Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

For job applications that ask for code samples, is it OK to include links to answers I've posted on Stack Overflow? I'd link my Github projects, but they're all private repositories unfortunately (proprietary code I wrote for my employer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Careful Drums posted:

The implication was that my salary wouldn't change, but tbh I don't remember the details but I did get two separate w2s, one from the agency and one from my company after they hired me. So I duno. Point stands though, always negotiate.

If you were going through an agency the company was probably paying a ton more to them then they are to you now. They offered you the position to save some cash. But to hire you outright from the agency, the company probably paid a finders fee, so they may not see that savings for quite some time.

Just some made up numbers..

Say you were making $100/hour. Tack on taxes, benefits, overhead, that might have actually cost the agency $170/hour. They want a profit, so they bill you at $200/hour. Your company comes along and hires you for say, $90/hour. They probably have better benefits, so you total package is better. With those benefits, taxes, etc, they're now paying $170/hour. But they gave $20000 to the agency for a finders fee.

Look on the bright side, they invested in you for the long term so they must think you are valuable. Enjoy the job, wait a year, do something great, ask for a raise.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gounads posted:

If you were going through an agency the company was probably paying a ton more to them then they are to you now. They offered you the position to save some cash. But to hire you outright from the agency, the company probably paid a finders fee, so they may not see that savings for quite some time.

Say you were making $100/hour. Tack on taxes, benefits, overhead, that might have actually cost the agency $170/hour. They want a profit, so they bill you at $200/hour. Your company comes along and hires you for say, $90/hour. They probably have better benefits, so you total package is better. With those benefits, taxes, etc, they're now paying $170/hour. But they gave $20000 to the agency for a finders fee.

Look on the bright side, they invested in you for the long term so they must think you are valuable. Enjoy the job, wait a year, do something great, ask for a raise.

Thanks, that's basically what I'm doing. I just hit a year this summer and they do annual reviews in October, which is why I'm working on my resume - to either get a better job or use it to leverage a big rear end raise (your made up numbers are wayy higher than what I'm at.).

The benefits are poo poo though so I still wouldn't bat an eye at going somewhere with better insurance, because oh gently caress having a family is expensive in medical care.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Has anyone used hired.com, and if so what was the experience like?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Gounads posted:

Thanks for this, I am going to be starting a new job as a contract-to-hire person so this might be me in 6-12 months assuming I end up being useful.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm coming up on about two months working at my new workplace. During the interview, my direct superior mentioned that I would "go full-time" around the fall, which I'm guessing means in about a month. This full-time status comes with a pay raise and a standard 40hr work week. I want to make sure that this happens, cause I'd like the pay bump, but there is nothing in writing that explicitly says this will actually happen - I only have his word during the interview itself. When should I ask my boss what the deal is with that? I feel like I'd come off as greedy or demanding if I broach this subject with just two months or so under my belt, but I'd just really like to be sure of where I will be in the near future.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pollyanna posted:

I'm coming up on about two months working at my new workplace. During the interview, my direct superior mentioned that I would "go full-time" around the fall, which I'm guessing means in about a month. This full-time status comes with a pay raise and a standard 40hr work week. I want to make sure that this happens, cause I'd like the pay bump, but there is nothing in writing that explicitly says this will actually happen - I only have his word during the interview itself. When should I ask my boss what the deal is with that? I feel like I'd come off as greedy or demanding if I broach this subject with just two months or so under my belt, but I'd just really like to be sure of where I will be in the near future.

Ask right now. "Hey, when do you think I'll be going up to full time? I need to make sure I schedule for it."

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Pollyanna posted:

No, it's not greedy. We're just conditioned to feel pangs of being self-centered and undeserving when it comes to asking for raises, extra benefits, perks, etc. even if it was promised, before we even open our mouth. It's an easy thing to get shy about. And often verbal commitments like that (hell, even contractual ones) can lapse so it's important to follow up on them.

I wouldn't yet pin your hopes on "in about a month", as "Fall" is pretty broad and early-mid september isn't even in it technically. That said 90 days is pretty standard for a probationary period so given you're 2 months in you may be correct. Anyway, I would bring it up as a friendly inquiry as soon as appropriate and no later than a month or so. Your position shift could be totally on schedule and just knowing that and what the schedule is will put you at ease. Or it could be totally forgotten about because your boss and/or HR is bad at their job. Or it could be "forgotten about" on the hopes/assumption that you won't bring it up and they'll save some bucks unless/until you finally do speak up (or even denied and countered with "really? well I don't remember any agreement like that"). Don't let those sparsely different scenarios cause you anxiety, just ask and see what their response is.

I don't know your boss/workplace so this wasn't really meant as any accusation towards them. I would guess you're more likely to be taken care of than be hosed around with like in one of the shittier scenarios above, but it is best to clear the air about that agreement. If you're having cold feet to broach the subject, couch it under whatever reasons you feel may help. A go-to is that you're worried about the stability of the position as it was promised and until it reaches that point you will struggle to support your wife/girlfriend/kids/mom/pet hamster/whatever. That stuff is entirely irrelevant & none of their business, and you do not need any justification for asking them to stick what they've agreed to, but if you're finding trouble working up the nerve to talk about it sometimes thinking of items like that (even if it's grossly exaggerated) will help.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 4, 2014

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

HondaCivet posted:

Thanks for this, I am going to be starting a new job as a contract-to-hire person so this might be me in 6-12 months assuming I end up being useful.

Building on this, is it common for people going from to contact to full-time after 6-12 months to be better off than they would have been had they gone from contract to quitting for a full time position at an entirely different company after the same amount of time?

Wondering if I should plan to convert at my current place around the nine month mark or just start sending resumes out to other companies around the ten- or eleven-month mark.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

For job applications that ask for code samples, is it OK to include links to answers I've posted on Stack Overflow? I'd link my Github projects, but they're all private repositories unfortunately (proprietary code I wrote for my employer).

Any thoughts on this? :)

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

Any thoughts on this? :)

If they're good answers, I don't see why not.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

EB Nulshit posted:

Building on this, is it common for people going from to contact to full-time after 6-12 months to be better off than they would have been had they gone from contract to quitting for a full time position at an entirely different company after the same amount of time?

Completely depends on the companies.

Some companies give the best raises to entice you to stay when you tell them you're leaving. Some companies avoid that BS and make sure to always pay you what your worth. Some companies prefer contractors because they don't count in their "headcount" numbers that outside investors look at and will pay more for them because of that.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
e: this was a stupid thing to post!

Blotto Skorzany fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 5, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have an interview at 4:30 that looks like it will be "brief 15-30 minute telephone / live coding technical assessment."

It's for a full-stack/front-end Python software developer position. What sort of question(s) should I expect?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Out of the last round of interviews at my company, we found a candidate we'd like to hire. He currently works for a company that is a customer of our company. My boss wants to somehow make sure that giving the candidate an offer won't offend the customer. Besides the practical obstacle that there isn't really a way to do this without tipping the candidate's hand and endangering his current job, isn't this illegal (we operate in Connecticut)? It smells a lot like the non-poaching agreement that a bunch of companies in the valley got slapped with a CAL for last year. If this does violate some law I'd like to know so that I can bring it up to my boss in an email (vs. a face-to-face conversation that wouldn't lead a paper trail) in the hopes that knowing such behavior is illicit would prevent us from acting in this dickish manner.

An unspoken one-way choice to not poach an employee doesn't sound illegal to me.

As far as it being dickish goes, if the employee's being hired because of general programming skill, and you didn't find out about him through your connection with that customer company, it doesn't sound dickish. On the other hand, if the employee has product-specific knowledge that makes him extra valuable to your company, maybe it is a bit dickish. On the other hand, it's also less economically suboptimal in the macro sense (given that you're destroying less institutional knowledge).

The scenario your boss would like to avoid is, perhaps, where the other company starts poaching his employees. That means you. You are an adversary to your boss here. So act like one. (Of course it's in my best interest that other people are the ones that stick their neck out.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

shrughes posted:

As far as it being dickish goes, if the employee's being hired because of general programming skill, and you didn't find out about him through your connection with that customer company, it doesn't sound dickish. On the other hand, if the employee has product-specific knowledge that makes him extra valuable to your company, maybe it is a bit dickish. On the other hand, it's also less economically suboptimal in the macro sense (given that you're destroying less institutional knowledge).

Perhaps I was unclear: the part I think is dickish is my boss wanting to call the potential hire's boss and ask if it's OK to hire one of his employees before extending an offer. I think we should just send the guy an offer.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Out of the last round of interviews at my company, we found a candidate we'd like to hire. He currently works for a company that is a customer of our company. My boss wants to somehow make sure that giving the candidate an offer won't offend the customer. Besides the practical obstacle that there isn't really a way to do this without tipping the candidate's hand and endangering his current job, isn't this illegal (we operate in Connecticut)? It smells a lot like the non-poaching agreement that a bunch of companies in the valley got slapped with a CAL for last year. If this does violate some law I'd like to know so that I can bring it up to my boss in an email (vs. a face-to-face conversation that wouldn't lead a paper trail) in the hopes that knowing such behavior is illicit would prevent us from acting in this dickish manner.

Get legal on the horn not idiot forums posters.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Malcolm XML posted:

Get legal on the horn not idiot forums posters.

Fair point.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Okay then, what's the other guy gonna do, say, "Why yes, I'd love for you to hire away one of my employees!" It's not like he means it. You should just hire the guy. Yeah, anyway, definitely, as far as legality goes, I would not recommend calling and asking. Not calling and not hiring could be okay. Should you email your boss and say in person? Depends on how much you value your relationship with your boss/company. The fact that you'd choose to send an email or be verbal is something that I would take as a signal. But then I'm a bit sensitive to that sort of thing due to upbringing.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 5, 2014

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Otto Skorzeny posted:

You're right, it could piss off your customer if you snatch up their employees. Or maybe it won't. Maybe they won't find out. I don't believe there's anything illegal about it unless you've signed some sort of agreement with them, and even then my cursory glances are suggesting that those agreements aren't holding up in court lately.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Perhaps I was unclear: the part I think is dickish is my boss wanting to call the potential hire's boss and ask if it's OK to hire one of his employees before extending an offer. I think we should just send the guy an offer.

LOL what is wrong with your boss

If this guy is really worth the trouble then maybe double-check with your lawyers but I doubt there'd be anything illegal about hiring the guy. But it could damage your relationship with that client.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 5, 2014

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

HondaCivet posted:

If this guy is really worth the trouble then maybe double-check with your lawyers but I doubt there'd be anything illegal about hiring the guy. But it could damage your relationship with that client.

I really thought I had clarified this, but to reiterate: I don't think hiring the guy is wrong or illegal, I think an implicit non-poaching agreement with one of our customers is wrong (it fucks over the engineer we want to hire, who applied for the position without us contacting him) and maybe illegal (a possible violation of section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890) regardless of any legitimate concerns we may have of pissing off a customer.

I'm going to edit my earlier post because I must have written it badly if everyone who reads it gets an inverted meaning from the text compared to the meaning that I intended to convey (and besides, like Malcolm XML said it was stupid of me to solicit opinions on this from an internet comedy forum rather than bringing the issue up with my boss and my company's legal department.

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014
I'm in a weird position. My boss just told me they think I've been ready for a promotion (and big raise) for a while, but because of some corporate reorganization stuff that's been going on for the last few months, they haven't done it yet because they're not sure what title to give me.

I've got a few interviews scheduled, but how should I handle this? I said something like "I'm flattered you think I'm that good, but that's not a promotion. What are you gonna do about this?" That got him pretty nervous and he said that he'd talk to our team lead to get a move on with this. I'm the newest guy on our team so I don't want to throw a big fit, but I'm still pissed over this.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I guess anyone can find themselves at least thinking about doing that, but it would be one unpleasant motherfucker who actually picks up the phone or sends off that email.

Could you imagine your potential employer spilling the beans to your boss before they ever extend an offer? For crying out loud, this "we like you and want to make an offer" phase of an employment relationship is where your potential boss is supposed to be at their highest levels of acting like he has your best interests at heart! If he's capable of calling your current boss... before an offer is even extended... at a time where he should be at least pretending to give a gently caress about you--how warm and fuzzy are you gonna feel about sidling into that job? gently caress me.

Your boss's non-scumbag options:

1) Extend the offer and be a grown up about any repercussions
2) Say "Sorry, we can't do this until [event], because it conflicts with our relationship with your employer"

Either of which assume your boss does some real research on the topic. Talk to whoever manages that relationship within his company, or his higher ups or whatever. It will completely depend, I can see something like that ranging from a major existential crisis for the entire business relationship, all the way down to not even being a blip on the radar for the other company. What he needs to do is figure things out on his own and come to a decision responsibly.

Please tell us if he actually goes through with that because gently caress me.

EDIT instead of a doublepost:

null gallagher posted:

I'm in a weird position. My boss just told me they think I've been ready for a promotion (and big raise) for a while, but because of some corporate reorganization stuff that's been going on for the last few months, they haven't done it yet because they're not sure what title to give me.

I've got a few interviews scheduled, but how should I handle this? I said something like "I'm flattered you think I'm that good, but that's not a promotion. What are you gonna do about this?" That got him pretty nervous and he said that he'd talk to our team lead to get a move on with this. I'm the newest guy on our team so I don't want to throw a big fit, but I'm still pissed over this.
Ask for details on what the hold-ups are. The blocker can't be "Ah, jeez. Everything's in place, but we just don't know what we should CALL null gallagher's position! Anything guys? drat, alright. Well maybe we'll come up with it next week". Ask what titles they're considering and offer your input on what you feel most comfortable with. I've seen small companies have org chart writer's block when they start getting larger. There's a feeling that if they gently caress up anything NOW, they'll be feeling it for years because making any changes later could potentially upset long time employees because they just went from "Lead butt-smuggler" to "Senior butt-smuggler" and this has somehow deeply impacted their career. Ok fine, but get him to give you details if this is actually the case. He's basically admitted you've earned this raise so it's your money they're keeping by delaying it each pay period.

It could be money, where they want a little more of a reserve to build up (or VC to finalize, etc) before making the change. You don't have a lot of options here. They could be literally unable to budget it right now, or they could be playing it cautious (far more likely). Either way, again, if this is his response you have some leeway to inquire about the details of the money issue.

It could be procedural (this is the one I'm betting on, just barely ahead of money), that is to say, for instance, raises can mean budget increases which means approval from the board or shareholders or however that's structured with your company. Sometimes it's easier to package promotions and other expenses into a bundle and showcase it as a "growth initiative", which if you only ask for every now and then should go through pretty easily (but everything has to wait until the whole proposal is ready), compared to going for approval for every nickel and dime budget change. With the former you look like a department that really has your poo poo all planned out, whereas the former starts spending a lot of political capital as well as quickly comes across as unorganized (but the turn-around for requests that get approved is usually extremely quick). As companies grow they almost invariably start on one end of the spectrum and make their way to the other.

Anyway, ask for details. If they want to say "we know you deserve a raise/promotion but we don't have that for you right now", they at least should give you a solid understanding of why that is the case. You can't exactly tell them you fell short on, say, a project you're working on and then walk away without giving further explanation, can you? They'll want to know why, even if it isn't your fault for the problems, they'll want to know why it's delayed. Ask the same from them.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 5, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Also HR, this is their domain.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

HondaCivet posted:

There's no use worrying about what you didn't do soon enough, it's already done. Just be glad you didn't wait any longer. It's also super useless to stress about failed interviews. Take what lessons you can from it and move on.

Yes it's normal for recruiters to come after people, that's their job. Some recruiters really aren't that bad. They care about maintaining good reputations with both the companies they work with and the hiring pool in the area and thus can't be total pieces of poo poo. But yeah there are plenty of recruiters that really don't give two shits about any of that and see you as a walking dollar sign. The difference between the two is fairly obvious in my experience.

Are you in the Portland area or thinking about moving there? I'm already here, you can PM me if you want to ask any questions. :) Not that I'm an expert but I've used at least one of the firms you mentioned.

Thanks for the info. Turns out I passed the phone screen and am going for an on-site interview near the end of the month :woop: I've been getting more contact with recruiters from the area who are giving me good options. I guess Portland is more of a hotbed for .net activity than I thought. On the other hand I finally got some email from recruiters offering me positions across the country in technologies I don't use. I think I'll just block them without responding.

I'm in Salem right now- salary permitting wife and I would like to move to the Portland area. Things are looking a bit better but I still have a long ways to go.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

null gallagher posted:

I'd just say thank you and probe about why the company is dragging its feet, just frame it as if there's something you can do. How you should handle this news depends on why you are leaving. If the company is super awesome but you just want to make more money then it sounds like you are on the right track. If there are other systemic problems is making more money going to help? I wouldn't hold my breath about the promotion unless you get a good reason for why there is a holdup, and what they are going to do to resolve the hold up. I'd also go to your scheduled interviews. Maybe someone else will hire you for a better paying job without the overhead of the promotion.

Your company owes you nothing and you owe them nothing.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

candy for breakfast posted:

Thanks for the info. Turns out I passed the phone screen and am going for an on-site interview near the end of the month :woop: I've been getting more contact with recruiters from the area who are giving me good options. I guess Portland is more of a hotbed for .net activity than I thought. On the other hand I finally got some email from recruiters offering me positions across the country in technologies I don't use. I think I'll just block them without responding.

I'm in Salem right now- salary permitting wife and I would like to move to the Portland area. Things are looking a bit better but I still have a long ways to go.

Congrats! :) Yeah there's quite a bit of .NET up here but it's not really from the more visible companies so it can feel a bit sparse until you start digging/get help from recruiters.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

null gallagher posted:

At a previous job, I had my annual review and my boss said, "you've been really excellent but I put you down as, 'needs improvement' because if I rated you any higher we'd have to give you a raise and it's not in the budget." It was a pretty honest thing to tell me, and it helped me feel good about turning in my notice.

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014

gariig posted:

More stuff

Mniot posted:

Even more stuff

It's definitely not a money issue. I work at a huge, super bureaucratic financial. I'm interviewing someone next week, so we're not hurting for budget.

They're changing the titles of everyone on my team as part of this re-org/restructure, so my impression's that it's a big bureaucratic deal. I'm thinking that I'll go to my boss or his boss next week and ask what they're doing about it. And figure out a diplomatic way to remind him that every week I go without being promoted, I'm getting underpaid in their own admission, and I really don't like that.

Mostly I'm worried about managing the line between being assertive and pushing them to get this done, and being an obnoxious dick. You know, saying “hey, remember that every pay period that passes by is one I’m getting underpaid” a little more formally.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When my company delayed my pay review for two months I told them that I expected my increase to be backdated since it was through no fault of my own.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Mniot posted:

At a previous job, I had my annual review and my boss said, "you've been really excellent but I put you down as, 'needs improvement' because if I rated you any higher we'd have to give you a raise and it's not in the budget." It was a pretty honest thing to tell me, and it helped me feel good about turning in my notice.

Haha wow. At least he was honest I guess.

Tunga posted:

When my company delayed my pay review for two months I told them that I expected my increase to be backdated since it was through no fault of my own.

And what did they say about that?

Goddamn how dumb do you have to be to take good people for granted? And they wonder why they can't find/keep talent.

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014

HondaCivet posted:

Goddamn how dumb do you have to be to take good people for granted? And they wonder why they can't find/keep talent.

Yeah exactly. I was told a few months back after my performance review that I was doing a kickass job and that I'd be up for promotion soon. I didn't press my boss on that, and that's totally my fault. I think it caught him off guard when I asked him what he's doing about me not being promoted because of that.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Mniot posted:

My boss came to my review with the highest markings in every category, told me that she wasn't supposed to give out reviews that high, and then went and printed out a new form with lower markings and told me to sign that one.

I think she thought it was a nice gesture or something? Like "hey I can't put this down but you're doing a good job." At best I can take that as "our review process is a joke" and at worst you're actively loving me over by not giving me the review you think I deserve. It was probably the former considering said review took place in a hallway.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Could also just be "here is the performance review where I blow smoke up your rear end so you'll feel motivated and good about yourself and maybe like me a bit more, but here sign this real review that everyone else is going to see"

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

null gallagher posted:

They're changing the titles of everyone on my team as part of this re-org/restructure, so my impression's that it's a big bureaucratic deal. I'm thinking that I'll go to my boss or his boss next week and ask what they're doing about it. And figure out a diplomatic way to remind him that every week I go without being promoted, I'm getting underpaid in their own admission, and I really don't like that.

You must really like the job. To me this is way too much effort for a raise that won't beat what a new job will pay you.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Tunga posted:

Good luck with that. I mean that seriously. Not many places would consider honoring something like that.

This was years ago but I once had this job that I left, and one big reason being I had been given a promotion but not the raise that went with it (they had a standard pay structure at least for the low level poo poo I was doing back then). Six months like that went by but they were so dysfunctional that every time I brought it up to my supervisor... it was already a different supervisor because they rotated out like a carousel.

Shortly before I found another job and left, someone with some authority at that company said they would "get the backpay sorted out". That of course never came, but I had my new job and though the backpay was pretty substantial by that time I really just wanted to forget about that whole terrible loving experience at that place and just move on.

Some time later tax season rolled around and lo, the YTD $ on my last paycheck from them (which I'm so loving glad I had the presence of mind to keep and check on) was far below the stated income on the W2 they mailed me. So they never bothered about giving me a dime in backpay, but they sure as hell made sure I got taxed on all of it!

The phone call that followed was a slightly more cordial version of: "Hi assholes! You're gonna want to fix this loving immediately! :parrot:" and it sort of felt great. They wired me the full backpay the same day.

Don't give employers an inch, basically.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 6, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HondaCivet posted:

Bhaal posted:

Good luck with that. I mean that seriously. Not many places would consider honoring something like that.
Oh, this was months ago. They honored it without any argument. About six months previous a bunch of people all complained that they were all overdue by various amounts of time on their pay reviews (which were specifically dated in our contracts) and they'd all had the increases backdated so there was both a precedent and a legal justification for the demand when my turn came around.

They stopped putting this in the contracts recently.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 6, 2014

Tryptomine
Jan 28, 2010
Is the original post still being updated?
I'm interested in some advice on building a good/efficient portfolio.
Also should I just host some sort of webpage for that, or do up a list of things i've done, or what?

Thanks in advance!

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014

gariig posted:

You must really like the job. To me this is way too much effort for a raise that won't beat what a new job will pay you.

You're right. Especially since I screwed up salary negotiations when I got hired, and I'm sure the higher ups here know that.

Anyone know anything about working at hedge funds? A recruiter emailed me for a job at one and the interview's tomorrow. I'm sure the pay is awesome, but I don't really know anything about working at one.

Tryptomine posted:

Is the original post still being updated?
I'm interested in some advice on building a good/efficient portfolio.
Also should I just host some sort of webpage for that, or do up a list of things i've done, or what?

Thanks in advance!

Put whatever personal-interest projects you have on GitHub, and link it on your resume up with your contact info. When you list out the projects on your resume/linkedin, put links to their repos on there too.

null gallagher fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

null gallagher posted:

Anyone know anything about working at hedge funds? A recruiter emailed me for a job at one and the interview's tomorrow. I'm sure the pay is awesome, but I don't really know anything about working at one.

Depends on the hedge fund. Do you have any knowledge/experience with various financial instruments, or at least a strong desire to learn? If not, pay may be decidedly less awesome. For example, if you have an assignment/story to develop graphical representations of a comparison between different CDX tranches, how hosed are you going to be if they need it next week?

It's a fast-paced environment. Best practices will always take a back door to getting things done for a trader who just made $200mm using your software. Some hedge funds may move slower, but these tend to be shrinking anyways.

Be awesome, finance is very elitist. Talk fast and have a big dick to swing around. Negotiate hard, finance is not a place for the weak and you may in fact end up getting paid under market if you fail. Someone getting taken advantage of in finance is something everyone else laughs about.

Of course, you could have a different experience than I did, but I worked at two different hedge funds and they were fairly similar.