Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Yuriy posted:

-Atom- for all the hate he gets on here does the same thing with Jones but for the record that weirdo calling for his arrest is just a weirdo and not any sort of "hivemind" or w/e

kensei is/was the same way and just generally speaking it's probably not the smartest idea to get wrapped up in the personalities of professional prize fighters

although it is nice when they appear to be a genuinely cool people like Demetrius Johnson and Chris Weidman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
Eh half of the fun of rooting interests in sports is coming up with dumb reasons to justify your rooting interest. I'm well aware that my opinion on who I want to win a particular fight would probably change drastically if I knew the participants personally, but I don't think there's anything wrong with attaching perceived personality traits based on public appearances to athletes. It's entertainment.

That said: Jon Jones is actually a butthead in real life and that's just a fact.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I think all things are best enjoyed with a completely neutral and objective point of view.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Captain Log posted:

Thug Rose landing the submission of a lifetime on repeat.

Mind you this match was less than 15 seconds. Thug Rose bull rushes and flying arm bars before the announcers are even done really introducing the fighters. You don't see it in this one because it's just replays, but during the actual fight the fighter info bug that pops up at the start of the round to list corner color/name is still up.

The best part is it inspired Pat Barry to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHjO-6n7jRo

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 7, 2014

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

palmkernel posted:

I started off not liking Jones because he was beating some of my favorite fighters like Shogun and Machida but I've learned to tolerate him by focusing on what he does in the cage. I think it's funny sometimes the amount of hate he gets online like the guy that wanted him arrested for the brawl earlier but I understand it cause he's a dweeb.

I used to be able to do that until this most recent string of drama, mostly because I don't watch many interviews. This hype train was too big and loud to ignore.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Agent Tough Juice posted:

Er, wasn't he tweeting about how great the Dolce Diet was just before the fight?

It's not Mike's fault that your joints stopped working, BJ.

his joints worked fine. he chose not to bed his legs because it tuckered him out too much

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

david carmichael posted:

his joints worked fine. he chose not to bed his legs because it tuckered him out too much

Which is funny because top MMA competitors have proven that bending at the knees and waist is the best way to rest

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Which is funny because top MMA competitors have proven that bending at the knees and waist is the best way to rest

That was the best possible outcome of that fight. It encapsulates everything about the previous 15 minutes.

EDIT: That's the first Greg Jackson fight I can think of that was just insanely boring.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

It's funny that if you do a "where are they now?" for everyone in that gif, the guy in the middle is the one who has it the worst.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Speaking of "where are they now?" fighters, what are some of the fighters PSP posters like and continue to cheer despite their careers not going as well as they could have, or they used to be really good but have fallen on hard times? Everyone loves Chael, NICK DIAZ 209 MUTHAFUCKA and everyone wants to see Faber win a UFC title, but who else?

I'm still a Maia fan despite it all and also hope Machida still has some glory days ahead of him. Uriah Hall is another one I've come to like from Fight Pass and watching his TUF fights. Also been combing the PRIDE library for Jens Pulver fights.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Panama Red posted:

Speaking of "where are they now?" fighters, what are some of the fighters PSP posters like and continue to cheer despite their careers not going as well as they could have, or they used to be really good but have fallen on hard times? Everyone loves Chael, NICK DIAZ 209 MUTHAFUCKA and everyone wants to see Faber win a UFC title, but who else?

I don't know about other people, but I don't "give up" liking fighters I like because they start doing bad. I like them til they quit unless they do something lovely outside the cage.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Panama Red posted:

I'm still a Maia fan despite it all and also hope Machida still has some glory days ahead of him. Uriah Hall is another one I've come to like from Fight Pass and watching his TUF fights. Also been combing the PRIDE library for Jens Pulver fights.

Diego Sanchez fan checking in.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Seltzer posted:

I don't know about other people, but I don't "give up" liking fighters I like because they start doing bad. I like them til they quit unless they do something lovely outside the cage.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone has fighters they refuse to give up on, I'm just curious who some of those fighters might be besides the usual suspects.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Gomi

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Panama Red posted:

Yeah, I'm sure everyone has fighters they refuse to give up on, I'm just curious who some of those fighters might be besides the usual suspects.

I rode the Chris Leben train all the way to the depot and am probably a worse person for it.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Bluedeanie posted:

I rode the Chris Leben train all the way to the depot and am probably a worse person for it.

Follow up on this, were you personally disappointed that he threw in the towel or do you have a soul?

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
FWIW I do not want to see Faber win a title because he has become a giant baby in his old age.

Most of the fighters I will root foor despite being Not Good are now retired, but they include Duane Ludwig, Chuck Liddell, Gomi, BJ, and pretty much anybody who was good in Shooto around 2005.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Panama Red posted:

gomi, arona, jake shields, gilbert, melvin, tiny melvin, funch, palhares, sakurai, ishida, kawajiri, etc.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Novum posted:

Follow up on this, were you personally disappointed that he threw in the towel or do you have a soul?

It definitely needed to happen and I welcomed it. That first round was rough even for Leben, and it was better that way than having a doctor do it after a gash on his forehead grew over four rounds. I probably should have accepted then that if Munoz was able to do that to him, it was over. My head knew, but my heart dreamed on :911:

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
hioki, marlon sandro, vladdy, hunt, mitch gagnon

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Gregor Samsa posted:

FWIW I do not want to see Faber win a title because he has become a giant baby in his old age.

this x1000. i thought being from sacramento and alumni at the same university meant i would always root for urijah drat bro what happened to being likeable

i guess a strong case can be made that northern california bros aren't likeable in the first, though

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

paulo filho, although it's been years since i shifted from not giving up on him as a fighter to not giving up hope he won't be found dead outside him and arona's gym for buff dudes and pitbull hang out place

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
nah, faber is still cool

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

Diego Sanchez fan checking in.

I got into mma around the time of his title shot and he was my favourite at the time. I wouldn't say look forward to his fights anymore but will always love that finish where he wobbles the guy (Riggs maybe) with a punch then sprints at him and lands a really nice flying knee.

Gomi still rules, same with Faber, Kawajiri, Manhoef and some others.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yushin Okami, thank you!

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

paulo filho, although it's been years since i shifted from not giving up on him as a fighter to not giving up hope he won't be found dead outside him and arona's gym for buff dudes and pitbull hang out place

his "fight" against david branch made me cry

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

That was the best possible outcome of that fight. It encapsulates everything about the previous 15 minutes.

EDIT: That's the first Greg Jackson fight I can think of that was just insanely boring.

I think that was actually after the second.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

chase beebe, i like to pretend he left fighting in 2009 to go back to being a normal high school student though

also jorge santiago but i've fallen for that trick twice already

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 7, 2014

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Panama Red posted:

Yeah, it's Maia for me. Especially because of the way I felt jerked around by his sudden coolness at 170, followed by his usual descent into being Maia. In retrospect the fact that he didn't get straight murdered by Weidman is pretty cool though.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

I don't follow his every move, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Paulo Thiago.

Probably because of this

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

palmkernel posted:

Seemed like tyson was and still is pretty popular and he's done a whole lot of things worse than Jones.
Mike Tyson has an absurdly entertaining life story and a personality with a lot of charisma. The sports world actually wanted to know what he was going to say/do next when he was in his "threaten to rape male competitor" phase.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Mike Tyson has an absurd life story and a personality with a lot of charisma.

It is pretty weird that he's a convicted rapist and then he was on Law and Order: SVU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I still hope Aoki and Imanari somehow make it to the ufc and do really well.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Mike Tyson has an absurdly entertaining life story and a personality with a lot of charisma. The sports world actually wanted to know what he was going to say/do next when he was in his "threaten to rape male competitor" phase.

mike tyson was also intensely hated and decried by a lot of people, and also had exciting fights more often than not, and between then and now went through a lot of pr rehab to get to where he is now. and he is still viewed as sort of a circus act more than one of the greatest boxers of all time.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's telling that a rapist has better public reception than Jon Jones.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

david carmichael posted:

mike tyson was also intensely hated and decried by a lot of people, and also had exciting fights more often than not, and between then and now went through a lot of pr rehab to get to where he is now. and he is still viewed as sort of a circus act more than one of the greatest boxers of all time.
Name any public sporting figure of note who isn't "hated and decried by a lot of people". Non-boxing fans actually knew who he was this far into his career though, well before his trial. He was a big deal then and he's still alive today.

He's viewed as both a boxing legend AND a clown, depending on who you're asking. jon jones is never going to have this because he's a spindly dink with a null personality who gets mad exactly like a child when his ego is assailed despite being at the top tier of the sport, and he seeks vengeance in the form of sticking his big retard fingers in opponents eyes like fingerpaints while beating them up with his giant rake limbs. The hypothetical meltdown when he loses/recaptures a belt is going to be the most unintentionally entertaining he'll ever be outside of the octagon.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 7, 2014

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I don't follow his every move, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Paulo Thiago.

Probably because of this

Also for being a guy in the Tropa de Elite and coming out to "Tropa de Elite".

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Name any public sporting figure of note who isn't "hated and decried by a lot of people". Non-boxing fans actually knew who he was this far into his career though, well before his trial. He was a big deal then and he's still alive today.

He's viewed as both a boxing legend AND a clown, depending on who you're asking. jon jones is never going to have this because he's a spindly dink with a null personality who gets mad exactly like a child when his ego is assailed despite being at the top tier of the sport, and he seeks vengeance in the form of sticking his big retard fingers in opponents eyes like fingerpaints while beating them up with his giant rake limbs. The hypothetical meltdown when he loses/recaptures a belt is going to be the most unintentionally entertaining he'll ever be outside of the octagon.

yeah. the public backlash against tyson was greater than that of most people, but that's because he was more popular and more polarizing. and the backlash further fueled his popularity. jon jones isn't really polarizing, people just don't like him much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I think that was actually after the second.

Nah that's the end. I recently watched all 15 glorious minutes again just to show my nephew the majesty of the kimboplex.

• Locked thread