Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Oh this looks like it will be fun to watch... The schadenfreude alone... let alone watching the people who are good at this game blowing through the tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Just got the basic path down and...WOOF.

I like it.

I like it like a sub loves spankings.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zebrin posted:

Oh this looks like it will be fun to watch... The schadenfreude alone... let alone watching the people who are good at this game blowing through the tracks.

I'm looking forward to the part where everyone will be pinballing through that last corner.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lone Goat posted:

I'm looking forward to the part where everyone will be pinballing through that last corner.

I feel like that was intentional because previous tracks ended like that and it's always silly.

In fact, a lot of tracks in the last trackmania had silly exits, if I remember correctly.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure if I like this track as much as the first one, but it's very cool and different. I also like the various choices that you've added. Wall rides are always fun too!

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I made a sub-minute time, and then I went on tilt, and had to stop. Everything past the wallride can gently caress right off.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Renegret posted:

I feel like that was intentional because previous tracks ended like that and it's always silly.

In fact, a lot of tracks in the last trackmania had silly exits, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, a good deal of official tracks have the car exiting at high speed into some big hazard.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
A loud voice in my head is telling me you can cheat that swiveled left turn after the wallride with enough speed, but I don't think my car believes it :(

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Ugh, finally got sub 1 minute and actually dealt with the final turn rather well. Actually enjoying this track, and looking forward to improving my time when my fingers stop hurting.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'm comparing my best time against Entropist's demo run.

This is a picture of us at midrace, he's the grey speck off in the distance.

I beat his run by nearly a second, so clearly I have a lot of opportunities for improvement (such as: not hitting all the walls)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Woooh, managed to get under a minute in not an obcene number of tries.

This track manages to be more bizarre than the last one. Maybe pubbie tracks are just that boring.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ViggyNash posted:

Woooh, managed to get under a minute in not an obcene number of tries.

This track manages to be more bizarre than the last one. Maybe pubbie tracks are just that boring.

They really are, there are only like 2-3 servers with cool maps.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Ok after going through all the submissions, I decided it's time to finish up the Goon Cup website to automate the process. What this means is automated replay submissions, time tracking, leaderboard generation, the works!

Check it out! Track 1 results are up!

In the future use the website to submit your replays unless you experience any problems, as it'll make the whole process much simpler and avoid errors. Specially since a bunch of you had missing info, erroneous replays, etc. :v: Remember the game always autosaves your best time so you don't need to worry about doing it manually, often you'll just make it worse.

Replays that don't show times in Trackmania: Renegret, Twisted Eye, FillInTheBlank, Spelling Mitsake, Strong Mouse, AtomicSX, Clitch (fixed by cracking them open in the replay editor)
Replays with multiple runs: Rickvoid

Please email us so we can sort out your times and put you in the leaderboards.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Having now retried an obscene number of times, I can safely confirm that the first checkpoint is an rear end in a top hat.

e: There's just no solidly reliable way to take that first couple turn and so I'm stuck repeating that intro section dozens of times over every time I replay, trying not to lose a tenth of a second on my ghost.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 13, 2014

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

SupSuper posted:

Nice job on the site! Looks pretty.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SupSuper posted:

Ok after going through all the submissions, I decided it's time to finish up the Goon Cup website to automate the process. What this means is automated replay submissions, time tracking, leaderboard generation, the works!

Does this mean multiple submissions are allowed, and we can see how people are doing in pseudo-real time?

Also holy poo poo Entropist, how did you get under 38? I can't even figure out how to get under 41.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

ViggyNash posted:

Does this mean multiple submissions are allowed, and we can see how people are doing in pseudo-real time?

Also holy poo poo Entropist, how did you get under 38? I can't even figure out how to get under 41.

We have already established that Entropist is a machine designed to make others look bad at Trackmania.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Got my replay sorted out and sent in, which should secure me the 21st place spot with 39.98 seconds.

Middle of the pack. Better than I was expecting.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

RickVoid posted:

Got my replay sorted out and sent in, which should secure me the 21st place spot with 39.98 seconds.

Middle of the pack. Better than I was expecting.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's actually 43.98, unless you sent in the wrong file.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

SupSuper posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's actually 43.98, unless you sent in the wrong file.

Y'know, it's funny. No matter how many times I read that it's 43.98 it still gets saved in my head as 39.98. I've seriously thought it was that for the last week.

Ugh. 51st place doesn't sound nearly as nice. At least I'm not last.

*edit* Actually watched Entropist's replay for Baconic Rites for the first time. Would you believe that I had been comlpeting the course without making that hard left turn shortly after the wall-ride?

Literally just barely squeezed under a minute. The good news is that means I only need to knock off nearly three seconds to get below Entropist's poo poo time.

:smithicide:

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 13, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SupSuper posted:

Well above middle of the pack. :woop:

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 13, 2014

drifterofhell
Nov 5, 2009
38th place alllllright way better then I thought I was going to be at!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Hey mom look! I'm average!
Now, for the replay I think I'll be near the top for a good part of the race only to decelerate on that loving last turn :angry:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My best time was the one where I hosed up the dirt section but everything else went smoothly, as opposed to all the other runs where I nailed that section but hosed up the last turn. So I'm probably going to look like a total idiot once we get to that point :v:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Man, I sure am bad at video games.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Well, hell, figured I'd be lower actually.

I don't forsee my prospects improving though.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Well I can't complain too much. I only figured out how to handle that stupid hump a few hours before the deadline.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

drifterofhell posted:

38th place alllllright way better then I thought I was going to be at!

Ha, just managed to squeeze in front of you.

Considering it's my first time playing this, I'm quite happy with these first round results! Unfortunately, the second track isn't going nearly as well. Reached the point where it was getting frustrating playing, but I don't have any time before the deadline to come back and try again. Think I will be quite a bit further down the rankings this week.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Eh, it's an OK time for a broken CPU cooler.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Eh, it's an OK time for a broken CPU cooler.

Do you drive slower when your CPU isn't cool? Because then I have a problem, since my CPU is cooled properly but I still drive bad :(

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

SupSuper posted:

WOO! I beat the next guy by 3 seconds! Highest score!

Wait. What do you mean "Low numbers are better?!"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I can't believe all of the sub 39 times on there.

My end goal was sub 39, and I partied like hell when my first sub 39 was 39.5.

Very proud of being 8th...but there's no way I'll be doing that well in the next track. It's tough, and I don't have the time to brute force it like I did the last one.

e:

And I'm even more impressed that a sub 37 was possible.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

This new track is terrible and I hate you.

Also I think you were suffering from phantom post syndrome.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I actually like this track more but holy gently caress do I hate the first checkpoint - thanks for putting it at the start though.

Also pretty happy with 21st for track 1 - couldn't really be bothered to bang my head against a wall to cut the 40 and it appears many of you could.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The new track is harder for everyone equally, so don't let that stop you!

Yeah good job, I'm impressed by how many people got under 40. My original best time when I released the track was about 38.4, glad I improved it a bit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

mfcrocker posted:

I actually like this track more but holy gently caress do I hate the first checkpoint - thanks for putting it at the start though.

Also pretty happy with 21st for track 1 - couldn't really be bothered to bang my head against a wall to cut the 40 and it appears many of you could.

I've long since given up on doing it the "right" way. I'm simply not good enough. gently caress this course gently caress this game gently caress gently caress gently caress

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
My noob method for the checkpoint has proven to be consistent, if not lightning fast.

I accelerate from the start to the apex of the right turn, then coast through to the apex of the left. Accelerate again, and then cut the throttle right at the jump. I'd say I clear the edge and miss the top of the checkpoint 80% of the time.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

gently caress this course gently caress this game gently caress gently caress gently caress

New thread title, right there.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So after getting pissed off burnt out with Entropist's track, I decided to try to make my own. I was going to post it here for people to criticize and tear apart, but the editor seems to be stuck. I was some of the stuff next to the validation button, and I went into the scripts section (don't remember exactly what it was called) and hit edit on one of them to see what I could do with it.

Only now I can't get out of that interface and I don't remember when I saved.

Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Are you on a screen that looks like this on the lower left?

If so, TM2 may be waiting on you to place a trigger, and it won't do anything as long as you're in that mode. To turn off that mode, press the circled/arrowed button. At that point, you should just be able to hit Esc and go back to the regular editor.

Hopefully that's it...if not, provide a screenie, and I'll try to help.

• Locked thread