Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Wayne Gretzky posted:

All of the poo poo that's been statistically proven to be either incidental to or a negative indicator for winning like big open ice hits, huge beasts from High River beating the poo poo out of each other in prearranged fights, coming back out on the ice all stitched up after a guy blocked a shot with his face, spearing guys in the nuts, beaking off, skating by the other bench after you whaled on a guy and doing the WWF belt hand-move, is the good part of hockey anyway so I dont give a poo poo about statistics.

Teams want to win, that's their stated goal, so they can and should do all the nerd poo poo they like but it's anathema to me because it's not conducive to my goal of being entertained by a slightly more civilized gladiator show

agreed but i also want to watch people with a blue and orange jersey win games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

jsoh posted:

Eh, I can take it or leave it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LumpyGumby posted:

The NHL just confirmed the Sharks and Kings will play in this years stadium series.

The Colorado/Minnesota game is jobbed again.

Are they having less than half the league playing outdoors this time?

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
The long-term problem with fancy stats based on shot attempts is that agents and players aren't loving stupid. You're already seeing bad contracts getting handed out to players based on their Corsi events. This behavior will lead to players stupidly firing pucks at the net in order to pad their fancystats and to agents encouraging them to do so (this is assuming that we're all naive and half the league doesn't already do this). Shot-based advanced stats are already approaching the end of their useful lifetime and everyone who is just jumping on the bandwagon has already missed out on the value.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I want a Winnipeg/Arizona Minnesota/Dallas Colorado/New Jersey Stadium Series. Winners keep the team statistics.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

jsoh posted:

Me, too.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002
I wish we could have another thread where it's bannable to talk about advanced stats and we only talk about feelings, grit, truculence and other intangibles. It's more fun to argue hockey over these things than actual verifiable data.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Grimby posted:

I wish we could have another thread where it's bannable to talk about advanced stats and we only talk about feelings, grit, truculence and other intangibles. It's more fun to argue hockey over these things than actual verifiable data.

Identifying strongly with an urge to control discourse and punish others for not engaging with you in an interesting way is psycho mate.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium* > August NHL N/V: Some dick cheese crying about Corsis

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Grimby posted:

There's only so much Jonathan Toews talk I can take

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Grimby posted:

There are many, many places on the internet where this is possible.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

All data is a factual statement of past events.

Corsi isn't much better than a coin flip at predicting future events. It's better, but not significantly enough for a normal person to care. It's not much better (and in some cases worse) than just using shot or goal differential.

That would be true only if performance and the events that accrue behind it (points, possession, etc.) were independent events (a fair coin flip isn't impacted by a prior fair coin flip). Players can have hot or cold streak, or you can generally expect a player who played well for 5 years to keep playing well.

The events in Hockey aren't independent events in the statistical sense (puck possession impacts chances of scoring, for example), and there is a given amount of predictability that can be tied over time to any of these. Now, shot/goal differential vs. corsi is another comparison, but the thing you're describing is the usual confidence you can have in statistics: how much correlation is there between the sequence of events I'm analyzing and the final results.

A coin toss -- a totally random variable -- gives you lovely predictability. How much better you are at predicting can be compared to this one, and methods to one another, with terms like Precision and Recall, for example.

Now Hockey isn't a closed system and people learn about the stats being observed, and game them. This means that they will usually be interpreted as a source of success when there isn't an obvious proof that what we have is just correlation. This leads to what Spamtron7000 mentioned (people blindly shoot at the net to raise their fancystats), where the predictive value of a metric gets devalued, and eventually, a different metric should come out with better capabilities.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

DOOMocrat posted:

So you'll be watching Colorado curiously this season as well. Should be fun. The stats crowd sure did call the Toronto collapse correctly.

Can fancystats take into account fear of Patrick Roy's wrath? Didn't think so, checkmate math nerds. :smuggo:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Chairman Wao posted:

Can fancystats take into account fear of Patrick Roy's wrath? Didn't think so, checkmate math nerds. :smuggo:

That's more a question of structural engineering.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Wayne Gretzky posted:

All of the poo poo that's been statistically proven to be either incidental to or a negative indicator for winning like big open ice hits, huge beasts from High River beating the poo poo out of each other in prearranged fights, coming back out on the ice all stitched up after a guy blocked a shot with his face, spearing guys in the nuts, beaking off, skating by the other bench after you whaled on a guy and doing the WWF belt hand-move, is the good part of hockey anyway so I dont give a poo poo about statistics.

Teams want to win, that's their stated goal, so they can and should do all the nerd poo poo they like but it's anathema to me because it's not conducive to my goal of being entertained by a slightly more civilized gladiator show

I'd consider it an interesting social experiment if it weren't for those tough kids from Yellow Grass ending up filling diapers after the age of 45. That's where we're split though, so eh.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Spamtron7000 posted:

The long-term problem with fancy stats based on shot attempts is that agents and players aren't loving stupid. You're already seeing bad contracts getting handed out to players based on their Corsi events. This behavior will lead to players stupidly firing pucks at the net in order to pad their fancystats and to agents encouraging them to do so (this is assuming that we're all naive and half the league doesn't already do this). Shot-based advanced stats are already approaching the end of their useful lifetime and everyone who is just jumping on the bandwagon has already missed out on the value.

yes but see shooting percentages will regress towards last years mean and

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Spamtron7000 posted:

You're also seeing Brooks Orpik 5.5/5 based on Grit And Intangibles. I don't think we've gone full on into the Age of Fancystats just yet, which is why I was saying it'll be interesting to see if the NHL itself starts running primers of corsi or mentioning it in broadcasts. Once that happens, that's going to be when agents start telling players to pad their fancystats

It's also worth noting that corsi itself only exists as an attempt to quantify possession, because unlike in soccer, in hockey it's much more difficult to say "this team has held the puck for this amount of time." In order to take a garbage point shot to pad your own fancystats your team still needs to have the puck in the first place

e: also, kind of just curious, but can you cite some examples of GMs saying they secured (overpaid) players because they drive possession? The only one I know for sure is Stralman, who really just played the market well as one of the few available UFA d-men who wasn't Brooks Orpik

Vicas fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 6, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think in the case of Orpik you also get this entrenched idea that old veteran players shouldn't be taking a paycut even as their skills decline

Orpik is respected around the league for some unknown reason so of course no one's going to say "dude is probably worth $2 mill/year tops". It's really hard to shift a guys salary downwards especially if they're an UFA (unless you're Lee Stempniak)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Subban's contract is overvalued because he pads his corsi by waiting with the puck behind the net while there are line changes !!

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Grimby posted:

Let's not make ourselves an xbone hug box/shark tank situation here.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Vicas posted:

e: also, kind of just curious, but can you cite some examples of GMs saying they secured (overpaid) players because they drive possession? The only one I know for sure is Stralman, who really just played the market well as one of the few available UFA d-men who wasn't Brooks Orpik

Most of the guys the Oilers signed this summer are fancy stat heroes I think

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Vicas posted:

No - I don't read enough GM quotes to have that but the Clarkson deal will always leaving me scratching my head. They MUST have been using CF Rel to gauge his value because what the gently caress happened there?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Levitate posted:

I think in the case of Orpik you also get this entrenched idea that old veteran players shouldn't be taking a paycut even as their skills decline

Orpik is respected around the league for some unknown reason so of course no one's going to say "dude is probably worth $2 mill/year tops". It's really hard to shift a guys salary downwards especially if they're an UFA (unless you're Lee Stempniak)

This is astute. A player's value being cut in half from his last contract is just not the way things go when talking about a Cup-winning veteran with a good reputation around the league. GM's often pay for experience and intangibles and wouldn't tell a guy like Orpik, "well you're garbage now."

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Wayne Gretzky posted:

Most of the guys the Oilers signed this summer are fancy stat heroes I think

Yeah Fayne and Pouliot for sure but those two were also carried by their linemates. Fayne is solid but without Andy Greene he was dramatically worse.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

This is astute. A player's value being cut in half from his last contract is just not the way things go when talking about a Cup-winning veteran with a good reputation around the league. GM's often pay for experience and intangibles and wouldn't tell a guy like Orpik, "well you're garbage now."

With Orpik I think there's probably some kind of irrational love affair there, too. McLellan specifically targeted him subjectively without paying much attention to his market value. He's the guy they wanted based on their situation and they went after him. I can see him being a good foil for Green, Niskanen or Orlov so I hope they're right but they could definitely have landed a better player/value by valuing him more objectively.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Spamtron7000 posted:

No - I don't read enough GM quotes to have that but the Clarkson deal will always leaving me scratching my head. They MUST have been using CF Rel to gauge his value because what the gently caress happened there?

Nonis saying at the time that CF and CF rel are for nerdy babies leads me to think otherwise.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Yeah, and in a league with 30 teams all it takes is 1 GM willing to pay it. If you're lucky enough to get 2 you can spin up a bidding war. But the point is I don't think we're at the point where fancystats have an undue pull on players and the contracts that they're earning

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Yeah Fayne and Pouliot for sure but those two were also carried by their linemates. Fayne is solid but without Andy Greene he was dramatically worse.
Dellow himself wrote 2 articles about how good Pouliot was based on his possession across several teams, and how happy he was with the signing.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Rene Bork posted:

Nonis saying at the time that CF and CF rel are for nerdy babies leads me to think otherwise.

Ok that's fine. Even so I think it's fair to assume that advanced stats have at least started to affect the market for some players. Maybe it's possible Nonis wanted Clarkson for other reasons but his advanced stats increased his demand around the league which helped to drive his asking price higher? It's just a hypothesis. I think advanced stats have already driven demand, which drives prices. And in the future I'm sure that it will be the case and then people will just start calling players who shoot too much Puck Hogs again.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I don't know why Devils fans of all people keep harping about Fayne's stats away from Greene. He had 246 5v5 minutes away from Greene last season with a 47% CF%. But in the lockout season he had 267 minutes away from Greene with a 61% CF%. Which one of those small samples of minutes with elite defenders like old man time Bryce Salvador and Peter "Who? Him?" Harold is more meaningful?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
There were Toronto fancy stat bloggers calling Clarkson a 'puck hog' and 'chucker' before he signed. I don't think there are as many of these look-at-one-number people as we appear to be afraid there are.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Spamtron7000 posted:

Ok that's fine. Even so I think it's fair to assume that advanced stats have at least started to affect the market for some players. Maybe it's possible Nonis wanted Clarkson for other reasons but his advanced stats increased his demand around the league which helped to drive his asking price higher? It's just a hypothesis. I think advanced stats have already driven demand, which drives prices. And in the future I'm sure that it will be the case and then people will just start calling players who shoot too much Puck Hogs again.

I guess we'd start by finding out what players' agents are saying about their clients in contract talks.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Dellow himself wrote 2 articles about how good Pouliot was based on his possession across several teams, and how happy he was with the signing.

I mean...I don't really know what I'd expect out of Pouliot with the Oilers. I think he benefited a lot from playing with Brassard and Zucc, though he probably helped that somewhat by being the guy on the line who would shoot the puck for sure. Who'd he play with a lot in Boston and his other stops?

My impression from the Rangers is that he wasn't the guy making his line work but he didn't hurt it either...in the right situation he's good. He's still a 38 point player though and that's with power play time

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spamtron7000 posted:

He's also a big Ontario boy who scored 30 in 80 and 15 in 48. I don't think it was just the possession stuff.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Spamtron7000 posted:

it hasn't happened and even if it did it would just mean that undervalued players become overvalued while a different set of players become undervalued and smart teams adjust. basically nobody who isn't an idiot doesn't think you should take a player based solely on their corsi stats without any context at all, it's why dellow spent the last year watching zone entries and writing about faceoffs.

e: my impression of pouliot with the canadiens was that he wasn't very good. he is kind of the perfect test case of fancystats versus the eye test.

e2: also how are we now re-writing history to say that clarkson was signed because of his fancystats when all the fancystats people viciously mocked the signing when it happened

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 6, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My impression of Clarkson before he came to Toronto was that he was a crease-crashing goalscorer and occasional agitating shithead. Kind of like a good Tronna boy version of Holmstrom. I just can't understand why pro scouts/GMs ignored the fact that he doesn't have much natural skill, can't pass worth a poo poo, and can barely skate. Did he fall down a lot in Jersey too? Because he's at least as bad as Hartnell in that regard and can't even throw a decent hit or shelter the puck properly.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yes he always falls down a lot because he can't skate for poo poo

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The teams who are hiring advanced stats experts obviously think they are important. So what is the value in bringing that type of element into your organization if it's not in trying to implement advanced stats into determining your team's composition? The more teams do this, the more Corsi and Fenwick will drive demand for certain players. Higher demand will equal higher price. I don't think that idea is anything too controversial.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Levitate posted:

Who'd he play with a lot in Boston and his other stops?

Kelly, Peverley, Caron and Rolston in that order.

Primarily Kelly, who had the best season of his career that year. The 3rd spot was a split between the other 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Spamtron7000 posted:

The teams who are hiring advanced stats experts obviously think they are important. So what is the value in bringing that type of element into your organization if it's not in trying to implement advanced stats into determining your team's composition? The more teams do this, the more Corsi and Fenwick will drive demand for certain players. Higher demand will equal higher price. I don't think that idea is anything too controversial.

nobody is saying it is, i just don't understand why this is a bad thing. if they become overvalued than smart teams will just adjust the metrics they use and find something else, which has happened in baseball after the big money teams like the yankees and red sox jumped in on on base percentage etc.

e: and shooting loads sure has helped ovechkin's corsi out, imagine how bad it would be if he didn't shoot so much?

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 6, 2014

• Locked thread