Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Sir Tonk posted:

Soon, all the Zoroastrians will be gone and the two remaining religions will join to create the ultimate deity!
I'll form the head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Sunday shows are anti-news. You will come away knowing less about what's going on if you watch them.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Eschatos posted:

So the beginning of a new thread seems like a good place to ask: Where do yall get your political news from? For the last year or so I've been getting 90%+ of that from DnD. What are the best news sources that aren't overt propaganda for one side or the other?

You could do a lot worse than just watching Stewart and Colbert. They were my gateway drug. Nowadays I like a lot of the sites mentioned, and also The Economist.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Joementum posted:

The Sunday shows are anti-news. You will come away knowing less about what's going on if you watch them.

They're not news, but they serve a purpose. As with anything else, watch the commercials to figure out the audience - the Sunday 'news' shows are the beltway crowd talking to each other, not the general public. They are informative from that perspective.

But yeah, if you don't have a solid grounding on the news going in you will walk away misinformed.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

You could do a lot worse than just watching Stewart and Colbert.

And John Oliver, who makes marvelous hit pieces on relatively obscure issues

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They're not news, but they serve a purpose. As with anything else, watch the commercials to figure out the audience - the Sunday 'news' shows are the beltway crowd talking to each other, not the general public. They are informative from that perspective.

But yeah, if you don't have a solid grounding on the news going in you will walk away misinformed.

Yeah, the commercials are 100% military contractors and megabanks. It's pretty funny.

The only enjoyable Sunday show guest is McCain so you can bask in his going off the deep end since 2008.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shifty Pony posted:

I can't imagine having one at a wedding anyway

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I eeeeeeeeeeeee now eeeeEEEEEEEEEE Pronounce You EEEEEEEEEEEE HUSBAND EEEEEEEEEEE AND EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WIFE! EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Although if the bride managed to pick one out of the air with the bouquet that would be a pretty great memory.

gently caress! That gives me a great idea: have a "drone" hover around and record the wedding, then at the end, you give the bride the chance to shoot it down as part of the marriage ceremony, or just a little fun at the reception. Between the rednecks wanting to stick it to Obummer and the fact that they'll never get a chance to shoot a real drone in real life, you'll be the most popular wedding gimmick for gun nuts. Sure, to satisfy the nuts who actually want to shoot a camera "drone" you'll have to have the wedding or reception at a gun range, but for the customers you're catering to that's a bonus. Also if you stream the camera pick-up to a computer that's not under fire you'll be able to save the last few frames of the wife aiming and firing a gun at the camera which you can sell for an extra $100-$200 easy on top of the cost of what you charged them to shoot at your drone.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Anything being pushed on the Sunday shows as a trial balloon will be a Drudge banner or a Twitter meme within an hour. The rest is John McCain arguing with Cokie Roberts and George Will. There might have been a reason to watch them before social media and news aggregators, but sane people should spend their Sunday mornings out to brunch instead.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Alkydere posted:

gently caress! That gives me a great idea: have a "drone" hover around and record the wedding, then at the end, you give the bride the chance to shoot it down as part of the marriage ceremony, or just a little fun at the reception. Between the rednecks wanting to stick it to Obummer and the fact that they'll never get a chance to shoot a real drone in real life, you'll be the most popular wedding gimmick for gun nuts. Sure, to satisfy the nuts who actually want to shoot a camera "drone" you'll have to have the wedding or reception at a gun range, but for the customers you're catering to that's a bonus. Also if you stream the camera pick-up to a computer that's not under fire you'll be able to save the last few frames of the wife aiming and firing a gun at the camera which you can sell for an extra $100-$200 easy on top of the cost of what you charged them to shoot at your drone.

Book our range today for your wedding reception or kid's birthday party!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Joementum posted:

Anything being pushed on the Sunday shows as a trial balloon will be a Drudge banner or a Twitter meme within an hour. The rest is John McCain arguing with Cokie Roberts and George Will. There might have been a reason to watch them before social media and news aggregators, but sane people should spend their Sunday mornings out to brunch instead.

Fair point, though in DC that is too often what is playing at brunch.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shear Modulus posted:

You laugh, but you know it would sell.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So we are almost out of money to fight wildfires

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/money-allocated-suppressing-fires-run-out

Cool, not like we are in the middle if a huge multistate drought or anything that would leave a lot if dry, flammable material around. Everything is awesome

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-gun-range-host-birthday-parties-children/story?id=16525927

Two years ago.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Are Calvin Dogg and Warren G gonna have to regulate?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

That's why they're great.

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah, the commercials are 100% military contractors and megabanks. It's pretty funny.

The only enjoyable Sunday show guest is McCain so you can bask in his going off the deep end since 2008.

And yeah, the commercials are amazing. They aren't even selling products, it's just a bunch of 30 second spots about how awesome the natural gas industry is, or how helpful BP has been the past few years.

edit

Shear Modulus posted:

That and any time Paul Krugman is on This Week with Bill Kristol, or another other GOP blowhard. They must pay Krugman a pile of money to endure those morons. It's bad enough having to work near Tom Friedman.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 6, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Cool, not like we are in the middle if a huge multistate drought or anything that would leave a lot if dry, flammable material around. Everything is awesome

Anyone that has a subscription with the fire department shouldn't have anything to worry about. :colbert:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Guys, Rand Paul totally did not leave halfway through his meal because scary foreigners showed up. He had a media avail after the event, or was it an immediate interview ten feet away from where he was eating? It was surely one of those two things and required leaving mid-chew.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rand-paul-dreamers-kamikaze-interview-immigration

quote:

"About two minutes before that, the video doesn't show that another reporter came up and said 'will you do an interview,'" Paul explained on Fox News' "On The Record." "And I said, 'I need to take a couple more bites and we'll do an interview.' And then I was told we had to leave and I had to do the interview. So actually, I stand about ten feet from those people, who were doing sort of a kamikaze interview, and I stood ten feet from them and did another interview."

The aide who whisked Paul away from the immigration activists, Sergio Gor, previously told the National Journal that Paul "had a media avail after the event and that's where we had to be."

The Kentucky Republican said he doesn't shy away from debate on immigration.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 6, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So the Clinton segment on last night's Colbert Report was just about the worst thing in the world.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm looking forward to begrudgingly voting for that lady.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ufarn posted:

So the Clinton segment on last night's Colbert Report was just about the worst thing in the world.

You know what's worse than finding a worm in your apple?

AIDS. AIDS is worse than finding a worm in your apple.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
I didn't see it, what was so bad about it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't seen it but I bet it's the same thing that happens every time a politician tries to do comedy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Senator Chris Murphy taking a selfie with Mr. Potato Head at a CT Food Bank event.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm surprised the thread title wasn't Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks › US Politics August - The White Man's Burden

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Ahem, impeach fried chicken :colbert:

Too topical not to.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you really want to know where the epicenter of neoliberal foreign policy opinion is on a weekly basis, you can do a lot worse than Fareed Zakaria GPS. It's like a weekly Davos support group.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Ahem, impeach fried chicken :colbert:

Too topical not to.

It's funny that the only people I see talking about this are people who actually support Fried Chicken.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
You know too much!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fried Chicken posted:

Hmmm 3 fighter planes that explode into flames if they try to take off

or

The entirety of firefighting efforts in the country for 4 months

This goddamn country.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Obvious solution: Set fire to the F-35 factory.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

zoux posted:

It's funny that the only people I see talking about this are people who actually support Fried Chicken.

Fried Chicken wants us to impeach him, he and his surrogates are the one drumming up all this talk of impeachment as a fundraiser.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Governor Mary "We Built Oklahoma Without Government Help" Fallin (R-OK) was going to attend a GOP fundraiser, but then she saw a flyer for the event.

quote:

Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin (R) will not be attending a fundraiser for a local Republican Party chapter after the group distributed a flyer promising the event would feature a discussion of "some things that you may not know" about the Ku Klux Klan. However, one of the event's organizers insisted the fundraiser was not "connected" to the KKK and was simply going to include information about how Democrats can be linked to the group.

She got some good PR advice from her staff and decided to cancel, rather than participate in the discussion. But the organizer insists that he was actually trying to tell people about how bad the KKK is because, you know, Democrats.

quote:

"The information is just a website where you can find how the KKK was instituted and it was actually started by southern Democrats," said Burgin.

Burgin, who is a member of the NRA, said he is against both Planned Parenthood and the KKK.

"It's a racist organization and it always has been," he said of the KKK. "Throughout history they've been known to be murderers."

Though he believes the flyer was misunderstood, Burgin said he has had conversations with people that helped him understand why it became controversial.

"The fact that the KKK and Mary Fallin is mentioned on the same flyer, you know with our P.C. world today, that carries a lot of negative connotations," said Burgin.

Mr. Burgin might want to try inviting Mo Brooks instead :shrug:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zoux posted:

I haven't seen it but I bet it's the same thing that happens every time a politician tries to do comedy.

The tiny handful of politicians who have enough charisma and self awareness to do comedy (basically Obama, and maybe Wexler in that one Colbert interview) happen to be all Democrats so Dems seem to think they'll get picthed nothing but softballs when they get on Stewart or Colbert.

Is it the thing I've heard about of her toeing the party line on Israel?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eschatos posted:

So the beginning of a new thread seems like a good place to ask: Where do yall get your political news from? For the last year or so I've been getting 90%+ of that from DnD. What are the best news sources that aren't overt propaganda for one side or the other?

Hate to be the establishment voice, but nytimes and washingtonpost. Websites.

Longer form articles: The Atlantic. Chait is a more fun option.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

toeing the party line on Israel?

Literally no one has not done this.

Shageletic posted:

Hate to be the establishment voice, but nytimes and washingtonpost. Websites.

Longer form articles: The Atlantic. Chait is a more fun option.

I check FoxNews and CNN first thing because I think it's important to know what narratives the mainstream outlets are pushing. I get most of my stuff from PoliticalWire and state politics blogs.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Joementum posted:

Senator Chris Murphy taking a selfie with Mr. Potato Head at a CT Food Bank event.

Good god that is an awkward photo. Chris Murphy is the textbook example of a lovely senator, but is still better than whoever the Republicans can come up with.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

zoux posted:

You would be correct.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

haveblue posted:

Obvious solution: Set fire to the F-35 factory.

Honestly the two phenomena will probably have knock-on effects as crashing Grover IIs ignite the heat blasted scrub forest wastelands that a whole lot of air force bases seem to be sequestered within.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zoux posted:

It's a fundraising op to restore the archives. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zoux posted:

Literally no one has not done this.

Well yeah but I'd read somewhere that she'd been more of a hardliner than the point Kerry's been pushing, that maybe Israel should get around to peace talks, in that she recited Netanyahu's arguments word-for-word.

Phone posted:

It's a fundraising op to restore the archives. :ssh:

I've yet to hear anyone suggest a responsible exit strategy for the search function.

• Locked thread