Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Drifter posted:

They're selling to a group of people who value what they remember more than what really is, so it's to their advantage to throw around every possible buzzword they can poke a twelve foot stick at.

All those grogs up there are getting mad, but they're just trying to maximize their sales.

I want to kickstart the gently caress out of a Blast Processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I think that's why after Dark Souls became a hit every single kickstarter was ROGUELIKE THIS or DARK SOULS INSPIRED that. I love those two types of games and I still found it kind of insane.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Have you ever wished an Ouya was in Mario Kart? Have you??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCWWQhnRtoI

I have and now my dreams are realized in Super Indie World Karts Indie Kart Racer World
I hate everything about this video.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I couldn't even finish that video, it was so loving boring.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

People should actually use 16 bit when that's what they're making though - I swear there was a kickstarter a while back where they were clearly using Sega Genesis styling and directly referenced "like Sonic 3" and "like Genesis" but called it "8-bit". :downs:

I just take that as a sign that the people behind the project are just gaming hipsters who are waaaaay too young to have played any of the games they are name-dropping when they were current (if indeed they have EVER played them)

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I decided to check out the iOS release of Godus and holy poo poo people really weren't kidding about the boring gameplay and ridiculous levels of IAP panhandling.

It's bad enough that the gameplay is just 'tap tap tap tap tap' over and over, but there are multiple IAP timers that prevent you from even doing that. When I say I can't play the game for more than five minutes that's not me being melodramatic; after tapping a piece of land to flatten it and tapping it some more to build a few houses on it there is literally nothing left to do: I can't sculpt more land until one timer completes and I can't build anything else until a second timer completes. I found another paywall in the form of stickers needed to unlock new techs: the only non-IAP options I found for obtaining these are chests hidden in the main map (which don't give you nearly enough), or repeatedly running an obstacle course. Access to this obstacle course is (naturally) restricted by yet another timer. At this point I chose to delete the game.

The only real difference between this and the likes of Candy Crush is that those games at least manage to entertain you for ten minutes before they shake the can in your face. Godus just goes through a repeated cycle of disappointing you, then vaguely promising to do better later if you give it one more chance.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DoctorTristan posted:

Godus just goes through a repeated cycle of disappointing you, then vaguely promising to do better later if you give it one more chance.
The Peter Molyneux way.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
How the hell did Molyneux screw up this badly? I mean, as disappointing as most of his games have been, they were at least games. This doesn't sound like, well, anything really.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
He has to dig himself out of the $14 million hole that he dug creating his master cube.

The Vampyre Story people launched a Kickstarter for a pirate adventure game which I don't think I've seen posted here.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

He has to dig himself out of the $14 million hole that he dug creating his master cube.

Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard anything about how much they'd made/lost on that cube thing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

How did he lose $14 million dollars creating an iOS app. How.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Falcon2001 posted:

I think that's why after Dark Souls became a hit every single kickstarter was ROGUELIKE THIS or DARK SOULS INSPIRED that. I love those two types of games and I still found it kind of insane.

It's just the classic "follow the leader" attitude you see in any creative medium. I mean if Kickstarter existed a few decades ago, we'd probably have seen a lot of "DOOM STYLE ACTION" or "INSPIRED BY MYST" or "LIKE DEUS EX" (actually I'd kind of like to see a few more people take a stab at the last one). People get inspired by the media they enjoy, so something that's hugely popular is probably going to inspire a lot of people.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The hugely successful Pong meets Pac-Man kickstarter of the early 1980s

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
This: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/462029764/fritz-a-video-game-about-world-war-one

quote:

Fritz is a German soldier in the trenches of WW1. Bond with trenchmates and fend off the French in this PC game. Every choice matters.

A modest goal and an interesting premise, I hope that this thing succeeds.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DoctorTristan posted:

Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard anything about how much they'd made/lost on that cube thing.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

How did he lose $14 million dollars creating an iOS app. How.
I was joking. I thought I picked a number high enough to make it clear but I guess Molyneux is so much of a joke at this point that any number I picked would've sounded plausible.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I was joking. I thought I picked a number high enough to make it clear but I guess Molyneux is so much of a joke at this point that any number I picked would've sounded plausible.

The number was big enough to sound completely ridiculous, but still sounds less ridiculous than stuff Molyneux says on a regular basis.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I thought Curiosity was ridiculously successful for how stupid and low effort it was. Was that just PR poo poo to try and get people to pledge to Godus?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Count Uvula posted:

I thought Curiosity was ridiculously successful for how stupid and low effort it was. Was that just PR poo poo to try and get people to pledge to Godus?

No, you see, the winner became the HEAD GOD OF GODUS. Which . . . um . . .

What does that even do again?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The Vampyre Story people launched a Kickstarter for a pirate adventure game which I don't think I've seen posted here.

I like how blatant they are about how much they are ripping off monkey island.

Also, I'm totally calling that the game is going to turn out to secretly be episodic, and won't have an actual ending. They did that poo poo with The Vampyre Story.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's just the classic "follow the leader" attitude you see in any creative medium. I mean if Kickstarter existed a few decades ago, we'd probably have seen a lot of "DOOM STYLE ACTION" or "INSPIRED BY MYST" or "LIKE DEUS EX" (actually I'd kind of like to see a few more people take a stab at the last one). People get inspired by the media they enjoy, so something that's hugely popular is probably going to inspire a lot of people.

Early first person shooter games were actually called "Doom clones" because the game was so influential on their design. Up until System Shock first person shooters followed the same formula. Games like Saint's Row were also referred to as "GTA clones" until we determined that the term "sandbox" worked just fine, and as DOTA-like games are becoming more prevalent we're seeing gaming culture decide what we ought to name those games now too.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

Early first person shooter games were actually called "Doom clones" because the game was so influential on their design. Up until System Shock first person shooters followed the same formula. Games like Saint's Row were also referred to as "GTA clones" until we determined that the term "sandbox" worked just fine, and as DOTA-like games are becoming more prevalent we're seeing gaming culture decide what we ought to name those games now too.

MOBA?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
MOBA is already kind of becoming kind of a nebulous buzzword though, i.e. they called the new Legacy of Kain, Nosgoth, a MOBA but its a team-based arena FPS.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

They're selling to a group of people who value what they remember more than what really is, so it's to their advantage to throw around every possible buzzword they can poke a twelve foot stick at.

All those grogs up there are getting mad, but they're just trying to maximize their sales.

Exactly! gently caress, I doubt many SNES-era kids could tell you what a Mode 7 was then, or even now without a trip to Wikipedia.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

Exactly! gently caress, I doubt many SNES-era kids could tell you what a Mode 7 was then, or even now without a trip to Wikipedia.

They definitely talked about it in gaming magazines and marketing materials. I remember knowing what it was called when I played Contra III.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
They talked about it, sure, the same way they talked about Blast Processing or the way carts had x 'megs' of something. Most Nintendo Power readers wouldn't come away with anything more complex than 'it makes Koopa Kids stretch out and turn around', so anything that makes a sprite stretch out and turn around is easy enough to hook on to the same name.

Everyone back then knew that only Nintendo could do it though, but that was thanks more to Lord of the Flies level console warring than an understanding of the techniques involved.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

ASSFAGGOTS :colbert:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Apparently Project Eternity is going to stop accepting funding on Aug 22nd, so if you want to get it cheaper than retail, hit them up before them. Looks like they'll hit their last and final stretch goal of 4 mil.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Apparently Project Eternity is going to stop accepting funding on Aug 22nd, so if you want to get it cheaper than retail, hit them up before them. Looks like they'll hit their last and final stretch goal of 4 mil.

They actually hit it when the project originally concluded thanks to paypal donations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Metal Meltdown posted:

They actually hit it when the project originally concluded thanks to paypal donations.

Oh sweet, I was going off of Kickstarter.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, I'm totally calling that the game is going to turn out to secretly be episodic, and won't have an actual ending. They did that poo poo with The Vampyre Story.
Wouldn't be the first time. They seem to be constantly trying to recapture that Monkey Island magic (they're former LucasArts devs) but never quite hitting the mark.

On related news, there's also a Kickstarter for Kaptain Brawe 2, another point'n'click adventure being led by Steve Ince (Broken Sword) and Bill Tiller (The Curse of Monkey Island).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Monkey Island is pretty fun but it's still extremely hard, but Monkey Island 2 is basically impossible without a guide. That was my huge barrier to enjoying them. I eventually just started using a guide for every puzzle in Monkey Island 2, confident in my decision because I never would have figured out the majority of that poo poo.

Ironically I skipped Curse for reasons unknown. I don't think I needed a guide for Monkey Island 4 (except for a part involving termites and peg legs, which was actually clever in hindsight), though people really hate that game. It was my first Monkey Island so I have a soft spot for it. This game reminds me a lot of 4.

Isn't that font used in Monkey Island in some way?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 10, 2014

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Their concept art of the jail cell is clearly ripped straight out of Monkey Island 2, right down to the shelves with the two envelopes on it.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Their concept art of the jail cell is clearly ripped straight out of Monkey Island 2, right down to the shelves with the two envelopes on it.

Monkey Island 2:

Monkey Island 2 - Special Edition:

Duke Grabowski:

I knew that it immediately reminded me of Monkey Island 2, but wooooooooow.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Great Rumbler posted:

Monkey Island 2:

Duke Grabowski:

*eyes are popping* is that elaine

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I mean, it is the same artist, so yeah, but that's still p shameful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Great Rumbler posted:

Monkey Island 2:

Duke Grabowski:

Wow, yeah, that's pretty drat blatant.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Guys guys it's just an homage

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I mean, it is the same artist, so yeah, but that's still p shameful.

Bill Tiller only did the backgrounds for Curse of Monkey Island; Monkey Island 2 had backgrounds by Peter Chan, Steve Purcell, Sean Turner and James Dollar.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Man, look where that hand's grabbing.

Devs are so sexist these days.