Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Do tests for rhel 7 even exist yet?

Yeah, looks like they are already updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

Yeah, looks like they are already updated.

Is there even any training material?

Amazon tells me no...

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I think there's official training available from Red Hat, but the typical books like Jang's aren't out yet.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Moey posted:

Anyone have an idea of when VMware will stop offering the VCP-DCV510 and VCP-DCV550? I know it is probably coming soon as 6.0 should be officially announced at VMworld. I never paid attention to how long the old exams stick around after. Need to sit the VCP sometime soon.
VCP4 exams were still being offered until May 31, 2014 so I'm sure you'll have at least a year or two once 6.0 is released.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ozu posted:

VCP4 exams were still being offered until May 31, 2014 so I'm sure you'll have at least a year or two once 6.0 is released.

Thanks. I have a voucher that expires at the end of the year and have just been dragging my feet on sitting it. Might as well just knock it out sooner than later.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Docjowles posted:

I think there's official training available from Red Hat, but the typical books like Jang's aren't out yet.

There was a post on a Linux forum last week by Jang saying a 7th edition of his book was in the works. No ETA on when it will be available though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So while we're talking about VCP.. I took the Stanly course which was based on.. 5.0? 5.1? A year and change ago basically. Like an idiot I got a job and got busy and never really had time to do the actual test.

Does the classroom training requirement have a validity period? If I wanted to take VCP-DCV a few months from now after finishing my RHCE do you guys know if the Stanly stuff would still be valid or would I need to shell out for new classroom training.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Martytoof posted:

So while we're talking about VCP.. I took the Stanly course which was based on.. 5.0? 5.1? A year and change ago basically. Like an idiot I got a job and got busy and never really had time to do the actual test.

Does the classroom training requirement have a validity period? If I wanted to take VCP-DCV a few months from now after finishing my RHCE do you guys know if the Stanly stuff would still be valid or would I need to shell out for new classroom training.

Class is good for both VCP5.1 and 5.5 - no expiration period. I really need to get my rear end in gear again and study so I can finally knock this cert out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Class is good for both VCP5.1 and 5.5 - no expiration period. I really need to get my rear end in gear again and study so I can finally knock this cert out.

Hmmm, for whatever reason I thought the code expired at the end of the year. Just checked and I didn't see anything.

None the less, I need to take the drat thing.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Docjowles posted:

The official training is what I grabbed to look at.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Are there any books out for the SY0-401 that are as good as the SY0-301 study guide in the OP?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Spazz posted:

Which books do you all suggest for 70-410 & 70-411? I'm aiming to have my 70-410 in the next six months, but it would be nice to knock out both.

You'll want to work through the Installing and configuring guide for 70-410. Complete the steps from cover to cover.

Then, move onto the 70-410 Exam reference, which may or MAY NOT have exact 1:1 (based on personal experience using an exam ref book) information. You'll largely have to investigate whatever is not covered from the install+config guide on technet OR (the easier way) is to go through the Microsoft virtual academy and run the courses.

I do not recommend taking months to complete the MCSA certification, due to the fact that microsoft is getting aggressive with the refreshing of the courses so whatever the next iteration of windows server (this year???) is around the corner. I really felt bad for those peeps going through the MCSA and had to double-back to go over ALL NEW R2 questions.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

incoherent posted:

I do not recommend taking months to complete the MCSA certification, due to the fact that microsoft is getting aggressive with the refreshing of the courses so whatever the next iteration of windows server (this year???) is around the corner. I really felt bad for those peeps going through the MCSA and had to double-back to go over ALL NEW R2 questions.

Yeah... good news is it's not all of my bonus hinging on that. Are there any solid dates (or speculated ones) for the next iteration of windows server?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I have no clue, but SQL MCSE certifications course is an telling sign as they're rolling out 2014 concepts into the 2012 testing.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I've sort of fallen into a really sweet gig as a manager for systems and analytics for a major corporation. Basically it's a new department that recently formed within the company. While they were getting established, I did lots of systems and analytics work that they really needed. As a result, they've offered me the position. Problem is, I have no formal training, certifications, or detailed systems knowledge. I was actually a licensed attorney before landing this role (which pays better than law ever did). To complicate things further we are a multinational and every country uses different systems. Normally I would only learn the systems of the country I'm in. However, I work for the Global Audit and Investigations branch so I have to become passable in all of them.

Where the gently caress do I start? What's are the first certifications/trainings I need to focus on? What are good resources for training myself? I have no aversion to studying my rear end off for this every day. I can be very disciplined about self teaching.

Things I use regularly: Sql and other database tools; SharePoint; dozens of in house logistics, merchandising, and supply chain systems; a disgusting amount of Excel; and new poo poo everyday (just trained on a new case management system this week and mass communication system last week).

Any advice about where to start would be great. I love the company, job, and career path but definitely need training and tools to do it properly.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

To start? ITIL first.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

To start? ITIL first.

This is an A+ username/post combo.

Kidding aside, in your situation, ITIL is probably actually a great idea. Go buy "The Visible Ops Handbook" off Amazon for $20 for a 1,000,000 foot view that you can read in a day. Also The Phoenix Project by the same guy.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
CEH test tomorrow.

I've never done a cert test before. My company is paying for it. I've studied like crazy and it seems a bit like bullshit. I've been making between 82 and 96% on my practice tests.

I shouldn't be nervous but I am. Don't want to fail since my company paid for it for me.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

redstormpopcorn posted:

Are there any books out for the SY0-401 that are as good as the SY0-301 study guide in the OP?

Darrill Gibson is updating the book in the OP for the 401 objectives. Watch: http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/ for updates on release dates etc.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Anyone know any good videos for powershell? There was one posted in the more poo poo pyo thread some time ago but I foolishly didn't save the link.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
I'm suspecting that it may have been this one, but the Practical PowerShell Workshop videos also on that channel are also very useful.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Venusy posted:

I'm suspecting that it may have been this one, but the Practical PowerShell Workshop videos also on that channel are also very useful.

That's it, thanks!

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Do you guys have any tips for landing a helpdesk job?

I'm going to start studying for my CCNA soon and would like to couple my studies with my honest-to-god experience. I'm thinking of straight up volunteering, offering to shadow the helpdesks of nearby companies, maybe on the weekends or after work.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Anyone know any good videos for powershell? There was one posted in the more poo poo pyo thread some time ago but I foolishly didn't save the link.

Sign up for the (completely free) Microsoft Virtual Academy. http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/

They have a great course with the dude who invented Powershell, Jeffrey Snover.

Seriously, the MS Virtual Academy is a drat good resource, it's just a shame that not too many people use it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Radio Talmudist posted:

Do you guys have any tips for landing a helpdesk job?

I'm going to start studying for my CCNA soon and would like to couple my studies with my honest-to-god experience. I'm thinking of straight up volunteering, offering to shadow the helpdesks of nearby companies, maybe on the weekends or after work.

Just apply for them. What experience do you have? If you got nothing you're going to have a rough time with CCNA.

Also, CCNA doesn't do poo poo for helldesk. A+ pretty much covers that.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Zaii posted:

Darrill Gibson is updating the book in the OP for the 401 objectives. Watch: http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/ for updates on release dates etc.

Awesome, thanks.

I'll totally second MVA's superiority. I just wish less of it were video-based, makes it tough to scope out during downtime on my speakerless work machine.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Tennis Ball posted:

CEH test tomorrow.

I've never done a cert test before. My company is paying for it. I've studied like crazy and it seems a bit like bullshit. I've been making between 82 and 96% on my practice tests.

I shouldn't be nervous but I am. Don't want to fail since my company paid for it for me.

Passed with a 71%. There was a lot of stuff on it that wasn't in the book I had. But a pass is a pass.

Start OSCP Sunday.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So in class we are now up to 70-646 and I am so loving glad I have already landed my networking position. After seeing all this poo poo that MCSA 2008 has I have absolutely ZERO interest in taking that on as a career path. Luckily at my job we have so much heavy networking stuff I will be occupied with that literally FOREVER. The limited stuff we do have for Windows Server is criminally simple.

Anyway, will be glad to be done with class in November and put this poo poo behind me and continue with Cisco certs from here on out.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MrBigglesworth posted:

So in class we are now up to 70-646 and I am so loving glad I have already landed my networking position. After seeing all this poo poo that MCSA 2008 has I have absolutely ZERO interest in taking that on as a career path. Luckily at my job we have so much heavy networking stuff I will be occupied with that literally FOREVER. The limited stuff we do have for Windows Server is criminally simple.

Anyway, will be glad to be done with class in November and put this poo poo behind me and continue with Cisco certs from here on out.

I felt the same way. It's good to get the basics in that they teach as part of Windows networking, but it's really crazy nuts how they seriously expect and believe that Server 2008 will be used as a router/switch.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You're going to be in for a surprised with software defined networking.

I'm not saying windows server is anywhere remotely a part of that future, but its coming.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

Tennis Ball posted:

Passed with a 71%. There was a lot of stuff on it that wasn't in the book I had. But a pass is a pass.

Start OSCP Sunday.

drat. I'm taking CEH tomorrow and I've haven't really studied much for it at all. Hope I can wing it. Did pretty good on the practice tests I've taken today from the books.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Haydez posted:

drat. I'm taking CEH tomorrow and I've haven't really studied much for it at all. Hope I can wing it. Did pretty good on the practice tests I've taken today from the books.

I was using the practice tests from "All In One CEH Exam Guide" I bought off of Amazon.

Its practice tests had me making between 80 and 96.

There were lots of things on the test that were not hard, just things factoids the book hadn't covered. There was some stuff on the test that wasn't in the book that I knew already.

There were 3 or 4 problems on the test with psuedo code and you had to find the potential vulnerability. Nothing too crazy, and I have programming experience so it wasn't a big deal.

However, none of the practice exams I took had psuedo code and neither did the book. Thats just one example I can give.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

Tennis Ball posted:

I was using the practice tests from "All In One CEH Exam Guide" I bought off of Amazon.
However, none of the practice exams I took had psuedo code and neither did the book. Thats just one example I can give.

Ahh - did my share of coding too so hoping they won't be too tricky. I have a safari subscription so I'm going to move on to the "all in one" practice exams later tonight. Might end up pulling an all nighter to cram things in.

The process to be exempt from taking the EC Council official training program seemed a bit off. Dealing with them felt like I was getting ripped off in a PayPal scam or something.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

4 days until ICND2. I'm reviewing and breaking stuff in labs. Going to go over multi area ospf, first hop redundancy, frame relay, eigrp, and more STP than I ever want again. Anything I'm missing here?

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Haydez posted:

Dealing with them felt like I was getting ripped off in a PayPal scam or something.

Holy gently caress! Don't get me started. It took me two weeks to finally get signed up to take the thing. I loved filling out a form to request a form that I needed to fill out and send to them so they could send my boss a form.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is there a reputable place to get A+ vouchers cheaper for what comptia sells them for, or are they pretty much the same everywhere?

Asking this again because it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Asking this again because it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Is global knowledge cheaper? Also vets can get vouchers or if anything reimbursement.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

OhDearGodNo posted:

Is global knowledge cheaper? Also vets can get vouchers or if anything reimbursement.

The only vouchers I found on global knowledge for the A+, was an $800 "double take" voucher :v:

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM
Anyone else in the Stanly VM class received anything yet? I haven't heard anything after I went and paid. It's supposed to start in 10 days I figured I'd see something by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Hold on wait what.

Time to look into vouchers for vets.

Actually, I have a question regarding that that might be better for the gibill gently caress bitches make money thread but I'll give it a go on here: I'm already getting gibill money for school at 100%. Is it possible to use gibill for vcp class? And if so, is it possible to draw college AND vcp class at the same time?