Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea, it's all splitting hairs. I'd much rather go for a max pull than a squat. A 300 something pound barbell on my back is like a big "haha gently caress you." It's a constant reminder that yea you gotta squat down and then go right back up with this bitch. A deadlift has that initial pull and the, "lol it's not moving" anxiety. The bench press is fun because the risk of atomizing your sternum is ever present.

One day I'm going to try the widowmaker. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I ate like 30 wings last night. Today I could feel the protein coursing through my veins while I benched. BEEFCAAAAKE!

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

I ate like 30 wings last night. Today I could feel the protein coursing through my veins while I benched. BEEFCAAAAKE!

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I tripped over a 425# barbell tonight, and accidentally deadlifted it for 17 reps.

Rack your poo poo, assholes!

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 1, 2014

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

17 reps all at once? At 425? :stare:

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Whip Slagcheek posted:

17 reps all at once? At 425? :stare:

This is way more impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBwOQ8fz6s4

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Yeah I didn't even stop to adjust my grip or catch my breath until the 11th or 12th rep. VTEC was kickin in like crazy.

One of the gyms I go to switched their open hours so I didn't get to flip tractor tires around or do another weak-strongman type stuff. Instead, I went for a 4 mile ruck with a 38# pack at a leisurely pace. The goal was just to get used to being under a pack again and not to worry about speed. Still finished in an hour and feel pretty good over all. Next week I'm going to do 2x1 mile intervals to start getting my rucking speed back up to par.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
normal warmup/stretch routine for 20 mins

worked on double unders for a bit

15 minute amrap of
16x kb snatches @ 35#
400m run

got 5 rounds total
5 minute rest

then 40x tire flips @ 300#
3 min rest
30x kb swings @ 70#
3min rest
20 hang power cleans @ 75#
3 min rest

6x rds of:
25yd sled sprint @ 135#
25yd farmer carry @ 106#
25 yd jog
1 min rest between attempts

3 min rest

4rds of:
5x strict pullups
10x box dips
15x pushups
20x situps
3x shoulder mobility drills w/ 10# dbs
30 sec rest between rounds.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Did SS and adjusted my warm-ups with this website, it was press day and I loving stalled on my last two reps on my 95 lbs working set. I'll see in Friday if I have to reset my press, it loving sucks.

Also did no-gi BJJ today, im going to be sore as gently caress tomorrow.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

Did SS and adjusted my warm-ups with this website, it was press day and I loving stalled on my last two reps on my 95 lbs working set. I'll see in Friday if I have to reset my press, it loving sucks.

Also did no-gi BJJ today, im going to be sore as gently caress tomorrow.

Bench or overhead? Can you describe your form in a few sentences? Was helping a mate get into lifting a few months ago and had the same thing happen, maintaining a proper arch on the bench and keeping glutes and legs stable during OHP fixed him pretty quick.

BJJ is awesome, the occasional feeling of not being able to move your neck comfortably for a day or two makes you feel like a robot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How do you guys feel about the more "fad" workouts? Looking at you, kettlebells. Never really understood the point of them when you have dumbells. Plus it seems people are always doing the same weight for long periods of time.

Anyways, since I've been kind of doing my own thing I've been looking at more, and I hate to use this word, "functional," workouts. But mostly doing compound lift poo poo. My schedule is too inconsistent right now to get on a proper program.

What I'm getting at is does anyone do the dumbell/kettlebell uh...clean and press?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBdLqutTTmM

I guess this but faster and more smooth with less weight.

I see this guy is doing them two handed but I was looking at the single arm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YedyLmkDRE

Anyone do these or any kind of variation? What set/rep should I be looking at? 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 5, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Click Beelay posted:

Bench or overhead? Can you describe your form in a few sentences? Was helping a mate get into lifting a few months ago and had the same thing happen, maintaining a proper arch on the bench and keeping glutes and legs stable during OHP fixed him pretty quick.

BJJ is awesome, the occasional feeling of not being able to move your neck comfortably for a day or two makes you feel like a robot.

Overhead, I go with a bit wide grip, stand up strait, shallow hip-trust, push bar up, shudder shoulders and do everything in reverse.

I caught myself not moving the bars in a straight line and not shuddering my shoulders. My shoulders just refused to move that bar two more times.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

Overhead, I go with a bit wide grip, stand up strait, shallow hip-trust, push bar up, shudder shoulders and do everything in reverse.

I caught myself not moving the bars in a straight line and not shuddering my shoulders. My shoulders just refused to move that bar two more times.

I found the press to be the hardest workout to gain in with SS. No shame in using 1.25 lb plates to micro load with that exercise. Felt pretty beast when I was throwing up 45s on each side :coal:

You can argue form all day and I think rippetoe even advocates different types of forms. But this is the one I follow and I felt it helped. I'd say 8/10 people do Military press wrong in the gym. And for some reason it seems no one ever does them regardless. And just a little side tidbit and I forgot where I read it or watched it but I guess how people measure dick sizes talking about how much they bench now back in the day it was "hey bro what do you press?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAXPJ3PfdyY

Notice the exaggerated head movement forward when the bar passes (close to your face as possible) and sort of squeeze at the top and how far you lower it. Things you never see anyone do. Valsalva maneuver is really important on this one. My traps got decently big doing SS and I think it was from this.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 5, 2014

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

Could be similar to the fucky shoulders I got a while back from being overconfident with the previous week's working weight, that Christoff and elite helped with (dudes seem to know their poo poo so listen to them before anything I say).

If so, an extra couple minutes on shoulder/back stretches before and after, and a couple extra sets of light lats and delts accessory work cleared it up.

e;

Christoff posted:

..1.25 lb plates to micro load with that exercise...

Very much this, especially when starting out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I tweaked my shoulder 4 years ago doing bench (lovely form on my part, flared elbows) and it was a sharp pain for months. Regardless of the exercise if there's any pressing motion and even if I do the individual exercise warmup I'll always grab a 10lb dumbell or so and just bring it to the chest and out laterally on a horizontal line for high reps.

Also I forgot to mention and in case you didn't already know you want to try the same weight twice with SS before resetting 8-10%. I think I reset Military press the most out of all the workouts in SS.

But yeah seriously get some 1.25 lb plates. Especially for press and bench. People might look at you funny but gently caress it. They're extremely overpriced, for some reason, just shop around. I got mine off a 3rd party on amazon for $18 shipped I think.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 5, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

OHP tends to progress pretty slowly. Definitely agree that you will end up resetting it a lot as you progress with SS. Christoff's description of the form is pretty much how I do it. If you really don't want to spend money on microplates I'm pretty sure there are some DIY ways out there of making your own. You could also try bat weights, I think I read that in Wendler's book but I don't know how much they cost.

Also about the press having once been the penis measuring contest. It used to be a competition lift in powerlifting but it was hard to judge and guys were getting ridiculous with the amount of leaning back they were doing to generate more power. But yeah its a tough lift, I hate it the most I think. A lot of that has to with my long arms so I tend to wear out more quickly doing them. The flip side of it is also like Christoff said, they will add some serious muscle mass, especially if you are doing any assistance work (big fan of dips myself).

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
OHP is good for getting that no-neck look.

I screwed up my left shoulder 2 summers ago between OHP, bench and always sleeping on my left side. I had to take the whole summer off from lifting 'heavy'. It sucked pretty bad because I was sure I tore my labrum(which is difficult to recover from) and it hurt to do anything other than like leg press. Warming up/prehab(ylls always mention diesel crew) are pretty important once you start moving heavier weights.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

OHP is good for getting that no-neck look.

I like heavy rear end farmer carries for that. Behind the neck press--push or strict--works well for that.

I'm two weeks back into squatting. Just building up to my old weights with a lot of volume.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I remember reading something that behind the neck anything (pull downs, pull ups, press) is really bad for your shoulders.

I did do a routine for a bit that involved, and the name of the exercise (bodybuilder it was named after) escapes me, where you do a short OHP then graze it back over your head as close as possible and then go down then do it behind the neck and go back and forth

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Anything behind the neck is a greater risk. Just cut the weights down and keep the reps low.

vains
May 26, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

I like heavy rear end farmer carries for that. Behind the neck press--push or strict--works well for that.

Shrugs are good plus you feel strong because its not hard to do 3+ plates. Any clean movement because doing oly lifts makes you look cool.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Shrugs are good plus you feel strong because its not hard to do 3+ plates. Any clean movement because doing oly lifts makes you look cool.

The awesome thing about cleans is how much of an effect they have on your athleticism. I try to play pickup basketball a couple times a week and there is a definite difference between when I'm regularly doing cleans and when I'm not.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Brought the pain storm yet again today

squated 355 for 17 reps

wish my bench was like this hahahaha

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Finished my first 5/3/1 cycle today. Pretty happy with it. The last week was tougher than it seemed it would be. Next cycle I'm going to hit the assistance work a little harder now that I'm back in the swing of things. Probably won't even test my 1RM on any of the lifts. Just going to increase the estimate an appropriate amount for each lift. I figure as long as I can keep completing all the sets I'm making progress. Definitely feeling stronger and starting to lean out even with not watching my diet that closely.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I wouldn't bother testing 1rm often, unless you're training for a competition where that's an actual event. If you're just trying to get strong, rep prs are a great way to measure progress and avoid injury. They aren't always accurate for a true 1rm, due to the fact that pouring everything you've got into one lift and doing a set for reps requires different approaches, but they are pretty telling when it comes to strength and conditioning improvements for your average weight lifter. Doing 5/3/1 consistently will give you a good idea of your progress, as long as you keep your sets logged.

For example, I know during my last week of benching I could barely hit 225 back in January, and mid cycle this time I hit 245 for 6, and failed on my 7th rep attempt. My squat was only 315 for 11, and I did 355 for 17 like a drat mad man. My dead lift has exploded along with my squat too. I haven't done a true 1rm attempt since about new years 2013 or 2012 since I don't participate in competitions. I do know that I'm significantly stronger though just by the weight and reps I'm pushing when compared to my older numbers.

Assistance work is key, and will open the doors to greater progress in your main lifts. Always do assistance work. Whether it's stuff that focuses on strength and explosiveness in your main lifts or traditional body building lifts. Preferably both as it'll help your overall strength immensely.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 9, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Any recommendations on assistance work? Pretty limited on equipment since I use my garage. In addition to barbell, plates, and flat bench I have a spin bike, dip station, and treadmill.

vains
May 26, 2004

pullups, curls, dips, rows

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Does the dip station have a pull up bar? Weighted pull ups and dips go a long way

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Christoff posted:

Does the dip station have a pull up bar? Weighted pull ups and dips go a long way

No it doesn't have a pullup bar.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Since space is tight, get yourself a pair of resistance bands and you can do a ton of dumbbell movements.

strength stuff:
rack/board press
press with a sling shot
clapping pushups
push press
jerks
rack ohp
front squat
box squat
rack squat
jump squat (body weight or with a bar)
deficit dls
rack dls
power cleans
kroc rows

regular lifting stuff
pause press
db/band flys
db/band press
db/band pullovers
close/narrow grip press
band crossovers
behind the neck press
db/band lateral raises
db/band rear delt flys
band face pulls
overhead tricep extentions
band kick backs
band push downs
dips off a box or the dip station
skull crushers
pause squat
lunges
one legged squat/pistols
step ups
glute ham bridge
good mornings
calf raises (off a box or stacked plates for added pain)
yates row
bent row
db/band row
hanging leg raise
pullups
curls
band curls
reverse curls
band concentration curls
band seated curls

Just to name a few. Go here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/ and sort by equipment and you can find a ton more.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 9, 2014

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Went overboard with gains on cleans, I've missed SS. So simple yet you're always walking dead after accessory poo poo.

Relevant: Drunk beats DOMS.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Cycle 2 Day 2 5/3/1, Squat Day. Hit all my reps and decided to do a Tabata workout on the spin bike with moderate resistance. 20/10 for 4 minutes. Holy poo poo I was so gassed at the end of that. I laid on the floor without moving a bit for 10 minutes.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Cycle 2 Day 2 5/3/1, Squat Day. Hit all my reps and decided to do a Tabata workout on the spin bike with moderate resistance. 20/10 for 4 minutes. Holy poo poo I was so gassed at the end of that. I laid on the floor without moving a bit for 10 minutes.

5/3/1, BBB and Tabata has been my poo poo for a couple months now. I've been seeing pretty good results, and you can do the whole thing without needing much other than a squat rack and olympic bar.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Was starting to develop palm calluses again recently and, since my fingers are already ugly from playing guitar, decided to buy some straps.

Holy poo poo I can't recommend them enough, hands are healing well. Also I'm pretty sure they're the reason for my stupid gains on dead lifts this week.

Go buy straps.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You using them for every set or just your maxs? I've been meaning to try straps for at least my last couple max sets.

Also invest in a pumice stone to smooth out your calluses.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Click Beelay posted:

Was starting to develop palm calluses again recently and, since my fingers are already ugly from playing guitar, decided to buy some straps.

Holy poo poo I can't recommend them enough, hands are healing well. Also I'm pretty sure they're the reason for my stupid gains on dead lifts this week.

Go buy straps.

Not a proponent of straps myself unless you are going really heavy. if you can out pull your grip than you should probably work on your grip. On a related note, I'm taking this week off thanks to tweaking my back on Friday doing said deadlifts. My own fault, kept pushing when I knew I was tired and as a result let my form break down. Nothing too bad but I don't mess around with lower back stuff because it just makes everything you do painful. Next round of deadlifts will be a deload though just to be safe.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Christoff posted:

You using them for every set or just your maxs? I've been meaning to try straps for at least my last couple max sets.

Also invest in a pumice stone to smooth out your calluses.

Final warmup set and working weight, poo poo seems to be healing but if it pops up again I'll buy a stone.

vulturesrow posted:

Not a proponent of straps myself unless you are going really heavy. if you can out pull your grip than you should probably work on your grip. On a related note, I'm taking this week off thanks to tweaking my back on Friday doing said deadlifts. My own fault, kept pushing when I knew I was tired and as a result let my form break down. Nothing too bad but I don't mess around with lower back stuff because it just makes everything you do painful. Next round of deadlifts will be a deload though just to be safe.

Completely agree but I did a set beforehand without straps and poo poo was fine, in this case it's more me being a pussy about calluses than issues with grip strength.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

i slipped a disc in my lower back years ago and it still nags me to this day poo poo sucks

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Getting used to this midwest humidity out here

worked on clean technique yesterday, then did a few sets of full cleans
1x5 135
1x3 155
1x1 205

4x barbell complex of
5x deadlifts
5x bent rows
5x hang cleans
5x front squats
5x push press
5x back squats
65#-75#-85#-95#

30x kettle bell swings 50#

a lot harder than usual since this new gym has fancy kbs with completely slick metal handles. Forearms were dying.

4 rounds of
5x strict pullups
10x box dips
15x pushups
20x situps
30 sec rest between sets

then i did some planks then called it a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Back at it today after my self imposed week off site to straining my lower back being stupid with deadlifts. Today was OHPs week 2 cycle 2 of 5/3/1. I've also adopted the BBB template where you do 5x10 of the primary lift as assistance. I also did 100 weighted sit-ups (25lbs). Back feels good, just a little stiff but warmed up nicely.

I now they've jumped the shark to some extent but I'll be damnned if I don't love me some Flogging Molly, especially while I'm lifting.