Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

The Machinima Man posted:

Just got off the phone with him, a friend of his ripped it. They know it's worth "a poo poo-ton" of money, but when I mentioned the regular size version was up on eBay for $7,500, he lost his mind.

I told him it could sell for $15k to $20k, but his first step should be to get it graded. Then look into high-end auctions once it's graded...

Yeah, if it looks like it would grade nicely, grade it at the fastest speed available and then put it up for a high BIN, IMO. $15-20K is probably wishful thinking, but a good grade should net $7500 easily if he keeps hitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

If it was ten days ago before he got hurt I'd $0.99 auction the poo poo out of that. Now, if it looks good on the subcategories I'd grade it and pay for a fast turnaround time.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

theacox posted:

Yeah, if it looks like it would grade nicely, grade it at the fastest speed available and then put it up for a high BIN, IMO. $15-20K is probably wishful thinking, but a good grade should net $7500 easily if he keeps hitting.

What kind of a risk could there be to holding off until after the ASB and seeing if he can rebound once he comes back? Good thing to roll the dice on? Bad thing?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

The Machinima Man posted:

What kind of a risk could there be to holding off until after the ASB and seeing if he can rebound once he comes back? Good thing to roll the dice on? Bad thing?

Well, the DL stint hurts. The ASB is close. If it looks nice, I would grade and hold and then list as soon as he hits a hot streak.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I just got the hit of my life Friday. Got the cubs in a 2014 Bowman jumbo case random and hit a Kris Bryant black refractor auto redemption.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

theacox posted:

Joined a 100 case 2014 Bowman group break (that's right 100 loving cases, 50 hobby, 50 jumbo) on blowoutcards.com. Had a couple low $ spots and didn't get anything super exciting, but they randomed 8 loose boxes and a jumbo case after the break amongst the participants. I won the jumbo case!!! So excited right now!

I read this and started checking these things out and since Memorial Day weekend I've watched about a billion hours of breaks on livstreams and Youtube. It's like scratchoff lotto for middle-class guys. Hell, I even thought about watching some of this "base ball".

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

So, Beckett fixed their free price lookup bug that's been around for 10 years. What's a good way to get book value for trading now? Especially for low end stuff. I'm not paying their outrageous prices.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

People still use book values?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Go to ebay, search completed listings. I think you have to be signed in to do it.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Many, many people still use BV for trades that are too low in value to regularly show on ebay. Many times, if I know we are both trying to build sets, I will intentionally trade obviously in the other person's favor just to avoid the BV thing.

I've had low end trades derail because the other trader was more interested in arguing the difference between minor stars and semi stars than just building a set. It all seemed like he was stuck in the mid 80's. It's not like I'm really going to get any money for 99.9% of recent base on the open market, but people just can't seem to let a lot of that go.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Boinks posted:

So, Beckett fixed their free price lookup bug that's been around for 10 years. What's a good way to get book value for trading now? Especially for low end stuff. I'm not paying their outrageous prices.

Subscribe to the magazine? Sure, they don't list all the cards individually like the online database does and they're a bit behind for new releases, but it's only about $3 an issue when you subscribe (compared to $10 from a LCS or off the newsstand). Better than nothing, anyway.

I'd be happy to send you an older copy if you like, prices don't change much between issues. I'll contact you at SCF since it looks like you don't have PMs here.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I liked trading by BV because it was solid number. With Ebay you could have the guy trading the card using the auction that sold for $10 and the guy getting the card using the auction that sold for $1.

I guess I'll have to use common sense when trading or do a little extra research on COMC and Ebay. I'll probably pick up a Beckett once a year or so, do they still come with free graded card coupons if you subscribe?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Today I found a mint condition 1985 Topps set for $20 at a thrift store. Decided to see what else I could get from my childhood that used to be too expensive to even think about and I just ordered a 1986 Topps Traded Bonds rookie for $6 shipped. This is so depressing haha.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I pulled a Barry Bonds rookie today out of a box of "The chase for the card" set. Lots of 80's and 90's cards. One of my packs was a pack of cards from Jimmy Dean foods.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There's some special short print of the Bonds rookie that actually still is valuable, isn't there?

I have that Jose Canseco Donruss Rated Rookie that used to be super valuable, I think I paid a buck for it :v:

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Anyone got any tips on unloading large collections of stuff?

My sister an I inherited a collection of cards/memorabilia from an uncle and it is 90% baseball cards, but the occasional other thing in there. The problem is there is just so much to deal with. I have piles and piles of cards in cases with outdated prices on them (From checking eBay) and all sorts of numbered stuff/uniform/bat/autographed cards. I've got dozens of sets in the old school brown books in a giant display case. I've got unopened and open box sets, coins, busts, and random other stuff. This stuff is currently taking up a good chunk of my basement and some space at my parents house. There is not a lot of really old stuff in here. It is mostly late 70s and newer on the sets, individual cards vary but heavy leanings to more recent. I think in his later years he sold off a lot of the older stuff. When we first got this stuff we sold some individual easy to unload expensive pieces (Stuff like a 400th HR Griffey bat signed and the like) but there is still a ridiculous amount left. A lot of it I'm sure it outright trash (Some of the sets look like he cherry picked the best/rookie cards out of) while some of the other stuff looks super rare (Some numbered Phil Rizzuto autograph/uniform/bat card that is numbered 2 of 2) and of course there is a lot of formerly valuable stuff that had all its value destroyed by the steroid era.

I used to collect and I love baseball cards, but man this stuff is overwhelming. Other than selling a few things here and there, and having a friend's father look through it and buy a bunch of stuff, it has just been sitting since it is so much work to try to eBay this kind of thing. My friend's father knows a dealer but outright told me not to go to him because I'd be lucky if he offered 10% of the value.

I've considered taking all the stuff that is in plastic and renting a booth at a show. The thing is most of it already has prices on it and from what I can tell they are all outdated and high. Even just going by the stuff in individual plastic inserts there are probably thousands of these things. The prices are all over the map. I have boxes of stuff labeled 1-2 bucks. Then I have things labeled up to $1600.

I'd appreciate any ideas. We want to get rid of this stuff, even at a discount, just not get totally ripped off but selling 1 at a time, doing the research on pricing, then doing the whole eBay thing is just so time consuming when we both have full time jobs.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

crowbb posted:

I'd appreciate any ideas. We want to get rid of this stuff, even at a discount, just not get totally ripped off but selling 1 at a time, doing the research on pricing, then doing the whole eBay thing is just so time consuming when we both have full time jobs.

Where are you storing all this stuff now?

Were it me, and if it's not taking up valuable space in your home, I'd think of it as a part-time job/task, and set a personal goal per month to sell off. If you think you can sell off $300-500 per month (or whatever amount), then you have new income to count on every month for a while.

If you just want it gone, then you can take it all to a sports card store, and they'll give you a bulk price on it - but you'll leave money on the table. If the collection is too big, you can make an appointment for someone to come to your home. If you don't want to get ripped off, you'll have to do a little research to find a reputable dealer, and even then, I'd probably get to know the guy as a customer first. Definitely see if any goons in here are local to you, and follow up in the Your City Sucks sub-forum thread for your area, too. Failing that, Yelp is a good resource as well.

I live in Northern Virginia, and wanted to get rid of Magic:TG cards I hadn't touched in ten years, and just wanted it gone with no hassle. I traded it to a local comic shop for $150 cash and some board games, and even if I left some money on the table, I was happy, because I'd made closet space, and didn't have to deal with eBay. Then again, my Magic card collection was just one plastic snap case, so I may be small potatoes by comparison.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

crowbb posted:

Anyone got any tips on unloading large collections of stuff?
Take a look through it. Anything newer than 1980, throw in the trash or give to a Children's Hospital for the kids to play flip-card into a bedpan or something. It's all trash and you'll never get value trying to sell it. If you know a dealer that will give you 10% of BV on random 80s and 90s cards, take it and give him a sloppy BJ on the side because ain't nobody touching Danny Tartabull Rated Rookies cards.

Memorabilia, anything that's like coins and frankland mint stuff, you can pitch that too. It's not worth anything and you will never find a buyer for the .9999 TROY SILVER NOLAN RYAN'S 7th NO HITTER or whatever Don West was shilling back then. Signed cards/Jerseys fare a little better, but unnumbered Tom Glavine jersey pieces and 'handed a base set card to him at the ballpark' autos are very hard to sell compared to factory-issued pieces.

Sorry you had it all dumped on you, the savviest way to make money on it is probably as a tax write-off donating the whole lot to charity.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Throwing away silver coins is just plain stupid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nolan-Ryan-...=item258beeda4e

Silver is silver, doesn't matter what the subject is.

Also I agree with throwing away commons from the 80s and 90s but don't do anything stupid like throwing away Ripken rookies.

My advice would be, if you recognize the player's name and its an autograph or jersey card, put that up on ebay for $1 to start and the free market will give you a fair price. You can fit 3 792 count set boxes in a USPS priority mail flat rate box so sell those sets 3 at a time.

I don't know what to do with all of the low end inserts and jersey cards and stuff. I'm actually trying to figure out what to do with my own right now. You used to be able to put them all in one big lot on Ebay and get a decent price but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I used to get $2-3 per jersey card but now I see a bunch going for $1 per card.

This guy seems to be getting a decent price for the quality of lots he's listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-SPORTS...=item2c859ea382

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Thanks for the tips. I'm a big baseball guy, so I do know who's good/popular and who has a date with the trashcan. There is a lot of stuff that had probably value once but now is pretty worthless like some 1 of 1 Manny Ramirez card I can probably use for toilet paper now that my uncle had some crazy pricetag of like $800.00 on. Oddly I can't find anything Ripken. Except Billy. And nobody wants Billy. Not even that certain card that was all the rage when I was a kid. Which I did see several of in here. There's a weird black hole where Cal should be. I wonder if my uncle sold all the Ripkens off or I'm going to come across a giant heap of his cards eventually. There are still many boxes I haven't even looked in.

Right now the stuff is partially in my finished basement in central NJ and the rest at my parents house in NE Jersey, but they are starting to get antsy about it being there and want me to remove it to my house. There is enough that all of it will take up a good chunk of my basement when I get it all together, and my basement is a probably 450 square feet or so. He lived with my parents so that is where it all was initially but until recently I had a car not really suited for moving large amounts of stuff.

What about the old style brown book binders that you put pages in and insert the cards by hand? I've got like 100 of these things filled with mostly worthless cards. I tried to give some away to a friend for supplies but his wife killed that plan and banned him from taking any more of this stuff. Are these generally even used anymore by collectors? If so I'm sure I could find someone else to take them just to get them out of my house (Have fun pulling 800ish cards out of the plastic per book so the pages can be reused. Ha!)

We did do the sell a few things a week thing in the beginning, and it worked out pretty well for a while, but it was so much work that it eventually petered out. It doesn't help that my sister doesn't know any baseball and has little interest in learning. So beyond her taking the pictures for the auctions I can't really have her help me with research or listings.

Ah well. I guess I'm going to have to put in a bunch more work if I am ever to see my basement floor again. I'll take another look through some of this next time I'm at my parents to load up a carful of stuff.

unbeatable
Mar 13, 2006
I'm number one
Decided that it was time to get back into collecting again. Trying to finish a 1994 Topps Gold set the old fashion way, via trading and breaking wax. Been having a lot of fun and I find the smell of cards fresh from packs brings back some good memories haha.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

unbeatable posted:

Decided that it was time to get back into collecting again. Trying to finish a 1994 Topps Gold set the old fashion way, via trading and breaking wax. Been having a lot of fun and I find the smell of cards fresh from packs brings back some good memories haha.

Now and then someone will ask for help filling an old set and I open the box that I have my older cards in. That smell brings me back.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

crowbb posted:

Oddly I can't find anything Ripken. Except Billy. And nobody wants Billy. Not even that certain card that was all the rage when I was a kid. Which I did see several of in here.

As long as you have the ones that weren't re-touched, they're worth about ten bucks on ebay.

In a collection that large and vast, have a look for Desert Shield cards. They look just like the regular '91 Topps series, except they have a foil stamp of the Desert Shield logo. Chipper Jones is worth hundreds, an ungraded Kirby Puckett sold recently for ~$45 and basically any name you recognize is going to be worth between $8 and $10. Bundles of scrubs have good value too, just salt the lot with a couple recognizable people.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I just got a ton (about 5 300 ct boxes) of what appears to be late 90s and early 2000 entry level football cards. Mixed brands. Should I even bother looking through them or should I just donate them.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

joebuddah posted:

I just got a ton (about 5 300 ct boxes) of what appears to be late 90s and early 2000 entry level football cards. Mixed brands. Should I even bother looking through them or should I just donate them.

In 2000, no one knew who Tom Brady was, so his rookie cards will be mixed in with the commons. I found two of them in my own early 2000's common box.

Not sure what else you'd want to keep an eye out for, maybe 1998 Peyton Manning rookies.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So I was huge into baseball cards as a kid.

I was gifted a box of wax packs Topps 91 (ate all that gum) and had many laughs making fun of Chipper Jones' name and Jeff Bagwell's face/hair.

I think the last year I collected was around the time Studio issued plastic chase cards the were designed like credit cards. I used to chase Griffey and Frank Thomas almost exclusively.

I'd like to crack open a box but I don't really know a decent box to open is, I'm willing to go around 100 bucks to scratch the itch and get some cool cards, and have a chance at a decent hit.

Is there a set out that fits this criteria? I'm looking around and it seems Bowman 2014 fits the role, but what do you guys think?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
If you looking to have some fun and get a few hit cards for $100, I would do a hobby box of Allen and Ginter. While its a mix of baseball and other things, the cards are nice.The last box break i watched pulled a Henry Rollins autograph
There are three hits per hobby box. If that's not your cup of tea, try Onyx platinum elite. Those come 7 cards to a box with two autographs guaranteed! Those usually run between 20-25 depending on where you buy.

unbeatable
Mar 13, 2006
I'm number one

maniacripper posted:

So I was huge into baseball cards as a kid.

I was gifted a box of wax packs Topps 91 (ate all that gum) and had many laughs making fun of Chipper Jones' name and Jeff Bagwell's face/hair.

I think the last year I collected was around the time Studio issued plastic chase cards the were designed like credit cards. I used to chase Griffey and Frank Thomas almost exclusively.

I'd like to crack open a box but I don't really know a decent box to open is, I'm willing to go around 100 bucks to scratch the itch and get some cool cards, and have a chance at a decent hit.

Is there a set out that fits this criteria? I'm looking around and it seems Bowman 2014 fits the role, but what do you guys think?

I would get a few different retail blaster boxes.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ugh retail is awful. Unless you can get it discounted. I don't know how many times I turned $20 into $1 worth of cards.

I'd recommend getting a Topps Jumbo Hobby box. You get an autograph and 2 relics and a bunch of interesting insert cards / cards of retired players. You also get a full set 90% of the time.

edit--> I didn't realize this year's jumbo boxes where $115. You can get last years for $70 or $55 for series 1 or 2 though.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
If you're just looking for some dumb fun, then I'll 2nd a recommendation for Allen & Ginter.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Every time someone asks me what box they should buy after being out of the hobby for a long time, I cringe. You probably want to go with a Topps or bowman product because they are licensed. Just don't be disappointed if you don't hit something awesome.

In that case, basic Topps series 1 or 2 really hasn't changed much in forever. If you liked that before, you will probably be ok now.

Bowman products are generally for prospects. That may or may not be your thing.

A&G, Gypsy Queen, and Heritage can all be fun depending on what you really like.

I got back into the hobby in 2012 after a 17 year absence, and it basically took me a year to really get my bearings.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

theacox posted:

Bowman products are generally for prospects. That may or may not be your thing.

I like picking up a jumbo box of Bowman every couple of years, then following the prospects I get autographs of in the box.

Last year was looking pretty bleak for Dee Gordon and J.D. Martinez - this year seems much better! Who knew that eating food and not playing for the Astros could do such positive things for a career?

As a bonus, you can usually get last years box much cheaper, because this game needn't cost any more than is necessary to play.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So I went ahead and got a hobby box of Bowman that got here today and yeah...

The Abreu is a refractor numbered to 500, the Holmberg is special because my sister and mother know his family, so that pull was pretty cool.
When I first saw the Appel I thought he was a huge League of Legends fan or something then I looked closer at his face and knew immediately it was a bible verse. COL 3:23
The Ryder Jones and Profar I have no idea what they're called, Bowman has so many parralels and inserts it's going to take me a while to figure this poo poo out.

I guess the Appel is the best of the bunch though?

I also have a hobby box of Allen and Gitner on the way, what's happening to me?

yeah the auto's are both /99
VVVV

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 25, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Between the kind of seasons they're having and the fact that Appel's isn't numbered, I would guess Abreu's costs more.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Nice hits! Are the autos numbered? The black ones should be /99, if so the Appel is worth $100. The Abreu sells for $20.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I pulled this out of a $5 spot on a box break of bowman platinum.

In case you were wondering what col 3:23 is.

"Colossians 3:23New International Version (NIV)

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters"

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 9, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

joebuddah posted:

I pulled this out of a $5 spot on a box break of bowman platinum.

In case you were wondering what col 3:23 is.

"Colossians 3:23New International Version (NIV)

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters"

Um, where's the verse at?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It's on the Appel card from a few posts up.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

OctoberBlues posted:

It's on the Appel card from a few posts up.

Ah yeah. I might want to get that Appel sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I picked up a pack of Allen & Ginter on a whim yesterday. Didn't get any hits, but it's fun to see what non-baseball stuff you get. I got a jet airplane, Miss Universe, Dr. James Andrews, and a mini of barbed wire.

• Locked thread