Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Welcome to Season 5's League of Legends Thread!
Previous thread
Newbie Thread
Competitive League of Legends Thread
Fantasy League of Legends Thread
:siren: Get Tristana, Alistar, and Garen for free!:siren:

What is League of Legends?
League of Legends is a multiplayer online battle arena game based loosely off of the famous DotA mod of WC3. They have changed sufficiently over the past few years that they're both different games. The objective is to destroy the enemy base controlling one of many champions and duking it out against other player champions or AI. Like many games of this genre, it is completely free to play and has microtransactions that only change the game cosmetically. There are four game maps currently: Summoner's Rift(5v5), Twisted Treeline(3v3), Howling Abyss(5v5 in a single lane), and Dominion(5v5 with different objectives).

What's the difference between League and similar games?
-No gold loss on death
-Summoner Spells, powerful abilities on fairly long cooldowns that can change the outcome of fights
-Recall, a spell that takes your champion back to base to purchase items
-Level caps at 18
-Some champions possess other resources than mana and are gated by cooldowns
-Mana Costs/Cooldowns/CC effects are typically small. The strongest CC lasts 3.5 seconds but has to be used at extreme ranges
-Scaling for mage champions
-Runes and Masteries, allowing customization for specific roles
-Account levels from 1 to 30. Progressive unlocks of Rune Pages to modify your champion's initial stats

How do I earn Champions and the other stuff?
There are two currencies in League of Legends. The first is IP, indicated by the little pair of swords on your client. These points are used for buying champions, rune pages, and runes in particular and are earned by playing the game. The second is RP, indicated by the little fist icon to next to the swords. This is currency you pay a bit of real cash to get. These are redeemable for champions, skins, packs (skins and champions bundled), rune pages, name changes, and a variety of other services.

I know plenty of people that have never purchased a single champion with RP. You can easily play the game without having to pay a cent.

There is also a leveling system where your account goes from 1-30. As you get further along and to 30, you will be pitted against other 30s, and they will have full access to runepages and mastery setups. You can purchase(with real money) boosts of IP and XP if you want to speed up the process.

Rune Pages

So, one of the major customizable features of League of Legends is the rune page. You start with two if you've recently made a new account. There are three tiers of runes.
:siren:NEVER BUY T2 RUNES.:siren:

Here's a few generalist pages that will get you by once you hit 30. Feel free to purchase T1 runes of these types as you level up:

AD:

Attack Damage Reds / Armor Yellows / Magic Resist (Flat or Scaling) Blues / Attack Damage Quintessences
This is ideal for your Marksmen, AD Bruisers top, a variety of Junglers, and Supports. Anything that emphasizes hitting harder with your auto attacks or physical damage spells will use this well.

AP:

Magic Penetration Reds / Armor Yellows / Magic Resist (Flat or Scaling) Blues / Ability Power Quintessences
Ideal for casters of virtually any type, these gives you a fair bit of penetration for your spells, defenses, and a bit of Ability Power to scale your magic damage spells early on.

There are many, many more runes that you can use. Marksmen and some bruisers utilize life steal quints, some Junglers use attack speed reds, and movespeed quints are incredibly valuable for all classes. They are all purchasable with IP.

Streamers
Let me know if you're a streamer, link it and I'll do my best to put it in here.
http://www.twitch.tv/saltyteemo/ SaltyTeemo - Bronze 5 Featured Games
https://www.twitch.tv/mmmyes Fourte's Stream
https://www.twitch.tv/mynameiskog Technorobot/K0g's Stream
https://www.twitch.tv/ohmarcy Marceline Abadeer / Oh Marceline
http://www.twitch.tv/jumblejon Jumble Jon
http://www.twitch.tv/daemonlasher Daemonlasher / Wrath

As always: :frogsiren:BUY WARDS:frogsiren:

Quick Links:
Official Site
Stat Tracking
OP.GG Stat Tracking
Mumble Info
General League News
League Wiki
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3579028 Fourte's Let's Play thread
https://champion.gg Stat tracking of champ winrates/item builds based off platinum+ games
Hop in the in-client channel SilverSquid on NA to get games going!

Also:

Equally Important:

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

"Teach Me How To Gowby"

Aye! aye!
Teach me how to gowby (aye!)

[Verse 1:]
They be like dude (what?)
Can you teach me how to gowby?
You know why?
'Cause all the posters loathe me (aye)
All I need is a thread that's super bumping
And for you, you, and you to back it up and dump it!
Put your arms on the keyboard, lean in your chair
They gon be on you when they see you hit submit reply there
Ain't nobody loving with my bro from league of legends
He go by eggcornz and he hit that 'rift like thunder
I ain't from fyad but I I troll like I be
I show my moves off, now errybody tryna disprove me
I leave the function and all the diamonds tryina screw me
Now you just do you and I'm a do me (all day)
Diamonds love to hate so they try to screw me
Bitches be stuck to me, I think they tryna glue me
I make the thread shine bright when it started glooming
This thread was bubble gum so I had to chew it

[Chorus: x2]
Teach me how to gowby
Teach me how to gowby
Teach me how to gowby
Teach me how to gowby
All the posters loathe me
All the, all the posters loathe me
All the posters loathe me me
You ain't loving with my gowby!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v6rHsQcgno

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
Silver Whinning's, huh

Good OP, looking forward to a few hundred more pages of complaining about Diamonds oppressing the lower ranks.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
"Lulz I'm the best, you're 4 stars."

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
New players: Don't take any advice from this thread, everyone is an idiot and wrong about everything. Go to the newbie thread where people who haven't played summoner's rift for months will give you great advice.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
yeah I'm liking this thread. bring it.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Darth Windu posted:

New players: Don't take any advice from this thread, everyone is an idiot and wrong about everything. Go to the newbie thread where people who haven't played summoner's rift for months will give you great advice.

this but unironically

Ready for another nine hundred pages of people doing dumb things all the time and Methanar showing off how skilled he is at 3700 ping.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Trip Report: Sion still has trash can feet

E: Also everyone was wrong about Sona

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
RIP KAYLE

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Beautiful start

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

The definitive league of legends tier list:

http://www.riotdelete.us/

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Is the thread title meant to read "Silver whining?" Otherwise I don't get it

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Also I dunno if anyone in the last thread mentioned this but:

Time to join the glorious evolution! :black101:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I played Sona/Soraka bot lane with a friend last night, we lost but it was the most hilariously cheesy thing I've done in ages.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Argh my tables

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

New thread name is great. Still no Dunning Kruger.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Etrips posted:

Argh my tables

Listen I lovingly crafted that in mspaint over a grueling 15 minutes, if you know how to resize it you tell me

while still keeping it visible and not timg'd

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
mikujin.gif where

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Bubble-T posted:

I played Sona/Soraka bot lane with a friend last night, we lost but it was the most hilariously cheesy thing I've done in ages.

Reposting last thread suggestion because it's amazing.

Yorick/Soraka bot lane duo. If there's something more rear end in a top hat than that, I dunno what it is. Every time we run it in normals, we consider the game a failure if the other bot lane hasn't ragequit or started spamming allchat by 15 mins. It's the most fun you can possibly have being a dick to everyone in this game

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Didn't we have a gif of all those hilariously bad Fiddles ults near the end of last thread? Or was it just a cut down youtube video.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
good op servaetseteses.

now to never post in this thread again.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
The Thread Is Dead.

Long Live The Thread.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

MrTheDevious posted:

Reposting last thread suggestion because it's amazing.

Yorick/Soraka bot lane duo. If there's something more rear end in a top hat than that, I dunno what it is. Every time we run it in normals, we consider the game a failure if the other bot lane hasn't ragequit or started spamming allchat by 15 mins. It's the most fun you can possibly have being a dick to everyone in this game

I did this when I first got Yorick and it was fun to spam spooky ghosts indefinitely.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I pick Fiora and blame my losses on her being a bad champ.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I blame all my losses on bad teammates

edit: someone just banned Warwick on ranked, what is the world coming to?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Didn't we have a gif of all those hilariously bad Fiddles ults near the end of last thread? Or was it just a cut down youtube video.

I think it's just my video. I'm really bad at making gifs for some reason it's like voodoo magic to me.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Zaodai posted:

It was a youtube video. It's in the 2nd post, in all it's glory :allears:

(ground floor motherfuckers)

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
If I get a post on the first page I WILL make it to gold before the end of the season

Have they announced who the Victorious skin will be yet this year?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wish me luck in my run to diamond 3 before i start this year of college and never play league again

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
In before an infinite number of posts in the new thread go "hey remember <champion that everyone thought sucked>, well I forgot all about the enormous changes Riot made to them in the most recent patch, didn't read the notes, but I've nevertheless decided to post and brag so I can lord over everyone in here how smart I am... oh whoops."

Here's my 4.13 tier list/website (repost):
http://pryorability.blogspot.com/2014/08/league-of-legends-tier-list-patch-413.html

Serv, if I made an enormous effort post with general rune/mastery setups for a variety of roles and popular champions would you want it for the OP? Alternatively we could try to steer people to some of the better resources that have come out since the last major update to the OP, stuff like probuilds and publicly available professional game rune/mastery pages.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Guys, I swear to god I have Gold mechanics. I just like it down in bronze, that's all.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Excellent start.

This game still sucks and so does everyone who plays it :argh:

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Why are we still playing this idiot game for angry bad people?

Please release me

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The only release is death. Call 1-800-TEEMO.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Libertine posted:

In before an infinite number of posts in the new thread go "hey remember <champion that everyone thought sucked>, well I forgot all about the enormous changes Riot made to them in the most recent patch, didn't read the notes, but I've nevertheless decided to post and brag so I can lord over everyone in here how smart I am... oh whoops."

http://pryorability.blogspot.com/2014/08/league-of-legends-tier-list-patch-413.html

Serv, if I made an enormous effort post with general rune/mastery setups for a variety of roles and popular champions would you want it for the OP? Alternatively we could try to steer people to some of the better resources that have come out since the last major update to the OP, stuff like probuilds and publicly available professional game rune/mastery pages.

Boy howdy I can't believe how hard they dumpstered Sona why won't Riot listen to the PBE players :downswords:

TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008

Libertine posted:

Remember when people said mid Ashe was bad? Well,

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.

Bubble-T posted:

Boy howdy I can't believe how hard they dumpstered Sona why won't Riot listen to the PBE players :downswords:

It's not that they dumpstered Sona, it's just such a confusing unnecessary rework on so many levels. Pick rate went up slightly, now it's back to normal. Win rate went up. She's going to eat some nerfs next patch probably and be in no better position or playing level of satisfaction, in my opinion.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Witters posted:

It's not that they dumpstered Sona, it's just such a confusing unnecessary rework on so many levels. Pick rate went up slightly, now it's back to normal. Win rate went up. She's going to eat some nerfs next patch probably and be in no better position or playing level of satisfaction, in my opinion.

I think they achieved their objectives - her spells and auras are less spammy, way clearer and more interactive with your allies. All of that without harming her pick or win rate sounds like a job well done to me.

Also the point is there were many, many people complaining that she was going to be total garbage and that this had been proven by playing her on the PBE, not just 'not in a better position conceptually' or whatever your conclusion is.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Bubble-T posted:

It's funny how after the rework she's like exactly identical win rate as before despite having massive changes done to her kit. It's so bizarre. I can't even imagine how you could have pulled that off if you specifically tried to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Yea seems like mission accomplished on Sona's rework. They have more tangible things to balance on her kit so she can be adjusted up and down, it looks 100% cooler when you're using her kit now, and she basically does the same as she did before but slightly better.

I think the aura zones are pretty cool and its fun to go around in a teamfight 'tagging' people and helping.

• Locked thread