bringing them to the Australian mainland. Now they’ve been secretly transferred to Nauru and given the reports of the state they arrived in, I’m deeply concerned about their wellbeing.

“These 157 men, women and children have been subjected to a level of cruelty and callousness that has no place in modern Australia,” said Mr de Kretser.

The Human Rights Law Centre has been told that:

* The majority of the group are Christians.
* They raised the Virgin Mary flag on the boat to seek her protection for the voyage.
* They are Sri Lankan Tamils.
* They are fleeing persecution in Sri Lanka.
* Some of the asylum seekers arrived in India less than 6 months ago. (We were only able to speak to 15 of the 107 adults on board.)
* The asylum seekers revealed a precarious existence in India where they were denied basic legal rights including being unable to lawfully work, send their children to school or have freedom of movement. (India is not a party to the Refugee Convention.) Some revealed safety fears in India also. (We were unable to explore these issues properly with the 15 clients we spoke to and were urgently seeking proper legal access to all 157 asylum seekers in order to advise them on the option of speaking to Indian officials in Australia.)
* While detained on the Oceanic Protector between around 29 June and 25 July, the asylum seekers were locked in three separate windowless rooms (the 9 adults and 2 children who were separated for four or five days during the lifeboat incident were held in a fourth room).
* They were only allowed out of the rooms for meals and spent around 22 hours day inside the rooms.
* On a number of days they were locked in the windowless rooms for the entire day because the weather was rough.
* They did not know where they were.
* Families were separated – fathers were placed in separate rooms from women and children. Fathers were only able to see their family 3 or 4 times during the on-water detention.

Further points

* The asylum seekers were not permitted to have a change of clothing until we intervened on their behalf after speaking to them for the first time on 11 and 12 July, when they had already been detained for around 11 days.
* Despite Minister Morrison conducting a press conference early on Friday afternoon 25 July confirming they would be brought to Australia, the 157 asylum seekers were not informed of that news until we spoke to them late that afternoon..
* In Curtin Detention Centre, the asylum seekers asked for phone and internet access in particular to let relatives know they were safe. They were told they would have phone access on Saturday 2 August. They were transferred out of the detention centre on the night of 1 August

The Human Rights Law Centre has been working with Shine Lawyers and a team of barristers led by Ron Merkel QC to assist the asylum seekers. We obtained client approval to release this information on Friday 1 August.

The Press Conference Scheduled for 11am on Monday 4 August will proceed: HRLC office Level 17, 461 Bourke St, Melbourne.

More information: Hugh de Kretser 0403 965 340 or Tom Clarke on 0422 545 763 or tom.clarke@hrlc.org.au

This loving government

I think I understand why there was so little reaction to this. After all, I could hardly come up with words to express my utter disgust at the callous, cynical and inhumane actions of the Australian government with regards to the treatment of refugees. I find my reactions to the brutality of the Australian government dull and numbed. I hope there are people in Australia that can still feel true anger at these injustices, all I can feel anymore is tiredness and futility. :sigh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This loving government

I think I understand why there was so little reaction to this. After all, I could hardly come up with words to express my utter disgust at the callous, cynical and inhumane actions of the Australian government with regards to the treatment of refugees. I find my reactions to the brutality of the Australian government dull and numbed. I hope there are people in Australia that can still feel true anger at these injustices, all I can feel anymore is tiredness and futility. :sigh:
[/quote]

It's like the Howard years again. You can only rage so much.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Maintain your rage.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There's little reaction to it because a significant percentage of the population is okay with it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's little reaction to it because a significant percentage of the population is okay with it.

I was talking about the thread reaction. I already knew the public's general reaction ranges from total apathy to an enthusiastic thumbs-up for murdering asylum seekers. :smith:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Oh hey, a Bolt Report video was shared on my wall unironically. Oh hey it's about Hamas being the real enemy and asylum seekers using their children self harming to get into are country.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I was talking about the thread reaction. I already knew the public's general reaction ranges from total apathy to an enthusiastic thumbs-up for murdering asylum seekers. :smith:

Oh, right.

Personally I kinda skim over a bunch of asylum seeker stuff, for more or less the reasons you outlined. It's appalling, I'm appalled, and nothing will change soon.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Anidav posted:

Oh hey, a Bolt Report video was shared on my wall unironically. Oh hey it's about Hamas being the real enemy and asylum seekers using their children self harming to get into are country.

Yep, when you start thinking the Bolt Report is "a worthwhile watch" you really need to reassess your life.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont understand how Bolt sits there during his show, saying the things he says, without cracking up into laughter at how loving ridiculous his opinions are.

It even looks like he is smirking about it at times, right on the cusp of blowing the whole thing, but then he remains serious.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ewe2 posted:

I do something very similar and it really is ultra rewarding work. Particular when you teach someone how to use Facebook/Skype for the first time and they get really excited being able to talk to friends and family in other cites/overseas. The biggest thing with teaching older adults IT is just getting them over the fear of computers. Kids just jump on and mess around to they learn it usually. Adults, particularly older adults like to get step by step instructions, and will often follow those instructions with out knowing why their doing what their doing, so the information poorly retained. Teaching them something they will use everyday (like facebook) is good as it gets them using the computer more often and makes them far more comfortable with it. Also it can be helpful with social isolation that can be a pretty serious issue with the elderly.

Anyway congratulations, this sort of stuff really can make a difference. Oh and if your looking to get people involved maybe try approaching already existing workshop at the community house (cooking/knitting/art etc) and talk to groups of people there. People are more likely to go to this sort of thing if their friends are going as well, and it keeps them coming back if its a bit of a social catch up as well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh, I'm still thinking about the asylum seekers in lifeboats. What the gently caress. I dont see how that could possibly be a desireable situation for anyone. 150 refugees that have been missing for weeks landing on Indian shores in Australian lifeboats. What.

The Flying Monk
Aug 2, 2013
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/07/31/young-looking-refugees-sent-offshore

quote:

Young-looking children were chosen to be transferred to the harsh Manus Island refugee detention centre to discourage other refugees from coming to Australia, an inquiry has heard.

And children detained in facilities on Nauru are suffering illnesses and mental conditions caused by unsanitary and inhospitable conditions on the island nation while all refugees are subjected to a broad "intention to dehumanise".

Former officials, charity workers and doctors who worked in the immigration system have given at times distressing evidence to an Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) inquiry into the fate of children caught in Australia's detention centres.

Gregory Lake, the former director of offshore processing and transfers at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, told the inquiry he was directed by a ministerial staff member to choose the youngest-looking children from among those eligible for the first transfer of detained people from Australia to Manus Island in 2012, when Labor was in government.

Just a reminder that we've always been awful at this. Just in case you wanted a break from all of the recent awful poo poo we've been up too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

New D&D subtitle applies here too.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
You know who else intended to dehumanise a marginalised group who had done nothing wrong.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh oh, Howard right?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Heil Howard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip