Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Disturbed to hear the government has backed down on 18C and will keep offensive speech illegal. Very disturbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh my god the other headline is the father in the surrogate baby mess has a child sex conviction. Yaaaaaay

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gough Suppressant posted:

The Abbott Government has given up on reforming 18c. Too many lobby groups hate free speech. And the reforms were badly sold. I suspect the country will be poorer for this.

Won't anyone take just a single loving moment to consider the feelings of Andrew Bolt on this?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Orkin Mang posted:

Won't anyone take just a single loving moment to consider the feelings of Andrew Bolt on this?

I intend on considering them for more than just a moment, personally.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

KennyTheFish posted:

From what I read in here, it depends if the JSA runs / gets a kickback on the course.

Oh ok, so it's not like it's a blanket thing? Might ask around with some other friends who are unemployed and see if their agencies are any better.

Cert IV friend is with Epic, I'm pretty sure.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Boo! Boo this man!

Like, I don't even understand what abbott's saying here?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Has there ever been a government this bad at prosecuting their policy agenda?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Like, they've burned through all their political capital in less than 12 months and achieved absolutely nothing apart from the carbon tax repeal.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Disturbed to hear the government has backed down on 18C and will keep offensive speech illegal. Very disturbed.

It should not be illegal to offend someone. There is a human right to free speech. There is no human right to be free of offence ...

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haters Objector posted:

Like, they've burned through all their political capital in less than 12 months and achieved absolutely nothing apart from the carbon tax repeal.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Haters Objector posted:

Has there ever been a government this bad at prosecuting their policy agenda?

McEwan/Gorton/McMahon achieved essentially gently caress all in 5 years. Fraser was about as bad over 8 years.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cartoon posted:

McEwan/Gorton/McMahon achieved essentially gently caress all in 5 years. Fraser was about as bad over 8 years.

Those years in power worry me as I was hoping that the Abbott government would be a one-term government.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.abbottslies.com.au/

all i get is pictures of cats.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lid posted:

It should not be illegal to offend someone. There is a human right to free speech. There is no human right to be free of offence ...

So for sake of consistency, people should also be allowed to yell swear words at people in public, and there shouldn't be any laws against public nudity?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sounds like something a noted dogfucker would say.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Such complication wow

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Someone post that bolt page with Labour scribbled over with Libs.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
George Brandis is a giant pink baby man.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Such complication wow

Cowardly prime minister surrenders to Islamic terror.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad the government are focusing on the most important issue facing Australia today: the hordes of home-grown terrorist cells.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ewe2 posted:

Such complication wow

I thought human shields were meant to discourage being targeted.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
PM Abbott on Australians fighting for Israel. Says they're dual citizens and "there's a world of difference" to fighting for a terror group.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Cassa posted:

Why didn't they just take Brisbane's Go Card system?

Unrelatedly, a friend has a Cert IV in admin, but wants to get into warehousing and thinks a cert in that would be more beneficial. They're with a JSA so they should fork out some dosh for training, right? Or will they have to pay for it all out of pocket.

Depends what stream your friend is in, the more barriers to unemployment you have and/or the longer you've been unemployed the more funding you attract and higher the stream you get put in.

From memory of a post in last months thread, stream 2 (unemployed 6 months) was a couple of hundred dollars, but that is by no means definitive.

But definitely encourage your friend to push their JSA for some kind of subsided training, it's basically all JSAs are good for in my experience.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
TEAM AUSTRALIA

we're hosed.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

monolithburger posted:

Depends what stream your friend is in, the more barriers to unemployment you have and/or the longer you've been unemployed the more funding you attract and higher the stream you get put in.

From memory of a post in last months thread, stream 2 (unemployed 6 months) was a couple of hundred dollars, but that is by no means definitive.

But definitely encourage your friend to push their JSA for some kind of subsided training, it's basically all JSAs are good for in my experience.

Cassa, the problem is the Cert 4, if you want a cert at the same level you'll have to pay for it, they can only subsidize the next level up. So unless there's a Diploma, you'd be out of luck.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I've never had any problem with Perth's SmartRider system bugging out.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

In light of the 18c reversal, perhaps this Sunday's edition of the Bolt Report might actually be worth watching...

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

George Brandis is a potato with a pair of glasses glued to it

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
IPA is slowly starting to turn on Abbott...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It was Abbott that convinced Bolt to keep writing after the court case, and now that Abbott has shot down the changes to the laws Bolt will feel betrayedl

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Pretty funny Chris Berg piece on the drum, urging Abbott to "reset" the budget because everyone hates it.

This despite the fact that the IPA might as well have written the budget.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Is there a more punchable face in Australia?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Christopher Pyne

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Tim Wilson espousing McDonald's human right to property.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Lots of good counter-points.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Scottmorrison.jpg

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/aug/05/mystery-over-dead-koala-dumped-in-police-driveway-with-50-in-its-mouth

quote:

“I put my torch on it, and I saw it was a koala,” Von Tunk told Fairfax radio on Tuesday. “It made me shiver, I thought what’s this about, and I thought I was getting set up – the old put a dead koala out in the middle of the driveway situation, and then get ambushed. All sorts of things go through your head.”

Ah yes, the old dead koala trick. Gets them every time.

And I cant believe it's been 20 years since the Tasty raid. I feel old. :corsair:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/05/victoria-police-apologise-to-lgbti-community-for-tasty-nightclub-raid

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 5, 2014

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Senor Tron posted:

So for sake of consistency, people should also be allowed to yell swear words at people in public, and there shouldn't be any laws against public nudity?

What a sensible column questioning the merits of having ACMA: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...f-1227012164014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Lid posted:

What a sensible column questioning the merits of having ACMA: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...f-1227012164014
Arsetralian, paywalled. 1/10 see me after class.

• Locked thread