Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WEREWAIF posted:

What if some rogue team had a plan to develop an American prospect, offer him more than a rookie scale contract, and hope he stays around for 5 or 6 years?

It'd be cool to see what happens. I would guess they'd still go to the NBA though in most cases. The long term earning potential there is higher, they wouldn't have to live in a strange foreign country where they don't speak the language (the people who are all "they should totally all go to Europe and get paid!!1" really undersell how hard this is to do as a 19 year old), and they've probably been dreaming of the NBA since they were in grade school. No one in the US grows up dreaming of being Euroleague MVP, they want to be like Jordan or LeBron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

MourningView posted:

It's really not though, because he's not going to play at all. Those teams aren't ever going to make a serious effort to develop guys they know are only sticking around for a year.

He's gonna play for like the Shanghai Sharks or something though, average 30ppg and win a championship with Stephon Marbury (n.b. I don't know what team Stephon Marbury plays for). It's gonna be great.

I mean I realize the various overseas and D-League prospects to date have not wowed the world but I think at some point the floodgates will open and a lot of prospects will start pursuing those routes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think y'all seriously overestimate how much some kid from inner city LA or wherever wants to live in China or Turkey

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MourningView posted:

I think y'all seriously overestimate how much some kid from inner city LA or wherever wants to live in China or Turkey

20 years of evidence shows that faraway locales like Vancouver and Toronto are too exotic for basketball players so probably.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
http://www.tucsonspl.com/ . This is where he should play.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MourningView posted:

How about :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_%27N_Text_Tropang_Texters

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

pseudodragon posted:

20 years of evidence shows that faraway locales like Vancouver and Toronto are too exotic for basketball players so probably.

You'd think that at least Vancouver's fixation on weed would have won somebody over.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

It's really not though, because he's not going to play at all. Those teams aren't ever going to make a serious effort to develop guys they know are only sticking around for a year.

He will if he goes to China, they had no problems playing the guys who jumped during the lockout.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

He will if he goes to China, they had no problems playing the guys who jumped during the lockout.

Well okay but it'll be China and no one will care.

And yeah as noted below there's a difference between playing a guy who can help you win right now and giving a lot of minutes to an extremely raw 19 year old who still has a lot of work to do on his game and isn't going to be there after a year. He can probably play in China, but it'll be because the Chinese league isn't very good, and that's its own issue when it comes to scouting him. He's not good enough right now that a good Euro team would play him.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 15, 2014

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

That's not really comparable, the guys who went to China during the lockout (and before or after it) were established, developed players with plenty of professional experience under their belts.

International teams have no problem playing guys if they're good enough no matter what their nationality (league-mandated restrictions asides), it's just they're not going to sacrifice a chance to win and/or the development of players they know they're going to keep around for the sake of the Jennings and Tylers of the world, and the truth is that those 18-year-olds just aren't good enough to come in and start/play big minutes for any decent European team.

I don't know that much about Mudiay specifically admittedly, but from what I have heard he's not on that level where he's gonna break that mould, and there's about a 99% chance he's not good enough to start or play substantial minutes in China or at a top European club right now. It'll probably end up more Jennings than Tyler, but the chances that he ends up some sort of sensation and a model for players skipping the NCAA are very slim indeed.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

How much do these guys really develop during their one year in college? It's more about exposure than development

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

How much do these guys really develop during their one year in college? It's more about exposure than development

Right, and if they play on a Euro team they don't get any because they don't play at all.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
I don't know the legality of this, but what if some Euro clubs tried signing high school freshmen to five year deals? I mean that'd probably be a terrible situation for the kids, but it's how Euro clubs develop all their talent

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chris de Sperg posted:

I don't know that much about Mudiay specifically admittedly, but from what I have heard he's not on that level where he's gonna break that mould, and there's about a 99% chance he's not good enough to start or play substantial minutes in China or at a top European club right now. It'll probably end up more Jennings than Tyler, but the chances that he ends up some sort of sensation and a model for players skipping the NCAA are very slim indeed.

With you for the top Euro clubs, absolutely. The Chinese league is, comparatively, really bad. 5'9" cargo cult Iversons are the quintessential Chinese player, Jennings would have torn that league UP even at 18.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

BIZORT posted:

Hah c'mon y'all with these dudes the difference between age 17-19 is sometimes like 6 inches and 50 pounds let alone developments in the game. Showing visible development which outpaces your peers who're doing similar tasks is how you work your way up the draft board.

Unless the emphasis word there is College and you're talking about the miracle Kobe-style freaks who were/woulda-been drafted straight out of high school and may have been wasting their time in college compared to the benefit they would receive from practicing against players as close to NBA-levels of skill/athleticism as possible?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

Hah c'mon y'all with these dudes the difference between age 17-19 is sometimes like 6 inches and 50 pounds let alone developments in the game. Showing visible development which outpaces your peers who're doing similar tasks is how you work your way up the draft board.

Unless the emphasis word there is College and you're talking about the miracle Kobe-style freaks who were/woulda-been drafted straight out of high school and may have been wasting their time in college compared to the benefit they would receive from practicing against players as close to NBA-levels of skill/athleticism as possible?

He and several other guys in this class would have been drafted straight out of high school.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Chris de Sperg posted:

That's not really comparable, the guys who went to China during the lockout (and before or after it) were established, developed players with plenty of professional experience under their belts.

International teams have no problem playing guys if they're good enough no matter what their nationality (league-mandated restrictions asides), it's just they're not going to sacrifice a chance to win and/or the development of players they know they're going to keep around for the sake of the Jennings and Tylers of the world, and the truth is that those 18-year-olds just aren't good enough to come in and start/play big minutes for any decent European team.

He'd easily start and probably dominate in China.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If it's about development he should really enter the D-league because the d-leauge tends to steer these types of players to teams where the NBA squads have a lot of input into the running of the team and guys are getting some of the same development they might have in the NBA. Most of the high schoolers who have entered the NBA have gotten drafted at least. Unfortunately it also sort of shows what a player really has, which to me is a plus, but NBA GMs generally draft on potential ahead of certainty.

But that's like 13-25 K a year whereas overseas he might get a million bucks to just sit on the bench, and someone in the NBA likely still willing to drop a lottery pick sight unseen.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He'd easily start and probably dominate in China.
There's always Tehran.
There's a whole Decision aspect to it to because everyone on state-sponsored television will be like: "WILL HE PICK MAHRAM TEHRAN BC OR AZAD UNIVERSITY TEHRAN BC?!?!?!"

Protip: the important thing in Iranian basketball free agency is to decide by picking the team logo you think is coolest

Like Kevin Sheppard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Sheppard

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If Exum can go in the lottery there's really no reason to think he won't unless he's absolutely awful overseas or gets himself into a bunch of trouble. They're similar prospects in a lot of ways and spending a year beating up on China is still more of a test than Exum had last year. It just probably kills any chance he had to go number 1 unless all the college guys way underwhelm.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

With you for the top Euro clubs, absolutely. The Chinese league is, comparatively, really bad. 5'9" cargo cult Iversons are the quintessential Chinese player, Jennings would have torn that league UP even at 18.
Then why did, say, Aquille Carr (who obviously was nowhere near the prospect that Mudiay is) end up in the D-League after touring in China and apparently even getting an offer from a CBA team? I know the Chinese love them some scoring guards and that some awful players put up stupid numbers in that league, but I'm just not sure if an 18-year-old prospect could come in and do the same. But I guess American players in China is a comparatively recent phenomenon and there's not really been a test case for it that I can think of.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
a 5'9" SG would still have 3 inches on Aquille Carr :q: and thank you for reminding me to check my monthly search for new Aquille Carr videos, looks like Vice did a bit on him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejUEzSawMfk

edit: it sucks

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 15, 2014

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Probably doesn't mean anything but Nurkic dropped 30/17 with 4 steals on Portugal in the FIBA under 20 thing.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

TheFallenEvincar posted:

There's always Tehran.
There's a whole Decision aspect to it to because everyone on state-sponsored television will be like: "WILL HE PICK MAHRAM TEHRAN BC OR AZAD UNIVERSITY TEHRAN BC?!?!?!"

Protip: the important thing in Iranian basketball free agency is to decide by picking the team logo you think is coolest

Like Kevin Sheppard

Hahaha yesssssss

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
ooo I'm looking at the FIBA schedule and the Dominican Republic is in our group so we'll get to see Karl Towns play Team USA again on Sept 3 I think

http://www.fiba.com/basketballworldcup/2014/USA

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

EvanTH posted:

ooo I'm looking at the FIBA schedule and the Dominican Republic is in our group so we'll get to see Karl Towns play Team USA again on Sept 3 I think

I've already watched enough Francisco Garcia to last me a lifetime gosh dangit.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

EvanTH posted:

How is Steven Adams not on the New Zealand national team?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Metapod posted:

How is Steven Adams not on the New Zealand national team?

He quite sensibly prioritised Summer League and continued development with NBA coaches over getting demolished playing alongside amateurs. Did you see NZ v Korea last night? That was some low quality basketball man.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

There's always Tehran.

Like Kevin Sheppard

The Azad U Wing Dicks

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=1&source=Chad-Ford-Mock-Draft N'Chad Ford has his first Mock Draft for the class of 15

I'll paste it here for non-insider paying fellows of the proletariat. Sorry for formatting troubles, I've tried to clean it up.

quote:

1 Jahlil Okafor Philadelphia 76ers COLLEGE: Duke HT: 6-11
WT: 275 POS: C
76ers' odds of winning lottery: 25 percent
The Sixers finished with the second-worst record in the league last year and have done little to help their cause in 2014-15. They drafted two players who likely won't play for them this season (Joel Embiid is expected to miss much of the year recovering from injury and Dario Saric is playing in Europe) and have done little in free agency. Nerlens Noel will be the big addition to the team. So while the odds are heavily in the Sixers' favor to land the No. 1 pick, this draft will do little to help their team needs.
The team has two young centers in Noel and Embiid. But Okafor is the consensus No. 1 pick right now and with the exception of Emmanuel Mudiay, all of the other top prospects are bigs as well. While Okafor is different than Noel and Embiid -- the Duke freshman is an old-school, back-to-the-basket, below-the-rim post beast -- he could create a log jam considering Philly's roster. But for GM Sam Hinkie, assets are the key right now and Okafor appears to be the most valuable asset in the draft.
2 Emmanuel Mudiay Milwaukee Bucks COLLEGE: China HT: 6-5 WT: 196 POS: PG
Bucks' odds of winning lottery: 19.9 percent
Mudiay's decision to spurn Southern Methodist and play in China didn't set well with the college basketball paparazzi, but NBA folks, while disappointed they didn't get to see him grow under the tutelage of Larry Brown, don't think it will impact his draft stock -- regardless of how he plays. The Bucks would do well adding a big, athletic point guard to their core of Jabari Parker and Giannis Antetokounmpo.

3 Cliff Alexander Minnesota Timberwolves COLLEGE: Kansas HT: 6-8 WT: 251 POS: PF
Wolves' odds of winning lottery: 15.6 percent
The Wolves will send their pick to the Suns if it falls between Nos. 13 and 30.
The Wolves' position here is obviously affected by what happens to Kevin Love. If they don't trade Love to the Cavs, our forecasters have them picking 11th. However, given owner Glen Taylor's comments that a trade involving Love is likely coming on Aug. 23, we think it's safe to put them here. Alexander already has an NBA body and is a powerful athlete who finishes everything above the rim. His so-so basketball IQ and relative lack of elite size are the things holding him back.

4 Karl Towns Jr. Boston Celtics COLLEGE: Kentucky HT: 7-0 WT: 245 POS: C
Celtics' odds of winning lottery: 11.9 percent
Marcus Smart, Evan Turner, James Young and Joel Anthony aren't likely to increase the Celtics' win total too much this season. The good news for Celtics fans is that this might be the year they finally get a big to build around. Kelly Olynyk and Tyler Zeller are nice, but Towns has much more potential. He's huge, highly skilled and can stretch the floor. The biggest question mark around Towns will be how much playing time he gets on a loaded Kentucky team. If he gets minutes, he'll likely go very high in the draft.

5 Stanley Johnson Orlando Magic COLLEGE: Arizona HT: 6-7 WT: 237 POS: SF
Magic's odds of winning lottery: 8.8 percent

The Magic got both their power forward and point guard of the future in the 2014 draft with Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton, respectively. Pair them with Victor Oladipo and the Magic have a dominant defensive team in the making. Add Johnson to the mix and you have yet another player capable of locking down multiple positions. Johnson's not a great shooter, which might make him an odd choice for Orlando given the team's shooting woes, but he's the sort of high-character, high-energy player whom GM Rob Hennigan seems to be in love with.

6 Myles Turner Sacramento Kings COLLEGE: Texas HT: 7-0 WT: 240 POS: C
Kings' odds of winning lottery: 6.3 percent
The Kings will send their first-round pick to the Bulls if it falls between Nos. 11 to 30.
Kings owner Vivek Ranadive won't be happy to see this projection. He's been spending a ton of money to push Sacramento into the playoffs. But the West is deep, eight teams from the conference won't make the postseason and there's nothing about the Kings right now that screams playoffs. The Kings have been looking for a big man who can protect the rim to pair alongside DeMarcus Cousins. Turner is very raw, but his basketball talents for a player his size are truly special -- especially as a shot-blocker and rebounder. His athleticism seems to have waned some as he's gotten older, which could end up dropping his stock a bit. However, he won't need to dominate at Texas to prove his NBA value.

7 Justise Winslow Detroit Pistons COLLEGE: Duke HT: 6-6 WT: 222 POS: SF
Pistons' odds of winning lottery: 4.3 percent
Winslow, like Johnson, makes his living on the defensive end. He's got an NBA body, athleticism and motor, and possesses quite a physical presence for his position. He's not a great shooter yet (though scouts say he showed improved form in practice), but he could have a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist-type impact at Duke. The
Pistons have plenty of players who can score. Finding an elite perimeter defender will be at the top of Stan Van Gundy's wish list if the Pistons struggle yet again this season.

8 Kristaps Porzingis Utah Jazz COLLEGE: Latvia HT: 6-11 WT: 220 POS: PF
Jazz's odds of winning lottery: 2.8 percent
The Jazz are loaded with young prospects and their future has never looked brighter now that Dante Exum is on board. But in a loaded Western Conference, they'll struggle this season. The good news is that the Jazz will have a chance to add yet another stud in the 2015 draft. Porzingas will be an interesting choice. His skill set and athleticism for a player his size are truly intriguing. If he has a big year in Spain this season, he could go even higher than this projection.

9 Montrezl Harrell Phoenix Suns COLLEGE: Louisville HT: 6-8 WT: 235 POS: PF
Suns' odds of winning lottery: 1.7 percent
The Lakers will send their first-round pick to the Suns if it falls between Nos. 6 to 30.
The Lakers sent this pick to the Suns as part of the Steve Nash trade and have to be regretting it now. It looks like the Lakers won't be bad enough to finish in the bottom five (where they need to be to keep their pick), but will be bad enough to give the Suns a mid-lottery pick. The Suns could go a numbers of ways here, but Harrell would give the team toughness, athleticism, rebounding and shot-blocking in the post. He would've been a lottery pick had he declared last year. Another year at Louisville should make him one of the most NBA-ready prospects in the draft.

10Kelly Oubre New York Knicks COLLEGE: Kansas HT: 6-7 WT: 204 POS: SF
Knicks' odds of winning lottery: 1.1 percent
The good news? The Knicks finally have their own first-round draft pick in a year our experts are picking them to fall into the lottery. The bad news? The Knicks likely will land in the lottery in the wrong year. At this point in the draft, the talent gets a bit iffy, though Oubre is an interesting prospect. He has good size, elite athletic ability and can really let it fly. He impressed scouts at the Nike Skills Academy to the point that many thought he could end up being a top-five pick. The Knicks need talent, and at this point in the draft, few possess it as much as Oubre. He likely will be frustratingly up and down this season, much like Zach LaVine last season with UCLA, but his raw tools are pretty special.

11 Mario Hezonja Houston Rockets COLLEGE: Croatia HT: 6-7 WT: 200 POS: SF
Rockets' odds of winning lottery: 0.8 percent
The Pelicans will send their pick to the Rockets if it falls between Nos. 4 to 19.
The Rockets get this pick from the Pelicans as part of the Omer Asik trade. Having lost Chandler Parsons this summer, drafting a player like Hezonja might be a great move. Yes, the Rockets just re-signed Trevor Ariza, but the depth is thin at the wing. Hezonja is loaded with talent, but he rarely gets to use it; playing for one of the best teams in Europe, he doesn't get the touches his talent suggests he should. I'm not sure that will change this season, but his upside might be too much to pass on for the Rockets, who can afford to be patient.
12 Chris Walker Denver Nuggets COLLEGE: Florida HT: 6-9
PLAYER CARD
PLAYER CARD
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=1&source=Chad-Ford-Mock-Draft&refresh=true%09Page 7 of 19
ESPN NBA Mock Draft - ESPN 8/4/14 5:56 PM
WT: 195 POS: SF
Nuggets' odds of winning lottery: 0.7 percent
The Nuggets are hoping that the addition of Arron Afflalo plus Gary Harris plus a healthy Danilo Gallinari will mean they aren't in the lottery again. But should the Nuggets land here, with talent at virtually every position, they can afford to take the top talent left on the board. Walker is raw and received limited playing time at Florida last year, but his athletic talents are special and his ability to play both the 3 and the 4 will intrigue. If he has a big season, he could end up going much higher in the draft.

13 Willie Cauley-Stein Charlotte Hornets COLLEGE: Kentucky HT: 7-0 WT: 220 POS: C
Hornets' odds of winning lottery: 0.6 percent
Our forecasters predicted the Hornets as a lottery team, which is strange for a club that made the playoffs last year and improved considerably this summer with the additions of Lance Stephenson, Marvin Williams, Noah Vonleh and P.J. Hairston. So don't blame the messenger here. I'd be shocked if the Hornets weren't a playoff team this season. If they do land this high, it might help them to improve the one area where they are still fairly weak: backup center. Cauley-Stein might not be formidable offensively, but he might be the best shot-blocker in the draft.

14 R.J. Hunter Atlanta Hawks COLLEGE: Georgia St HT: 6-5 WT: 185 POS: SG
Hawks' odds of winning lottery: 0.5 percent
PLAYER CARD
PLAYER CARD
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=1&source=Chad-Ford-Mock-Draft&refresh=true%09Page 8 of 19
The Hawks have the right to swap first-round picks with the Nets.
The Hawks have one of the best shooters in the league in Kyle Korver, but as he ages, they need a long-term replacement. This hometown prospect wowed scouts this summer at LeBron's camp with his shooting. He's not a great athlete and he's playing in the Sun Belt Conference, but shooters always rise in the draft and Hunter has a ton of potential.
PLAYER CARD

15 Wayne Selden Indiana Pacers COLLEGE: Kansas HT: 6-5 WT: 230 POS: SG
The loss of both Paul George and Lance Stephenson was a blow to the Pacers this summer and should dramatically impact their record this season. C.J. Miles and Rodney Stuckey will try to fill the gap, but ultimately the Pacers will want another wing to put scoring pressure on defenses. Selden was overshadowed at Kansas as a freshman by Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid. A knee injury also slowed him down toward the end of the season. He should get more touches and attention as a sophomore now that he's healthy (and now that he's the Jayhawks' new alpha dog).
PLAYER CARD

16 Rondae Hollis-Jefferson Brooklyn Nets COLLEGE: Arizona HT: 6-7 WT: 205 POS: SF
Hollis-Jefferson, at times, looked like the best player on the Wildcats last season. He's a high-energy athlete who plays two ways. His jump shot is his biggest question mark, along with how he'll fit in next to Stanley Johnson. For a Nets team that long term is very thin at the 3 position, Hollis-Jefferson would be a nice pick here.

17 Justin Jackson Phoenix Suns COLLEGE: North Carolina
PLAYER CARD
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=1&source=Chad-Ford-Mock-Draft&refresh=true%09Page 9 of 19
HT: 6-7 WT: 200 POS: SF
The Suns can always use shooters. The fact that Jackson occasionally gets compared to a young Reggie Miller should help with the sell.
PLAYER CARD

18 Tyus Jones Toronto Raptors COLLEGE: Duke HT: 6-1 WT: 170 POS: PG
Kyle Lowry rules the point guard position for the Raptors and Greivis Vasquez has the backup position locked down for the next two years. However, as a long-term fit, Jones would be a great get here. He sees the floor as well as any point guard in the draft.
PLAYER CARD

19 Bobby Portis Washington Wizards COLLEGE: Arkansas HT: 6-11 WT: 231 POS: PF
Portis, a freshman last year, had one of the most underrated seasons of anyone in the country. He's big, athletic and can play inside and outside. He needs to get stronger, but he's a good long-term solution for the Wizards, which could really use some depth in their frontcourt behind Marcin Gortat.

20 Sam Dekker Memphis Grizzlies COLLEGE: Wisconsin HT: 6-8
PLAYER CARD
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=1&source=Chad-Ford-Mock-Draft&refresh=true%09Page 10 of 19
WT: 215 POS: SF
The Grizzlies will send their first-round pick to the Cavs if it falls between Nos. 6 to 14.
Dekker was one of the most impressive players at the Nike Skills Academy this summer and the analytics guys love him. The fact that he's grown to 6-foot-9 might mean he can make a living as a stretch 4 in the NBA, which would be very attractive to the Grizzlies.
PLAYER CARD

21 Jarell Martin Portland Trail Blazers COLLEGE: LSU HT: 6-9 WT: 241 POS: PF
Martin was one of the top freshmen prospects in the country last year, but a slow start to the season at LSU hurt his draft stock. A strong sophomore campaign could propel him back to being a first-round lock. With LaMarcus Aldridge likely to hit free agency next summer, the Blazers might need the help at the 4. Even if Aldridge re-signs as promised, Martin is a nice long-term play for the Blazers.
PLAYER CARD

22 Marc Garcia Dallas Mavericks COLLEGE: Spain HT: 6-6 WT: 180 POS: SG
The Mavs always have had a fondness for international players, and Garcia is worth a look at this point in the draft. He's an excellent scorer who can light it up from anywhere. Monta Ellis and Devin Harris are entrenched here for the next two years, but Garcia is a very good long-term play.

23 Ilimane Diop
PLAYER CARD
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=1&source=Chad-Ford-Mock-Draft&refresh=true%09Page 11 of 19
Cleveland Cavaliers COLLEGE: Senegal HT: 7-0 WT: 230
POS: C
The Heat will send their first-round pick to the Cavs if it falls between Nos. 11 to 30.
Though the Cavs have intriguing young players at every position on the floor, they lack depth at center. Diop has all of the physical tools you want in a defensive-minded center, with his shot-blocking and rebounding the main attractions. He doesn't play a lot in the Spanish league (Liga ACB), but if he gets minutes this season, he should be a lock for the first round.
PLAYER CARD

24 Ron Baker Golden State Warriors COLLEGE: Wichita State HT: 6-3 WT: 213 POS: PG
Baker is another shooter who can play both point guard and shooting guard. The Warriors love shooters and Baker's toughness should make him an ideal backup in Golden State.
25 Frank Kaminsky Los Angeles Lakers COLLEGE: Wisconsin HT: 7-0 WT: 234 POS: C
The Rockets will send their first-round pick to the Lakers if it falls between Nos. 15 to 30.
The Lakers will be in the business of getting players who can help them now and Kaminsky represents the sort of Pau Gasol-type big man who's long on finesse and low on physicality. His ability to step out and stretch the defense is also very attractive. He could be a nice long-term pairing next to Julius Randle.
PLAYER CARD
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=1&source=Chad-Ford-Mock-Draft&refresh=true%09Page 12 of 19

26 Andrew Harrison Chicago Bulls COLLEGE: Kentucky HT: 6-5 WT: 207 POS: PG
Harrison once was considered a high lottery pick, but a disappointing freshman campaign caused his stock to plummet. He played better toward the end of the season, however, and with a year under his belt, some scouts think he could still have a breakout year. The Bulls could always use a long-term backup for Derrick Rose.
27 Caris LeVert Boston Celtics COLLEGE: Michigan HT: 6-6 WT: 185 POS: SF
The Clippers will send their first-round pick to the Celtics.
LeVert was a revelation last year and scouts are still trying to get their arms around him as a prospect. If he can continue the improvement as a junior and shoot the ball as well as he did last year, he could end up going much higher than this. For the Celtics, another shooter could never hurt.
PLAYER CARD

28 Jabari Bird Oklahoma City Thunder COLLEGE: California HT: 6-6 WT: 190 POS: SG
Bird is a good athlete and, before he got hurt, proved to be a good shooter. This area continues to be problematic for the Thunder ever since they traded James Harden. Not sure Bird is the long-term answer, but
PLAYER CARD
PLAYER CARD
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=1&source=Chad-Ford-Mock-Draft&refresh=true%09Page 13 of 19
he's an intriguing prospect.
PLAYER CARD

29 Trey Lyles San Antonio Spurs COLLEGE: Kentucky HT: 6-10 WT: 230 POS: PF
Lyles won't be a fit for everyone, but he's got a little Carlos Boozer in him and the Spurs seem to do wonders with players like Lyles. I'm not sure how he cracks Kentucky's loaded rotation this season, but if he does, a team like the Spurs would be happy to pick him up.
PLAYER CARD

30 Delon Wright Cleveland Cavaliers COLLEGE: Utah HT: 6-5 WT: 178 POS: PG
The Bulls can swap first-round picks with the Cavs if the Cavs' pick falls between Nos. 15 and 30.
The Cavs could use a long-term backup point guard for Kyrie Irving, preferably one who can immediately help. Wright is a great athlete and a true point guard with good feel for the game. Just don't ask him to shoot the 3.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Chad Ford's lovely narrative gets more insufferable every year.

Thanks Igor.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I believe chad ford made a type, OKC should have the 30th pick since they will win the finals

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
My highlight video watching uninformed opinion is that Karl Towns has a higher ceiling than Okafor, but Okafor has a good chance to be an offensive stalwart for a long time

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
That's really stupid to combine both NBA projections (before the season starts) AND draft order projections, why don't they just rank talent? Is it fun to be doubly wrong?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

That's really stupid to combine both NBA projections (before the season starts) AND draft order projections, why don't they just rank talent? Is it fun to be doubly wrong?

He has just a ranking of top prospects too, but people are more likely to click on an actual mock draft

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I just don't like doing mock drafts a year ahead of time. Too much poo poo can happen. Prospect rankings are fine.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

Crazy Ted posted:

I just don't like doing mock drafts a year ahead of time. Too much poo poo can happen. Prospect rankings are fine.
Nah they're great, just so we can freak out about someone "falling" or "shooting up" the "draft boards" in November.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

He has just a ranking of top prospects too, but people are more likely to click on an actual mock draft

And the mock draft allows him to talk about fit with teams, skills they do and don't have, are developing etc, and personality stuff that specific teams care about. It just makes painting a picture of them as NBA players easier.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Haha Frank Kaminsky to the Lakers. That might be the straw that breaks the camel's back in LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What do you guys think of Caris Levert?

• Locked thread