Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
This may surprise you, but News Corp is pretty loving racist.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/aboriginal-surfer-sues-for-defamation-20140803-zzlvy.html

quote:

Law suits are vanishingly rare in the world of surfing. It’s meant to be all peace, love and smokin’ barrels – not pleas, plaintiffs, and corporate barristers. Now pro surfer Otis Carey is suing Nationwide News, a subsidiary of News Corp Australia, for defamation, in a case that has divided the surfing community.

“I can’t recall anything like this happening,” says Vaughan Blakey, editor of Surfing World magazine. “It’s really unusual in surfing to have a high-profile law suit going on, and the intensity of the reaction it has stirred up is just amazing.”

It all started in March, when Carey, who is Aboriginal, was profiled by Surfing Life magazine. In the article, journalist Nathan Myers described Carey as "apeish", and wrote he was surprised the surfer was so articulate. The magazine quickly apologised and amended the story online, but Carey pursued the matter, suing the publisher for defamation. (The case has since settled.)

Shortly after, however, The Daily Telegraph reported the matter in a story by Briana Domjen, who repeated the comments in full. Carey is now launching defamation proceedings against the newspaper’s publisher, Nationwide News, a subsidiary of News Corp Australia.

“There are three clear imputations from the Tele’s article,” says Carey’s lawyer, Simon Maxwell, of Sanford Legal. “That the plaintiff has an apeish face, that he is sub-human, and that the plaintiff being of Aboriginal descent is racially inferior. The court has essentially accepted that, and directed Nationwide News to prepare their defence.”

Maxwell says Carey is seeking compensation for the damage to his reputation, which “could take the form of money or an apology or both.” Clive Evatt has been briefed as Carey’s counsel.

The case, which is being heard in the District Court, has provoked mixed response among surfers, with some labelling Carey an opportunist.

Others strongly back the surfer’s right to take action. “Really? Someone wrote those words in this century?” wrote one on Swellnet.com. “The re-publication of the insult in a mass-circulation daily is adding grievous insult to significant injury,” another Swellnet reader wrote. “Otis also deserves our respect for standing up for community standards.”

The 26-year-old Carey, who is based on Sydney’s northern beaches, is a much-respected “free surfer”, regularly appearing in movies and magazines. In April he took out the Australian Indigenous Surfing Championship at Bells Beach.

“There are plenty of positive stories out there about Aboriginal surfers,” says Tracks editor, Luke Kennedy. “Like the current Australian Junior Champ, Soli Bailey, who is Aboriginal, and past Indigenous Champion, Russell Malony, who has also been Australian Amateur Champ. It’s a shame the mainstream media only reports the negative stuff.”

News Corp declined to comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I am literally weeping for the bourgeoise private health consumers

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Cue a million idiots attributing this to the 18C backflip despite being a bog standard defamation case.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also I am probably a total misogynist for not caring that much about the woes of people with private health insurance because cosmetic reconstructive surgery is more common amongst women than men due to the types of procedures and the level to which society values looks as a determinant of worth differently across genders.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Gough Suppressant posted:

Also I am probably a total misogynist for not caring that much about the woes of people with private health insurance because cosmetic reconstructive surgery is more common amongst women than men due to the types of procedures and the level to which society values looks as a determinant of worth differently across genders.

Preemptive defensiveness. You are very secure in your absolutely excellent opinions.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Yep

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Amethyst posted:

Preemptive defensiveness. You are very secure in your absolutely excellent opinions.

Well put.

Yeah, shut up now.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Amethyst posted:

That was actually entirely serious

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Splode posted:

Well put.

Yeah, shut up now.

I refuse to be lectured by an anti-semite

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also

Splode posted:

You're arguing with amethyst. Go and smash your head into a brick wall, it'll be more productive and better for your brain.

Shoulda checked yourself before you wrecked yourself chum

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
http://www.australianlibertyalliance.org

A New political party launching in 2015! Coming to you from the people who brought you The Q Society.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

http://www.australianlibertyalliance.org

A New political party launching in 2015! Coming to you from the people who brought you The Q Society.

What happened to you John de Lancie, you used to be cool

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

What happened to you John de Lancie, you used to be cool

When you've done literally everything and tormented countless Starfleet captains, why not go into Australian Politics?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

When you've done literally everything and tormented countless Starfleet captains, why not go into Australian Politics?

I thought dune was the Muslim themed scifi not Star Trek though

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Peter Phelps is chucking a tanty over Michaela Whitbourn using the word Tory while tweeting about ICAC :allears:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Betz is a fuckwit, I'm not even going to bother posting why.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I reckon we can each supply our own reasons pretty adequately

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah but what has he done now?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Did no one tell Phelps that he actually joined the Tory party. Like who did he think they were?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Remember when Phelps voted to remove right to silence laws because he cared more about keeping his job as party whip than about his belief system?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Apparently the key reason that women get breast cancer is because of abortions

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

He was on tv trying to draw a link between abortion and breast cancer.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
The Abetz family seems to be genetically inclined to produce lovely idiots.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Do people in this thread refer to Eric Abetz as Erica Betz because they sincerely believe that's his name or because they are insulting him by demoting him to the status of a woman by feminising his name? It happens every he's brought up. Don't get me wrong, he's a vapid, mealy-mouthed carbon blob, but that line of attack is still pretty questionable.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Do people in this thread refer to Eric Abetz as Erica Betz because they sincerely believe that's his name or because they are insulting him by demoting him to the status of a woman by feminising his name? It happens every he's brought up. Don't get me wrong, he's a vapid, mealy-mouthed carbon blob, but that line of attack is still pretty questionable.

The former.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Don't go too hard on them they're only Australian

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I think mispronouncing someone's name is funny because I have the maturity of a 12-year old

(E: Not being ironic)

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 7, 2014

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Murodese posted:

Apparently the key reason that women get breast cancer is because of abortions

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politic...807-101p60.html

Yup.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Vladimir Poutine posted:

It's because when you say his name with anything even resembling speed, it sounds like Erica Betz. It's almost impossible not to.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Quantum Mechanic posted:

It's because when you say his name with anything even resembling speed, it sounds like Erica Betz. It's almost impossible not to.

I know of people who genuinely thought for years that tassie had a senator named Erica Betz.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I think a journalist made the mistake of calling him Erica Betz at some point and after that, it just stuck.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

"I think the studies, and I think they date back from the 1950s,

there's that loving decade again

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I know of people who genuinely thought for years that tassie had a senator named Erica Betz.

I was convinced for about a month that was the case. Abetz just isn't really important enough to bother fact-checking that.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I'm fairly certain that we're not calling him Erica Betz to infer he's a woman, or at least I hope not.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

After long consideration I've decided the only appropriate way to handle his stunted grasp of gender politics is to call him a girl while sniggering behind my hand.

I've done this twice after moving to Canberra with him in the room.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

SKY COQ posted:

After long consideration I've decided the only appropriate way to handle his stunted grasp of gender politics is to call him a girl while sniggering behind my hand.

I've done this twice after moving to Canberra with him in the room.

You are dumb and poo poo

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

You are dumb and poo poo

You are so tedious

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Splode posted:

You are so tedious

Good to know that someone is dumb enough to stand up and defend the idea of using femininity as an insult to people as long as you really don't like them

Also no surprises that it was someone willing to defend racism as long as you really don't like the targets.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
If you're going to ad hom Abetz base it on his being the nephew of Otto Abetz, noted international war criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The laffs keep coming.

quote:

Russia bans food imports from Australia, US, EU

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says it is disappointing that Russia has retaliated over Australian sanctions imposed over the crisis in Ukraine and has promised to assist affected Australian farmers.

• Locked thread