Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Libertine posted:

I saw on reddit that someone is making a league vs Dota mod in the Dota 2 engine and trying to put all the characters from both games in it. I would really like to see that but doubt he will ever finish it. Apparently he was streaming some of his early work but when I went to check it out it was offline.

Maybe if he does complete it, it will bring some closure to the group of people that obsess over comparisons between the games and lose their minds over it.

poo poo I would play that with the caveat that Tides of Blood from WC3 and HoN characters get added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Libertine posted:

I saw on reddit that someone is making a league vs Dota mod in the Dota 2 engine and trying to put all the characters from both games in it.

Sounds goddamn bananas and I would play the poo poo out of it.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Servaetes posted:

When you all first started playing League, what was your best worst opinion? I thought Tear was the most overpowered item. Especially on Amumu. Coming from DotA 1 I thought "Holy poo poo infinite Heartstopper Aura!" I also rushed it on Nasus because holy crap never any mana problems again!

I liked Cho but couldn't land his Q so I built Atma's and Phantom Dancer so I could just autoattack people :downs:

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Assuming you're referring to the Chinese streamer, he's far from getting it finished (although it's only been 3 days since the tools were released). So far he's got the map mostly finished and apparently he was working on Garen and a couple items.

Another (unrelated) guy is also trying to port the League map to the Source2 engine and he put up a couple of WIP screenshots: http://defenseofthelegends.tumblr.com/

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

glomkettle posted:

I liked Cho but couldn't land his Q so I built Atma's and Phantom Dancer so I could just autoattack people :downs:

This is something I've always wanted to try, just for fun, building a tanky as hell champ as you would an ADC, I might try it with a mage too, maybe ziggs.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

itsjustdrew posted:

This is something I've always wanted to try, just for fun, building a tanky as hell champ as you would an ADC, I might try it with a mage too, maybe ziggs.

I imagine it would have worked at least a little better if I ever lived long enough to get more than one stack of my ult (which I didn't like using on minions because that would be a waste of damage I could be using to kill people)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mortons stork posted:

The guy who mentioned it before reminded me to ask: has there ever been a reason to build stark's fervor in the last 3 years?
Also what happened to soul shroud, cause I only now got reminded that item existed and yet I used to build it every game on support. They took away a lot of poo poo I apparently don't miss at all. Like mana manipulator.

Support Volibear. :getin: :tbear: (The trash can is your team's chances of winning the game if you do this.)

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

glomkettle posted:

I imagine it would have worked at least a little better if I ever lived long enough to get more than one stack of my ult (which I didn't like using on minions because that would be a waste of damage I could be using to kill people)

Eh, gently caress it, use your auto attack to kill, and if you get a bonus slow on them or knock up with a Q ( I think, the spikes from the ground, it's been a while.) THEN and only then would I use your R.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Bruiser Cho is fine, AS runes, one AS item, then full tank. Silence and Q anyone who dives your carries. No loving RoA.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Libertine posted:

I saw on reddit that someone is making a league vs Dota mod in the Dota 2 engine and trying to put all the characters from both games in it. I would really like to see that but doubt he will ever finish it. Apparently he was streaming some of his early work but when I went to check it out it was offline.

Maybe if he does complete it, it will bring some closure to the group of people that obsess over comparisons between the games and lose their minds over it.

This would be really cool, although I wonder if they're planning to port items as well and how well those would translate. I guess you'd have to restrict items to the game that hero is from because some LoL champs would be crazy with Blink and some Dota heroes would be crazy with CDR for example.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
If you are playing any support who gets a little bump from AD (Thresh, Blitz, Ali) and your team has a shitload of auto attackers then Zekes is a good buy. A few times I've bought it as a top laner or marksman in similar circumstances when it functioned fine as a defensive/utility buy and I wasn't really in a position to individually carry, but that's like super rare. It is a really situational item.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

mortons stork posted:

The guy who mentioned it before reminded me to ask: has there ever been a reason to build stark's fervor in the last 3 years?
Also what happened to soul shroud, cause I only now got reminded that item existed and yet I used to build it every game on support. They took away a lot of poo poo I apparently don't miss at all. Like mana manipulator.

I build Stark's Fervor... on Tryndamere... 3 years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfL9Ym1ylM

Also props to Cory for wondering why we are always playing on full servers. That wasted thing says I've spent like 60 days on league. I've went from 1200 mmr in season 2 to 1500-1600 mmr in season 4 with a year break inbetween so I'm pretty pleased with my improvements. I hope to get to plat by the end of this season and im really focusing on improving while playing ranked and on feeding relentlessly when playing normals.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Libertine posted:

If you are playing any support who gets a little bump from AD (Thresh, Blitz, Ali) and your team has a shitload of auto attackers then Zekes is a good buy. A few times I've bought it as a top laner or marksman in similar circumstances when it functioned fine as a defensive/utility buy and I wasn't really in a position to individually carry, but that's like super rare. It is a really situational item.

THERE we go. AD thresh, I know it's been done before, but I REALLY want to try it now.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
No, not AD Thresh, support Thresh with a Zeke's (a support item that has CDR and an AD/LS-boosting aura on it).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
AD Thresh was almost a thing when he came out because he was so over-tuned, but he's been nerfed two dozen times since then and you're an idiot if you try it again. AD Lulu was almost a thing too, but her ratios get nerfed every patch.

People build AD Kayle all the time.

But generally the trick is to build someone AP that's usually a tank or better off in a different roll, since long ago Riot put AP scaling on every ability for god knows why and it created some really funky gimmick builds (AP Tryndamere and AP Master Yi were terrors that Riot reworked so they were impossible to exist).

The most interesting AP -> AD build I can remember doing was building AD Ahri in a one-hour game One-For-All against heimer where I just couldn't stand the loving game anymore and built AD to backdoor towers, and a bit of defense so I wouldn't get KO'd by them; She was a pretty decent split-pusher but not good enough to become a full-time gimmick.

As far as tanks going DPS, EU LCS builds DPS Malphite all the time because they're dumb, and AP/Bruiser Cho'Gath is something that works. AP and AD Maokai both work right now but he's really over-tuned and there's no way he's making it another patch.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

AD Thresh was almost a thing when he came out because he was so over-tuned, but he's been nerfed two dozen times since then and you're an idiot if you try it again. AD Lulu was almost a thing too, but her ratios get nerfed every patch.

People build AD Kayle all the time.

But generally the trick is to build someone AP that's usually a tank or better off in a different roll, since long ago Riot put AP scaling on every ability for god knows why and it created some really funky gimmick builds (AP Tryndamere and AP Master Yi were terrors that Riot reworked so they were impossible to exist).

The most interesting AP -> AD build I can remember doing was building AD Ahri in a one-hour game One-For-All against heimer where I just couldn't stand the loving game anymore and built AD to backdoor towers, and a bit of defense so I wouldn't get KO'd by them; She was a pretty decent split-pusher but not good enough to become a full-time gimmick.

As far as tanks going DPS, EU LCS builds DPS Malphite all the time because they're dumb, and AP/Bruiser Cho'Gath is something that works. AP and AD Maokai both work right now but he's really over-tuned and there's no way he's making it another patch.

No, sorry, the best AP build was AP rengar whose double battlecry was something absurd like a 2.5+ ap ratio, I think. Either way it melted people.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Servaetes posted:

When you all first started playing League, what was your best worst opinion? I thought Tear was the most overpowered item. Especially on Amumu. Coming from DotA 1 I thought "Holy poo poo infinite Heartstopper Aura!" I also rushed it on Nasus because holy crap never any mana problems again!

We thought fortify was the best summoner. We usually grouped as 3 and would rotate our fortifies when the other team would try and take our towers.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

No, sorry, the best AP build was AP rengar whose double battlecry was something absurd like a 2.5+ ap ratio, I think. Either way it melted people.

AP gimmick tier list(all champions taken at their prime):

Rengar > Trynd = Yi >>> Tristana > Alistar = Gangplank = MF >> All

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
If you're ever in a losing streak, and you think the world is out to get you, realize that you're not alone. I watch Imaqtpie's stream all the time and he has lost over 200 LP on his smurf over the past 3 days. He wanted to get his challenger LP to 600 from 500 and had a big plan to do it and is now sub 300 lp. Dyrus lost something like 15 games in a row yesterday and Meteos went 5-15 in 20 games.

The only person who never loses is Wildturtle, so don't feel bad if you lose in soloqueue. Everyone poops. I mean loses.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Jerkface posted:

If you're ever in a losing streak, and you think the world is out to get you, realize that you're not alone. I watch Imaqtpie's stream all the time and he has lost over 200 LP on his smurf over the past 3 days. He wanted to get his challenger LP to 600 from 500 and had a big plan to do it and is now sub 300 lp. Dyrus lost something like 15 games in a row yesterday and Meteos went 5-15 in 20 games.

The only person who never loses is Wildturtle, so don't feel bad if you lose in soloqueue. Everyone poops. I mean loses.

This is why I never want to be a streamer. I can't imagine anything more miserable than being obviously on tilt, being on a giant losing streak, knowing that you are on tilt and continuing to play will result in more losses, and being forced to keep grinding out solo queue because it's your job. :smith:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

my pog boyfriend posted:

AP gimmick tier list(all champions taken at their prime):

Rengar > Trynd = Yi >>> Tristana > Alistar = Gangplank = MF >> All
Can you call Gangplank a gimmick build? What even is supposed to be his standard build? His kit is so weird that you can build him any way you can imagine and it will still work.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Flameingblack posted:

Can you call Gangplank a gimmick build? What even is supposed to be his standard build? His kit is so weird that you can build him any way you can imagine and it will still work.

I'd say his standard is crit AD bruiser.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
The best way to build GP if you want to actually win is basically the Nasus build of FH+SV+Defensive Boots into a Triforce. Gives you a ton of tankiness, sustain, and team utility while still fitting in a damage item. The best way to build GP if you are playing on a smurf is to build Shiv into IE and 100-0 people with like 2 Q's and 2 autos.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

The best way to build GP if you want to actually win is basically the Nasus build of FH+SV+Defensive Boots into a Triforce. Gives you a ton of tankiness, sustain, and team utility while still fitting in a damage item. The best way to build GP if you are playing on a smurf is to build Shiv into IE and 100-0 people with like 2 Q's and 2 autos.
There's still Mageplank, Supportplank, and even sometimes ADC Gangplank too though, he is so gimmicky that there is no standard. I remember seeing Hai take him mid and exploit his Q with Tiamat and it would give him bonus gold for the splash on tiamat, so he would work minions down to really low health, Q, and get all the bonuses of his Q over multiple minions.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
mageplank and supportplank are terrible variations/gimmicks of an already terrible character though

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I feel like Gangplank is a character that should be awesome but actually blows. You used to see him all the time and he's just so goddamn hilarious, but I don't think I've seen him outside an ARAM in like a year.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
Bankplank was the best plank, RIP.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
If I end up buying all the champions eventually, GP probably be the second last one I get (Teemo will be last) unless they re-work him to make his kit interesting.

Actually I'd probably buy GP before Zilean. I hate Zilean.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Old Gangplank was fun because he was unstoppable, could farm every lane on ult cool down. But they nerfed him a lot and there's a ton of mobility that didn't used to be in the game. Now he suffers just like every AD melee without any way to stick to someone.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Unfinish3d posted:

If I end up buying all the champions eventually, GP probably be the second last one I get (Teemo will be last) unless they re-work him to make his kit interesting.

Gangplank was one of the first champions I bought, show some respect to the plank

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Libertine posted:

I feel like Gangplank is a character that should be awesome but actually blows. You used to see him all the time and he's just so goddamn hilarious, but I don't think I've seen him outside an ARAM in like a year.

he was unstoppable when his poison stacked to 5 because his jungle clear was twice as fast as anyone elses

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
On the subject of Gangplank, this rework suggestion popped up on Imgur the other day and it's....interesting to say the least.

http://imgur.com/gallery/IDknap8

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Libertine posted:

"I feel like I'm the one getting trolled by Scarra even though I'm playing Gangplank jungle." - Meteos after picking Gangplank because Scarra was on his team and Meteos had seen him play it recently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

On the subject of Gangplank, this rework suggestion popped up on Imgur the other day and it's....interesting to say the least.

I really don't agree that the ult needs focused damage. Its ability to influence teamfights globally is already really strong, especially with the attached slow. More damage would make it more powerful but not really in an interesting way. I've always felt like the slow is the most influential part of that kit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

It's also goddamn unreadable. That person needs to either lay out their text in a nice font (actually they need to do that period) and better structure or cut out a shitload of text. The rise of "infographics" has been terrible for actually effectively communicating information. You're not supposed to load them down with text! That is literally the exact opposite of how they're supposed to be used!

As for Gangplank himself, he mostly just suffers from a lack of any real identity and just having a grab bag of individually really useful skills that have to be kind of weak or he'd be overbearing. I think changing his Q to be unable to crit (which would be massively unpopular, granted) with some usability buffs in exchange would be a good start. Yeah winning the lottery sometimes is fun, but I think overall having that chance prevents him from getting changes elsewhere.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 10, 2014

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't agree that the ult needs focused damage. Its ability to influence teamfights globally is already really strong, especially with the attached slow. More damage would make it more powerful but not really in an interesting way. I've always felt like the slow is the most influential part of that kit.

What?

...what? Why do you want the ult to be random damage? That's the most infuriating thing in the game, and the reason why I don't want to play GP. There are an extremely few amount of abilities where you can legitimately say they sometimes don't perform up to your expectations, and for whatever reason GP's ult is not only one of them, but it's like that by design. On an ultimate! Why should an ultimate be fundamentally tied to RNG?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

my pog boyfriend posted:

What?

...what? Why do you want the ult to be random damage? That's the most infuriating thing in the game, and the reason why I don't want to play GP. There are an extremely few amount of abilities where you can legitimately say they sometimes don't perform up to your expectations, and for whatever reason GP's ult is not only one of them, but it's like that by design. On an ultimate! Why should an ultimate be fundamentally tied to RNG?

Because a focused damage ult with a slow that is also global would be hilariously powerful and be destined for nerftown, and of the three elements most important to the design, I feel the damage is the last of them. The random element allows it the chance to do serious damage, encourages players to run out of it as fast as possible, and still allows it to bankfarm from a distance pretty effectively.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 10, 2014

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

my pog boyfriend posted:

What?

Do you think anything should be determined by RNG?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

BigLeafyTree posted:

Do you think anything should be determined by RNG?

I don't hate RNG, but on an ultimate ability it's extremely frustrating that you could do everything right, blow your 2 minute cooldown ability and have it do virtually nothing except slow somebody.

nrook posted:

Why do you hate Zilean? Why does anyone hate Zilean? Zilean is great. Permaslow dudes all day while putting bombs on their heads.

I like the dude too but he's ridiculously boring to play. Like, Sion is more interesting than Zilean to play.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Unfinish3d posted:

I've heard this a lot from various people, and I still don't get it. Why do you hate Zilean? Why does anyone hate Zilean? Zilean is great. Permaslow dudes all day while putting bombs on their heads. Save lives on a 180 second cooldown ult that's actually 25 seconds. Also pretend to be Annie with your 600 range autos.

I had to stop playing Zilean because my split-second reaction time is garbage, but he's still great and I do miss him.

• Locked thread