Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The Enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are really good, and that pack appears to have the plain ol' regular versions. You'll still be able to mod it, the game is still good, but I don't think I could go back after playing Enhanced. There's tons of little things that I like about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

(and Temple of Elemental Evil, which isn't good)

Look how wrong this scrub is, everybody :smuggo:

Yeah it's all one big file and they're GOG installers, so all tweak/fix packs will work.

This is maybe the best hours of entertainment per penny value around, so y'all have no excuse not to pick this up now. Also give ToEE a fair shot with the Circle of Eight fix. Very satisfying tactical combat and very pretty artwork.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Gamersgate has all your good old Dungeons & Dragons computer game titles in one (and Temple of Elemental Evil, which isn't good) for the low low price of $3.99. Does anyone know how the pack is handled? It says it's a 10 gig download, so I guess it's all the games in one file? Do they run alright? Can you still apply the BG1 and 2 fix to them?

Yeah this is literally the best deal ever. I got it when it was like 5.25 bucks.

I got it even if I had all but two of them on physical and gog (Icewind Dale).
... I afterwards drunkenly got IWD on gog. Eh.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Gamersgate has all your good old Dungeons & Dragons computer game titles in one (and Temple of Elemental Evil, which isn't good) for the low low price of $3.99. Does anyone know how the pack is handled? It says it's a 10 gig download, so I guess it's all the games in one file? Do they run alright? Can you still apply the BG1 and 2 fix to them?

Why on earth would you say ToEE isn't good? It's one of the better party based D&D games out there. Best ones are the Icewind Dales, though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Drifter posted:

Why on earth would you say ToEE isn't good? It's one of the better party based D&D games out there. Best ones are the Icewind Dales, though.

Out-of-the-box ToEE was hellaciously buggy and broken. Moreso even than Vampire: Bloodlines.

A full decade of fan-patches and an unofficial expansion later, and it's great. More of a tactical SRPG kinda deal than a story-driven RPG, but a lot of fun if you know your basic D&D rules.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Okay, yeah, wow, mea culpa. I didn't know people fixed ToEE. When it first came out, it was rather quite bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dominic White posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, Keep On The Borderlands (a whole new ToEE campaign) was released while I was on vacation in America, too. That might be worth checking out.

Goddamn. They've been working on that for years and years, I'm going to install this right now.

ToEE is great if you like strategic combat, not so much for roleplaying, but it has a really good combat engine with all the fan fixes and stuff installed so it's worth a shot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finally got around to playing Long Live the Queen. Played with a teddy bear a bit, went to class, saw my mom's grave and paid respects, more class, someone tried to poison me with a snake, then I went to my cousin's castle for a birthday party but on the way there I got shot through with an arrow and I died trying to push the arrow through my guts to get it out. A++ pretty princess simulator.

The skills and class screen should really be combined though so I can see what bonuses and penalties are applying at the moment. Fffff.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

The skills and class screen should really be combined though so I can see what bonuses and penalties are applying at the moment. Fffff.

I think it does tell you if you hover over a skill now. At the least I know it's on Hanako's list to add.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The Enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are really good, and that pack appears to have the plain ol' regular versions. You'll still be able to mod it, the game is still good, but I don't think I could go back after playing Enhanced. There's tons of little things that I like about it.

Really? Better than just modding the games into the Baldurs Gate Trilogy and applying a widescreen fix?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Deakul posted:

Really? Better than just modding the games into the Baldurs Gate Trilogy and applying a widescreen fix?

Ultimately they are the same game. The new content isn't even the draw, it's mainly the massive amount of bugfixes and quality of life fixes. For instance, you can use the mouse-wheel to zoom in and out, which is actually pretty drat cool. Each character has a different color circle underneath them when they are highlighted. Little poo poo like that.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SynthOrange posted:

then I went to my cousin's castle for a birthday party but on the way there I got shot through with an arrow and I died trying to push the arrow through my guts to get it out. A++ pretty princess simulator.

haha I died in the exact same way on my first try

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So is it just me or does Castlestorm suddenly get 'gently caress you' hard on the Clearing the Mines stage? Even if you can get a bunch of your guys heading there with no enemies coming at them, the other ballista can just shoot a grenade into them and kill them all, and it doesn't seem to have any cool-down time. Add that to the golem it summons every so often that can kill any unit in one hit, and it's kinda bullshit. Maybe it's my fault for focusing on the ballista in upgrades, but the troops just suck most of the time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Ultimately they are the same game. The new content isn't even the draw, it's mainly the massive amount of bugfixes and quality of life fixes. For instance, you can use the mouse-wheel to zoom in and out, which is actually pretty drat cool. Each character has a different color circle underneath them when they are highlighted. Little poo poo like that.

Yeah, I suppose little touches like that could be neat.
I've been eyeballing the Enhanced Editions for a while but I'm waiting until they get below $5 I think.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I have this and you have to download the whole 10 GB iirc.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Deakul posted:

Yeah, I suppose little touches like that could be neat.
I've been eyeballing the Enhanced Editions for a while but I'm waiting until they get below $5 I think.

$5 should be your "buy now" price, for sure. I snagged them both for $5 each (BG1 legit through Steam sale, BG2 due to a pricing error) and I don't think they're going to get any cheaper or ever show up in a bundle.

BG2's still buggy though so you have time to hold off.

GreenNight posted:

Can you still start BG1 with a character, take him through Tales of the Sword Coast, import him into BG2 and then Throne of Baal? Cause that poo poo owned, even taking with you the various pantaloons.
If they're both the new EE versions? Yeah of course.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 11, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I think it does tell you if you hover over a skill now. At the least I know it's on Hanako's list to add.

Not as far as I can see. In any case it's surprisingly fun if ridiculously anime. Sort of a cross between Princess Maker's class taking stuff and Crusader King 2's intrigue simulations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can you still start BG1 with a character, take him through Tales of the Sword Coast, import him into BG2 and then Throne of Baal? Cause that poo poo owned, even taking with you the various pantaloons.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Acquire Currency! posted:

Does anyone else think Unturned is actually fun like I do?

I love it, and it's a really good game.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Are there any other games like The Guild? I loved that game, bugs and all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you're referring to the multigenerational plotting stuff, Crusader Kings 2 actually compares pretty drat well. Check out the main thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718 and the tutorial thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664 to see if it's for you.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Deakul posted:

Pre BGEE2 not really. Post BGEE2, yeah.

BGEE was a bit of a wash because the characters had banter and personal quests that offered fairly powerful items to the player. Considering the gameplay state of BG1 ( low level adventuring with silent companions ), they stood out, and felt a little out of place.

The UI/QoL stuff did extend past what you could get through mods, but just barely, allowing you the option to zoom in and out, different color circles for each class, etc. I wouldn't really say that made it worth the high asking price however.

With BGEE2 though, those same characters quests/character growth actually fits alongside the BG2 NPCs. And despite what a few nostalgic goons will say, they are written about on par with the old NPCs ( which you'll also realize actually weren't written very well back in the day, we just had nothing to compare them to at the time! ). This adds 4 new quests/hubs, a few new items to throw into the big ol "Bhaalspawn backpack of +4-5 items", and the UI/QoL stuff that doesn't get covered in mods.

Outside of that, there are significant gameplay changes in both versions for the better thanks to the addition of these new classes. BG1 lacked a strong good aligned Mage, which is now filled by Neera. And while Kagain is one of the best characters in the game, most new players never met/recruited him since he's a bit hidden, so Dorn fills the role of a strong evil aligned tank for new players. Rasaad is pointless because he's a low level Monk in v2DnD.

In BG2 Neera gives you the chance to take a good aligned Mage that's better written then Aerie/Nalia, which I think makes the game worth any asking price, because gently caress Aerie/Nalia. Rasaad finally becomes useful, and lets you use a powerful Monk character when they become powerful, without the horrible grind through BG1. And Hexxat gives evil aligned parties a Thief option ( although I'd say she's the weakest of the new characters in terms of writing, and most people will find her a bit setting breaking. )

If you already own both games and don't mind modding them, the additions probably won't be worth it for you. But if you haven't bought BG1/2 digitally yet, or have never played them, might as well buy them on sale.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

I love it, and it's a really good game.

I'm pretty much murder wagon'ing my way around the map. It really supports the 'keep moving to survive' style that games don't like. This dude is doing good solo work.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
So how bad does Fallout 3 run on Win 7/8 machines? I only have the original disc version and no DLC and was thinking on getting the game of the year edition on steam but it has a orange warning at the top -
Notice: Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Dishonored, it was pretty good. I haven't done the Knife of Dunwall or Brigmore Witches yet, those'll be next. That's the 25th game I've beaten since the summer sale, and I've got 3 left to play from that sale. Although one of them is Walking Dead S2 so I'll probably wait until September or whenever the season finale comes out.

For a game that wants you to be stealthy it sure doesn't reward you for it. I feel like the detection system in Dishonored is pretty crap, and I lost my no-kill run despite not killing anyone, which means some physics glitch must have sent a sleeping body into water or off a ledge or something. It's not without some jank. I also wish I could've enjoyed the visuals more but if you do a low chaos run you pretty much need to have dark vision on all the time.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 11, 2014

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

If you're referring to the multigenerational plotting stuff, Crusader Kings 2 actually compares pretty drat well. Check out the main thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718 and the tutorial thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664 to see if it's for you.

I actually have the base game but I never got into it. How worth it are the expansions? The collection is $27 at GMG and Old Gods is $15. Seems a bit expensive for everything.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Danith posted:

So how bad does Fallout 3 run on Win 7/8 machines? I only have the original disc version and no DLC and was thinking on getting the game of the year edition on steam but it has a orange warning at the top -
Notice: Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7

It should just say: Fallout 3 is not optimized. The engine is barely held together by wet mud and hope. That said I think your major performance issues can be fixed via mods or something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gonna c&p from the op of the ck2 thread here:

quote:

There's a lot of DLC for the game. Much of the DLC has added or tweaked already existing systems, but anything that affects the entire game is automatically patched in for free (with one exception). The only thing you have to have the DLC for is to play certain characters. There are five major DLCs.

-The Sword of Islam lets you play as Muslim characters. Muslims have a much heavier focus on religion and piety and must manage a special decadence statistic that can destabilize their realm if left unchecked.

-The Legacy of Rome focuses on the Byzantine Empire, giving new traits and options for members of the Eastern Roman Empire. This DLC also adds retinues, special military units that function slightly different from regular military. You must buy this DLC to get access to retinues.

-The Republic lets you play as merchant republics like Venice. Republics are focused on making money through trade posts built across the coasts of Europe and scheming against other merchant families.

-Sunset Invasion is an alt-history DLC where the Aztecs invade Europe. Its somewhat tongue-in-cheek and serves as a Mongol Invasion for the west (i.e. hundreds of thousands of angry Aztecs land in Spain and wreck everyone's day).

-The Old Gods is the latest DLC and reworks the many pagan faiths of medieval Europe. It also lets you move the start date back to 867 and play as the Vikings.

If you already have the base game, just fire it up and get a hold of the mechanics and see if it's for you. Ireland's a good starting point and there's a tutorial line in the tutorial thread that's about Ireland starts.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

If you already have the base game, just fire it up and get a hold of the mechanics and see if it's for you. Ireland's a good starting point and there's a tutorial line in the tutorial thread that's about Ireland starts.

Buying Legacy of Rome will make the game a lot easier because it unlocks retinues. If you try the game and like it, DEFINITELY at least pick up that one. The rest of the gameplay DLCs are optional unless you want to play as those specific groups.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Quest For Glory II posted:

Finished Dishonored, it was pretty good. I haven't done the Knife of Dunwall or Brigmore Witches yet, those'll be next. That's the 25th game I've beaten since the summer sale, and I've got 3 left to play from that sale. Although one of them is Walking Dead S2 so I'll probably wait until September or whenever the season finale comes out.

For a game that wants you to be stealthy it sure doesn't reward you for it. I feel like the detection system in Dishonored is pretty crap, and I lost my no-kill run despite not killing anyone, which means some physics glitch must have sent a sleeping body into water or off a ledge or something. It's not without some jank. I also wish I could've enjoyed the visuals more but if you do a low chaos run you pretty much need to have dark vision on all the time.

Hey, high-five. I just beat that the other day, although I went high-chaos. Can you answer me a question, just so I know whether it's worth redoing the second half of the game more stealthily to see it or not? How was the low-chaos final mission or thereabouts? I know on High it gets there with "Location Name (High Chaos)" and begins with Samuel basically going "I hope you die, Corvo, and I hope all you assholes on this island die too. And now..." (fires a shot into the air as he paddles off to die) "...the guards know you're here too. Get bent." And then it was a murder factory.

If it's decidedly different, I'll go through these last two or three missions again, but if not, I'll just jump into the DLC.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Buying Legacy of Rome will make the game a lot easier because it unlocks retinues. If you try the game and like it, DEFINITELY at least pick up that one. The rest of the gameplay DLCs are optional unless you want to play as those specific groups.

Retinues are a mid-late game thing though and only if you get enough of a resource base though, unless you just jump right in and take command of an empire right away but that's not really a good way to introduce someone to the game. He should be able to get a feel of the game even without it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Hey, high-five. I just beat that the other day, although I went high-chaos. Can you answer me a question, just so I know whether it's worth redoing the second half of the game more stealthily to see it or not? How was the low-chaos final mission or thereabouts? I know on High it gets there with "Location Name (High Chaos)" and begins with Samuel basically going "I hope you die, Corvo, and I hope all you assholes on this island die too. And now..." (fires a shot into the air as he paddles off to die) "...the guards know you're here too. Get bent." And then it was a murder factory.

If it's decidedly different, I'll go through these last two or three missions again, but if not, I'll just jump into the DLC.
The last mission on low chaos is different but it is a lot more anti-climatic. Even though the end cinematic was 'the good ending' the actual final encounter was a letdown. When I read the description of the high chaos version of the level I thought "I wish I was playing that version".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
To be fair, the FINAL bit really is a letdown in high chaos, but the madness leading to it is indeed fun to make it through. Even if I did a LOT more sneaking than usual due to the numbers of men around.

Alright, I may just stop somewhere after the party mission then (because that one's too fun to replay) and jump into DLC. Thanks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dishonored endings: I dont know. I like them both though. One they're so scared shitless that you're coming after them they commit suicide before you get there and the other you get to kill them yourself. Hmmm, choices choices

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Gonna c&p from the op of the ck2 thread here:

There was another expansion regarding India wasn't there?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah, that lets you play as Buddhist, Jain and Hindu characters with India specific flavour like gurus, yogis, elephant cavalry and Kali death cults. Fun all round.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'd say wait for a steam sale (though not nesc. a big headliner one) to pick up large chunks of Crusader King DLC. When it does go on sale, its usually a very generous discount, except the latest set of DLC centered around a major gameplay pack.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm almost dry of "AAA" games.. I've got these left:

Arkham Origins
Dead Space
Alice: Madness Returns
Hitman: Absolution
Prince of Persia 08
Red Faction: Armageddon
The Bureau: XCOM

I'm not sure which to play next. I have Borderlands 2 but I'm waiting for the people in my circles to have free time, and I have ACIV: Black Flag but holey moley it's a billion gigabytes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SynthOrange posted:

Dishonored endings: I dont know. I like them both though. One they're so scared shitless that you're coming after them they commit suicide before you get there and the other you get to kill them yourself. Hmmm, choices choices
They don't kill themselves, Havelock poisoned Pendleton and Martin. It is anti-climatic, but I kind of like the fact that they realize their plan to gently caress over Corvo was an awful idea because Corvo is far beyond them in power and Havelock just resigns himself to his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm almost dry of "AAA" games.. I've got these left:

Arkham Origins
Dead Space
Alice: Madness Returns
Hitman: Absolution
Prince of Persia 08
Red Faction: Armageddon
The Bureau: XCOM

I'm not sure which to play next. I have Borderlands 2 but I'm waiting for the people in my circles to have free time, and I have ACIV: Black Flag but holey moley it's a billion gigabytes.

Dead Space is sub-par as a horror game, but it's actually kinda fun as an action game. Also it gets genuinely tense when you have to manage your inventory in the middle of combat. I think the combat in Dead Space 2 is better, but Dead Space 1 is a pretty loving good game and gets my recommendation.

• Locked thread