Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

pfs Write posted:

my dad bought me goldeneye for my birthday. he actually liked games, and at least a week before my birthday i went downstairs and saw that he had goldenye in the slot but wave race was sitting in front of it to try to hide it.

yeah dad ill never notice.

This story would be funnier if he had bought goldeneye strictly for himself and waverace was your present.... "You ALMOST had it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

smokyprogg posted:

my dad was convinced charizard was actually called charlizard

That...actually makes sense. Hmm..

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

TheMostFrench posted:

That...actually makes sense. Hmm..

yeah except japanese tongue so

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
My mom is in her 60s & will come over for a visit & bring her PS3 & Tekken. My mom loving loves her some Tekken but she's cheap as poo poo & has no combo game.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Trixie Hardcore posted:

My mom is in her 60s & will come over for a visit & bring her PS3 & Tekken. My mom loving loves her some Tekken but she's cheap as poo poo & has no combo game.

lol i could beat your loser mom at tekken any day, bring it

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
She's always picking Eddy, Law or Yoshimitsu. It's loving cheap.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I always pick the panda and just bellyflop all over

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

Wrageowrapper posted:

My mum was never interested in video games and had never played a single one until she and dad got a ps3 for something to do. She got Gran Turismo 5, then she got a racing wheel and now she has unlocked everything from that version and the sequel. So from hater to absolute nerd in well under a year.

i'm having trouble imagining what this mom would look like

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Quickscope420dad posted:

I always pick the panda and just bellyflop all over
Xiaoyu forever imo

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

pfs Write posted:

i'm having trouble imagining what this mom would look like

http://imgur.com/dqnHEws

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Xiaoyu forever imo

In the old games i also liked those obscure unlockable characters like the velociraptor and the angel thing? those were cool

They stopped putting them in the games i think?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I lent my mom my Gameboy & she kept it for 3 years & when she returned it she had bought a bunch of games for it & I was like lol no it's okay mom you can keep your Gameboy & that made her really happy.

Quickscope420dad posted:

In the old games i also liked those obscure unlockable characters like the velociraptor and the angel thing? those were cool

I think they're in the Tekken Tag games but I don't know, I'm more of a Soul Calibur woman myself.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

My mom got really into Farmville for a while. She never spent a dime, but she did everything she could to get the farm of her dreams or whatever. Then she realized that she was wasting her time and now she doesn't even use her computer.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainAssholay posted:

you're gonna feel like an rear end in a top hat when he's dead. you should have stopped playing halo and spent more time with your family

Ha, I was about to say something like that. I am more of a gamer than my 8yo will ever be, but I enjoy saying names of his fave XBox games incorrectly, because it makes him laugh. I will continue to do so when he is a teen and annoyed by it. And someday when I am gone he will realize his Dad actually paid a lot of attention to him and made an effort to make him laugh, and he will miss me.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Verisimilidude posted:

My mom got really into Farmville for a while. She never spent a dime, but she did everything she could to get the farm of her dreams or whatever. Then she realized that she was wasting her time and now she doesn't even use her computer.

haha classic mom

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
My mom occasionally plays games but she always picks pretty odd ones. Like I remember when I was younger she got phantasmagoria and played through it. Recently she was playing through amnesia the dark descent and I'm like that game is too scary for me.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

ArbitraryC posted:

My mom occasionally plays games but she always picks pretty odd ones. Like I remember when I was younger she got phantasmagoria and played through it. Recently she was playing through amnesia the dark descent and I'm like that game is too scary for me.

Your mom sounds pretty cool, those games are kinda hosed up.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

ArbitraryC posted:

you need to find a way for her to play http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvester_(video_game)

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
My Mom used to play Mario Golf at night and would yell and cheer whenever she got an eagle, usually waking up my Dad. Pretty funny.

Now she mostly plays "Cradle of Rome" which is some puzzle game where you have to line up shrimp with gems and cuts of meat or something.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

hm not quite what i was thinking tbh

that is close to what i picture as quickscope420dad though

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

cat doter posted:

My grandmother plays video games but my mother doesn't

I guess it skips a generation

Same, my grandmother was addicted to missle command back in the day. Grandma could probably wreck at dota.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

My dad got into the Souls series before it was a thing because he's always been a fan of From Software since the first King's Field on the PS1.

He's the one that got me into video games and got me into the habit of picking up little known games that might be cool.

All you dudes who have computer illiterate parents are strange to me.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

pfs Write posted:

hm not quite what i was thinking tbh

that is close to what i picture as quickscope420dad though

That's the image I want to project into people's minds about me so no goons get attracted to me cause that would be awful

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Quickscope420dad posted:

That's the image I want to project into people's minds about me so no goons get attracted to me cause that would be awful

Too late, I wanna take a ride on your disco stick.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
more like crisco stick

just found out the bad romance lyrics are vertigo shtick not vertical stick. different song than you are referencing but w/e

pfs Write fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 4, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quickscope420dad posted:

Tekken Tag 2 has all 69 characters from the previous games.

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax
poo poo in your parents mouths while they sleep.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

The Mad Archivist posted:

your child is safe

my folks once visited Iceland and sent me a photo of Baldursgata street in Reykjavik :shobon:

wow what retards it's baldur's GATE not baldur's street lmao

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

ReptileChillock posted:

Is this the first dreamcast game to be mentioned itt?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

my mom still calls any videogame console "the nintendo"

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

pfs Write posted:

just found out the bad romance lyrics are vertigo shtick not vertical stick. different song than you are referencing but w/e
It works both ways though. We should do a thread devoted to having sex with Lady Gaga. Wait, what's th-

ReptileChillock posted:

Is this an Oculus Rift joke?

Quickscope420dad posted:

Is this the first dreamcast game to be mentioned itt?
actual lol irl even though Dreamcast 4lyfe

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

back in the day when I played wow we had this one woman from new zealand who got caught a couple of times cybering with teenagers in the guild, anyway she'd often make her kids play for her if she had to go out for smokes or something mid-raid and it was ok because they were better than she was and they didnt have the shrill harpy voice, if anything they were really quiet and seemed pretty nonplussed about the arrangement if they had to speak up

I guess raiding and farming herbs or whatever just counted as chores in that household

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

everyday since its release my dad starts up command and conquer 3 and plays the same map against the same easy bots as the gdi. he turtles, builds a huge army and 5 of every superweapon and then destroys the bots. i played with him once and beat him in 5 minutes by rushing him with infantry

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I guess raiding and farming herbs or whatever just counted as chores in that household

I know a guy that when his son needed to be punished he made him farm wood in UO.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sekkira posted:

My dad got into the Souls series before it was a thing because he's always been a fan of From Software since the first King's Field on the PS1.

He's the one that got me into video games and got me into the habit of picking up little known games that might be cool.

All you dudes who have computer illiterate parents are strange to me.

hows does he feel about them going from obscure as poo poo to AAA in a single generation

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Your mom sounds pretty cool, those games are kinda hosed up.
Pretty cool mom. I remember my brother and I watched most of the phantasmagoria playthrough and helped solve the puzzles. Fun for whole family.

My dad also liked dark games. Back when Sega CD has come up they released a couple titles like night trap and mortal kombat that the media went bonkers over as being too obscene and he would like rush out and buy them immediately.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My parents never played but my aunts and uncles (50-something-year-olds) got way into the video game craze of the 80s.
My uncle got me into Dragon warrior, and final fantasy. I once saw him beat SMB without dying. He passed away on Saturday, and those are probably my fondest memories with him.

My aunt was more into like zelda and ultima and stuff, and my other uncle and I played the poo poo out of all the early 1980s text adventures. It motivated me to learn to read.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

My mom spent some money on FarmVille 2 but didn't actually get the thing she paid for. First and last micro transaction.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

Pretty cool mom. I remember my brother and I watched most of the phantasmagoria playthrough and helped solve the puzzles. Fun for whole family.

My dad also liked dark games. Back when Sega CD has come up they released a couple titles like night trap and mortal kombat that the media went bonkers over as being too obscene and he would like rush out and buy them immediately.

your dad is probably a serial killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

That's some scrub tier poo poo there, you must suck at Tekken if you can't handle that button masher poo poo.

GORDON posted:

I know a guy that when his son needed to be punished he made him farm wood in UO.

Worse than a time-out, I guess.

• Locked thread