Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Glad I pledged the minimum for the game on Star Citizen. I did the same for Elite as well, but looks like I'll actually get to play that soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Christ Roberts sounds like Molyneux in that he promises the heavens and doesn't deliver. Remember all the cool poo poo that was supposed to be in Freelancer, or that big epic universe that was supposed to start with Starlancer?

At least Freelancer was fun. I sunk way too many hours in my modded copy with every spaceship ever.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Jordan7hm posted:

I am one of the people who would rather not see "living expenses" because it means nothing. You should still include the amount of money required for you to live though. I kind of assume that you have either in the kickstarter itself or in other funding / savings, and if you haven't, then what the gently caress are you doing and why are you trying to run a small business?
We included living expenses, and didn't catch any flack over it. The difference being, we didn't call them "living expenses," we just broke the expenses down by department. X to programmer, Y to artists, etc. That money went on to almost exclusively fund ramen et al, as does most income below a certain threshold, but people were apparently more comfortable with it because we didn't call it "living expenses".

People are weird, basically, and react differently depending on what the labels on your pie chart say.

(EDIT: we also GREATLY scaled down our living expenses, to where only one of us could afford to go full-time, etc - lots of tricks required to make a minimum of $20k stretch this long)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 6, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What is Star Citizen's gameplay, even? Isn't it just "fly around in some spaceships in an empty world after everybody gets bored after the first two hours and sometimes shoot some people"? Why does that need $49 million?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Slate Action posted:

In the final Message From the Chairman, 'Chris Roberts' pulls off his mask to reveal...John Romero.

"Looks like I finally made you all my bitch."

Would be even better if Chris Roberts was revealed to be...DEREK SMART.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Honestly I'm no game designer but I'm sure if they were smart Star Citizen would have been out already, even if it was bare-bones at first. Because then they could use the amount of money that rivals the GDP of some countries they collected to just fund new content updates every couple of months in order to keep the game alive because that's the most important thing for an MMO, to keep an active player base. But what I do know, I'm not Chris Roberts.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Agreed. I think this project had enough clout and interest and fame that it could've done the Minecraft as-you-go model really successfully. Instead they went "Booo! AAA gaming is lame because they wont fund our space game!" *becomes everything bad about AAA gaming*

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Shalinor posted:

We included living expenses, and didn't catch any flack over it. The difference being, we didn't call them "living expenses," we just broke the expenses down by department. X to programmer, Y to artists, etc. That money went on to almost exclusively fund ramen et al, as does most income below a certain threshold, but people were apparently more comfortable with it because we didn't call it "living expenses".

People are weird, basically, and react differently depending on what the labels on your pie chart say.

(EDIT: we also GREATLY scaled down our living expenses, to where only one of us could afford to go full-time, etc - lots of tricks required to make a minimum of $20k stretch this long)

Living expenses?

Can't you just get your mom to pay for that poo poo?

Way to get greedy, $halinor.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Arrrthritis posted:

Living expenses?

Can't you just get your mom to pay for that poo poo?

Way to get greedy, $halinor.

I know this is a joke, but boy did you choose the wrong one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

If anything her mother lives inside her now.

(I'm sorry for your loss, Shalinor)
:glomp:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Living expenses is a weird thing to put on there. What you spend your money on is your business. Maybe you're independantly wealthy, or have enough savings to live on for a year... does that mean I should kickstart you for less? Paying people for working on the project is not weird and is how it should be worded. If someone believes their time is worth 60k / year, and their contribution to the project is going to take a year, then they should have 60k as a minimum. Otherwise it's just going to fail, wasting a lot of people's money and probably really badly affecting someone's life.

ImpAtom posted:

It is immensely depressing to me that people will happily donate money to get some kind of lovely plastic knicknack but not so the person making the product they enjoy can goddamn eat.

Comments like this are dumb. If the person can't afford to work on the project they shouldn't ask others to waste their money on it either.

e: I like the way you guys did it Shalinor. That's what should be done. It's also important to take a hard look at what you'll make to determine if this is a viable full time gig, and if it's not, to adjust your ask or your expectations accordingly. Which you guys also did.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspicious Dish posted:

What is Star Citizen's gameplay, even? Isn't it just "fly around in some spaceships in an empty world after everybody gets bored after the first two hours and sometimes shoot some people"? Why does that need $49 million?

You're thinking of EVE

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Living expenses is a weird thing to put on there. What you spend your money on is your business. Maybe you're independantly wealthy, or have enough savings to live on for a year... does that mean I should kickstart you for less? Paying people for working on the project is not weird and is how it should be worded. If someone believes their time is worth 60k / year, and their contribution to the project is going to take a year, then they should have 60k as a minimum. Otherwise it's just going to fail, wasting a lot of people's money and probably really badly affecting someone's life.

Jordan7hm posted:

Comments like this are dumb. If the person can't afford to work on the project they shouldn't ask others to waste their money on it either.

So Kickstarters should totally include living expenses in their asks, but you shouldn't ask for living expenses if you can't already afford to work on the project yourself? What?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

He means just write it out as salary. What do I care what you spend your salary on?

If you're an indie though there's often no separation between personal and business finances so you might put "ramen" on your list of poo poo you bought for the project. Just put "salary for coding" or whatever.

At least that's the impression I got.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

odiv posted:

He means just write it out as salary. What do I care what you spend your salary on?

If you're an indie though there's often no separation between personal and business finances so you might put "ramen" on your list of poo poo you bought for the project. Just put "salary for coding" or whatever.

At least that's the impression I got.

This is part of it. I think what mutata pointed out is more addressed by this though: if you're not going to be able to eat if you don't get what you actually need to finish the project, then you should not be doing this (e: at this point in time) and you shouldn't waste other people's money on it either.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 6, 2014

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
It couldn't get any worse than Confederate Express. The brothers seem to have devoted 100% of its budget to living expenses.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Drifter posted:

(I'm sorry for your loss, Shalinor)
:glomp:
It's fine. Thanks. ;)

Mirificus posted:

It couldn't get any worse than Confederate Express. The brothers seem to have devoted 100% of its budget to living expenses.
This is just lovely :3:

Great Rumbler posted:

Would be even better if Chris Roberts was revealed to be...DEREK SMART.
So FUNNY STORY. I found out about this thanks to Derek Smart. He's a friend of a friend on Facebook or something. He was denouncing Chris Roberts / talking about how absurd the money was, because hey, he's ALSO making giant stupd-huge scope space games, and gets by on way the hell less.

Derek Smart posted:

He simply can't be serious.
The fact that he's now saying that it's not enough, proves the point that I made just a few months back about the burn rate, the risk of running out of money before shipping "the game" etc.
I admire and respect the guy - and love all his past games; but truly this is sheer madness.

When your budget/project/scope is so absurd that Derek Smart comes out against it, you've reached a truly special place. :allears:

EDIT: Oh, and that article pisses me off. That "$50 million isn't enough for a AAA game" line? Total bullshit. Castlevania: Lord of Shadow had a budget in the mid 40 mil's. Most AAA games have a budget between 30mil and 80mil. Only the MASSIVE projects, Destiny et al, creep up to 100/200mil, and that's because of the absurd waste that happens with projects of that scope. So no, they ARE at AAA budgets, and now they're saying they need more, because apparently the game HAS to be a Destiny or a GTA V. Made by a totally untried studio, helmed by a man that hasn't worked on a project of this scope in, well, ever. Yeah. That's just a fantastic idea. AAAGGGHHH.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 6, 2014

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

This is part of it. I think what mutata pointed out is more addressed by this though: if you're not going to be able to eat if you don't get what you actually need to finish the project, then you should not be doing this (e: at this point in time) and you shouldn't waste other people's money on it either.

So basically, ask for what you actually need to finish the project, including money to live on. Got it.

And also duh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Edit: Oh for gently caress's sake.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I'm still confused how Chris Roberts got 49 million dollars.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

People bought into the hype and found a support group that high fives each other for also buying into the hype.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

In happier Kickstarters-that-actually-deserve-money news, Hive Jump looks like it could kick serious rear end.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I think for a kickstarter it is probably best to list out the costs as Programming and Art, etc, costs, rather than listing them as the company's salaries, just because everyone expects you to work for free but also understands you have to pay people who work on the project for you. The crossover between "pay the people who work on the project" and "I'm working on the project" is too confusing for them :)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shalinor posted:

So FUNNY STORY. I found out about this thanks to Derek Smart. He's a friend of a friend on Facebook or something. He was denouncing Chris Roberts / talking about how absurd the money was, because hey, he's ALSO making giant stupd-huge scope space games, and gets by on way the hell less.

When your budget/project/scope is so absurd that Derek Smart comes out against it, you've reached a truly special place. :allears:

Derek Smart is just cruising on all the money he got from Derek Smart's DEREK SMART'S DESKTOP COMMANDER. What Chris Roberts clearly needs to make is Chris Roberts' CHRIS ROBERTS' CROWDFUNDING COMMANDER. Buy/sell things that don't exist yet! Constantly promise more features then complain you don't have enough money to make them! Somehow put out a worse early test demo than a game that got 5% your funding!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I have a friend who works on Star Citizen and posts every negative article about it on Facebook to rip apart. He also no longer believes in crowdfunding after Oculus got bought out.

He is a bit of a weird dude.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I yearn for a Derek Smart Kickstarter.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Sunk cost fallacy and buyer's remorse working in a miraculous tandem.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shalinor posted:

It makes me wonder if Derek Smart would be able to pull of Star Citizen if he had the money and was willing to hire a bigger team than he usually gets by with. He's been making big space games for decades and probably has the sense to trim down the features list a little.

Edit: It would still have that Derek Smart quality we've come to expect but at least it would get done

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 7, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Asimo posted:

Sunk cost fallacy and buyer's remorse working in a miraculous tandem.

Yeah keeping the funding going on his own site and promising extra pixels to people who already tossed in for special pixels in the original kickstarter was a genius move.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Isn't Star Citizen still by-and-large on schedule? Like I think the thing they released was one or two months behind but that's it. The game was touted from the beginning as a 2015 game, wasn't it?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Isn't Star Citizen still by-and-large on schedule? Like I think the thing they released was one or two months behind but that's it. The game was touted from the beginning as a 2015 game, wasn't it?
The full game was always planned for some time in 2015, I think, so I guess you can say "they've still got plenty of time." (Although I think the persistent universe has slipped to 2016.) However, everything they've given release dates for has slipped. The hangar and dogfight module both came out after they were originally scheduled - the dogfight module was scheduled for December 2013 and came out June 2014 (this after having been delayed to times before June 2014 then delayed again). The original plan was to have a single player campaign alpha by this month and a persistent universe alpha out by the end of 2014 and obviously neither of those targets are going to get hit (they're not even planning a single player alpha release anymore).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

BattleMaster posted:

Edit: It would still have that Derek Smart quality we've come to expect but at least it would get done

Derek Smart needs to invent a keyboard with three times the amount of keys because the normal QWERTY layout is only complex enough for allow a pilot to climb into a cockpit and maybe reseal the canopy.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

Derek Smart needs to invent a keyboard with three times the amount of keys because the normal QWERTY layout is only complex enough for allow a pilot to climb into a cockpit and maybe reseal the canopy.

Everyone should look up the manual for Battlecruiser Millennium Gold if you haven't seen it already. Seriously, not only does it use every key on the keyboard, but most keys also have a shift, alt, and ctrl function.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm surprised Derek Smart isn't all over the occulus stuff. It seems like where his head has always been even back to usenet. Maybe he could replace his complex key commands with elaborate waggle/kinect routines? "Touch your forehead with your left hand while waving your right hand in a fist to deploy counter measures" sorta Dance Dance Battlecruiser.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Dance Dance Battlecruiser.
Yeah, I'd play this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm surprised Derek Smart isn't all over the occulus stuff. It seems like where his head has always been even back to usenet. Maybe he could replace his complex key commands with elaborate waggle/kinect routines? "Touch your forehead with your left hand while waving your right hand in a fist to deploy counter measures" sorta Dance Dance Battlecruiser.

Kinect (or at least the original Kinect) can't do elaborate anything. Look up Steel Batallion: Heavy Armour someday.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The full game was always planned for some time in 2015, I think, so I guess you can say "they've still got plenty of time." (Although I think the persistent universe has slipped to 2016.) However, everything they've given release dates for has slipped. The hangar and dogfight module both came out after they were originally scheduled - the dogfight module was scheduled for December 2013 and came out June 2014 (this after having been delayed to times before June 2014 then delayed again). The original plan was to have a single player campaign alpha by this month and a persistent universe alpha out by the end of 2014 and obviously neither of those targets are going to get hit (they're not even planning a single player alpha release anymore).

Is the gameplay in the dogfighting module any good? I can't seem to find any info or Youtube videos of backers playing it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

chiefnewo posted:

Is the gameplay in the dogfighting module any good? I can't seem to find any info or Youtube videos of backers playing it.

The netcode is apparently complete garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

chiefnewo posted:

It's rough and the flight model is a little weird and it's not at all balanced or anything but the basics are there and work well and some people are having tons of fun. There's certainly a shitton of detail and so on. When they get around to making it fun they've got a pretty good platform to work with, it seems like, especially this early in the process. Here's a random YouTube video I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVXeKc0A-ps