Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Most people who buy an i7 would rather have 8 and the higher clock speed, and those who need many more cores can achieve that with extremely expensive Xeons.

(Although those are the ridiculous 8-way socket models, it was more fun to pick those out).

To be fair, a 10 core Xeon isn't that far off if you're already spending $1k.

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/78582/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-v2-Family#@Server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Factory Factory posted:

Generally, no. Intel especially will lock off unused parts by cutting links with a laser.

FIBbin' bout fuses here

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Oh. Cutting links with an ION BLASTER!! :black101:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

How rare is it to get a DOA Intel CPU? Figures that the one lottery I've ever won... :downs:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

LiquidRain posted:

How rare is it to get a DOA Intel CPU? Figures that the one lottery I've ever won... :downs:

I've never actually heard of it before but I figure it must happen... sorry dude

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

LiquidRain posted:

Like .000001% probably.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

LiquidRain posted:

Don Lapre posted:

Like .000001% probably.

With those chances, LiquidRain might want to check that compatibility between his H81 board and that 4690k again. It could need a BIOS update.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 1, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Ohh yea, no way the 4690k will work without atleast a bios update.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

2 steps ahead of you all. I upgraded the BIOS before putting the CPU in, confirmed that it's compatible with the i5-4690k right on the ASUS site, and when I put my old CPU back in I confirmed the BIOS revision. (2001) Also tried clearing the CMOS with the jumpers and the battery.

And yet I still have a nagging feeling it's my motherboard. It just can't be the CPU. :confused: I bought it from a brick and mortar though, they'll probably put it on a test bed before letting me exchange it, and I'll find out for sure then. Thanks for the tech support, but really, I was just curious if anyone else has ever had this. Everyone I've asked has just responded "there's no way." :)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 1, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Its rare. Intel will want it back lol

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

My gut feeling was right after all - the CPU worked just fine on the store's test bench. I had to upgrade the motherboard BIOS using ASUS' own program that uses Intel AMT. If you just normally upgrade your BIOS (via in-UEFI flash or what not) it will upgrade the BIOS but won't grant compatibility. To condemn myself, ASUS site says so itself in a note under the BIOS download (separate from the program) saying:

quote:

*Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using this tool.

Suggest was not the right word to use, ASUS. It's required.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Looks like you're just as unlucky as you thought, hope you didn't buy a bunch of lottery tickets

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Anybody pre ordering?

http://www.livescience.com/47240-ibm-computer-chip-simulates-brain.html

Probably run games at +60 fps at 4k now. 46-400 billion calculations per... watt

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

1gnoirents posted:

Anybody pre ordering?

http://www.livescience.com/47240-ibm-computer-chip-simulates-brain.html

Probably run games at +60 fps at 4k now. 46-400 billion calculations per... watt

Architecture is vastly different, it wouldn't even run Crysis.
:goonsay:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The DARPA program which spawned it has much more interesting information on the page.

quote:

The final deliverable metric is the fabrication of a multi-chip neural system of 108 neurons (100 million) and install this in a robot that performs at cat level. Estimated to begin between late 2013 and late 2015. Estimated completion date, late 2014 to late 2017.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
So they're looking to build a mechanical rear end in a top hat?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Skynet will never take over humanity at this rate.

Meanwhile here's old fashioned stuff, some E5 2600 v3 specs/prices:
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/2014080502_Xeon_E5-2600_v3_CPUs_are_available_for_pre-order.html

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

PerrineClostermann posted:

Architecture is vastly different, it wouldn't even run Crysis.
:goonsay:

Yeah but I'd just program it to figure it out

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Rime posted:

The DARPA program which spawned it has much more interesting information on the page.

dammit this link is down

quote:

And with the creation of a race of self-replicating robotic super-cats, the human race has fulfilled it ultimate purpose and can now be allowed to fade into obscurity.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 8, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.businessinsider.com/a-horrible-hoax-on-intel-2014-8

Intel got pranked. Or "targeted by an activist", I guess. The guy set up a fake press release to say that Intel is ceasing future investment in Israel due to human rights abuses.

I expect they're probably pretty bothered by it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

canyoneer posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-horrible-hoax-on-intel-2014-8

Intel got pranked. Or "targeted by an activist", I guess. The guy set up a fake press release to say that Intel is ceasing future investment in Israel due to human rights abuses.

I expect they're probably pretty bothered by it.

Ya reckon? That's potentially massively damaging, even with the kind of money they can throw down back channels to try to make poo poo VERY clear.

Bit of a sensitive issue, ah...

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds like a Yes Men gig. They did something similar against BP around the Deep Water Horizon catastrophe, except with an actual press conference and everything.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The Yes Men are absolutely amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEuzVMwsK7o

Pimpmust posted:

Sounds like a Yes Men gig. They did something similar against BP around the Deep Water Horizon catastrophe, except with an actual press conference and everything.

They fooled the BBC by pretending to be from Dow Chemical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWlvBro9eI

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Looks like an NDA just lifted for Broadwell previews:

The Tech Report
AnandTech
Ars Technica

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 11, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hah, I've read a lot about the "nm process" naming scheme being marketing bullshit, but I didn't realize it was that bullshit. Good articles.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Wait what? nm isn't a naming scheme. Its the physical size of things. A 2x reduction in TDP vs haswell-y with more performance is a pretty big deal. Plus 60% lower idle and a physically smaller package.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Don Lapre posted:

Wait what? nm isn't a naming scheme. Its the physical size of things. A 2x reduction in TDP vs haswell-y with more performance is a pretty big deal. Plus 60% lower idle and a physically smaller package.

Tech Report posted:

When questioned during a press briefing we attended, Natarajan was quick to admit that the familiar naming convention we use to denote manufacturing processes is mostly just branding. The size of various on-chip elements diverged from the process name years ago, perhaps around the 90-nm node.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ahh ok.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
If you RTFA you'll notice that what Intel calls a "20nm Process" is, in actuality, using 80nm components. 14nm? 54nm.

On the flip side, the SRAM is 0.0588 square micrometers at 14nm, so perhaps the "process" naming scheme is just taking an average of all components?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/devices/the-status-of-moores-law-its-complicated

Chenming Hu, the coinventor of the FinFET: “Nobody knows anymore what 16 nm means or what 14 nm means.”

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Rime posted:

If you RTFA you'll notice that what Intel calls a "20nm Process" is, in actuality, using 80nm components. 14nm? 54nm.

Process names have never directly reflected component sizes. Phonepostin' so I'm not going to go into great detail, but it has traditionally been related to the minimum line width the lithography process can print, as opposed to larger structures (like transistors). Things are definitely muddier now, in part because it's become standard to print at different resolutions in different layers, but before 2x nm processes I think you could still at least count on some minimum line width at the base of the layer stack matching the nominal process node.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Or you could just read the article I posted in the post directly above yours.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Did... did Charlie hit his head?

http://semiaccurate.com/2014/08/11/intel-talks-14nm-process/

I don't see anything in that article about Intel going tits up any day now. :ohdear:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I wonder when we find out what comes after Cannonlake.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

I wonder when we find out what comes after Cannonlake.

The funny thing is I've been wondering that for years. Wasn't Skylake/Skymont (now Cannonlake) announced like back in 2009?

I specifically remember being in college thinking "drat, when Skylake comes out, my shiny new C2D is going to be a piece of junk. I can't wait!"

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 12, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

KillHour posted:

The funny thing is I've been wondering that for years. Wasn't Skylake/Skymont (now Cannonlake) announced like back in 2009?

I specifically remember being in college thinking "drat, when Skylake comes out, my shiny new C2D is going to be a piece of junk. I can't wait!"

They were on the roadmap back before Nahalem launched, I can remember it as far back as '07 even, but they existed only as nm numbers and a codename. I doubt Intel had much more planned beyond that at the time.

With the delays Broadwell continues to experience, I expect we'll still be wondering come 2018. :v:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

KillHour posted:

Did... did Charlie hit his head?

http://semiaccurate.com/2014/08/11/intel-talks-14nm-process/

I don't see anything in that article about Intel going tits up any day now. :ohdear:

Charlie is a moron generally

See his rant on win 7 end of mainstream support where he confused it with end of life

If he didn't have deep connections into various companies he'd be totally useless, his analysis that he publishes freely is not great

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:Intel's incompetent QA strikes again:siren:

A critical defect has been discovered in the TSX implementation on Haswell and Broadwell-Y processors that will require it to be disabled in a firmware update. The issue will be resolved in the next Broadwell stepping, but unfortunately there is no way to fix TSX on existing products. This loving sucks as TSX was one of the reasons I waited for a Devil's Canyon CPU. No word yet on what resolution will be for owners of affected products.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
You could always get your chips from all the other vendors providing transactional memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Alereon posted:

:siren:Intel's incompetent QA strikes again:siren:

A critical defect has been discovered in the TSX implementation on Haswell and Broadwell-Y processors that will require it to be disabled in a firmware update. The issue will be resolved in the next Broadwell stepping, but unfortunately there is no way to fix TSX on existing products. This loving sucks as TSX was one of the reasons I waited for a Devil's Canyon CPU. No word yet on what resolution will be for owners of affected products.

I just bought a 4790k, does this mean they will do a recall or am I just screwed out of this TSX instruction set?