Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Allright, if I wanted to throw $100 or whatever at a Roland Midi Synth to dick around with for five minutes because I am just beyond caring what retro hardware costs me at this point, what model should I get, and how do I go about using it with my Win 7 machine? Is it as easy as MT-32 and a USB-MIDI cable?

I don't know one Roland from another, but I see some are designed to be rack-mounted and some are designed for table top.
If it matters, I use a SB X-Fi in my Win 7 machine when I don't use the HDMI audio from my GPU. I do have a bit of Pentium 2 era hardware still, including stacks of SB Lives and AWE64s. It's just that I checked a FAQ on Bethesda's SkyNET today, and the 19 year-old who wrote it in 1997 mentioned a Roland Sound Canvas and now here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Haven't watched this video yet, but it should hold the answers you seek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXBZwKhqi4

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Keep in mind that for Doom, you probably want the Roland SC-55 instead.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Copper Vein posted:

Allright, if I wanted to throw $100 or whatever at a Roland Midi Synth to dick around with for five minutes because I am just beyond caring what retro hardware costs me at this point, what model should I get, and how do I go about using it with my Win 7 machine? Is it as easy as MT-32 and a USB-MIDI cable?

I don't know one Roland from another, but I see some are designed to be rack-mounted and some are designed for table top.
If it matters, I use a SB X-Fi in my Win 7 machine when I don't use the HDMI audio from my GPU. I do have a bit of Pentium 2 era hardware still, including stacks of SB Lives and AWE64s. It's just that I checked a FAQ on Bethesda's SkyNET today, and the 19 year-old who wrote it in 1997 mentioned a Roland Sound Canvas and now here we are.

I used to have that exact unit. A guy I worked with in the late 90's got it in exchange for pot, I bought it off him for $50, then sold it on ebay for $75 a few years later because I never got a MIDI box for it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Nice av!

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

After doing some reading and listening to some youtubes I have ordered an old MT-32 (without headphone jack) and a SC-55 (not MK2).

Looking forward to listening to Heretic E1M1 a whole bunch.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Copper Vein posted:

Looking forward to listening to Heretic E1M1 a whole bunch.

Why aren't you doing this already?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Here's a couple of tube links with Duke3D midi being played on different synth hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFX63IGmbwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5E4DYNnn_s

I find it fascinating how even with the high end synths, they vary with their own positives and drawbacks. The Yamaha MU80 sample, for instance, seems to have weaker guitar sounds than the Rolands, but the percussion is much heavier.

I guess 90's MIDI synth solutions are a real... *puts on sunglasses* ...grabbag.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I experiment with different balances of different MIDI soundfonts for the songs I do on the best of midi tumblr: http://bestofmidi.tumblr.com/tagged/fishmech

:v:

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Hopefully this constitutes an early FPS since it uses idTech 3, but I've been replaying Jedi Outcast for the first time in years and I can't get over how hard it is. I don't know if it's because I don't have the saber yet, but I'm on the fifth level where you have to protect some prisoners and it's seriously mindbogglingly hard for me. I'm legit speedrunning - bunny hops and all - to the turret the section seems to want me to use but no matter what I do, the prisoners die every single time. It sucks because I remember this is the last lovely bit before the game picks up big time.

Anyone else remember dealing with this?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I just shot everyone with a blaster rifle, I didn't bother with the turrets until the AT-ST's started coming in.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

supergayboy posted:

Hopefully this constitutes an early FPS since it uses idTech 3, but I've been replaying Jedi Outcast for the first time in years and I can't get over how hard it is. I don't know if it's because I don't have the saber yet, but I'm on the fifth level where you have to protect some prisoners and it's seriously mindbogglingly hard for me. I'm legit speedrunning - bunny hops and all - to the turret the section seems to want me to use but no matter what I do, the prisoners die every single time. It sucks because I remember this is the last lovely bit before the game picks up big time.

Is it this part, where you have to basically be lucky with the turret when dealing with the AT-STs?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

supergayboy posted:

Jedi Knight was hard as balls I remember, but Outcast wasn't so bad. (And Dark Forces was kinda in-between?)

It is an old school FPS so savescumming is kinda required.

Is it really that long until you get the saber? I remember having it in the beginning level... nope that was just my own warped memory. You don't get it till Yavin halfway through. Yeah I think I just savescummed like crazy as a kid. Also there's hidden health kits like everywhere, so if you explore more you're rewarded. Its old school FPS level design for sure.

Tippis posted:

Is it this part, where you have to basically be lucky with the turret when dealing with the AT-STs?

Oh man I remember this now. This was awful, yeah. Ugh.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Tippis posted:

Yeah that's it alright. I just finished failing it again a few times and it's such a bummer. Might be worse than usual because I chose a higher difficulty. Half-inclined to just skip the map and start playing the good bits since I am apparently no jailbreaker. :negative:

But this is incredibly old school. There's been many times where I've had to super save scum because I'm extremely close to death and am running low on ammo. In the previous level, I had to restart several times right at the beginning because I had like 2 health and would get dropped within the first couple of seconds unless I did exactly the right thing.

On top of that, I think the start of this game is especially weak because the shooting doesn't feel all that swell. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but the projectiles seem very lethargic and generally weak (barring the Bowcaster but even that feels iffy sometimes). It's kind of a shame they give you the more interesting weapons after you get the saber.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The shots are really slow, but at least the stormtroopers have a nice big head for you to miss repeatedly. It gets a lot better once you get force powers and can just force heal brute force your way through.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

I played through Jedi Outcast a few years ago and found it oddly difficult before getting the saber. Very few health and ammo pickups.

Then I realized the glowing boxes scattered around the levels were health and ammo recharge stations. Sigh.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jedi Knight is always easier with a lightsaber. It's for this reason I remember Dark Forces being the hardest, and also it having the more complicated puzzles. The Jedi Outcast story picks up where Mysteries of the Sith left off: Kyle turned to the darkside, so after Mara brings him back, he swears off the whole force thing and just goes back to being a regular rebel spy/smuggler.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I wish i could get Dark Forces 2/MOTS working in modern Windows, I loved that game when it was new.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I remember playing the demo version of Outcast with a friend. Demo actually had an exclusive level, which was not in the full game (but you could just download it and run as an add-on), and it was really fun. We had little competition who will finish the lightsaber duel faster :V

Actually bought the full game few years ago, but drat the opening level is ridicolously hard. And if I remember correctly, there are only checkpoints, so no savescumming :( Raven Software was an amazing developer, but some design choices they have pulled are still puzzling.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I used to play hours of lightsaber fighting in Jedi Outcast. It was just so goddamned fun and satisfying, and the AI usually put up a considerable fight. Just kill or get killed, and then reload the save and go again.

Actually, that game was awesome in general, and I was pleasantly surprised how well it looked and ran on an 800 Mhz CPU and nVidia GeForce 2.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't remember which game had the dinosaur dude as the antagonist, but I used to spend a long time using cheats to set up badass fights in that game. Even setting up a fight between two AI characters was awesome.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I can't remember which game had the dinosaur dude as the antagonist, but I used to spend a long time using cheats to set up badass fights in that game. Even setting up a fight between two AI characters was awesome.

I had to look it up, but you're probably talking about "Desann". Had a purple T-Rex head.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Oh man, I was digging through old boxes off stuff a few weeks ago and found my Jedi Knight box. The one that came with MotS and made no sense because it looked like this:

yeah, fighting Darth Vader was def. the best part of the game.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

I wish i could get Dark Forces 2/MOTS working in modern Windows, I loved that game when it was new.
It would be cool if somebody would do a source port, I just don't know if there's enough interest. Some of the work should already be done because they share some internals with Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island which have the Residual project.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There are a few people who want to, but there's just enough stuff that they don't know about the Sith engine that makes it impossible to do. Jedi Outcast/Academy has a functional source port though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

yeah, fighting Darth Vader was def. the best part of the game.

Yeah I have this box, still with the great manuals. :whatup:

The box isn't entirely false advertising though. MotS added character models from the movies to multiplayer, and more importantly a tonne of fantastic levels too. Also there was actually a hidden level of sorts in MotS that was based on the Cloud City scene from Empire Strikes Back, where you fight Vader as Luke. It's pretty great. While we're on the subject, I'll say that Mysteries of the Sith is totally worth a play through if you haven't yet.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 6, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Elliotw2 posted:

Jedi Outcast/Academy has a functional source port though.

Do they? I knew the code was released, but I was unaware of a port being worked on.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yep, though it only really supports Jedi Academy or Jedi Outcast multiplayer. Jedi Outcast's singleplayer apparently has a lot of tricks so it's buggy.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Jedi Outcast is the only FPS I can think of that I've played all the way through more than once. That prison break thing is really just bullshit.

Can it really be called a first person shooter? Only the first couple levels are. Once you get the lightsaber, there's no reason to go back.

There's nothing more awesome than stabbing the dude behind you so hard, that his entire body falls apart.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I've never actually played any of the Dark Forces or Jedi Knight games. I should probably fix that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I like Dark Forces, but I play on the XL Engine, and good Lord have I been waiting for an update for a long while now. I mean, the guy doing it seems to actually be doing stuff, but the release of the next version is "just around the corner," and has been for like, two years now.

At least it works pretty well already, though I have no idea if it's actually 100% completable yet.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mogomra posted:

Jedi Outcast is the only FPS I can think of that I've played all the way through more than once. That prison break thing is really just bullshit.

Can it really be called a first person shooter? Only the first couple levels are. Once you get the lightsaber, there's no reason to go back.

There's nothing more awesome than stabbing the dude behind you so hard, that his entire body falls apart.

Yes, but in contrast, it also had the forced stealth section, which was also just bullshit. Now, granted, you could just try to camp the alarm button on that one and murder everything very loudly, but that just made it more idiotic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

catlord posted:

I like Dark Forces, but I play on the XL Engine, and good Lord have I been waiting for an update for a long while now. I mean, the guy doing it seems to actually be doing stuff, but the release of the next version is "just around the corner," and has been for like, two years now.

At least it works pretty well already, though I have no idea if it's actually 100% completable yet.

Pretty sure it still crashes when you pick up a late-game weapon with an alt-fire because alt-fires aren't implemented yet and cause weapons with them to crash the game. There was also talks about at least one of the bosses not having any logic yet.

DarkXL is dead, since the author decided to concentrate on the much more ambitious DaggerXL first. Then decided to rewrite the engine from a collection of forks with changes into a single engine with game plugins. And then again from using DirectX to using OpenGL for better portability. Then adding a software renderer for a "pure" experience. Then messing with more Daggerfall optional features. Then stopping any and all development because of new job that leaves no free time at all, plus a few non-disclosed family issues. Then resuming work but this time focusing on complete reverse-engineering of Daggerfall's disassembly to recreate a pure Daggerfall exe which will serve to inform the creation of DaggerXL. Then changing development environment from Windows to Mac OS so as to use train commute time with an old MacBook.

Anyway, don't expect DarkXL to be feature complete any time soon.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You forgot to mention he's reverse engineering Blood and Outlaws to make them run in the engine too!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I can run Jedi Knight 1 on my desktop but on my laptop it won't show the HUD when I tweak it to work. Pressing the minus key won't work either. :(

Also the FMVs in JK1 have acting potentially on par with the Star Wars prequels.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Run it in software mode, that has the highest chance of actually running properly on every computer, though it's going to be ugly as gently caress.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

You forgot to mention he's reverse engineering Blood and Outlaws to make them run in the engine too!

Nice! Blood needs more love.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

Not at the moment, he's not. Daggerfall über alles. Then Dark Forces. Blood and Outlaws will happen afterward (if ever...) and he also has other unrelated hobby projects.

For Blood, I'd rather bet on Randy 'Wait for Doomscript' Heit, he seems to be working faster.

randi posted:

I was taking a break from all things Doom and digging deep into the bowels of Blood.

randi posted:

I wouldn't go [as far as confirming ZBlood] at this time, but Blood is probably the Build game most suited for support by ZDoom. If I just add moving walls/sectors and overlapping sectors, everything else could probably be approximated closely enough. And I'd say the moving sectors stuff is probably already halfway there thanks to the current state of polyobjects.

Having to use DOSBox to play it is not so great, because all the HUD stuff flickers, at least for me with the configuration from GOG.

ZDoom changelog posted:

Fixed: Blood sprite rotations were overwritten by the Doom sprite rotations.
Fixed: Memory leak when loading Blood maps.
Fixed: None of the Blood ambient sounds were registered correctly
Correctly assign the sample rate for all Blood SFX formats; Blood can do 44100 Hz sounds!
Use Blood player starts; Blood's maps use thing types, much like Doom's, so getting its player starts is easy. There's no need to synthesize a start from the editor position like with other Build maps.
Don't weed out wall and floor sprites when spawning Build sprites
Set face/wall/floor flags from Build sprites
Q&D port of decal code to draw generic wall sprites

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's rad. Any kind of work to make Blood better is fine in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zeether posted:

Also the FMVs in JK1 have acting potentially on par with the Star Wars prequels.
I will love the cutscenes in Jedi Knight and Rebel Assault II till I die.