Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Fors Yard posted:

Nevermind I guess I was mistaken. Looks like only the arpeggio. Guess there wouldn't be too much demand for it.

It's just the patented Roland-fail at doing anything right since the mid-nineties.
That magic trigger-sequencer combo is at least 50% of the reason of ever wanting to have an actual SH-101.
You just can't write them crazy stepping patterns like that with just plain MIDI-notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Completely agree. I wish more had it and I think that's part of why I don't lust after a 303 as much. I've had some good results in "acid" programming and weird melodies that you otherwise probably wouldn't have come up with, but you also get a more versatile synth. I also have the JX-3P and played with that a bit, but not the same with a poly. Before I lucked out on the MC-500 I was planning on doubling the trigger out of the 707 (or finding a 606 for two independent trigs) and just using that to make little loops. Thank god I didn't get sucked into that; would have been hellish to program all those rests. At least the 3P gives you some visual interface with the preset buttons lighting up for steps plus saving sequences to tape.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

:words: It's not a very good sequencer but if you can get over it being bad it's kind of good! :words:

I really disliked the key interface specifically because it lacks any tactile-ness. With a x0xb0x or any other TB-303 type unit you're clicking down little keys to input your notes, with the TB-3 you're touching a touchpad to enter notes. If you happen to touch the edge of one of the keys on the TB-3 it might enter the wrong note, but you won't even know it's the wrong note until you run your sequence (or step backwards while entering your sequence but the fact that you'd even find it necessary to check brings the TB-3 down a peg for usability). There's just something more satisfying with clicking a button or mashing a touchpad.

Also with adding accent/slide, the keys for doing that will be bright when it's off, brighter when it's on. This leads to a little bit of annoyance as well since you can't quickly determine if accent/slide is on when scrolling through your sequence. On a x0xb0x, the LEDs for accent and slide are either on or off and it will light up when the sequencer plays that note. Much more intuitive considering you can't even see when an accent/slide is being triggered because those areas do not light up when the TB-3 sequencer is running.

In terms of its actual sequencing, it's a fine solid sequencer. I did try running an external sequence into the TB-3 just for fun. Maybe I need to set my note velocities to 127 or something but my KORG ESX-1 sequencing the TB-3 produced very unsatisfactory results. The sounds in the TB-3 didn't seem to play out correctly, the notes triggered but the sounds were not very loud, it was kind of like when you set the Attack of an envelope really high and barely anything plays before the next note is triggered. I'm not sure what I did incorrectly.

Maybe some of this is nitpicky but I've just had better results using other hardware. Calling a TB-3 the acid box can't get any farther from the truth, there's much better equipment out there. I'm sure some people will interpret the above criticisms as unjustified bashing of a precious Roland future-classic acid powerhouse but I'm just trying to express some thoughts on using the box practically in a production environment, not from a brand loyalty perspective or evaluating the instrument in a vacuum.

EDIT: on a more positive note, I also got a Mopho from my trade and I actually am kind of digging it! I've listened to some reviews and sound demos on Youtube and wasn't that satisfied but I decided I might as well give it a go. I'm going to set up a Novation Remote template and do some live twiddling before I really make up my mind one way or the other but the presets do a good job at demonstrating the versatility of the sound engine and sequencer. Unlike other machines where I've had low expectations and have been semi-impressed, I was actually really impressed with what the Mopho could do. With the other machines I have in my setup, the Mopho is a bit redundant, but it's very small and could make for a good gigging box. Will have to play with it more.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 6, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

net work error posted:

The previous videos from TE they mention that the videos made thus far are still just the prototype and the final product will actually come with a case and sturdier construction although the PCB look is pretty cool.

Oh thank god. The PO-12 sounds amazing but my cats are both raging assholes when it comes to not damaging gear so that was the huge reservation about getting that. I do hope they include some sort of MIDI in/out, probably not via 5-pin but at least put on a micro-usb port on it or something like the OP-1 has.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Let's just be perfectly clear that you're comparing two machines that only marginally try to do the same thing and arriving at the conclusion that alternatives that cost around twice as much are technically better. You seem hellbent on viewing the TB-3 as a pure 303 clone rather than looking at it on it's own merits.

Have you even messed around with the B/C banks? Have you discovered the glory that is accent faking a sidechain on bass patches? If you want to know what sounds like the best 303, yeah it's going to be the bottom of the pile in terms of sound. Is it a bad synth? Not at all. Also I've never had problems with the TB-3 sequencer, I don't know if you've got Parkinson's or sausage fingers but it's not that prone to incorrect entries.

e. I will take up arms to defend the honour of the TB-3. :buddy:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

e. I will take up arms to defend the honour of the TB-3. :buddy:
I was really trying to come up with some sort of "white knighting" comment involving the letters T, B, and the number 3, but couldn't make anything work.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I'm just gonna quote my own posts here since you clearly didn't read them:

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I'm not even coming at this instrument from a "this is a good TB303 clone", I wanted to try it out just as a fun toy, maybe something I could use to sequence other gear with if the sounds aren't great.

The only thing that interested me about the TB-3 were the other sounds actually. I knew enough from reading reviews and other people's comments to know that I won't be happy with it as an acid machine so maybe it would suffice as a quirky VA bass instrument.

The x0xb0x is a TB-303 clone and is the most accurate both electronically and sound-wise you're going to get to the real thing. The TB-3 is not a clone, it's a completely different PCB and circuit design, it's VA, and I can't even confirm there's a synth engine in there since Roland's marketing materials about ACB don't describe any technical details. I would not be surprised if the TB-3 was actually using samples.

It's not a fair comparison to weigh a x0xb0x against a TB-3 which is why I don't compare them in any of my posts at all. Mentioning how things work on a x0xb0x or any other TB-303 clone is not a comparison, and if it was a shot for shot comparison, the TB-3 would lose spectacularly. And yes, I immediately went to the B/C bank when I first played with the instrument because I knew from the get go it's not going to do a good 303 sound. Those sound banks not that great and I can make those sounds with every other instrument I own. And further, what does it say when you create a TB-3 as an homage to the TB-303, market it as TB-303 2.0, and even the OWNERS of the TB-3 agree "It's not the best 303 by a long shot".

But to each their own. I don't need to labor my criticisms any longer and drag this thread further down in yet ANOTHER Dotcom Jillionaire vs. WAFFLEHOUND cage match. One thing I can say for sure though is that my next purchase is a x0xb0x.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Speaking of acid sequencers, there's also this awesome Stepper Acid eurorack module that looks pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ2M8dHBexU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Just so you know I'm pretty certain the TT-303 is considered to have a more accurate sound than the x0xb0x.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Just so you know I'm pretty certain the TT-303 is considered to have a more accurate sound than the x0xb0x.

That would be quite the trick to achieve, considering the X0Xbox quite literally uses the same exact circuits as a real 303 for it's sound generation circuits. Provided you can find the same transistors the original 303 used in it's filter (they've been out of production for decades now) and are willing to rip the BA662 amp chip out of an old Boss pedal, you can build a X0X with 100% identical schematics and components to a factory original 303.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man I want the moog sub 37 and I might be able to sneak into getting one by the end of the month, but I haven't really squirreled the money away...

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

minidracula posted:

I was really trying to come up with some sort of "white knighting" comment involving the letters T, B, and the number 3, but couldn't make anything work.

Mo-b03

done

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Hey, Sizone, I've got of EZ-CZ memory cartridges here if you're desperate to archive your killer phase modulation patches off-device in case your RAM battery mod flakes out. Each stores 4 banks of patches thanks to two small DIP switches and the magic of upper bit memory buss binary addressing.

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014
So, once again I poke my head in to remind people that Chipmusic is a thing that exists.

I got an arduinoboy, which lets me get 5-pin midi out from LSDj. I'm using it to drive a Volca keys and a Shruthi. It sounds something like this.

https://soundcloud.com/mrwimmer/i-can-wip

I am having entirely too much fun with this. It's really nice to be able to drive hardware I like with software I like more :dance:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ynohtna posted:

Hey, Sizone, I've got of EZ-CZ memory cartridges here if you're desperate to archive your killer phase modulation patches off-device in case your RAM battery mod flakes out. Each stores 4 banks of patches thanks to two small DIP switches and the magic of upper bit memory buss binary addressing.

Probably, if the price is right. 16 patches without resorting to midi dumping really isn't that much.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
So my friend owns a Microbrute and I have a TR-8, we are starting to make some pretty cool beeps and boops but we want to build toward a setup we can use without a computer. So I assume that next we need some sort of sampler/loop device, and an outboard mixer?

So far we have just been recording into Ableton so we don't really know where to go from here and some advice would be great.

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014

Firaga posted:

So my friend owns a Microbrute and I have a TR-8, we are starting to make some pretty cool beeps and boops but we want to build toward a setup we can use without a computer. So I assume that next we need some sort of sampler/loop device, and an outboard mixer?

So far we have just been recording into Ableton so we don't really know where to go from here and some advice would be great.

I don't see why you NEED a sampler. If you want sync between the sequencers, you should just be able to go midi out of one box to the midi in of the other. An outboard mixer would be helpful, yes.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I guess I'm just confused with how we are supposed to play a full track without saving a 16 bar loop then building a new patch etc. I guess we just need more synths and just sync them together. Still trying to understand how all of this works exactly.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Firaga posted:

I guess I'm just confused with how we are supposed to play a full track without saving a 16 bar loop then building a new patch etc. I guess we just need more synths and just sync them together. Still trying to understand how all of this works exactly.

Ah, I think I see some of the confusion here. Pretty much anything other than the microbrute would be polytimbrle, or at least able to accept program changes via midi. Really, what you need to do is buy another synth. Sampling the microbrute and then using it as a backing tape is probably going to end in tears.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I can see the using the brute for multiple elements being a good learning experience for programming patches though. It will force you to program in a way that the different sounds won't be too in the way of each other.

Find a cheap MIDI sequencer. That will only give you one "instance" of the brute but you will more seamlessly use the TR. I would recommend a poly synth. I'm amazed at how complete my JX-3P, 707 and 101 sounds and that would be close to what you have (plus a poly) The TR-8 will probably sound better, too. Get a little mixer and ideally a reverb effect so it sounds less flat and dry. As much as I love the 707, I wish it had a little more low end and a longer kick. I sampled as close of an 808 kick made on my 101 with my s1000 so that has been nice.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Sizone posted:

Ah, I think I see some of the confusion here. Pretty much anything other than the microbrute would be polytimbrle, or at least able to accept program changes via midi. Really, what you need to do is buy another synth. Sampling the microbrute and then using it as a backing tape is probably going to end in tears.
Synths and Synthesis: Really, what you need to do is buy another synth.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mrwimmer posted:

I am having entirely too much fun with this. It's really nice to be able to drive hardware I like with software I like more :dance:

I know you didn't post this asking for feedback but it would be a billion times better if you didn't have the synth in the intro playing so goddamn many notes.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

minidracula posted:

Synths and Synthesis: Really, what you need to do is buy another synth.

gently caress, I don't think I can justify asking Het to change the thread name.

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014

Swagger Dagger posted:

I know you didn't post this asking for feedback but it would be a billion times better if you didn't have the synth in the intro playing so goddamn many notes.

I get what you're saying, but we're gonna have to disagree on this one. Having only 4 channels makes it so you have to find creative ways to spell out the big jazz chords I want. So slow arps with lots of delay is the most fun I've had with it so far.

I will probably end up doing some filter sweeps on the keys in that part though. It is a wee bit static, tonally speaking.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

EDIT: I'm working through the process of installing a solid state hard drive and CF card reader into my sampler. I dunno if anyone here uses samplers much (especially vintage units) but I have a whole bunch of useful info to bestow, what products work, which to avoid.

Bestow, son. My CFpowerMONSTER works -fine- with my rs7000 and refuses to work with my stupid asr-x (the thing I bought it for). Actually, I still haven't gotten a software editor working for the asr-x so I guess it doesn't really matter that I don't have anything to save patches I can't create to.
gently caress you Ensoniq, the Asr-X would have been able to do everything I need if it were actually possible to edit from the front panel. Tempted to pick up an Asr-10r, edit patches and samples on it, then dump them to the asr-x.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sizone posted:

Tempted to pick up an Asr-10r, edit patches and samples on it, then dump them to the asr-x.

minidracula posted:

Synths and Synthesis: Really, what you need to do is buy another synth sampler.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
ASR-X did indeed kill my brother, or however you put it last thread.

Yes please make with the infos. The HDD in my kurz is getting slow to spin up and I don't want to fit another old klunker.
Buying another synth- get something multitimbral man, less mucking about syncing. JVs are cheap as hell these days. TX802 is great and cheap too especially if you like FM percussion.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone posted:

Probably, if the price is right. 16 patches without resorting to midi dumping really isn't that much.

I've lost track of the WaveStation and 303 exchange rates, so how about cost of postage (from UK) and a pint for both carts? Even if I do get my own CZ-1000 back (been on permanent loan since the late 90s), I really don't need that many patches.

Swagger Dagger posted:

playing so goddamn many notes.

chip-tune-aesthetics-101.txt

EDIT: I'm working through the process of installing a solid state hard drive and CF card reader into my sampler. I dunno if anyone here uses samplers much (especially vintage units) but I have a whole bunch of useful info to bestow, what products work, which to avoid.

Please please please share! I've been at the cusp of replacing the (now 100% non-functional) floppy drive in my Studio 440 for ages, but each time I research CF readers I literally recoil from pre-emptive compatibility confusion and stress.

ObSoundsReallyDoGetRecordedSometime: https://soundcloud.com/ynohtna/arboria-auralist-spaladonia-phantoms-floating-in

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mrwimmer posted:

So, once again I poke my head in to remind people that Chipmusic is a thing that exists.

I got an arduinoboy, which lets me get 5-pin midi out from LSDj. I'm using it to drive a Volca keys and a Shruthi. It sounds something like this.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this new chiptune synth that came out recently which is Arduino based as well:
http://soulsbysynths.com/atmegatron-complete/

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014

net work error posted:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this new chiptune synth that came out recently which is Arduino based as well:
http://soulsbysynths.com/atmegatron-complete/

If you had asked me last march, I would have said it was an incredibly overpriced and kind of underwhelming arduino synth. But nowadays, with basically just an FTDI cable, it's an underwhelming subtractive synth, a pretty cool wavetable synth, and a shiny new lofi drum machine!

https://soundcloud.com/soulsby-synthesizers/the-atmegadrum

I like lo-fi drums a little too much though.

Personally, I think that "chippy" sounds really shine when they're edited with the greatest of granularity, so I don't know if a traditional hardware synth is really well suited for getting the most out of it. Also it's still a little pricey. Wait for there to be some sort of diy version available again?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Mrwimmer posted:

Personally, I think that "chippy" sounds really shine when they're edited with the greatest of granularity, so I don't know if a traditional hardware synth is really well suited for getting the most out of it. Also it's still a little pricey. Wait for there to be some sort of diy version available again?

My thoughts on it were similar. Especially these days, its price is pretty drat close to what 1st gen monomachines are going for. That nets you a lot more variety (FM, SID, etc) and plocks allow for quite a lot of that granularity. The footprint certainly is nice though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Hey Waffles, you still selling the .MIX or did you already get rid of it?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Fairly elaborate ipad step sequence coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTKa89C-PRc

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Hey Waffles, you still selling the .MIX or did you already get rid of it?

I sold it, all I've got left is a case, a PEG, and a Doepfer exponential mixer.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Thanks for the info guys, I need to look into all of these things now. Maybe I'll just open a line of credit and take out a mortgage for a euro rack.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

That's the spirit, synth yourself to ash

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ynohtna posted:

I've lost track of the WaveStation and 303 exchange rates, so how about cost of postage (from UK) and a pint for both carts? Even if I do get my own CZ-1000 back (been on permanent loan since the late 90s), I really don't need that many patches.

Sounds good. I can be reached at

shabbaranks.loverman@gmail.com

http://www.webuser.co.uk/websites/online-fun-blog/websites/492636/brewdog-launches-world-s-strongest-beer-in-a-squirrel

edit: I'll be damned, I think I may actually finish a song before the month is out.
edit 2: hey waffle's xoxbox, stay dry

Sizone fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 8, 2014

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Firaga posted:

Thanks for the info guys, I need to look into all of these things now. Maybe I'll just open a line of credit and take out a mortgage for a euro rack.

After your done playing with those toys, you should check out this one company called Buchla.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried buchla"

Mods please move this thread to TCC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried buchla"

This is the best thing I've ever read