Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I almost feel like the worst part of it is the pitch sequence. They threw inside, he avoided it. They then threw a slider low and away, which I took to mean "ok, you got the message, let's play baseball now," and I think Cutch did, too. Then the middle-finger-point got him drilled in the spine, and here we are. Dirty poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This was the Diamondbacks dugout's response when one of their pitchers got ejected for throwing at Ryan Braun:

The next batter was Jonathan Lucroy, who hit a grand slam, his second dinger of the game. The Diamondbacks lost.

So not only is their poo poo injuring opposing players, it's costing the Diamondbacks wins. It's beyond stupid.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Matt Thornton is a Natinal

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think it's fairly obvious the Dbacks could not give a poo poo about wins.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Obligatory reminder that the Diamondbacks made moves in the offseason with the intention of winning their division.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Rand alPaul posted:

This was the Diamondbacks dugout's response when one of their pitchers got ejected for throwing at Ryan Braun:

The next batter was Jonathan Lucroy, who hit a grand slam, his second dinger of the game. The Diamondbacks lost.

So not only is their poo poo injuring opposing players, it's costing the Diamondbacks wins. It's beyond stupid.

Not that I give a poo poo about the D-Backs, but I wouldn't be surprised if all dugouts did this after an ejection - I'm too lazy to find out for sure though

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ColdBlooded posted:

Not that I give a poo poo about the D-Backs, but I wouldn't be surprised if all dugouts did this after an ejection - I'm too lazy to find out for sure though

I could see maybe for an ejection for arguing with the umpire or something, but for intentionally hitting a guy with a baseball, I doubt it.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I could see maybe for an ejection for arguing with the umpire or something, but for intentionally hitting a guy with a baseball, I doubt it.

I don't think most players object to beanball as such. I think most of them still buy into the unwritten rules stuff, if not to the psychotic extent that the Dbacks do.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'd be kind of surprised if it wasn't generally like that. If we're thinking about 'approved' beanings by the manager or whatever the guy is just doing his job. Sure his job is dumb and stupid, but retaliation for whatever perceived wrong caused the situation is probably looked on pretty favorably in the clubhouse.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
i don't get singling out the DBacks. Every team does the same thing basically.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Have to start taking a stand somewhere.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I can't believe the psychotic Dbacks use the HBP against innocent teams like the Pirates!!!

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ers=0&sort=20,d

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Schweinhund posted:

I can't believe the psychotic Dbacks use the HBP against innocent teams like the Pirates!!!

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ers=0&sort=20,d

Every hit by pitch has retaliation written on it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The issue isn't with hitting people because that happens, but hitting people with malicious intent. Are you saying all of the Pirates HBP were made maliciously?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Harlock posted:

The issue isn't with hitting people because that happens, but hitting people with malicious intent. Are you saying all of the Pirates HBP were made maliciously?

I'd rather be hit 32 times on purpose than 61 times accidentally.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

It would have been interesting to see if there was this outrage if kershaw hurt holliday when he drilled him after the break on purpose, im guessing no.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Schweinhund posted:

Accidental HBP are frequently on failed breaking pitches, rather than 90+ MPH fastballs aimed at a person, so your mileage may vary.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Schweinhund posted:

They don't do it in a row, all to the same person.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ALFbrot posted:

Accidental HBP are frequently on failed breaking pitches, rather than 90+ MPH fastballs aimed at a person, so your mileage may vary.

My favorite is when some guy will stare down the pitcher while walking slowly to first base after getting hit with 70 mph curve or something.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schweinhund posted:

Really? I'm guessing most accidental hit-by-pitches are grazing the jersey, offspeed pitches that get away, and getting hit in the legs.

Intentional hit-by-pitches are 95mph gas like what Delgado broke McCutchen's ribs with, or poo poo thrown at the head. No way you'd want that over a curveball that slips.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm still waiting to see a substantiated report that McCutch broke a rib.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Schweinhund posted:

Again, you are failing to see the issue we have here. HBP's happen; control issues, bad curveballs, slipping a bit on a pitch inside. But the ones that come from retaliation are entirely purposeful and don't need to happen. Why risk the extra possible injury because you want to get a guy back? It's so dumb.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Boon posted:

I'm still waiting to see a substantiated report that McCutch broke a rib.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2014/08/05/McCutchen-has-rib-cartilege-injury-Pirates-say/stories/201408050186

edit: I guess that's not technically a fractured rib, but I once suffered a costochondral separation, and I can tell you that it probably hurts just as bad. I separated mine by sneezing, but had taken a very heavy knee to the exact spot of it playing football earlier in the day.

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 5, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Again, you are failing to see the issue we have here. HBP's happen; control issues, bad curveballs, slipping a bit on a pitch inside. But the ones that come from retaliation are entirely purposeful and don't need to happen. Why risk the extra possible injury because you want to get a guy back? It's so dumb.

Not to mention there's almost a guarantee there will be retaliation. Or the other team might beat the hell out of your team and then go play in your pool.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Grittybeard posted:

My favorite is when some guy will stare down the pitcher while walking slowly to first base after getting hit with 70 mph curve or something.

Didn't Barry Zito throw at Prince Fielder after that walkoff celebration he did? I bet that 84 mph heat really showed him

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
We can all talk about how this does or doesn't belong in the sport, but seeing as how nobody involved in the sport seems to be in a hurry to get rid of it, let's take it as a given that beanballs will continue to be a part of baseball, because that's how it'll be until someone in the league actually does something. Given that, I believe that not all beanballs are created equal.

First, there are the obvious message balls: these are fast-, but not super-fast-, balls that generally hit a batsman on the side. Often, the batter is expecting, or at least isn't too surprised, by this kind of pitch. The intent isn't to hurt, it's to send a message. The message is received, and the batter takes first. The batter won't be happy about it, and the pitcher may get tossed, but it is what it is--again, because the league won't do anything about it--and most ballplayers seem to accept this as part of the game.

But then, you have the dangerous message balls. These like to find the batter's head (the true, bona-fide beanball), which at any speed is not acceptable. Or, they don't find the head, but they're thrown excessively fast and due to this unnecessary speed (as we're not trying to throw a strike here), they injure the batter. The difference between this beanball and the other one is that only the pitcher and maybe his manager think this is acceptable--nobody else ever seems to agree.

Something tells me that if you polled pro ballplayers, you'd find that they don't like but can live with the first kind of HBP, but that the second kind has to go. The problem is that you can't really get rid of one and not the other. Tony La Russa was never afraid to call for a beanball, but he would criticize his own pitchers if they almost hit an opposing batter's head. (I know because I actually saw him do that after a Cardinals game a few years back.) I honestly don't know how, or if, he's going to deal with this situation in Arizona, but if Cutch's injury is due to the HBP, then he may well do something. Say what you want about him, he's not a fan of seeing players get hurt.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

tarlibone posted:

We can all talk about how this does or doesn't belong in the sport, but seeing as how nobody involved in the sport seems to be in a hurry to get rid of it, let's take it as a given that beanballs will continue to be a part of baseball, because that's how it'll be until someone in the league actually does something. Given that, I believe that not all beanballs are created equal.

They made (a somewhat lovely) attempt to remove collisions at home plate this year because players have been getting injured recently due to them. Home plate collisions also used to be "part of the game" and nobody seemed to care. I don't understand why they wouldn't attempt to somehow fix the issue of retaliation beanballs that can possibly injure players as well. Stiffer suspensions, fines, etc etc.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They made (a somewhat lovely) attempt to remove collisions at home plate this year because players have been getting injured recently due to them. Home plate collisions also used to be "part of the game" and nobody seemed to care. I don't understand why they wouldn't attempt to somehow fix the issue of retaliation beanballs that can possibly injure players as well. Stiffer suspensions, fines, etc etc.

Proving it was done on purpose requires more evidence than "you can tell." Any player would appeal a suspension and try to force management to prove it was intentional, which they won't be able to do.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Could lead to more great quotes from Miguel Montero about his own pitcher having terrible control.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Oh, I agree with you, and largely because of this point: they did attempt to reduce those collisions by changing the rules, so you'd think that they might take a look at HBPs, too. But until they do something, it's just "part of the game." I'm not saying it's a good justification. It's just the one they seem to be using.

And so I guess Cutch's injury probably isn't related to the HPB? Well, if that's the case, then it doesn't really help McCutchen one way or the other, but the D-Backs have probably dodged a bullet. I expect the furor will die down if the injury isn't a result of a beanball, and Arizona will have to wait until they play the Dodgers again to try and force MLB to change the HBP rules.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Beaning guys for retribution isn't something unique to the D-Backs. I think we can all agree that it's dumb but I think lots of players view it as part of the game.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

tarlibone posted:

Oh, I agree with you, and largely because of this point: they did attempt to reduce those collisions by changing the rules, so you'd think that they might take a look at HBPs, too. But until they do something, it's just "part of the game." I'm not saying it's a good justification. It's just the one they seem to be using.

And so I guess Cutch's injury probably isn't related to the HPB? Well, if that's the case, then it doesn't really help McCutchen one way or the other, but the D-Backs have probably dodged a bullet. I expect the furor will die down if the injury isn't a result of a beanball, and Arizona will have to wait until they play the Dodgers again to try and force MLB to change the HBP rules.

I think it's a lot more likely that it's directly related than when it was presumed to be an oblique strain.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I'll PayPal one of you 5 bux to take an 80 mph pitching machine pitch to the body

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Scob posted:

It would have been interesting to see if there was this outrage if kershaw hurt holliday when he drilled him after the break on purpose, im guessing no.

hahahaha. There's a tremendous difference. This was one time one pitcher lost control and the D-Backs responded by going up and in on the team's best player. This was not three pitchers with huge fastballs hitting the same batter three times. And the "retaliation" in the Kershaw one was a 90 mph fastball to the butt.

Players make a huge distinction of HBPs because high and inside is extremely dangerous. There's a huge potential for broken hands, broken ribs, and that's if you're lucky. You're threatening the guy's livelihood and physical health. This is why pitchers with great fastballs and no command should probably learn command better than missing two feet up and in.

Hanley has been hit by a pitch three separate times in like 10 games in the past 12 months against the Cardinals. All three were high and inside and two were faster than 98 miles per hour. In "retaliation" after the first three, Clayton Kershaw, one of the best control pitchers in baseball, threw a 90-mph fastball at Matt Holliday's butt. Holliday missed no time. If anything, it showed retaliation is impotent.

Would it have been better if the Dodgers put up Jose Dominguez, a pitcher with a 98-mph fastball and no control, and asked him to hit the high and inside corner of the zone?

You can rationalize that any way you want to as a Cardinals fan (I know you will because you're all mob wives), but hitting a team's best players with fastballs, intentional or not, is absolutely a market inefficiency and will be until the league steps in.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Wait what has been somewhat lovely about it? It seems that collisions are way down, I watch every Mariners game and can't think of one that has happened all year, off the top of my head.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The Diamondbacks are the only organization lately to engage in top-to-bottom public dickwaving about how much they loving love beanballs so y'all trying to make excuses for why they're being singled out are being kinda disingenuous.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Deteriorata posted:

Proving it was done on purpose requires more evidence than "you can tell." Any player would appeal a suspension and try to force management to prove it was intentional, which they won't be able to do.

But when there are suspensions for things like this, the worst-case scenario is that a starter gets moved back a few days, which is completely useless as a deterrent.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ColdBlooded posted:

Beaning guys for retribution isn't something unique to the D-Backs. I think we can all agree that it's dumb but I think lots of players view it as part of the game.

If we all agree that it's dumb--including many players (some of whom were run out of town by the DBacks org for expressing such an opinion)--why can't something be done about it?

Who cares if Arizona's not the only club that does it? You have to start somewhere, and this is a cut-and-dry case of a lovely organization calling for a revenge HBP that injured the league MVP in the midst of a pennant race. Montero flipped the bird to the pitcher. That was the signal to hit him.

There is nothing mysterious about this, and MLB is missing a great opportunity to try and remove what really boils down to assault.

Pitcher suspensions insufficiently long? Then lengthen them. gently caress pitchers that do this; let 'em miss 3 starts and 2 weeks worth of pay. If the Player's Union doesn't agree to "we're trying to lengthen your careers by keeping you from being injured" then they're fools.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Nick Rivers posted:

Wait what has been somewhat lovely about it? It seems that collisions are way down, I watch every Mariners game and can't think of one that has happened all year, off the top of my head.

The vagueness of the rule has resulted in some truly insane outcomes after lengthy reviews on totally clean plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Nick Rivers posted:

The implementation of it has not been great. Resulting in a ton of arguing with umpires and bad/dumb calls. I guess it has done it's job though, as collisions at home do seem to be down.

• Locked thread