Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much they'll make from all the module passes at $5 a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
250k people, $5 per pass
AC pass
FPS pass
planetary/social/whatever they're calling it now? pass
PU pass

5 million bux? Any other ~modules~ I'm missing?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

patrain posted:

Give it time guys. We all had grand ideas and speculations that we turned into expectations. With the goals that were set out to be accomplished, this game is going to take a long time to make right. There is so much invested in this game and CR that it will eventually get published and I am sure it will be far better than anything including MWO. Give them a break and let them do their jobs that we payed them to do. Leaving them alone and not comparing them to games that are considered to be lackluster and even failures is not helping either. Give it time and everyone will be less jaded as gently caress.

Cmon guys this Ponzi fellow said it'd turn out great! I just need you to buy some more ships and we'l get that language pack. Then if you get two friends each to buy some ships we'll get to choose what gets done next! And as long as we keep going eventually it'll be the best game ever! Just htink of how great it'll be keep buying and getting others below you to do the same!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Nektu posted:

(SC is the F-35 of space games)

Ouch. It's too poignant, hits close to home.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Truga posted:

250k people, $5 per pass
AC pass
FPS pass
planetary/social/whatever they're calling it now? pass
PU pass

5 million bux? Any other ~modules~ I'm missing?

If they actually did that it would piss off a lot of people, especially if people who purchased one thing suddenly find themselves out because they didn't pledge early enough. Also all packages include beta access, so who knows what that actually means.

As for "walking in stations," I agree it's easy for it to be a pain in the rear end. Freelancer was the worst, requiring you to slowly walk from point to point and hear the same canned phrases over and over again. Hopefully people hundreds of years in the future will have the ability to order most of the stuff they need without leaving their ships, because being forced to walk around for the sake of IMMERSION is dumb. If it's anything like every other MMO I've played then the little virtual towns, no matter how hand crafted, will end up being ignored for the straightest line from ship to vendor to vendor.

EDIT:

AnythingFPS put up another gif showing the mining station: http://www.gfycat.com/ShadySandyBeaver

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 6, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The freelancer way might be the best way tbh. Freelancer had a checkbox in the options to skip all the lovely docking and walking cutscenes, which really cut down on the tedium. You just click on icons on top and have to bear trough loading the area. Convos in bars are skippable too. Though I have a feeling they only added these things in 1.01 patch or something, and most people never installed patches in those earlier internet days.

As for actual cities.. Divinity's Reach from GW2 never seems to fail to impress/get old for me. That city is how MMO cities should be built. It's a proper god damned town, not just a bunch of shops, and two houses thrown in for scenery. Then again, GW2 also has instant travel to anywhere, so that might be a part of why it doesn't get annoying even though it's fairly large.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I don't know, Roberts is pretty big on immersion. They waste time and resources developing space-toilets for Christ's sake.

I imagine walking in stations will involve incredible detailed minutiae - turn your engines off, get out of your ship, go down the ladder, close the door, talk to customs, have your cargo scanned, unload your Lesnicks, go down a hallway, use the space-pisser, get to an intersection, wait for a crane to pass, continue on to the shops, wait in line, order your items, find out it's on backorder, wait for the shipment to come in, ...

OTOH, they did finally add a quick menu for Arena Commander to bypass all that, so maybe there will be shortcuts to skip a lot of the walking-in-station stuff? Which would be hilarious in a way, because they will spend all this time and money to develop Skyrim-quality "immersion" mods and then you will be able to just skip it anyways.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I look forward to the game ever getting to the point where the "immersion" animations and having to walk through the space-station is actually a problem...

...and not the whole game crashing because the engine can't handle 15 people all trying to use the same vendor at once.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Speculation: I bet for the sake of immersion that they will have player collision, and one of the first issues in the PU is going to be people blocking each other in at NPC vendors.

Or trapping people inside the space-toilet. :shrek:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

imperialparadox posted:

I don't know, Roberts is pretty big on immersion. They waste time and resources developing space-toilets for Christ's sake.

I imagine walking in stations will involve incredible detailed minutiae - turn your engines off, get out of your ship, go down the ladder, close the door, talk to customs, have your cargo scanned, unload your Lesnicks, go down a hallway, use the space-pisser, get to an intersection, wait for a crane to pass, continue on to the shops, wait in line, order your items, find out it's on backorder, wait for the shipment to come in, ...

OTOH, they did finally add a quick menu for Arena Commander to bypass all that, so maybe there will be shortcuts to skip a lot of the walking-in-station stuff? Which would be hilarious in a way, because they will spend all this time and money to develop Skyrim-quality "immersion" mods and then you will be able to just skip it anyways.
I think the latter is what will happen: millions of dollars will be spent developing immersive graphics details and animations that players will go through once or twice before using the quick access menu.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

imperialparadox posted:

Speculation: I bet for the sake of immersion that they will have player collision, and one of the first issues in the PU is going to be people blocking each other in at NPC vendors.

Or trapping people inside the space-toilet. :shrek:

If this was a thing, I'd actually play, multibox, and form space-picket lines everywhere.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xaerael posted:

If this was a thing, I'd actually play, multibox, and form space-picket lines everywhere.

It'd only be worth doing if you could open the door to free the poor souls and then laser them in the face.

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013

Rastor posted:

I think the latter is what will happen: millions of dollars will be spent developing immersive graphics details and animations that players will go through once or twice before using the quick access menu.

Never underestimate the audience this game has. There will definitely be people who will go through all the manual tedium all the time... and these people will be celebrated by the devs even if they are the minority.

:lesnick:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Rastor posted:

The brown sea would never be ok with the option to turn those kinds of things off.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bossfight posted:

Never underestimate the audience this game has. There will definitely be people who will go through all the manual tedium all the time... and these people will be celebrated by the devs even if they are the minority.

:lesnick:
Oh yes definitely, but I predict those will be somewhat less than 50% of players.

Wafflz posted:

The brown sea would never be ok with the option to turn those kinds of things off.
Too bad for the brown sea, there's already a quick menu for Arena Commander. The quick menu bridge has already been crossed.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I'm excited by the dynamic pooping system the functioning space toilets portend. Of course, taking the occasional poo poo will all be well and good until in some patch they misplace a decimal point and suddenly everyone is crapping themselves like victims of an interstellar cholera epidemic

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The real question is whether each turd is stored inside or sent into space reducing the mass of the craft while adding to the space debris. Will the waiting areas near docking stations eventually turn into clouds of poo poo orbiting around advertising billboards for new ships and Chris Cola? Will there be poop wipers for $49.99?

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013
The poop could get lodged in the maneuvering thrusters, and cause your ship to lose control. Or it could get stuck directly in front of your thermal sensors, preventing any heat based scanning of other ships rendering you effectively poo poo blind.

IMMERSION

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SelenicMartian posted:

The real question is whether each turd is stored inside or sent into space reducing the mass of the craft while adding to the space debris. Will the waiting areas near docking stations eventually turn into clouds of poo poo orbiting around advertising billboards for new ships and Chris Cola? Will there be poop wipers for $49.99?

Clouds of poo poo will be guaranteed.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
Multiplayer is now available to all backers with alpha access.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14066-Arena-Commander-Multiplayer-Available

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

That's one hell of a jump over the past week. Whatever was causing the rubber banding must have been holding everything else up.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

OhDearGodNo posted:

That's one hell of a jump over the past week. Whatever was causing the rubber banding must have been holding everything else up.

Including, apparently, keybindings. Which is now in the "working hard at" category. So perhaps there will be a functioning non-shitpile game after all. :pcgaming:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Courthouse posted:

Including, apparently, keybindings. Which is now in the "working hard at" category. So perhaps there will be a functioning non-shitpile game after all. :pcgaming:

They've mentioned several times recently that keybinds are targeted as a 0.9 feature. They won't be added to the current 0.8/12.X branch because no new features are being added to it, only bugfixes and other changes that don't have the potential for breakage.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If they actually did that it would piss off a lot of people, especially if people who purchased one thing suddenly find themselves out because they didn't pledge early enough. Also all packages include beta access, so who knows what that actually means.

As for "walking in stations," I agree it's easy for it to be a pain in the rear end. Freelancer was the worst, requiring you to slowly walk from point to point and hear the same canned phrases over and over again. Hopefully people hundreds of years in the future will have the ability to order most of the stuff they need without leaving their ships, because being forced to walk around for the sake of IMMERSION is dumb. If it's anything like every other MMO I've played then the little virtual towns, no matter how hand crafted, will end up being ignored for the straightest line from ship to vendor to vendor.

EDIT:

AnythingFPS put up another gif showing the mining station: http://www.gfycat.com/ShadySandyBeaver

I would agree, except for the fact that they're putting so much detail into planetary shops and poo poo. It's looking unlikely that we'll be able to dock and do everything from the ship if so much effort is being put into 'immersion' (with that god awful crane for example).

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
People make fun of the immersion thing but it's important.

Arena Commander is a game within a game, it's made by a company called Original Systems in the 30th century. I believe the intention is for us to buy United Earth Credits that can be used to fund kicker starter projects within the Star Citizen universe for other fictional games companies without worrying about 21st Century copyright laws or problematic release dates.

Waverider
Oct 26, 2001

SelenicMartian posted:

They're currently troubleshooting bugs related to the separate physics frames for turds once they are separated from your anus. The zero-g turd rubber banding issue has been narrowed down to how the boundary layer airflow simulation to suck the turds into the zero-g vacuum toilet hose was implemented.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

bossfight posted:

The poop could get lodged in the maneuvering thrusters, and cause your ship to lose control. Or it could get stuck directly in front of your thermal sensors, preventing any heat based scanning of other ships rendering you effectively poo poo blind.

IMMERSION

It could become a form of counting coup to successfully dump your Ship poo poo onto the bridge of the enemy ship. Though I must insist they implement proper fluid and semi-solid dynamics in the physics engine so that our poop actually travels through the piping of ships and stations. I will lose my immersion if my ship takes a hit or terrorists attack the station and nobody has to wade through a sea of poo.

Also goddamn Chris this game is going to be hard enough for you to make without you trying to build an FPS into it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

paragon1 posted:

It could become a form of counting coup to successfully dump your Ship poo poo onto the bridge of the enemy ship. Though I must insist they implement proper fluid and semi-solid dynamics in the physics engine so that our poop actually travels through the piping of ships and stations. I will lose my immersion if my ship takes a hit or terrorists attack the station and nobody has to wade through a sea of poo.

Also goddamn Chris this game is going to be hard enough for you to make without you trying to build an FPS into it.

your warm, and odiferous, immersion

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Now, looking at the other side of the toilet coin, we should realize the possibility of sabotaging enemy ships by slipping on board while they're docked and dumping some tampons down the toilet. When they realize what has happened, they will not only become horrified at being unable to poop, but frightened and excited by the possibility of there being a girl on board.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Let us write on the station walls with poop Chris, you know you want it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The poo could be collected, and processed into fertilizer, which could be a key economic component. People could fight for control of the resource, poo would become plunder, think of it Roberts! The possibilities are endless!

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Barnsy posted:

I would agree, except for the fact that they're putting so much detail into planetary shops and poo poo. It's looking unlikely that we'll be able to dock and do everything from the ship if so much effort is being put into 'immersion' (with that god awful crane for example).

Nah. They said you can opt out of cargo commander and just let some NPC stack everything for you. Means you won't get as much in since you won't be using every inch playing tetris, but presumably the time saved has it about even in the end. So I'd expect similar with the shops. Like you can use the menu, but it costs extra because you pay some npc errand boy. And perhaps you miss out on some rumor you could have overheard from 2 npcs talking, or didn't trigger a mission generated by talking to the shopkeep about his pet fish or whatever. Stuff like that.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ice Fist posted:

Ask Egosoft how well allowing players to walk around in stations worked out for the latest X title (it was an unmitigated disaster).
I gave up on X: Rebirth pretty quickly, but it seemed more like, "Run laps around a metal box and try in vain to remember the magic keys to get back to your ship."

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

The poo could be collected, and processed into fertilizer, which could be a key economic component. People could fight for control of the resource, poo would become plunder, think of it Roberts! The possibilities are endless!

What's the poopsock-to-lesnick conversion rate? How many poopsocks fit into 1 lesnick of cargo space?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Played MP for the first time last night, the only bug I encountered was that my HUD would sometimes slip offscreen a bit, as if the helmet had shifted on my head. It would reset after I'd explode but it got annoying.

BickidWoody
May 8, 2014
Holy Connie Variants, Batman!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I hope we will be able to use electronic and cyber warfare to hack into enemy toilets.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

They missed a chance there to name it Tarsus instead of Taurus. Maybe some future variant or easter egg.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

BickidWoody posted:

Holy Connie Variants, Batman!

I...

I don't know if I want a constellation if it's going to come with the man on the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
He's just shown for scale so you know how much cargo will fit.

• Locked thread