Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

DemeaninDemon posted:

She uh doesn't look very healthy there.

I've got my money on pill addiction. It started to become real obvious in her Fox News appearances in mid 2012 and culminated in her election night appearance where she looked completely ragged and then disappeared for a while.

Honestly she looks even worse now than she did then. She's clearly not well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What a trainwreck.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

:siren: Local politichat :siren:

A recent issue in my local corner of the county has been an effort to consolidate the firefighting services of two or more townships, and the back-and-forth battle over whether to actually go ahead and do that or not. Right now each township in the area (each twp. being somewhere between 30-40 square miles) has its own firefighting services, which work inside the townships and don't cross township lines.

A local township supervisor tried to get her township and one of the neighboring ones to combine their services together, to facilitate faster response times and (somewhat) reduce overall operating costs. Our township board scuttled the plan, stating that they don't trust the other township to not eventually break any agreement to share resources and leave with some of our township's equipment paid for with our money (this apparently did happen once in the 1980s). When the plan was wrecked by the board, the supervisor resigned in frustration, and it's her seat that I'm now running for in a special election.

I think there's a local model that could be used to come up with a solution that would both placate the fears of the township board and successfully combine services in two or more local municipalities, but I'm not entirely sure how it'd work out except for some of the broadest strokes. Right now, hospitals in three counties (including ours) contract ambulance services out to a nonprofit. The nonprofit is not linked to any one municipality, all the equipment used is owned by the nonprofit, and their service record has been a good one. I don't entirely understand their funding mechanisms and I have not been able to find an actual agreement between the nonprofit and any municipality regarding operations, so I don't know what the details are there just yet.

Still, would it be both feasible and a Good Idea to have both townships contract out to a third-party nonprofit for firefighting services, as a means of combining services without having that "oh god what if the other guys bolt" fear there, or is contracting poo poo out a bad idea and I'm a fool for considering it?

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 10, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Jagchosis posted:

This was mainly because we were closer "allies" with Pakistan during the GWOT. However, because the Bin Laden raid and drone strikes etc have hosed U.S.-Pakistan relations for a generation, the U.S. has apparently been taking steps to correct that under the Obama administration:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/8/8/hagel-india-modi.html

This would have been about 20 years ago.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ofaloaf posted:

:siren: Local politichat :siren:

Still, would it be both feasible and a Good Idea to have both townships contract out to a third-party nonprofit for firefighting services, as a means of combining services without having that "oh god what if the other guys bolt" fear there, or is contracting poo poo out a bad idea and I'm a fool for considering it?

Why not start a nonprofit with the chairs of the other town boards and then vote to sub-contract a 'coordination management' role or somesuch, merging the 3 departments into a nonprofit, lowering costs, and taking the difference as a cut?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

VideoTapir posted:

This would have been about 20 years ago.

The West didn't like that India developed nuclear weapons, thus arms/tech trade restrictions. So India started buying arms from Russia; Russia a)doesn't care as much about proliferation and b)likes for India to have a big, powerful military because they both dislike the Chinese.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

That video seems to quit about halfway through.

Has anyone told you how wonderful you are recently?

Because you are. :allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This was asked in a previous thread - the reason we see these flags, which are technically the Confederate Naval Ensign rather than the "Stars and Bars" is that this:

looked so much like the flag of the United States at a distance (and under the smoke of Civil War gunfire) that it resulted in confusion as to the allegiance of a unit that was flying it. The CSA eventually adopted the naval ensign as their "battle" flag

and contemporary Confederate supporters have run with it as the CSA flag all along.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

This was asked in a previous thread - the reason we see these flags, which are technically the Confederate Naval Ensign rather than the "Stars and Bars" is that this:

looked so much like the flag of the United States at a distance (and under the smoke of Civil War gunfire) that it resulted in confusion as to the allegiance of a unit that was flying it. The CSA eventually adopted the naval ensign as their "battle" flag

and contemporary Confederate supporters have run with it as the CSA flag all along.

Do you happen to know why they went with seven stars instead of eleven?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

gradenko_2000 posted:

One of my neighbors flies this in front of his house and I walk my dogs by it, hoping to be able to ask him why he hates America.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

xrunner posted:

At first seven states seceded; four jumped on the bandwagon a little bit later.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

xrunner posted:

The first flag had 7 stars in it, but that was only from Mar 4, 1861 (South Carolina, Mississipi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas)
The next version of the flag had 9 stars by May 21, 1861 (Virginia, Arkansas)
The next version had 11 stars by Jul 2, 1861 (Tennessee, North Carolina)
By Nov 28, 1861, they had a version with 13 stars (Kentucky, Missouri)

All of the Battle Flags/Naval Ensigns had 13 stars

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

xrunner posted:

Seven states seceded at first. Stars were added over time until there were 13 (confederacy claimed Kentucky and Missouri as their states). The one in that picture is the earliest version.

E: beat

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

At first seven states seceded; four jumped on the bandwagon a little bit later.

Got it. So they didn't update for new states like the US flag does. Which somehow seems appropriate, given what the south became.

Edit: or I could have read the next two posts

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why not start a nonprofit with the chairs of the other town boards and then vote to sub-contract a 'coordination management' role or somesuch, merging the 3 departments into a nonprofit, lowering costs, and taking the difference as a cut?

I'd still mark that down as "third-party" in that it isn't technically controlled by any of the interested municipalities, but my grasp of the politician's lexicon and what actually means what is still rather rusty.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ofaloaf posted:

It's generally a better idea to create a multi-government agency, possibly under the nominal control of the state itself, for such things rather than a normal non-profit. However you're in Michigan so obviously you're not going to get anything useful at that level under the current government.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

Do the cats usually have nine tails?

Still catching up from a few pages back, but holy poo poo

:master:

Kinetic Tools
May 6, 2009

Joementum posted:

Subtle. Well-played.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Joementum posted:

I don't get it, please help.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I don't get it, please help.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's generally a better idea to create a multi-government agency, possibly under the nominal control of the state itself, for such things rather than a normal non-profit. However you're in Michigan so obviously you're not going to get anything useful at that level under the current government.

I'm sure they could outsource it to a private for-profit company with the state's blessing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Oh. Ohhhhhh…..

:downs:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

VideoTapir posted:

I'm sure they could outsource it to a private for-profit company with the state's blessing.
If I thought I could lead a bunch of Republican board members into establishing a worker's council of fire services, I would.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DemeaninDemon posted:

Oh! I saw this on FB this morning.

Reminded me of the font from:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Aerox posted:

If you haven't been following along with Sarah Palin's terrible website, she's already basically given up and isn't even trying anymore, and/or she's unable to keep some sort of addiction under control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ogJjmgpLM

The videos coming out of this are incredible.

pillsmoker.flv

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Aerox posted:

If you haven't been following along with Sarah Palin's terrible website, she's already basically given up and isn't even trying anymore, and/or she's unable to keep some sort of addiction under control.

How can anyone watch this and think "here is a person worth listening to for any reason whatsoever"?

Her slurred speech and scatterbrained blustering makes Dubya sound like Obama.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Sir Tonk posted:

Reminded me of the font from:

The font on the 9/11 poster is the same font that appears on the covers of Garfield comic strip collections. I'm a bit embarrassed that I recognized it right away.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 10, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

PuTTY riot posted:

Some freshmen from GA hung a noose and an old Georgia flag on the James Meredith statue last year.

I wish I could pretend it was just a protest against bad design, but I know better and don't really want to make much light of lovely individuals.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Meaty Ore posted:

The font on the 9/11 poster is the same font that appears on the covers of Garfield comic strip collections. I'm a bit embarrassed that I recognized it right away.

Also this:

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Aerox posted:

Google linked me this as a related video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

How do you write an algorithm that identifies and tags word salad?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

St. Louis police, using M-16 assault rifles, shot and killed an unarmed kid accused of shoplifting today: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/police-in-missouri-reportedly-shot-and-killed-an-unarmed-tee (sorry for the buzzfeed link, but literally every other source, including AP, is using incendiary language regarding the community response). When the community protested, they rolled in dogs, uparmored vehicles, and several hundred more police officers. There's speculation that the police responded to the wrong store and the kid who was killed wasn't even the actual suspect.

To top it all off, he was supposed to start college on Monday. :smith:

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 10, 2014

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

St. Louis police, using M-16 assault rifles, shot and killed an unarmed kid accused of shoplifting today: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/police-in-missouri-reportedly-shot-and-killed-an-unarmed-tee (sorry for the buzzfeed link, but literally every other source, including AP, is using incendiary language regarding the community response). When the community protested, they rolled in dogs, uparmored vehicles, and several hundred more police officers. There's speculation that the police responded to the wrong store and the kid who was killed wasn't even the actual suspect.

How long until this kid is portrayed as a dangerous thug that had it coming?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

hangedman1984 posted:

How long until this kid is portrayed as a dangerous thug that had it coming?

You ask like that isn't already the case.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Dumb as a loving bag of hammers.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

In Googling for non-Buzzfeed sources, it seems most media outlets are running with the crowd shouting "Kill the police" as their headline, rather than the slaying of an unarmed teen that prompted it. gently caress everything.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Elizabeth Warren should ruin that whole video as a campaign ad.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Kilty Monroe posted:

In Googling for non-Buzzfeed sources, it seems most media outlets are running with the crowd shouting "Kill the police" as their headline, rather than the slaying of an unarmed teen that prompted it. gently caress everything.

Holy poo poo this makes me angry. Wasn't there another dude murdered in New York this week because he was selling cigarettes or something?

E: last month, chokeholded to death, even better. Jesus Christ, cops.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I hate to blame an addict, but that's what she gets for palling around with Rick Perry.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

whitey delenda est posted:

Holy poo poo this makes me angry. Wasn't there another dude murdered down in New York this week because he was selling cigarettes or something?

He was put into a choke hold and repeatedly said that he couldn't breathe.

We know this because it was caught on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

whitey delenda est posted:

Holy poo poo this makes me angry. Wasn't there another dude murdered in New York this week because he was selling cigarettes or something?

E: last month, chokeholded to death, even better. Jesus Christ, cops.

You want to get mad about that? Here you go.

A Chokehold Didn’t Kill Eric Garner, Your Disrespect for the NYPD Did

• Locked thread