Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Could you give me an example of the type of horror film you're thinking of? I'm struggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

So I'm about to ask like the exact opposite question.

On Thursday I take the MCAT and after months of studying I'd like to loving unwind. I'm gonna catch up on movies I haven't seen this year like Godzilla and Under the Skin but I want some movies I can just put on and get high and enjoy. I also haven't watched a horror movie since The Conjuring.

I'm trying to ride a good vibes wave so what I'm looking for are some horror movies that aren't going to bum me out. I know that sounds contradictory but I know they exist. Just looking for some stuff where someone gets out alive and good triumphs over evil in some way. Even if it's just "final girl kills the bad dude." Maybe it's half that I'm burned out on the endings of found footage and maybe it's half that I'm not trying to be a cynical gently caress for once in my life.

Heli, if you can get a hold of a copy.

edit: I should've read your thing more closely. Heli is an incredibly brutal, sad, distressing movie, but it ends on a very hopeful note.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oliver Reed posted:

Could you give me an example of the type of horror film you're thinking of? I'm struggling.

Insidious, Conjuring, Friday the 13ths, Pathology, Aliens.

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

weekly font posted:

Rewatching the Insidii is an awesome idea. Buuuut if I remember The Orphanage correctly that ends on a huge bummer.

Kinda, it's really only happy by horror movie standards but it's not an out-and-out everyone dies scenario. Which reminds me, Mama is another one with a sort-of happy ending, but again by horror standards.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It Just Got Worse posted:

Kinda, it's really only happy by horror movie standards but it's not an out-and-out everyone dies scenario. Which reminds me, Mama is another one with a sort-of happy ending, but again by horror standards.

Yeah that works. I'll take something on par with the ending of Mama or The Ring. I guess just some movies without torture, where a good guy "wins" and it doesn't shove grimdarkshit in your face.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

weekly font posted:

Insidious, Conjuring, Friday the 13ths, Pathology, Aliens.

Ah okay, yeah, Friday the 13th sequels were sorta what I had in mind. I think a lot of '80s slashers might work. The only one that sticks out to me as being particular vicious is The Burning, which I think other people in this thread have agreed with in the past. But stuff like Prom Night and Happy Birthday to Me might be fine (it's been a while).

Also, if horror/comedy is okay, you can't go wrong with rewatching Dead Alive.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

I feel you dude. I am working on quitting dip right now and have A Serbian Film, Hostel, August Underground, the Bunny Game and Gruesome lined up for tonights viewing.

Well, at least once you've made yourself so depressed about humanity that you kill yourself, you won't chew tobacco anymore.

Oh, and if you want the full kill-yourself effect, I'd recommend watching August Underground's Mordum rather than the original.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

caiman posted:

Well, at least once you've made yourself so depressed about humanity that you kill yourself, you won't chew tobacco anymore.

Oh, and if you want the full kill-yourself effect, I'd recommend watching August Underground's Mordum rather than the original.

Yeah, seriously.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

weekly font posted:

Yeah that works. I'll take something on par with the ending of Mama or The Ring. I guess just some movies without torture, where a good guy "wins" and it doesn't shove grimdarkshit in your face.

Check out Detention if you haven't already.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think you need some You're Next in your life

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Mimic has a legit happy ending (although a kid dies earlier in the movie). So does Sometimes They Come Back (based on the Stephen King short story).

Of course there's always Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, which is just awesome anyway.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

This is exactly what you're looking for.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

weekly font posted:

On Thursday I take the MCAT and after months of studying I'd like to loving unwind. I'm gonna catch up on movies I haven't seen this year like Godzilla and Under the Skin but I want some movies I can just put on and get high and enjoy. I also haven't watched a horror movie since The Conjuring.

I'm trying to ride a good vibes wave so what I'm looking for are some horror movies that aren't going to bum me out. I know that sounds contradictory but I know they exist. Just looking for some stuff where someone gets out alive and good triumphs over evil in some way. Even if it's just "final girl kills the bad dude." Maybe it's half that I'm burned out on the endings of found footage and maybe it's half that I'm not trying to be a cynical gently caress for once in my life.

The Thai film Dorm (2006) is loving phenomenal and its ending is pretty drat uplifting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kvlt! posted:

I hadn't heard of this before but I need to order it based on the fact that Frankie Muniz dies in it.

Save your money. He survives.

Yes, I ruined the movie for you because nobody should every suffer through that loving flick.

Strontosaurus posted:

Check out Detention if you haven't already.

Everyone needs to watch Detention.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Skywalker OG posted:

Forbidden Planet, Schramm, and lovely found footage horror all on the same page?

I love this thread.

E: I thought The Den was pretty fun. There were some fun little random omegele skits in it and the action was rather brutal.

This forum owns because it talks about shlock like Forbidden Planet without dismissing it out of hand.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

Watch the poo poo out of this if you haven't already, for sure.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Parachute posted:

gently caress, was I the only one in this thread who was bored as hell during that? I admit I'm unreasonably harsh on most modern horror but yeah.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

Kvlt! posted:

I feel you dude. I am working on quitting dip right now and have A Serbian Film, Hostel, August Underground, the Bunny Game and Gruesome lined up for tonights viewing.

A question of etiquette-- at what point in the evening do you serve the barbecue ribs?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Parachute posted:

I have seen it and yeah, that's basically exactly what I want out of chill mode/good vibes horror time.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Oliver Reed posted:

gently caress, was I the only one in this thread who was bored as hell during that? I admit I'm unreasonably harsh on most modern horror but yeah.

I felt that it was so much fun bad I had a blast watching it. I love that the female lead became the star of her own slasher movie about halfway through. Granted, that happens in a lot of other horror movies, but they usually aren't as fun.

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?xLOM-pTpFKs

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oliver Reed posted:

Nah I thought You're Next was pretty lame. There's like 10-15 minutes of cool poo poo in there but I don't get the hype.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I went into it knowing nothing and was pleasantly surprised since for the first 20 minutes I expected The Strangers 2 and saw a really obvious twist coming. And then the movie took its turn and it was enjoyable enough that by time the twist happened I was having so much fun I didn't care.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

weekly font posted:

I have seen it and yeah, that's basically exactly what I want out of chill mode/good vibes horror time.

Have you seen The Sightseers?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Parachute posted:

I've not. Tell me more.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Hollismason posted:

That's a really good one, I haven't seen the original in 20+ years. Just trying to rewatch all the older stuff I watched.

What was the name of that series where it had that monster inside a toilet? I think people remember the cover of the VHS it was like this Goblin and it was inside a toilet?

Something to do with Circuses. I think it was a series.

The funny thing is that the iconic toilet Ghoulie is only in the movie for a couple of seconds during a musical montage.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

weekly font posted:

I've not. Tell me more.

Its directed by Ben Wheatley (Kill List) and it's about this couple who go on a road trip through rural England.

It's definitely funny, violent, and really entertaining. It's not really a straight-up horror movie, but I really enjoyed it, and it's on Netflix instant if you're in the states.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Oliver Reed posted:

Yes

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Parachute posted:

For anyone else who's interested in this, the title is simply Sightseers. (I only say this because I checked Netflix for The Sightseers and it didn't know what I meant and I had to Google it)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I've tried to get into the August Underground stuff but it's loving awful looking, not from like a "that's terrible, how disturbing" but a oh some high school kids with mediocre special effects skills did a movie .that I just usually get bored. I've tried to watch the first one and it was just " This is garbage".

At least the Guinea Pig series and others had the decency to make it look realistic to a degree. Actually Guinea Pig is probably the most realistic gore I've ever seen, for some reason they get just the right perfect amount of blood.

I was also a Paramedic/EMT for a decent while so stupid looking gore like that is like "Meh".Currently Watching the original Hitcher, may follow it up with the remake.

I mean it has to be like a actual disturbing scene like Inside or Martyrs , although Martyrs avulsion or degloving isn't realistic at all. You don't look like that if someones skin off gets peeled off, it's just all red and yellowish white.

Or just really painful looking for me to wince a way. Most of the time I think it just looks dumb.

I've never seen Serbian Film, but have no desire to at all either.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 5, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hollismason posted:

I was also a Paramedic/EMT for a decent while so stupid looking gore like that is like "Meh".Currently Watching the original Hitcher, may follow it up with the remake.

That film owns but according to the thread you shouldn't watch anything else in the series. The original film does it all and better.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hollismason posted:

You don't look like that if you peel someones skin off

Well, if you say so

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well it doesn't , also should phrased that better. ( Also, not a serial killer).

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The thread seems to be 50/50 on You're Next, but I thought it was entertaining.

Do see the Rutger Hauer Hitcher, Detention, and Sightseers as they are legit good movies (your mileage may vary with Detention)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I was the one hyping Detention many moons ago. I've seen all of those already and I've seen Hitcher , just going back and rewatching horror movies I watched as a teen.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hollismason posted:

I've tried to get into the August Underground stuff but it's loving awful looking, not from like a "that's terrible, how disturbing" but a oh some high school kids with mediocre special effects skills did a movie .that I just usually get bored. I've tried to watch the first one and it was just " This is garbage".

The gore effects in August Underground's Mordum are exceptionally convincing. Not quite as realistic as Flowers of Flesh and Blood, but very close, and MUCH more disturbing. If you don't cringe when the guy cuts off his own penis, you've seen too many horror movies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

caiman posted:

The gore effects in August Underground's Mordum are exceptionally convincing. Not quite as realistic as Flowers of Flesh and Blood, but very close, and MUCH more disturbing. If you don't cringe when the guy cuts off his own penis, you've seen too many horror movies.

Would you say that is your favorite castration scene?

I only ever watched the first one, after that avoided them like the plague. Just no real interest in watching them. They always came across as someone watched Henry and were like "Yeah, that house scene with VHS camera was awesome, let's just do that"

Weirdly while reading the Wikipedia for August Underground it led me to the wiki for Angels Melancholy or Melancholie der Engel, anyone seen it supposedly German Hardcore Horror film ro whatever.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 5, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I was gonna say, Mordum has got some impressive effects, especially since they cut minimally and shoot in harsh, flat lighting. Whether that makes for a good movie is another story.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I just finished Inside

Holy gently caress.

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012

weekly font posted:

Take PCP, watch Halloween II (1981). Then you must find an elderly couple, and stab them 43 times. Did the trick for me last time I needed to unwind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hollismason posted:

I only ever watched the first one, after that avoided them like the plague. Just no real interest in watching them. They always came across as someone watched Henry and were like "Yeah, that house scene with VHS camera was awesome, let's just do that"

Yeah that's pretty much what they are. They're bad movies, but not because of the effects.