Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sanguine posted:

Where do you think private efficiency comes from? It is entirely based around skirting the line between legal letter and social contract.

They only worked 7 hours before the power went out? Lawyers say we don't have to pay them cause they worked less than 8 hours.*

*actually happened.

They went on strike and built a barricade out of the corpses of management right?

...right? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Unrestrained capitalism inherently promotes immoral actions, news at eleven.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Scylo posted:

It's a sanction that impacts a tiny percentage of GDP (0.00049%) It's meaningless, and isn't going to teach the Abbott government anything. It's also not a bad thing when governments stand up to leaders responsible for the death of innocents, they should just try and be more consistent about it.

You're right, it isn't a deathblow to GDP by any means, but it's nonetheless a significant sum of money to those affected by the sanctions, and will, I believe, play badly in the media.

In related news, Operation Bring Them Home has been an immense waste of time and money that carried with it a high risk of further casualties, and if we want to go there, the money and time sunk into the totally pointless hunt for MH370 has similarly produced absolutely nothing of value. Taken as a whole, the LNP's attempts to play on the world stage have not, to my knowledge, gone well, and I imagine even the most politically apathetic citizen would as a result probably prefer energy, time and cash (oh so hard to come by now that the Age of Entitlement has come to an apparently ignominious end) were invested closer to home and further from the international limelight.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Endman posted:

They went on strike and built a barricade out of the corpses of management right?

...right? :(

Less than a week old. Has finally tipped the union sentiment from 'but I might lose my job for joining one of them' to 'how soon can we get in'.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Sanguine posted:

Less than a week old. Has finally tipped the union sentiment from 'but I might lose my job for joining one of them' to 'how soon can we get in'.

Care to name this shithole company?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Small Keating posted:

the money and time sunk into the totally pointless hunt for MH370 has similarly produced absolutely nothing of value. Taken as a whole, the LNP's attempts to play on the world stage have not, to my knowledge, gone well, and I imagine even the most politically apathetic citizen would as a result probably prefer energy, time and cash (oh so hard to come by now that the Age of Entitlement has come to an apparently ignominious end) were invested closer to home and further from the international limelight.

I am going to go ahead and disagree with you here. The search for MH370 is important. Air travel is immensly safe because we make sure we try and figure out exactly why every crash happens. Putting a ship in the inidan ocean and map the floor from one side to the other for the next 10 years is a worthwhile effort. The side effect of better geology is a bonus. The new reaserch vesel they are only funding for 180 days at sea a year could spend the other 120 on MH370 search.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
For some perspective on the import ban from Russia, the live export ban in 2011 (which was for a little under a month) cost $46.5m (this one is worth ~$400m) and was apparently "apocalypse" to northern Australia.

Looking forward to hearing some similar rhetoric!

("apparently we won't even notice the difference" -- sunrise)

Murodese fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 8, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Small Keating posted:

You're right, it isn't a deathblow to GDP by any means, but it's nonetheless a significant sum of money to those affected by the sanctions, and will, I believe, play badly in the media.

In related news, Operation Bring Them Home has been an immense waste of time and money that carried with it a high risk of further casualties, and if we want to go there, the money and time sunk into the totally pointless hunt for MH370 has similarly produced absolutely nothing of value. Taken as a whole, the LNP's attempts to play on the world stage have not, to my knowledge, gone well, and I imagine even the most politically apathetic citizen would as a result probably prefer energy, time and cash (oh so hard to come by now that the Age of Entitlement has come to an apparently ignominious end) were invested closer to home and further from the international limelight.

Pissing in the well of engagement with the world: mission accomplished.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
So, something I'm not sure about: ICAC good? ICAC bad? ICAC good but run by bad people? I hear bits and pieces about it but I don't really have any context to go on.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
^^^^
ICAC entertaining. After Abbott's tweet(?) of 'This is Labor' about ICAC, it's turned out to have destroyed vast swathes of the NSW liberal party.

Ragingsheep posted:

Care to name this shithole company?

No, sorry. It's small, Tasmanian, and I suspect not long for this world. It might rear its head again on the mainland, though.

Hopefully the WHS, EPA, and local councils over there have their paddles in the water and don't let so much of the poo poo it currently gets away with slide.

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 8, 2014

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Antlions posted:

So, something I'm not sure about : ICAC good? ICAC bad? ICAC good but run by bad people? I hear bits and pieces about it but I don't really have any context to go on.

The ICAC was restarted by the Liberals to take a crack at corruption within the ALP, and it backfired spectacularly (because the Libs are more corrupt than the ALP). ICAC = good and also hilarious

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Antlions posted:

So, something I'm not sure about : ICAC good? ICAC bad? ICAC good but run by bad people? I hear bits and pieces about it but I don't really have any context to go on.

ICAC is outstanding

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Antlions posted:

ICAC good.

They have unique powers to expose corruption, and do so with gusto. The only problem I have with it is that some of their evidence can't be used by the DPP in criminal proceedings so it's very difficult to then criminally convict someone who's been found corrupt.

Generally speaking, anyone who professes to hate ICAC is just cheerleading - the main reason they don't like it is because their "team" is the current focus.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

webmeister posted:

ICAC good.

They have unique powers to expose corruption, and do so with gusto. The only problem I have with it is that some of their evidence can't be used by the DPP in criminal proceedings so it's very difficult to then criminally convict someone who's been found corrupt.

That's what angry mobs and public executions are for.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Antlions posted:

ICAC fantastic and run by good people. It's an independent anti-corruption body in NSW with fairly significant powers to compel witnesses and evidence, it was started by the Liberal Party under Greiner, but so far has mostly been a component of bringing down 2 Liberal Premiers and 6 other Lib MPs, as well as the whole scummy situation over Obeid and Macdonald in the NSW Upper House.

The Libs are now currently complaining that ICAC is a kangaroo court and that its inquiries should be done in secret, like other anti-corruption bodies, to which I say to politicians; if you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear :devil:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

webmeister posted:

ICAC good.

That's the thing I don't get with ICAC, you get found guilty of corruption but you don't go to jail because evidence used against you can't be used by the DPP.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Ragingsheep posted:

That's the thing I don't get with ICAC, you get found guilty of corruption but you don't go to jail because evidence used against you can't be used by the DPP.

It's a component of ICAC having extraordinary powers to compel witnesses and evidence. It can act beyond the bounds of a regular criminal court because of its narrow focus.

Fortunately being brought in front of ICAC effectively ends your political career, so that's something at least.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Cool. Good too see there is still some good in this fukt country.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Until we get a twitch feed, https://twitter.com/MWhitbourn is the best place for the latest ICAC hilarities.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 8, 2014

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Quantum Mechanic posted:

The Libs are now currently complaining that ICAC is a kangaroo court and that its inquiries should be done in secret, like other anti-corruption bodies, to which I say to politicians; if you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear :devil:

I'm fully expecting them to try to shut it down after this inquiry is finished saying that it's no longer needed because we already found all the corruption.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Too loving happy in here by half!

Things going to poo poo because of terrible people with no talent being terrible?

Lets crank out the good ol' 'loving dem Browns! Am I right?'

Hockey vigorously blaming Labor for not passing a budget that in no way addresses jobs growth and has in fact caused both the spike in unemployment AND a drop in business confidence? :irony:

Telstra has now started advertising about the amazing NBN deals they can provide. That's got to be transgressing fair advertising guidelines. Which loving National Broadband Network is Telstra going to connect you to? The ads being pushed here in Kempsey makes it 100% :ironicat:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Contra Duck posted:

I'm fully expecting them to try to shut it down after this inquiry is finished saying that it's no longer needed because we already found all the corruption.

That's why the NSW Greens are planning to push for a referendum to add ICAC into the NSW constitution :haw:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Should (and I think the Greens are) push to make it Federal.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Until we get a twitch feed, https://twitter.com/MWhitbourn is the best place for the latest ICAC hilarities.

Nice

@MWhitbourn · 26m
Owen's campaign manager Hugh Thomson told Hodges to invoice developer Saddingtons for "Consultancy on Cave Beachside"
#ICAC

@MWhitbourn · 26m
Counsel: It's a fake invoice, of course.
Hodges: Correct.
#ICAC

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

That's why the NSW Greens are planning to push for a referendum to add ICAC into the NSW constitution :haw:
But there's no need for a referendum to add stuff to (or remove stuff from) the NSW constitution.
Edit: I mean I guess it's the only way the Libs would even consider putting it in, but will they add provisions preventing future governments from taking it back out?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Yeah - I would really like to see this get up. I think it has a real chance and I would love to see both of the majors try to explain why we don't need it after all the poo poo that has been aired

Also - people have already had fun with Eric Abetz's Wiki page

Professions:
Lawyer
Politician
Pseudoscientist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Abetz

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

Good to know that someone is dumb enough to stand up and defend the idea of using femininity as an insult to people as long as you really don't like them

Also no surprises that it was someone willing to defend racism as long as you really don't like the targets.

Hey muyb do you see any dissonance between getting upset about this, while strongly defending your right to call for politicians to be killed / kill themselves?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

hyperbowl posted:

But there's no need for a referendum to add stuff to (or remove stuff from) the NSW constitution.
Edit: I mean I guess it's the only way the Libs would even consider putting it in, but will they add provisions preventing future governments from taking it back out?

It's not required, but as a political stunt it's completely bulletproof. It would also allow inserting ICAC with a provision of requiring bipartisan support to change its funding or its terms of reference.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

KennyTheFish posted:

I am going to go ahead and disagree with you here. The search for MH370 is important. Air travel is immensly safe because we make sure we try and figure out exactly why every crash happens. Putting a ship in the inidan ocean and map the floor from one side to the other for the next 10 years is a worthwhile effort. The side effect of better geology is a bonus. The new reaserch vesel they are only funding for 180 days at sea a year could spend the other 120 on MH370 search.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the government weren't crying poor and defunding everything in sight, including exactly the kind of research that would ordinarily yield the kind of information we might get out of this search as a "bonus side effect". You're right, air travel is immensely safe, and I have difficulty going to believe that the the insane amounts of money we're dumping into this could possibly improve that safety record by more than fractions of fractions of a percentage point.

e: Incidentally, where's the suggestion that we're going to get better geology out of this whole thing? I thought we just signed $50m over to some private company to go check this stuff out for us?

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

It's not required, but as a political stunt it's completely bulletproof. It would also allow inserting ICAC with a provision of requiring bipartisan support to change its funding or its terms of reference.
It sounds like a pretty good plan.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Too loving happy in here by half!

Things going to poo poo because of terrible people with no talent being terrible?

Lets crank out the good ol' 'loving dem Browns! Am I right?'

Hockey vigorously blaming Labor for not passing a budget that in no way addresses jobs growth and has in fact caused both the spike in unemployment AND a drop in business confidence? :irony:

Telstra has now started advertising about the amazing NBN deals they can provide. That's got to be transgressing fair advertising guidelines. Which loving National Broadband Network is Telstra going to connect you to? The ads being pushed here in Kempsey makes it 100% :ironicat:

All things considered, today's Australian was on the 'bell pepper' mild side. Until they outdo the swan/Gillard budget edition everything they publish will pale in comparison. The full page anti Abbott IPA ad was hilarious though.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

ColtMcAsskick posted:

The full page anti Abbott IPA ad was hilarious though.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Those On My Left posted:

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the government weren't crying poor and defunding everything in sight, including exactly the kind of research that would ordinarily yield the kind of information
e: Incidentally, where's the suggestion that we're going to get better geology out of this whole thing? I thought we just signed $50m over to some private company to go check this stuff out for us?

I understood the indian ocean to be poorly mapped. Any search effort would improve the mapping and understanding of a bit of the planet we don't know about.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Dollars transferred to The Australian for this ad: $38,000
Effect on future LNP election campaigns: Significant, negative
Effect on public policy: 0

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If there was ever any doubt about the idiocy of the IPA, just remember, they paid $38k for that.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Gough Suppressant posted:

I am literally weeping for the bourgeoise private health consumers

I'm a bourgeoise private health consumer who has gone into debt to keep paying my premiums in case I need to go to hospital for my manic depression because public wards are suicide factories, do go on.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Hey, I'm sure all of those Australians who were undecided about the issue have since picked up a copy of The Australian and are now convinced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Spending money on something that shouldn't exist because capital makes you vulnerable without it is ideologically incorrect, now excuse me I have some farts to huff.

• Locked thread