Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Aurora posted:

I hope you just mean ignore them until you're at cap.

Yeah. That.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Killed another big monster. I found this one! :sax:

I'm glad I asked in the thread what was up with the level 50 monsters hanging around. Now I can get a jumpstart on all the endgame crap!

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Pierson posted:

General tips for leveling gathering classes;
  • Netflix
  • Netflix
Can confirm. Add "use a controller and lean back for 8 hours" to that. Both Botany and Mining leveled that way, Fishing was a similar mess, but I used leves for that.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I resubbed with my 44 BLM, and so much has changed (for the better)! I'll have to find a group for Garuda at some point to get the story moving again.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Can anyone suggest some good spots to grind mining from 40-50? I've run out of leves, and wanna keep going, but if there are some spots that are better than others (as in, not needing stealth or all the points being close) I'd love the info.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?

Verranicus posted:

Can anyone suggest some good spots to grind mining from 40-50? I've run out of leves, and wanna keep going, but if there are some spots that are better than others (as in, not needing stealth or all the points being close) I'd love the info.

Rosewood logs in the area around the Bramble patch in East Shroud from 46 onward.

Edit: Oh mining? Derp.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

more like dICK posted:

I resubbed with my 44 BLM, and so much has changed (for the better)! I'll have to find a group for Garuda at some point to get the story moving again.

Garuda normal is pretty easy to Duty Finder these days.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Verranicus posted:

Northern Thanalan perhaps? There will be a few not-so-friendly critters in the way between nodes, though. Or maybe South of Camp Bronzelake, in Upper La Noscea.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Verranicus posted:

Early 40s you can get some mileage out of grabbing raw gems from East Thanalan. Go north from Drybone towards the gold bazaar, and you'll see the four points in a cluster along the way. Not too much running and no aggro. You can also grab Marble, from bronze lake, which is a 45.

North Thanalan is good when you start to get higher, although there's one rear end in a top hat Basilisk who likes to wander by and try to eat you when you reach a point, so a little stealth can be required. When you're almost 50, you can try going to East Shroud and going north of the outpost. There are 4 points there really close together which just have wind shards/crystals and Grade 3 Carbonized Matter, which is a l50 item. Your success rate won't be so hot sub 50 but they're all close and there's no aggro.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
We beat T8 last night! :woop: And now it's time for the real heartache.

People who have cleared T9, what placement strat do you prefer for the second set of meteors? I remember ilifin running around the edge of the arena in his stream. Is the idea that you stack up, run around the edge, and whoever gets the meteor stops where they are?

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

pksage posted:

People who have cleared T9, what placement strat do you prefer for the second set of meteors? I remember ilifin running around the edge of the arena in his stream. Is the idea that you stack up, run around the edge, and whoever gets the meteor stops where they are?
It's actually simpler than that. You stack up, run around the edge, and keep running until all the meteors have dropped.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Smart Car posted:

It's actually simpler than that. You stack up, run around the edge, and keep running until all the meteors have dropped.

The trick is to have everyone synchronized on run initiation. Due to ping differences, it might not be reliable to use the meteor incoming icon to decide when to start running. We have a macro used by our raid leader as soon as the first set of golem meteors land. After a bit of practice, everyone should be able to get a feel on where in the pack they should be during the run, and adjust accordingly by running a bit more towards the center or the outer edge.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Smornstein posted:

Is there a set time when servers like Excalibur open up for character creation? A couple friends got me to resub and they're on Gilgamesh but it's been locked almost all day.

See: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

It's almost always open at 8am PST.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

I have made it to Excalibur. I'm not sure if I want to jump into finish playing catch up or leveling something else for a change of pace.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

pksage posted:

We USED to do the merri-go-round for the second meteors but we have since stopped. Things would go wrong; either people wouldn't react fast enough, or we'd get lag spikes, or people wouldn't run properly, I don't know. It's hard to tell exactly what goes wrong, we just knew that sometimes something would and we didn't like the random failure rate.

What we do now after the last golem is to cluster in a loose circle around the center. If you get a mark, you run straight out and drop it on the outside of the circle, then go back in. As long as you're watching your path and the people to your immediate left and right it's really easy to drop the 6 and carry on. Even if you get marked twice while you're running a meteor out it's easy to just juke left or right into a free spot. So far we haven't screwed it up once and we picked it up on the very first time we tried.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah the scatter method seems to work best for us and gives a bit of flexibility with the last golem if we're a bit slow getting him down for whatever reason. Using that vs running around in a circle basically eliminated our wipes on the golem phase. We solidly get to heaven's fall and have gotten past it a couple of times where before those drat meteors we're wiping us about half the time.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
There is no correct way to drop meteors, they're all simple (with a good group). The most foolproof I've done it though is either scatter, assigned sections, or Encore's weird half run/half assigned drops.

Really it's all easy, I would only advise against group running because it's harder to tell who is loving you up.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Killed another big monster. I found this one! :sax:

I'm glad I asked in the thread what was up with the level 50 monsters hanging around. Now I can get a jumpstart on all the endgame crap!

You should definitely /shout and ask to join a party for hunts, especially if you found it!Being in a party helps you get full credit since it's shared. For that really big monster (Safat is an S rank, the highest), it's possible to get x10 the reward you got.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Smornstein posted:

Is there a set time when servers like Excalibur open up for character creation? A couple friends got me to resub and they're on Gilgamesh but it's been locked almost all day.

It's open right now!

Check this list every time it updates: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

I've been playing for about 3 weeks I think and it took me about a week to finally get one on there and I got it the morning after a maintenance period just fine. You will probably only ever be able to do it on a weekday morning so good luck with that if your schedule doesn't work that way.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Last week, Savage Might IV was consistently going for 300k on my server. Kinda painful but not out of my price range. Over the weekend, somebody bought up every last one on the market, including the pie-in-the-sky listings for 500-800k. So today of course the newly listed materia are all up for 800k to 1 mil and rich impatient dumbasses are still buying them, ensuring they won't be coming back down any time soon. gently caress my life.

So, assuming I don't say screw it and dump some cheap materia into my Novus to finish it off, what is the default accuracy Sphairai Novus gets with no acc materia infused into it?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Finally leveled up THM to get Swiftcast for my white mage. Are there any other "must-have" cross-class spells for a healer or is that about it?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Eye for an Eye and Virus from Arcanist but that's about it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thundarr posted:

So, assuming I don't say screw it and dump some cheap materia into my Novus to finish it off, what is the default accuracy Sphairai Novus gets with no acc materia infused into it?

A Novus' secondaries are exactly what you meld into it, IIRC.

E: aside from healer ones, I think they get the base +8 Accuracy that all i100+ healer weapons have.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Thundarr posted:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Got my 3rd Atma this morning, I think I'm averaging 5-6 hours per right now, so it's gonna be a fun race to see if I can get all of them before I get the Sol needed to get my Rosenbogen (at 500 now, capped but that resets tomorrow). Done with all the Shroud ones, on to Thanalan!

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Ouhei posted:

Got my 3rd Atma this morning, I think I'm averaging 5-6 hours per right now, so it's gonna be a fun race to see if I can get all of them before I get the Sol needed to get my Rosenbogen (at 500 now, capped but that resets tomorrow). Done with all the Shroud ones, on to Thanalan!

you'll get your Rosenbogen first

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Last week, Savage Might IV was consistently going for 300k on my server. Kinda painful but not out of my price range. Over the weekend, somebody bought up every last one on the market, including the pie-in-the-sky listings for 500-800k. So today of course the newly listed materia are all up for 800k to 1 mil and rich impatient dumbasses are still buying them, ensuring they won't be coming back down any time soon. gently caress my life.

General rule on Novus for most jobs is as follows. If you're playing something which isn't crit/det, substitute crit for whatever you do care about. (Pretty sure everyone wants det though.)

Super expensive (minimum of 19 T4 materia, more likely 25 to 30-ish considering explode rate) but min-max optimal:
44 crit, 31 det

Min-max sub-optimal, a little more accuracy buffer for gear choices in other slots, massively cheaper (no T4 materia):
33 crit, 23 det, 19 acc

If you don't mind using T4 materia so long as it's guaranteed not to explode, you can go for somewhere in between the two. I forget exactly how many you can put in at 100%. But it is kinda nice to basically have an extra accessory slot's worth of accuracy for gear flexibility.

... Well, provided you're not playing a job that shits accuracy all over you whether you want it or not, that is. Although there's no guarantee that'll be the case in future gear tiers.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Thanks for the T9 pointers, really appreciate it.

Can you stun the green golem's Demolish? Or is Demolish being uninterruptible the reason you focus green down first?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Starting T7 tonight and have seen a 4-stack (Renauds) method in addition to the kite / kill method. Is there a consensus which is easier?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Demolish only kills your group if you fed it red meteors. You kill green golem first in single tank strat because it will kill whoever it switches to since it's the only one you actually need a tank for. In two tanks you usually kill it second.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Starting T7 tonight and have seen a 4-stack (Renauds) method in addition to the kite / kill method. Is there a consensus which is easier?

They both the exact same difficulty for everyone who isn't the kiter.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vil posted:

General rule on Novus for most jobs is as follows. If you're playing something which isn't crit/det, substitute crit for whatever you do care about. (Pretty sure everyone wants det though.)

Super expensive (minimum of 19 T4 materia, more likely 25 to 30-ish considering explode rate) but min-max optimal:
44 crit, 31 det

Min-max sub-optimal, a little more accuracy buffer for gear choices in other slots, massively cheaper (no T4 materia):
33 crit, 23 det, 19 acc

If you don't mind using T4 materia so long as it's guaranteed not to explode, you can go for somewhere in between the two. I forget exactly how many you can put in at 100%. But it is kinda nice to basically have an extra accessory slot's worth of accuracy for gear flexibility.

... Well, provided you're not playing a job that shits accuracy all over you whether you want it or not, that is. Although there's no guarantee that'll be the case in future gear tiers.

So hold the phone. By going full crit/det I'd lose 40 points of acc the instant my Animus becomes Novus, ensuring I am forever unable to so much as lay a finger on anything in coils even with a full suit of unweathered soldiery gear unless (maybe) I keep giant stacks of HQ three star food on me at all times?

At least I'd be able to hit non-endgame monsters like a truck, I guess. :smith:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Speaking as my group's designated Renaud kiter, once you get the positioning (and timing of Miasma) right and your group has the hang of phase transitions the 4-stack method is so much easier compared to kite/kill it's not even comparable. Also means that the kiter can properly DPS once the stack is getting frozen correctly.

Be aware though, if you get a bad phase transition you do risk the Renauds all waking up at once and murdering everyone but that's not hard to figure out.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Thundarr posted:

So hold the phone. By going full crit/det I'd lose 40 points of acc the instant my Animus becomes Novus, ensuring I am forever unable to so much as lay a finger on anything in coils even with a full suit of unweathered soldiery gear unless (maybe) I keep giant stacks of HQ three star food on me at all times?

Plenty of the ST gear has acc on it (just the gloves :v:), you can use them as temp pieces to hit things in Coil.

Also, Stuffed Cabbage gives a whopping +21 accuracy so there's no way you can't have enough, one way or another.

dangersandwich fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You don't want accuracy on monk weapons once you start getting 110 items. I'm sitting at 530ish and my static's monk is at 560 I believe right now.

What does someone thing about a DRG novus with det/crit/skill speed? I'm still working on my animus and honestly don't know if I'll finish it, but I'm curious what people's thoughts are.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Thundarr posted:

Acc is extremely prevalent on gear. All BiS sets for monk include weapons without Acc on them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I do feel your woes at the immediate moment. When I got my Liberator I was stung by the loss of accuracy as well that I had from my wave harpoon. I had to switch over to some crafted i90 to adjust, but once I really started stacking on the 100-110 gear, accuracy hasn't been anything close to an issue and it's the same for monk.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

What does someone thing about a DRG novus with det/crit/skill speed? I'm still working on my animus and honestly don't know if I'll finish it, but I'm curious what people's thoughts are.

I'd go for the same thing as monk: max det and crit. You only really need enough skill speed to be able to fit in two Full Thrust combos plus your DoTs (which you get easily by default), anything more than that is just for the convenience of not having to Heavy Thrust as often.

There's an argument for more skill speed, but for me nothing beats Jump crits for 80% of the damage of your Life Surged FT.

Haste Mistake
Oct 14, 2008

Here I go!
Kicking you in the hands!
Get your hands down here!

pksage posted:

Thanks for the T9 pointers, really appreciate it.

Can you stun the green golem's Demolish? Or is Demolish being uninterruptible the reason you focus green down first?

Demolish can be interrupted by a knockback like Fluid Aura, assuming the white mage doesn't miss. I think it only works now if it gets pushed into a meteor, not totally sure.

Haste Mistake fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 11, 2014

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Since we're talking about Novus, how should I be doing mine as a BLM? Just crit and det, or do I want to mix in 7 points of Piety to get an extra cast of Fire in my AF rotation? Should spell speed be a consideration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

dangersandwich posted:

I'd go for the same thing as monk: max det and crit. You only really need enough skill speed to be able to fit in two Full Thrust combos plus your DoTs (which you get easily by default), anything more than that is just for the convenience of not having to Heavy Thrust as often.

There's an argument for more skill speed, but for me nothing beats Jump crits for 80% of the damage of your Life Surged FT.

I'm mean if you don't go with tier 4 materia. If you can afford the tier 4, det/crit of course is absolute best. I'm just thinking about a 3 stat solution. I think SS would be the go to third stat over accuracy.

• Locked thread