Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
So donating $30 to him for OutlawsXL was a mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Some weird freaked out on him for borrowing a heightmap he'd made of Cyrodil.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cat Mattress posted:

Pretty sure it still crashes when you pick up a late-game weapon with an alt-fire because alt-fires aren't implemented yet and cause weapons with them to crash the game. There was also talks about at least one of the bosses not having any logic yet.

DarkXL is dead, since the author decided to concentrate on the much more ambitious DaggerXL first. Then decided to rewrite the engine from a collection of forks with changes into a single engine with game plugins. And then again from using DirectX to using OpenGL for better portability. Then adding a software renderer for a "pure" experience. Then messing with more Daggerfall optional features. Then stopping any and all development because of new job that leaves no free time at all, plus a few non-disclosed family issues. Then resuming work but this time focusing on complete reverse-engineering of Daggerfall's disassembly to recreate a pure Daggerfall exe which will serve to inform the creation of DaggerXL. Then changing development environment from Windows to Mac OS so as to use train commute time with an old MacBook.

Anyway, don't expect DarkXL to be feature complete any time soon.

Well, that explains a lot. I believe alt-fire is in though, but the key's not bindable. I believe it's 'x.' Thanks for the explanation, it certainly explains why it's been so long.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Whoa, apparently I own all the Jedi Knight games on Steam and forgot about them. Anything I need to know before I start playing Dark Forces 1 and 2?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Dark Forces 2 is a piece of poo poo that barely runs anymore, deal with the lovely software mode if that even works. You can install the TODOA mod to improve the graphics and install the fan patch that enables more resolutions and potentially fixes hardware mode on Windows 7 or older. This zip file will fix it if you get a black view port in hardware mode

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Thread got me all nostalgic because Dark Forces 2 was my jam when I was younger, I thought I'd try to play all of those but Dark Forces seemed like a pain in the rear end to get running. Here's hoping 2 will work!

Leaving so soon? :smug:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Dark Forces 1 is really easy, you just load that poo poo in DOSbox. Dark Forces 2 only kinda works on modern Windows, so it's a fight to get it to not crash instantly.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ugh, Dark Forces runs like poo poo in DOSbox. It runs at 20fps and any time I get shot or pick something up it takes the screen a whole second to draw the color overlay one line at a time. :wtc:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ugh, Dark Forces runs like poo poo in DOSbox. It runs at 20fps and any time I get shot or pick something up it takes the screen a whole second to draw the color overlay one line at a time. :wtc:

Yeah this is my experience with Dark Forces via DOSbox as well.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Dark Forces runs like poo poo in Steam's DOSBox setup because LucasArts screwed up the digital download release. I just copied the game folder from Steam into my folder-o-DOS-games and use vanilla, all-defaults DOSBox. Runs great. It does expect the game folder to be mounted as the C drive in DOS, so do that.

Also there's this thread with a suggested configuration, if you want to continue to run it from Steam.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can crank the cycles up to like 10000 or 15000 to fix that, or edit the conf file to set auto if you want.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Geight posted:

Yeah this is my experience with Dark Forces via DOSbox as well.

Quick googling found a configuration that uses DOSbox's built-in OpenGL renderer and disables XMS and EMS because they break the game's DOS extender. The cutscenes still run like rear end but the game runs perfectly fine.

code:
[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fullresolution=1280x800
output=openglnb
sensitivity=250

[cpu]
cycles=max

[dos]
xms=false
ems=false
umb=false

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Luigi Thirty posted:

It sounds like it's just accurately emulating my childhood experiences of playing Dark Forces on Mac with a 68k processor and 12mb of RAM :v:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Maybe I'll just try Dark Forces 1 because 2 doesn't want to function properly, even with that fan patch from the TC and the .dll to fix having a black screen. :smith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dark Forces was the last game that was better on Mac than PC because if you had a PowerPC CPU it would render at 640x480.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

YMMV of course but personally I didn't have much trouble at all getting Jedi Knight and MOTS running on my Win7 x64 system, in fact it mostly worked ok from the vanilla steam install. For JK I used Jedi Knight Enhanced and followed the guide here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/32380/discussions/0/846947320679873983/ - this thread also seems to address those having the missing hud issue.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Jedi_Knight_%E2%80%93_Dark_Forces_II also helped with some minor things.

There were some minor tweaks that I had to make in game with the console, can't quite remember what they were but they should be easy enough to figure out. Note that the cutscenes will always play windowed at their original resolution, afiak there's no way around that at all.

MOTS doesn't have anything like Jedi Knight Enhanced, but I think all I had to do was use the same ddraw.dll file along with the -windowgui and -displayconfig commands.

Question of my own, and this may be borderline but I dunno, it's eleven years old now - felt like getting my nostalgia on and playing some Nazi whack-a-mole with the original Call of Duty, but it absolutely refuses to run, will always quit with "could not load opengl". All googling gets me is ancient stuff from years ago, almost all having to do with ATI cards (using a nvidia card now). What is especially strange is that CoD:UO is also installed but runs absolutely fine. Anyone ever have to deal with this and figure it out?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

foozwak posted:

Question of my own, and this may be borderline but I dunno, it's eleven years old now - felt like getting my nostalgia on and playing some Nazi whack-a-mole with the original Call of Duty, but it absolutely refuses to run, will always quit with "could not load opengl". All googling gets me is ancient stuff from years ago, almost all having to do with ATI cards (using a nvidia card now). What is especially strange is that CoD:UO is also installed but runs absolutely fine. Anyone ever have to deal with this and figure it out?
I don't know if they bothered to make a PC version, but there was an "HD Re-Release" of the original CoD that came out alongside one of the recent ones, so that may be your best bet.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Lork posted:

I don't know if they bothered to make a PC version, but there was an "HD Re-Release" of the original CoD that came out alongside one of the recent ones, so that may be your best bet.
I'm pretty sure that was console exclusive unfortunately. I wish I could help but I recently reinstalled CoD1 and it ran perfectly fine on my computer so I've got nothing. v:shobon:v

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Doom: Unused Quit Messages

quote:

I'D LEAVE: THIS IS JUST MORE MONSTERS AND LEVELS. WHAT A LOAD.

IF YOU LEAVE, I'LL MAKE THE LORD DRINK MY JIZZ.

HEY, RON! CAN WE SAY 'gently caress' IN THE GAME?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The difference between Dark Forces 2 on Medium and Hard is pretty stark in the first level - The world is basically littered with shield belts and medkits on Medium, but if you want to stay anywhere near full health on Hard you'll need to hit every secret area you can. It's a fun challenge!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Dark Forces 2 engine is incredibly, incredibly ugly. It also seems to be capped at 2fps.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Dark Forces 2 engine is incredibly, incredibly ugly. It also seems to be capped at 2fps.

The game runs fine for me using the guide Foozwak linked, that TODOA stuff was just junk. As for ugly, maybe Jedi Knight Enhanced would work for you? I think that just adds better models to the game.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Geight posted:

The game runs fine for me using the guide Foozwak linked, that TODOA stuff was just junk. As for ugly, maybe Jedi Knight Enhanced would work for you? I think that just adds better models to the game.

Yeah I used the guide, the TODOA stuff just made it crash. It runs fine but movement is weird and jerky. And yeah the character models look worse than the Dark engine.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I ended up cheating to save the prisoners in Jedi Outcast. Who'd have thought that having a lightsaber and maximum block skill was all that you'd need. Feels goooood.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Insert name here posted:

I wish I could help but I recently reinstalled CoD1 and it ran perfectly fine on my computer so I've got nothing. v:shobon:v

Is yours the steam version or the disk version? I know that up until recently steam CoD:UO was hilariously broken, the top 2/3rds of the main menu would be from vanilla cod, the bottom 3rd from UO. Lots of issues with language packs as well. Could be activision being lazy or just my PC. It's just annoying because this is one of the very very few older games I haven't gotten to run on my pc, and even more annoying since UO runs fine. Oh well..

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah I used the guide, the TODOA stuff just made it crash. It runs fine but movement is weird and jerky. And yeah the character models look worse than the Dark engine.

Regarding the jerky movement, I think this might be vsync related. Also, really could have sworn that there was a console command for limiting framerate, but I'm coming up empty there. Anyway try turning on vsync through your cards control panel. This is just a shot in the dark since it's been months and months since I got it working and have since uninstalled it, but I'm pretty sure the issue has to do with one or the other.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So why in the hell does nQuake not let me fire my weapons when I load a saved singleplayer game?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

foozwak posted:

Is yours the steam version or the disk version? I know that up until recently steam CoD:UO was hilariously broken, the top 2/3rds of the main menu would be from vanilla cod, the bottom 3rd from UO. Lots of issues with language packs as well. Could be activision being lazy or just my PC. It's just annoying because this is one of the very very few older games I haven't gotten to run on my pc, and even more annoying since UO runs fine. Oh well..
Disk version for both base CoD and UO.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This talk reminds me that the first Call of Duty (and especially United Offensive) were genuinely quite good games. It's just funny what the franchise turned into.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The last great CoD was Modern Warfare. Unfortunately, when you strike gold you tend to mine the poo poo out of it.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7608-duke-craft/

A new userlevel for EDuke32 called Dukecraft - it's a fairly neat little map but if you're somehow not familiar with Minecraft it'll be lost on you. It's by Eddy zykov who's come back after a hiatus and he's done lots of other neat projects for Duke, so it's worth checking out.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I had such troubles getting dark forces to run well I just got the ps1 version.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've never had a problem getting Dark Forces to run under Dosbox. Although I've always installed it from the CD.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Ye gods, the fact that this thread is close to four hundred pages warms my heart.

On the subject of Brutal Doom, I'm of the mind that it's greatest addition to the game is the more intense, faster paced encounters rather than the gratuitous gore. I also like the damage zones because they allow you to quickly take down large threats or lots of weaker enemies so you can focus on the tougher stuff.

But of course I still love the old fashioned Doom; I'm currently playing through the megaWAD "Whispers of Satan" with my tweaked version of the Doom 3 weapons mod, and so far it's hitting all the right notes. I also recently played through Hell Awakened 2, Episode 1, which was mostly good Doom 64 inspired stuff, until the last few maps which amped up the BS quite a bit (room full of Revenants? My worst nightmare).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
What I do like most about Brutal Doom is how punchy and satisfying the weapons are, but I also like the gore just because of how silly it is. I mean, it's pretty cartoony and over the top, and it's just kind of the satisfying end result I like when I blast a room full of Imps with a rocket launcher and all these little bits go flying.

The funny thing is, you can go onto the ModDB page for Brutal Doom and download "mutators" that just remove a bunch of the lovely features that BD adds in. I roll with no reloading, no captured marines, and "easy monsters," which gets rid of most of the added monster behaviors (so no more bullshit Cacodemon rocket dodges). It plays closer to vanilla but it still has the really satisfying gun play.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Anyone have any advice on getting Quake in DOSBox to run at a reasonable pace? Normal CPU mode makes the game too choppy, Dynamic CPU mode makes it go way too fast. Adjusting cycles doesn't solve any of that.

I ask because I'm realizing that my only solution for Quake that looks like DOS Quake is to actually play DOS Quake. It's also made me realize that qbism Super8 looks nothing like software-mode Quake.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Quake in DOSbox seems to either run way too fast or perfectly, according to your processor. I can't find anything that can fix that. You might be able to leave it in Dynamic mode and use a slowdown program like moslo or whatever to get it right.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

RyokoTK posted:

What I do like most about Brutal Doom is how punchy and satisfying the weapons are, but I also like the gore just because of how silly it is. I mean, it's pretty cartoony and over the top, and it's just kind of the satisfying end result I like when I blast a room full of Imps with a rocket launcher and all these little bits go flying.

The funny thing is, you can go onto the ModDB page for Brutal Doom and download "mutators" that just remove a bunch of the lovely features that BD adds in. I roll with no reloading, no captured marines, and "easy monsters," which gets rid of most of the added monster behaviors (so no more bullshit Cacodemon rocket dodges). It plays closer to vanilla but it still has the really satisfying gun play.

Yeah, over the past few months, I've actually tweaked and combined parts from a few of these mutators to run on top of BD, so I can have it running exactly like I want. It's a nice occasional alternative to project MSX and Nazis! and a handful of other gameplay mods I run with.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

Anyone have any advice on getting Quake in DOSBox to run at a reasonable pace? Normal CPU mode makes the game too choppy, Dynamic CPU mode makes it go way too fast. Adjusting cycles doesn't solve any of that.

I ask because I'm realizing that my only solution for Quake that looks like DOS Quake is to actually play DOS Quake. It's also made me realize that qbism Super8 looks nothing like software-mode Quake.

Why don't you use WinQuake instead?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Superschaf posted:

Why don't you use WinQuake instead?

Mostly I wanted to see how DOS quake behaved. Really there was a niggle in the back of my head regarding how Super8 handles colors, since the coloration in that engine doesn't look anything like what I remembered from playing WinQuake.

The answer is is that Super8's attempt at making GL Quake look like Software Quake is kind of poo poo. Colors are too flat, shotgun has a weird green tint on it, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
When did you last play WinQuake in the first place? A long time ago on a CRT? Because that would have a pretty major effect on how everything looked, from not having the kind of resolution scaling stuff LCDs introduce to probably being set with different default color reproduction.