Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Counting RBI is fine cause its always been counted and its just a thing to count, you don't have to be an autist when it comes to stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Royals acquired Josh Willingham for a pitcher named Jason Adam

Good deal

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

The odds of a female throwing a knuckler and all sorts of nice offspeed poo poo is pretty high, actually. All you need to pitch in the majors is control.

lol no

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Harlock posted:

Royals acquired Josh Willingham for a pitcher named Jason Adam

Good deal

Huh. I know poo poo about Adam but this is the first time I haven't asked why right off the bat with a Royals trade this year. Wonder how they'll use him?

e: Oh duh, DH immediately at least. I wonder if this means Hosmer's hand is worse than I've been led to believe?

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 12, 2014

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He can sorta stand and run a bit in the OF as well.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scob posted:

lol no

Ok thanks for your poo poo replies.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rand alPaul posted:

Ok thanks for your poo poo replies.

Listen son, when the Best Fans in Baseball state that something is not correct you have to just accept it, because they just know. It's The Cardinal Way.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Scob posted:

lol no

Yeah, Greg Maddux made the HoF with his blazing 85 mph fastball. Nothing but speed, baby.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Greg Maddux threw in the low 90s with crazy movement. Not that it is impossible for a girl to hypothetically play major league baseball, but he should not the the go-to example of guy with so-so stuff who was good that he is.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That should be Mark Buehrle

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
That's a fine deal for the Royals good job Dayton you made a good trade

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, Greg Maddux made the HoF with his blazing 85 mph fastball. Nothing but speed, baby.

This poo poo is going to keep evolving and in 2050 people will be talking about Greg Maddux's 75 mph fastball

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

This poo poo is going to keep evolving and in 2050 people will be talking about Greg Maddux's 75 mph fastball

Jamie Moyer pitched underhanded.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Congratulations to the 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks for putting Andrew McCutchen on the DL :downsbravo:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

It obviously depends on whether you're talking about his early or late career numbers. I was being a bit facetious, but 85 was about the best he could do in his later years - and still dominated.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

If Greg Maddux wasn't Greg Maddux, he would not have still been pitching in 2007 and 2008.

Also, he was mediocre or sucked in 2007 and 2008.

e: there's nothing wrong with just saying "Hey, I'm wrong about _____." I do it all the time. You don't need to die on this hill.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Abner Assington posted:

Congratulations to the 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks for putting Andrew McCutchen on the DL :downsbravo:

... wait, how do we know that was a result of the HBP?

From what I've read, even from the Pirates, the type of injury that he has (an avulsion fracture) isn't something that's caused by being hit in the back with a baseball. Is there a source that can confirm that it's caused by the HBP?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Avulsion fractures can most definitely happen because of external force, so I don't know who said that.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Abner Assington posted:

Thank you, Bud Selig, for condoning such fuckery :thumbsup:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Manny Machado's OTHER knee just blew it out, it looks like, as he crumpled to the ground slipping out of the box holding his knee. I hope its not another ACL/whateverCL he had before. Maybe just a sprain or something...

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Rand alPaul posted:

Thank you, Bud Selig, for condoning such fuckery :thumbsup:

How so? Just curious.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

I know it's hard being a Met fan, but have some perspective.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Abner Assington posted:

Avulsion fractures can most definitely happen because of external force, so I don't know who said that.

Right, but they can also most definitely happen because of a strong muscle contraction, the kinds athletes are, well, known for. Something like trying to hit a 9-run homer, perhaps. Seeing as how the fracture didn't seem to occur (or at least it didn't affect his ability to play) until the moment he took a big swing a game after he was hit in the spine with the ball. The 11th rib is also pretty low. Did the ball even hit him there?

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that an injury cause by a pitch doesn't often wait a whole day to manifest, and even if it did, what are the odds that it would wait a whole day, move to a different part of the body, and occur right at the moment that the person was doing something else which could cause the same injury? and all at once?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Deteriorata posted:

It obviously depends on whether you're talking about his early or late career numbers. I was being a bit facetious, but 85 was about the best he could do in his later years - and still dominated.

Greg Maddux was not anything near dominating by the time his fastball was gone.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jamie Moyer pitched underhanded.

Bob Tewksbury rolled the ball from the mound.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Here's Greg Maddux in high school having a present plus fastball

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Bob Gibson simply stared at the ball, which would spontaneously combust. Then he'd blow the ashes toward the batter, who would sheepishly ask the ump for a strike-out and walk back to the dugout.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Groucho Marxist posted:

Here's Greg Maddux in high school having a present plus fastball

It's really funny seeing that Greg Maddux of all people lacked control on all his pitches

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Greg Maddux' fastball exists in proportion to Charles Barkley's height.

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down

Jerkface posted:

Manny Machado's OTHER knee just blew it out, it looks like, as he crumpled to the ground slipping out of the box holding his knee. I hope its not another ACL/whateverCL he had before. Maybe just a sprain or something...

I'm going to hope for the best, but pre-emptive gently caress you to stupid Yankees black magic.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Harlock posted:

Comps are the worst, you're all the worst.

8 year old me loves this post.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
This is finally getting some national attention and it's another reason to like Chris Sale: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140811&content_id=89055552&c_id=cws&tcid=fb_article_89055552

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Top Hats Monthly posted:

How so? Just curious.

Delgado and Gibson never got suspended. Nor Tony LaRussa for admitting to it. :shrug:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
You're all idiots for missing the obvious example of a player who dominated without a fastball: World Series Champion Barry Zito.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
Justin Verlander left tonight's game after one inning with shoulder soreness, was only throwing 88-90mph :rip:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

a rowdy mullet posted:

Justin Verlander left tonight's game after one inning with shoulder soreness, was only throwing 88-90mph :rip:

:smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

a rowdy mullet posted:

That's a fuckin shame.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

a rowdy mullet posted:

Was this really a surprise to anyone, given how he's pitched the whole season?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Deteriorata posted:

Dominated to the tune of an about 4 ERA, yes.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

a rowdy mullet posted:

Whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I wonder how long it'll be before someone blames Ms. Verlander.

• Locked thread