Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I was thinking more like whacky names for things like the Battleship "She's One of Ours!" or the Gravitas Squadron, the most polite and chivalrous pilots in the sky.

We should name our kamikazes White Knights. Ready to fall on their own swords at a moment's notice!

E: did the Sultanate engage in some imperialism, or is its current territory the result of previous lost wars?

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AJ_Impy posted:

'Dangerous Territory' is our southern desert.

:golfclap: I lol'ed

Pvt.Scott posted:

We should name our kamikazes White Knights. Ready to fall on their own swords at a moment's notice!

We need one called The Booster Squadron. All pilots are secretly midgets using booster seats.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 4, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
As for the target of our belligerence should any of our fellow Great Powers choose to not declare on us, I believe the land in the hands of the Sultanate to our north are destined to be in goon hands.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Gentlemen, I believe the time has come to accomplish the goal that Grey Hunter has sought across many an LP unsuccessfully and sink the royal navy.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Seas and lakes:

(click for larger)

The lake between Kent and Orleans could also be the Lake of the Watery Tart.

Headquarters: Tokyo Bay Naval Fortress

Who to attack: Dependes on the alliances. But Sultinate looks like the best target. Most of their land is across the sea so it should be easy to grab their adjacent lands. They won't probably have any Navy to speak of at the begining, so we should be safe.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 4, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Domain of Orleans lake should be called Katrina.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Agreed.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Hogge Wild posted:

Who to attack: Dependes on the alliances. But Sultinate looks like the best target. Most of their land is across the sea so it should be easy to grab their adjacent lands. They won't probably have any Navy to speak of at the begining, so we should be safe.

It should be made clear that everyone has the same 4 units per city and base tech at the moment, so the only differences between the powers are terrain, tactics and the one special unit. That will change quickly.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I vote we attack the Sultanate first unless someone else attacks us right away.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

1) – We need to name parts of the world – oceans, mountains, other notible features. So I'm not forced to keep saying “the ocean to the west”

Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere :colbert:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Wee should call the body of water by us Kawaii Ocean.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Wee should call the body of water by us Kawaii Ocean.

We need to start the war with a sneak attack on a harbor on the island of Kawaii.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002
'The Clifton Pass' looks more like an isthmus than a pass. Perhaps it should be 'The Clifton Isthmus', or maybe just 'The Clifsthmus'.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

NewMars posted:

... and that the island closest to our territory be called The Haunted Island of Eniwetok.

Edit: furthermore, our most powerful naval or army group at any time must be referred to as the Tokyo Bay Fortress in all official documents.

^--- this right here.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Someone needs to mod this game to replace all the counter art with Advance Wars sprites.

Also I gave up on this game because I didn't have the brain power to come up with my own formations, so it'll be interesting to follow along to get some ideas.

Edit: I just had an idea to copy TOEs from the historical Decisive Campaigns series. I wonder if this would work...

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 4, 2014

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ratoslov posted:

Sir! The holy mountains to the north of Nagazaki are named E'mei and Wudang! It is an outrage that these holy mountains- home to the mightiest of Pacom martial arts manga characters and heroes- are in the hands of the filthy turban-wearing Sultanate! We should strike them down with all the might and honor of our armies and reclaim our holy promised land!

This is all obviously correct and has my support.

The forest with our capitol should be called the "Golden Woods"
or maybe the Explosive Forest. It has fully half our oil wells and nearly half of all production sites.

Question: Are all the resource sites visible at game start? I am wondering if there are additional resource sites unlocked by tech like in Civ. Right now it looks like you have to spend the first turns building up raw resources as much as possible just to avoid running a deficit.

It looks like there is a desert on our border with the Domain of Orleans called the Maginot Dessert with two "s"es because it looks delicious and we want it as soon as the Sultinate is crushed.

Our central mountains have a couple of resources clustered in and around them and so were named "Candy Central".

Preid
May 22, 2014
While I am ashamed at my ineptness when it comes to naming landmasses, I would still like to add my request to the Holy War against the Sultanate who hold our rightful lands.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

There are two important conclaves on the map. I vote we should just call the soviet controlled bit near the Fiefdom "Soviet Guangzou", and the Kent State bits near the Soviets "Kentian Russia", or "Kentian Sovietland".

Also, is the capital of the Sultanate on the Northern Strip, or is it on the Southern island? We should just refer to the area where the capital is as the Sultanate proper, and name the other area something else.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 4, 2014

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Clearly, our Supreme Headquarters should represent our strength and our glorious capital.

Therefore, I recommend we name it the Tokyo Bay Naval Fortress. Intel indicates it may currently be present in Tokyo Bay, which I nominate as the name of the body of water due south of Tokyo.

I'd also like to request to be put in command of an air unit, when we get them eventually.

Clearly the correct answer.

As for our first target, I say we snip off that giant Arabian dong and build an airstrip on the tip to control those seas/threaten the soviets.
Then roll up the rest of the Sultanate holdings. That lets all our land forces focus on one front, I think, so it's a pretty good choice.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Name any unnamed peninsula Splendiferous Point. Named, of course, after Charles Splendiferous, the first man to successfully drown at Splendiferous Point.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Grey, are there any ressources we're obviously short of or are there any really good resource production areas right across our border with anyone?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

the Gravitas Squadron, the most polite and chivalrous pilots in the sky.

Oh man, we need a capital ship named the Experiencing a Severe Shortfall of Gravitas.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Attack the Sultinate. Mecca shall be ours. Again. :v:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Leperflesh posted:

Oh man, we need a capital ship named the Experiencing a Severe Shortfall of Gravitas.

I liked I've got a big stick.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Comrade Koba posted:

Attack the Sultinate. Mecca shall be ours. Again. :v:

Agreeing with this.

Also we should name a peninsula, possibly the one to our North, the Well-Snake Peninsula, and the bay next to it the The Snake's Well.

If there are any spots left for officers, sign me up.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I think attacking Guangzou might be an interesting idea, if we take the initiative and go about it quickly. Two cities near our border, and only a single, easily blocked path to us that doesn't lead through another nation's territory. Engage the cities and their forces, storm down the isthmus, and then see what we're dealing with. I don't know how other nations handle foreign troops transiting through their lands, so that's a tiny flaw, lol.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

AJ_Impy posted:

I liked I've got a big stick.

Going through the ships list and there are so many good ones. Attitude Adjuster, Unfortunate Conflict of Evidence, and What Are the Civilian Applications? are my favorites.

I would not be opposed to recreating the entire Gravitas Name-line.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

I request command of the land forces who will soon be guarding the western border with those smelly French bastards whose cigarette smoke poisons the lungs of our children. While we aren't at war with them yet, we cannot trust them and must be ready to fight a guerilla war in the forest in case they strike first while we mop up those rag heads in the north

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Just make sure you name a commander after Char Aznable. As long as we have Char on our side, we can't lose!

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Otter Madness posted:

I think attacking Guangzou might be an interesting idea, if we take the initiative and go about it quickly. Two cities near our border, and only a single, easily blocked path to us that doesn't lead through another nation's territory. Engage the cities and their forces, storm down the isthmus, and then see what we're dealing with. I don't know how other nations handle foreign troops transiting through their lands, so that's a tiny flaw, lol.

I agree with this. We should launch an immediate sneak attack on Guangzou to our south. That territory has 6 strategic resources that I can see and their city is literally 2 hexes away from our border.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

eigenstate posted:

I agree with this. We should launch an immediate sneak attack on Guangzou to our south. That territory has 6 strategic resources that I can see and their city is literally 2 hexes away from our border.

So looking at the map more closely, it looks like the adjacent Guangzou territory is actually cut off from the main block on the isthmus by Soviet territory. I think this just further supports an invasion south and grabbing the isthmus. The sooner we control the southern entrance to our territory the better.

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 4, 2014

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

eigenstate posted:

How can you tell? I can't tell the difference between cities and resources for other nations.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

LLSix posted:

How can you tell? I can't tell the difference between cities and resources for other nations.

:ssh: You`re right, I can`t; on second look most of those are actually town/suburb icons.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Can't forget to name the mountain range Hope's Peaks.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
All Capital Ships should be named after Culture vessels.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Name every ship the Enterprise.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Name the narrow strip of land leading South from the Homelands to the future Russian Acquisitions
The Iberian Penninsula

Also, is it passable by naval vessels, or is that other sea completely inland

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

dtkozl posted:

Name every ship the Enterprise.

Yamato, disrespectful dog.

too much? I can dial it back...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Yamato, disrespectful dog.

too much? I can dial it back...

We can have both the Yamato AND the Disrespectful Dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

If there's some kind of 'ridiculous capital ship' naval design philosophy tech tree, we should go down that with all haste. Some people say that the days of massive naval artillery guns are behind us, gentlemen. They are honorless cowards and should be demoted to the rank of assistant deck-scrubber. BIG loving GUNS. :torgue:

• Locked thread